Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

I don't think I've ever struggled as much with a ME as I am now. 

I'm playing well , shots on target% is good and shot positions are varied but Kane is missing absolute sitters from literal yards. AM seems to drop really deep in 18 even played in the AM starta.  I don't hane a single player with an avr over 7.

Thinking a break till the game has had a patch might be in order. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, haffaz77 said:

Wow , even in the Release Version , Man City , Barca and other Possession teams , are not really playing their style of Football . That is really disappointing ...  City and Barca having average Possession lower than 50% lmao ... I thought that was something knew and gonna fix ?

This is a known issue since previous FM versions..

I have even mentioned it myself some years back, they said they will look at it but it seems after so many years they still cannot fix it....Very disappointing..

At least is there any chance it will be fixed in this years version with a future patch or it will stay like this forever?

35 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

I don't think I've ever struggled as much with a ME as I am now. 

I'm playing well , shots on target% is good and shot positions are varied but Kane is missing absolute sitters from literal yards. AM seems to drop really deep in 18 even played in the AM starta.  I don't hane a single player with an avr over 7.

Thinking a break till the game has had a patch might be in order. 

A new patch isn't going to suddenly make your team play well 

11 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

A new patch isn't going to suddenly make your team play well 

It'll bring changes to the ME though. 

I know your m.o on these threads but I subscribe to Rashidi's patreon and read his book , i spend half my work day on sites like Cleons, I've used the same base tactic for 3 games in a row so it's not like I'm angry cause I've downloaded "the new diablo" from some fansite and it's not working.  

The ME doesnt feel right to me just yet sms it'll save me nights of frustration if i just continue a 17 save till 18 has had a little polish.  If in the long term its still not enjoyable - these things happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well after a good weekend on the full release, am still in my beta save with Wolves, but just some general feelings on the game.

After initially not being sure on it with all the changes, it hasn't taken me long to get used to them all and love the game as I do every year, I could literally loses days playing, if I could.

Love the dynamics feature, which I think works really well and is especially good once you have won the players over. Enjoying the analysis on the tactics screen, showing how well players link up and what areas you are leaving exposed. 

I have been watching the matches in 2D on key highlights and am really enjoying the 2D view and the ME, the only issue I have with the ME is the keepers spilling crosses for a corner, which can be annoying if your chasing a game, other from that I have no problems.

I know alot of people don't like the UI because of the extra clicks, but I like it and to be honest the extra clicks isn't really that big of an issue for me anyway. There's alot of small  touches as well which I think are brilliant for example, asking if you still want to make changes after a goal has been scored, or the trophy presentation.

Overall for me loving fm18.

12 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

It'll bring changes to the ME though. 

I know your m.o on these threads but I subscribe to Rashidi's patreon and read his book , i spend half my work day on sites like Cleons, I've used the same base tactic for 3 games in a row so it's not like I'm angry cause I've downloaded "the new diablo" from some fansite and it's not working.  

The ME doesnt feel right to me just yet sms it'll save me nights of frustration if i just continue a 17 save till 18 has had a little polish.  If in the long term its still not enjoyable - these things happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you subscribe to @Rashidi Patreon then he'd be the first to tell you waiting for an update to solve your issues is like looking for fools gold. Ditto @Cleon. Your call though. 

2 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

If you try really, really hard, you might be able to stop typing utter tripe.

We get that you have issues with the game, but it gets very old, very fast.

IIRC, there are boosts and penalties to attributes for playing home and away respectively. So he's not totally wrong. Scripted might not be the word though but sentiment remains.

Guest El Payaso

I don't know why people keep complaining about having to click too many times. I haven't noticed anything like that in the game and also wonder what people expect the game to be like: some arcade game where you surf through a season in couple of hours, paying no attention to anything and still being successful? 

You even have the option to delegate basically everything in the game for your staff so why complain? I think it is definitely the right way from SI to give use more to do between the games and pre-game so that we won't be that tempted to just holiday between games. Haven't been doing this for the last two versions and all the new features make me even less willing to do it. Fantastic work in terms of that from SI. 

