Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

Guest El Payaso

Anyone else noticing that it is extremely difficult to win the ball back in this match engine. I have only watched comprehensive highlights and basically never see teams winning the ball back from any other situation but through some mindless pass attempt. Seen lot of really long passing chains without the defenders ever getting close to winning the ball back. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's impossible for me to keep my squad happy. Now suddenly one player, out of the blue, is unhappy about my decision making, and a lot of other players are unhappy because of my treatment of this particular player. Mind you, I haven't had one discussion with neither the player nor the squad about anything yet. Bonkers.

I sometimes get the feeling SI cunfuses "crazy hard" with "fun". 

Edited by Viking

2 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Anyone else noticing that it is extremely difficult to win the ball back in this match engine. I have only watched comprehensive highlights and basically never see teams winning the ball back from any other situation but through some mindless pass attempt. Seen lot of really long passing chains without the defenders ever getting close to winning the ball back. 

Yes, I am seeing this too. That, and a lot of set piece goals. And Giroud is better than Messi/CR7 combined.

3 hours ago, warlock said:

You'll need to explain why, because a long-time player (such as myself) thinks the scouting system in FM18 is not only excellent, but obvious. The game even tells you when you're about to incur additional costs. We can argue whether the costs are realistic (I don't have the faintest idea) but I just don't understand the complaints on the forum.

I don't think you realise that any player scouted to 100% currently (whether by instruction or automatic) is incurring costs of 800ish per player, on top of scout wages and on top of package costsand this is hidden. Check you finances I  game and you may be in for a shock!

8 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

In real life, they are currently on course to score 76 goals this season, the same season as the first year in FM is simulating.  

Last 3 years they scored. 110, 112 and 116. Almost the same numbers for Real Madrid. Either the defenses are too good which i doubt or the top players do not play like top players.

I wouldn't know since i manage Padova.

18 hours ago, Preveza said:

Why would I buy the demo when I know what I will be getting. Yeah there are a few new features etc. But come on. Not as if I am trying a completely new genre, and I have no idea what to expect. Simple as that. Yeah, I'm disappointed, but these issues will most likely be rectified in upcoming patches. 

Gullibility is not the right word to use. Gullible for what?? I can easily afford the game, and my remark about wasting $65 was my mistake which I should have not made. Suppose it was me showing bitterness.

But the core game is quite similar to previous versions; Demos are for people who have never played FM before, or at least have not picked it up for 3-4 years. Different story there. I'm gullible for spending $65 on a game which has given me thousands of hours of good time well spent; naww yeah.

Well, if you're now retracting your comment about regretting purchasing it, which triggered off the entire debate, I'm not quite sure why you're still arguing... that's neutered the discussion. 

@roykela makes some excellent points. If we don't try before we buy, we only have ourselves to blame. Good for you that you can 'easily afford the game', but not everyone can. I stand by my comment about brand loyalty equaling gullibility. I don't completely disclude myself from this btw. We're unfortunately all guilty of it, but come on, we're the ones that deserve the loyalty.

Have just started up my first FM18 save with Liverpool. Some observations:

- I really don't like the new scouting system (reports/scout meetings). Endless repetitive clicking from one player to the next. I want to see all the scout results with star rating at one page (overview) just like in previous version instead of clicking next 40 times. Perhaps there is another way of doing this (I am still new to FM18).

- Match Engine. There is a significant number of flat crosses (completely identical situations) from my Wingers with direction towards the near post/side net (I mostly have "Key Highlights" and 3D). Most of these crosses are then handled by the GK sitting down on the knees resulting in a corner. The crosses look like a mix between a Shot and a Cross.  I have "Mixed" crosses in Team instructions (the default). But I have noticed the same thing with "Whipped crosses".  This was not something I noticed in FM17. 

- When clicking a Player to see his attributes/general info the age is not visible. In order to see the player age you have to close the Player view and then click the Player once more. Then 2nd time it is visible. Alternatively you have to calculate the age based on birth date but I do not want to spend time on that :-) This is a bug and I assume this is reported since it is so obvious.

Besides from the above, I am pretty pleased so far.