The only real complaints that I have at the moment are the low difficulty level and big teams and great players under performing under the AI. The ME of course has some things to be improved but compared to FM 2017 it's a really solid one. 

2 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

I don't know why people keep complaining about having to click too many times.

The main complaints about this are the extra clicks to do simple stuff that weren't present last year, eg the player search screen, teamtalks, etc

Guest El Payaso
8 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The main complaints about this are the extra clicks to do simple stuff that weren't present last year, eg the player search screen, teamtalks, etc

I haven't seen any difference on those and they haven't made me spend huge amount of time on doing them. And for example team talks can be delegated to the AM if you don't like them. I'm not one of those people who seek to exploit these so I only use the talk to the whole team option and maybe praise someone playing really well or criticize someone not performing. If you want to use the "I have faith" trick then it might be a bit annoying to do but I don't mind that. :D

4 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

And for example team talks can be delegated to the AM if you don't like them.

The point I'm making is that the 'extra clicks' complaint people are having isn't the feature itself, it's the fact that you're having to click more times to do a task than what you did in previous games for absolutely no reason. It doesn't really bother me either, but that's what I think most are unhappy with. 

Not sure how many times others and myself have brought this up in different threads.

Are the Alexis Sanchez contract issues resolved yet or going to be resolved soon? In the BETA, it was impossible to keep at him at Arsenal even if you won the league.

This is the only thing stopping me from my starting my save on FM18.

11 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

Not sure how many times others and myself have brought this up in different threads.

Are the Alexis Sanchez contract issues resolved yet or going to be resolved soon? In the BETA, it was impossible to keep at him at Arsenal even if you won the league.

This is the only thing stopping me from my starting my save on FM18.

I note that you have asked this in the relevant Bugs forum so that should be the place to check for answers.

2 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

lol...

OK- I will bite- why the lol?

You asked a question in this thread that will probably not get an answer from anyone who knows- you asked in the correct thread in the Bugs forum and you may get an answer but at least it is in the right place.

17 minutes ago, FrazT said:

OK- I will bite- why the lol?

You asked a question in this thread that will probably not get an answer from anyone who knows- you asked in the correct thread in the Bugs forum and you may get an answer but at least it is in the right place.

The lol is because there has been no acknowledgment from SI in my  post in the other forum so that's obviously why I have asked here. Sure, I probably won't get an answer here (or other thread) but I don't care, I'm asking anyway because I really want to know about this issue and so do others. There were threads about it in the beta, there's threads about it in the dynamics forum and mine in the transfers/contracts forum and the Arsenal team and player guide thread is full of people discussing the same thing. I have even seen multiple reddit threads about it. So I will keeping asking about it as I have paid money for the game and this issue is stopping me from starting my save. :)

16 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

The lol is because there has been no acknowledgment from SI in my  post in the other forum so that's obviously why I have asked here. Sure, I probably won't get an answer here (or other thread) but I don't care, I'm asking anyway because I really want to know about this issue and so do others. There were threads about it in the beta, there's threads about it in the dynamics forum and mine in the transfers/contracts forum and the Arsenal team and player guide thread is full of people discussing the same thing. I have even seen multiple reddit threads about it. So I will keeping asking about it as I have paid money for the game and this issue is stopping me from starting my save. :)

if it is stopping you playing the game, and you are lucky enough that it is your only issue, i would recommend using the editor to sort it out. why bother waiting for some one to fix something you can do yourself :)

20 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

You posted in the Transfers forum last Friday.  There was also a reply from Alex Hall from SI in another thread on 7/11 acknowledging the issue that had been passed to the coders and that they hoped for a resolution soon, so hopefully it is being looked at.

6 minutes ago, lemeuresnew said:

if it is stopping you playing the game, and you are lucky enough that it is your only issue, i would recommend using the editor to sort it out. why bother waiting for some one to fix something you can do yourself :)

Never used the editor before but as a last resort that is a great recommendation. Funnily enough I just checked the editor forum and someone was asking about the same thing. Woiuld be better for the issue to be solved properly for everyone to enjoy.

2 minutes ago, FrazT said:

You posted in the Transfers forum last Friday.  There was also a reply from Alex Hall from SI in another thread on 7/11 acknowledging the issue that had been passed to the coders and that they hoped for a resolution soon, so hopefully it is being looked at.

I saw that response but it's during the BETA...there has been no response from SI since. 

Guest El Payaso
7 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm playing with two strikers and my team is 10 points clear at the top of the league, so that's nonsense for a start. 

Depends on what you expect from a two striker formation. For me it's unplayable as neither of the strikers will drop to defend and for me the defensive shape is the main thing when I play. Even the mark specific position apparently doesn't work so this doesn't fix it. Don't even want to imagine how for example Atletico Madrid's defensive setup looks like. 

1 hour ago, El Payaso said:

Depends on what you expect from a two striker formation. For me it's unplayable as neither of the strikers will drop to defend and for me the defensive shape is the main thing when I play. Even the mark specific position apparently doesn't work so this doesn't fix it. Don't even want to imagine how for example Atletico Madrid's defensive setup looks like. 

I had a trial game with 2 strikers who combined beautifully. Most of my goals came from one passing across the box to the other who'd tap in. 

Now I've restarted and all my 4 strikers are poachers, so I've had to rejig to one up top, with less success.

Si, I know you get seemingly endless moans when a new game is released but I would just like say after a weekend playing FM18 I think it’s fantastic. I  am more than confident that it will be able to keep me out of other potential mischief & therefore will save me money over the next 12 months.

Much appreciated. Have a chocolate hobnob on me.

Norlye

Just loaded up FM to find my save game could not be loaded. :(

My next save is two months prior to it, but it means I've lost what was going to be an epic final matchday in League 2, where Luton sit top of League 2 and I am Sat in second place with only a singular point between us. 

Still I may be able to win the title now with a better run of form towards the end but I'd have liked to experience that original scenario. 

Guessing theres no way to recover it? 

I notice one minor problem with the option of "Create commercial link" in "Negotiate Existing Affiliation". I tried it with Liverpool, Everton and Juventus. Every time when I got the board to agree to that request, I receive a message about the link has been renegotiated, but no detail followed by that, unlike in other cases the message will show what change has been added. The affiliate list also doesn't show any commercial link having been added to the existing link.

I am not too sure if this is intentional, like the renegotiation fails, because other types of renegotiation never seems to fail once the board approves it. If that is not the case, then this may be a minor bug.  If that is the case on the other hand, it is still an example of lacking feedback from the system.

3 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Depends on what you expect from a two striker formation. 

Target Man-Poacher combination, Working fine just now. And I also have the best defensive record in the league. Fortunately, I'm not one of those who obsesses over whether it looks or plays EXACTLY like real football, therefore I tend to get more enjoyment out of it. 

10 hours ago, El Payaso said:

I haven't seen any difference on those and they haven't made me spend huge amount of time on doing them. And for example team talks can be delegated to the AM if you don't like them. I'm not one of those people who seek to exploit these so I only use the talk to the whole team option and maybe praise someone playing really well or criticize someone not performing. If you want to use the "I have faith" trick then it might be a bit annoying to do but I don't mind that. :D

To me it relates mainly to the match day experience so far, and I agree, it's multiple times more clicks than previous. I'll outline some of my own personal "match analysis" off previous. Let's say you're in-match, don'T play every match at 90 minutes, but still want some gauge as to how things may be developing. Previous, it may have been like this.

1) The more detailed match stats showing some semi-useful stuff (long shots, !!!) being available at a glance. No more. Every time to get there, you have to switch from "pitch" to "analysis". From there on you go into the  "match stats", and then on the  "stats", and only then you'll be right in. (The basic formation screens are just as many clicks away now too)

789660d1425983210-mission-imposible-burn

2) As "shots // shots on target" may not be the best metric to actually gauge quality, let's take a look at the shot spread. More clicks too, than previous, starting right with always switching from "pitch" to "analysis"

1119643d1498078461-fiorentina-can-once-p

3) As there isn't a stat for this (would still be infinitely more useful than the subjective chance categories traditionally being all over the place), this can still be misleading, as it didn't display which shots were from set pieces, counters, generally open play (here marked green the set piece ones, which traditionally, similar to football, aren't converted that oftenly into goals, even if they are on target). Previously, readily available in less clicks: the match analysis screens to watch the shots back to back. Now also a couple additionally clicks.

OVCgu9d.jpg

That's it in more simplistic terms. None of this takes the context into account. Naturally, if I'd park the bus myself, I'd gauge long shots and set piece attempts, as if that's all they have, things may go reasonable well. If I would aim for a win whilst being favourites, the same happening to my team, perhaps even the majority of attempts being exclusively from set piece play, would be the sign that opposition defenders get a foot into play time and time again. Etc. Add to this that getting to more advanced individual player stats also takes more clicks, and that such could display interesting information too (a player completing tons of dribbles wreaking havoc either due to him being gifted the space or the defender set up against him not being much cop to cope with his, header completion rates of forwards/defenders being an indication whether the player they are set up against can deal with their aerial prowess or the assists they are given, etc.)

tldr; match analysis for sure is more clicks for same informtion as previous. Then again, there was an interview a couple weeks ago with Miles where he stated the UI overhauls were geared towards a "less patient" style of playing, e.g. presenting a few simple key stats better to playrs (sounds like the approach taken on TV, where possession and shots are the most readily used stats -- though of questionably usefulness for any manager, sadly). So streamlining  some "analysis", however simple (and the above is), may have been not the main target.

Edited by Svenc

19 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Why does the 2022 world cup still get re-arranged? Just interested to know why. I thought it was already confirmed.

There's no confirmation how the league's fixtures are going to be restructured to allow for the world cup. 

36 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Why does the 2022 world cup still get re-arranged? Just interested to know why. I thought it was already confirmed.

14 minutes ago, Spedding said:

There's no confirmation how the league's fixtures are going to be restructured to allow for the world cup. 

This.  The work that it would take to completely rearrange every league system in the world (particularly when seasons aren't (presumably) coded to be dynamic in that way is considerable, and I doubt there's much appetite to undertake that when it isn't absolutely confirmed yet.  Wouldn't be surprised if they've put some time into it behind the scenes so that it's easier once (if) they do have to do it, but it's much easier at this stage just to move the tournament every time.

Had a few days with it and here is my general opinion.

Pros

• Really like the player dynamics system, I'm sure a lot of it was already somewhat modeled but being able to easily see what is happening with regards to player relations is great.
  • Analysis when creating a tactic is much better, provides quick tips on what is not going to work even if at first glance your tactic seems OK. Really great improvement.

Cons

• The scouting panel is... well I really dislike it. I've made software for football clubs, specifically for scouting. If I had created that interface for them, they'd have hated it. I have to go through, one at a time, players that I don't really care about before getting to players I've actually requested to scout. Some of the buttons are unclear (acknowledge vs. reject). What was once quite simple, has become unclear. Why not have that page not as a default, but have a more traditional list view giving you recommendations at a glance instead of the screen where you have to go through 10 notifications?
    • Related, scouts seem to pay almost no real attention to the constraints the club is under. I had a go as Ipswich and got very frustrated at getting players recommended that costed £5mil+ when that is 25 times your budget. Whilst I can see the thought of "maybe this would be useful later for you" you should be able to filter these out if you know you're not going to be able to afford someone like that for a while.

Will probably update this when I think of more.

13 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

If you try really, really hard, you might be able to stop typing utter tripe.

We get that you have issues with the game, but it gets very old, very fast.

For what it's worth, haven't generally seen huge finishing woes either, except when it's tactial (see AI couples pages back). However, some of the defending is more tight. From long-time playing experience, the more vehemently somebody argues his "forward would miss sitter after sitter", the more likely you'll see something like this when the matches are provided. That's not even arguing the game were accurate, that's more arguing that the benchmarks of players tend to be all wrong (Fifa), or they need their goggles checked in the abscence of better feedback. For as long as most shots on this see the keeper in the edge / the forward not expected to score (BIG chances in analysis start at a goal probability at around 20%), a few streak happen in and on themselves, and better should if the aim is football. On this too, from gauging AI too, if you don't get your forward to average about 4-5 attempts per match at least, he won't score a goal every match, anyway. Exclusively crap attempts like in the vid above which will make shot conversions take a dive have traditionally always been possible as you can choke the space / reduce the likelyhood of scoring without the game spoon feeding you why. The measures taken in the above would have reduced the likelyhood of scoring on a football pitch all the same. The guy's been falling for the fallacy that keeping play compact makes him more easily bossing possession, as players stick more closely together. If they don't spread some though, that also doesn't help to spread a defense, which isn't even something universal to football. Keeping play compact is primarily a means of cautious in any sports on this planet. Doing so purely in a misguided attempt to keep possession better has never changed it.

I can't post that oftenly enough. Firstly due to some missing feeedback. Secondly, as the above video to this day represents all the stuff reasonably hard to convert evidently, even if it's all inside the opposition box. Even that one on one in the second half, where the forward receives the through ball from a central position played in his back, rather than from a wider position straight into his running path. He thus has to turn and shoot at the same time, whilst the keeper, as in any one on one (the name should give it away) is still totally game, comes out and reduces the angle, and also typically competitive on the level he tends to play at. This kind of cut back and first touch finish as here from Arsenal has always resulted far more likely into a goal than any dreaded one on one, and that is fully justified as with the ball changing direction in an instant off the first touch (or else it would go anywhere but on target), his chance of reacting are minimal. Similar applies to many a cross connecting, physics 101. It's also not even statistically registered anywhere if you watch, but then the chance categories in game have always been very bad for gauging much of anything.

Edited by Svenc

8 hours ago, krlenjushka said:

Is there any progress in multi-core support on FM18?

Anyone? I have plans to buy new PC soon and i need to know this. If FM18 is still single-core friendly i know what to buy. If there is better multi-core support i will go for Zen.

6 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

Anyone? I have plans to buy new PC soon and i need to know this. If FM18 is still single-core friendly i know what to buy. If there is better multi-core support i will go for Zen.

Have a look here:

Is there a way to flip the Tactics Pitch view in a game?
Every other tactic screen is vertical, not sure why this one is horizontal. 

Also, is there a way in this view when clicking on a player, it will highlight the attributes for the particular position they have been assigned to? 
Not sure if I have missed the option or if this is the way it goes for 18

11 hours ago, Alekos said:

This is a known issue since previous FM versions..

I have even mentioned it myself some years back, they said they will look at it but it seems after so many years they still cannot fix it....Very disappointing..

At least is there any chance it will be fixed in this years version with a future patch or it will stay like this forever?

And nobody is reacting to it. Or telling us if they gonna fix it, or why they don't . It is simply ridiculous that it happens in the Premier League which is (i think) the most detailed one in the Game... And everybody knows how Guardiola wants his teams to play . C'est la vie ... i guess  

42 minutes ago, dedwards15 said:

Had a few days with it and here is my general opinion.

Pros

• Really like the player dynamics system, I'm sure a lot of it was already somewhat modeled but being able to easily see what is happening with regards to player relations is great.
  • Analysis when creating a tactic is much better, provides quick tips on what is not going to work even if at first glance your tactic seems OK. Really great improvement.

Cons

• The scouting panel is... well I really dislike it. I've made software for football clubs, specifically for scouting. If I had created that interface for them, they'd have hated it. I have to go through, one at a time, players that I don't really care about before getting to players I've actually requested to scout. Some of the buttons are unclear (acknowledge vs. reject). What was once quite simple, has become unclear. Why not have that page not as a default, but have a more traditional list view giving you recommendations at a glance instead of the screen where you have to go through 10 notifications?
    • Related, scouts seem to pay almost no real attention to the constraints the club is under. I had a go as Ipswich and got very frustrated at getting players recommended that costed £5mil+ when that is 25 times your budget. Whilst I can see the thought of "maybe this would be useful later for you" you should be able to filter these out if you know you're not going to be able to afford someone like that for a while.

Will probably update this when I think of more.

you dont have to go thru player by player.. there is a drop down named 'requested' and that list is whom you requested be scouted.. bear in mind once you request a player be scouted he doesnt get added to shortlist automatically so manually add that player

I find the UI for Set Pieces a little frustrating.

Corners:

I have to set this 4 times for each of my three tactics. It would be nice if I could easily duplicate a setup.

F.x. If I set up one for Right-side Defend, then let me easily clone it to Left Defend as well. Currently I would have to first save it, then switch sides and the reload it. Also it would be nice if the most recent or most used saved setups appeared on the dropdown for routines, so I wouldn't have to load the same setup again and again (and again).

Let me be able to apply the total setup (Defend Right/Left & Attack Right/Left) to all my tactics, as well as letting me apply them as default to any new tactic I might employ. And preferably also across all squads.

Free Kicks:

With the addition of three (?) new free kick setups, all of the above would be nice here too (where applicable).

Takers:

Again let me clone my set piece takers for all tactics. I hate having to do this every time.

Let me also clone FK taker to all the different free kick setups.

Let me add players on the bench to the lists, so I don't have to remember to do it once they come in (only applicable for changes made after submitting the team).

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, StormenDK said:

I have to set this 4 times for each of my three tactics. It would be nice if I could easily duplicate a setup.

You can save and load set piece routines. 

5 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

You can save and load set piece routines. 

I'm gonna have to check that out :) ... but it would still be nice to easily set something as default, so I don't have to load it for every squad and tactic.

To me it definitely seems like there is an issue with player finishing in the game, from all aspects of it.  All too often, while watching matches and viewing the highlights, players will try shots from outside the penalty area and miss spectacularly, even if there is a clear passing option (with retain possession/shoot less often selected), players shooting too early when one-on-one with the goalkeepers or under pressure from defenders even when there is space to run (even with work ball into box selected).

I don't understand why there isnt a way to tell your players/team as a whole to take long shots much less often or to only try to shoot when in the penalty area, then tweak attacking midfielder/offensive MCs instructions to shoot more often if required.  The match engine in FM18 seems well balanced, the players seem to act like they are expected to and do as they are told (apart from the getting carved apart by through balls issue which has been well documented) apart from strikers and forwards not shooting at the correct opportunities despite what the team instructions are.

I really like FM18 so far, the QOL improvements are great and I like the new scouting system, but this shooting issue is a real bug bear.

Also, the obfuscation of reasons for a tutoring fails, is annoying. I know it is probably just a percentage chance, but still.

Have had two tutorings fail within weeks, even though the players had the same personality.

Problem is that I can't see why it failed, just that despite them having same personality, something went wrong. But why?

i still feel that part of the game is a huge lottery, and not very clear. Why not expand it, so if there is a problem during the 6 months, that the players could come to me if it was going sour, before it just ends because someone got upset (but who?).

F.x. The tutor could come to me and tell me that he is feeling that the youngster is not motivated to take his advice, or that the youngster feels the tutor is an idiot and he would prefer to have the tutoring stopped, before they start hating each other.

4 minutes ago, stoned_assasin said:

Has anybody found a use for these pre match meetings yet? From what i gathered from a few forums is that most if not all people don't even bother with them?

Just seems like another opportunity to boost morale ever so slightly.

I hardly ever use it. If you click on a team instruction, I have no idea if the players take extra notice in the game. Perhaps someone could confirm this?

For example, you have "Explot Left Flank" on team instructions.

In the team briefing you have an option to click this and say "I want us to exploit the left flank today". Is this carried out with emphasis in the game or is it just some sort of RPG element?