Edited by 303jonas

Couple of things:

1. when awarded a penalty there is a green bar at the top with the change player option(change penalty taker). when I click on cahnge player I get a menu with players on the pitc, I select player X and confirm, but the penalty is still shot by player Y. Is this a bug?

2. Why is there no scout & shortlist option? Only scout OR shortlist. Doesn't make any sense. If I want to shortlist him, then I have to again find him and scout him or vice versa. Not practical and quite illogical.

3. Inability to bypass the horizontal tactics pitch when playing a game and get to the classic vertical one is really a pain in the ass. I'm sorry but it just is. Terible design decision IMO.

4. Koscielny is homesick and wants to go back to France. I don't want to keep him unhappy and agree to sell him. After he was sold, I have Cech coming to me and asking why did I let a team leader go? From there, I have NO option to explain that he was homesic and wanted to go. I have to say something totally untrue and hope I don't upset Cech and with him half the team. So, no proper context option to defend my actions.

5. High injury risk for players playing 3 games in 14 days. I'm sorry but isn't it totally normal for top level teams to play 3 games in 14 days? If it was 3 games in 7 days, I would understand but this is a bit over the top.

6. Players asking for new contracts when it's only couple of months pass since they signed the new one.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.

8 hours ago, El Payaso said:

I see it all the time, both for and against - sliding tackles, block tackles, defensive interceptions. Of course, there's a lot of stray passes or - my favourite - your player kicking it against the heel or the backside of a teammate and the ball rebounding straight to an opponent.

There seem to be lots of these complaints about things "that never happen" in the match engine and yet I've seen all of them - penalties going wide or over the bar, direct free kicks scored, forwards lobbing the keeper. I've not seen an overhead kick in FM18 but I saw plenty in FM17 and they should be rare. I don't remember seeing a forward dribble completely around the keeper, but I've seen loads of goals where the forward moves one way and, when the keeper moves, goes back the other way to score.

I noticed the dreaded backpass-to-keeper-goes-to-corner "feature" is still prevailant in the ME :/ ... it's been around for years now. I see it at least once or twice in every game. Even in the VNS, this should not happen that often. Maybe once a season or so.

At least the number of corners from rebounds off a defender on a cross from 15-20m out has been reduced, though it does still happen.

10 hours ago, El Payaso said:

i played a high press and this frustrated me so much. It's down to the lack of intelligence of players (this seems to be a big problem for the game moving forward).  You hear about high pressing teams IRL how one player will trigger a press when a player in possession has a poor touch or poor pass ect.. and the team will immediately press high as a unit (i watch LFC a lot and this is clear with the team). This doesn't happen in FM i constantly see one player press and the others still in shape. There's literally nothing that can be done to solve this in tactics. It's something IRL that is worked on in training grounds, but in fm you can set to press high but there tactics are still insanely basic

Guest El Payaso
7 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

i played a high press and this frustrated me so much. It's down to the lack of intelligence of players (this seems to be a big problem for the game moving forward).  You hear about high pressing teams IRL how one player will trigger a press when a player in possession has a poor touch or poor pass ect.. and the team will immediately press high as a unit (i watch LFC a lot and this is clear with the team). This doesn't happen in FM i constantly see one player press and the others still in shape. There's literally nothing that can be done to solve this in tactics. It's something IRL that is worked on in training grounds, but in fm you can set to press high but there tactics are still insanely basic

High press for me is something that you cannot achieve in the game even though the initial press on the ball carrier seems to be improved a bit compared to 2017. So basically my style is to stand off yet using control mentality. I have two DMs and MC and when we defend all of them are basically always under the ball but the triangle that they create in defense is absolutely shockingly bad at times. I had several situations against Valencia where the three were basically holding hands and Valencia were passing through that with a 4-4-2 formation.

And before going to "it's your tactics" I am noticing same issues with the AI and even Cleon commented about my system that he doesn't see anything wrong with that so it is most definitely match engine issue which I have reported here:

4 hours ago, Bry said:

Well, if you're now retracting your comment about regretting purchasing it, which triggered off the entire debate, I'm not quite sure why you're still arguing... that's neutered the discussion. 

@roykela makes some excellent points. If we don't try before we buy, we only have ourselves to blame. Good for you that you can 'easily afford the game', but not everyone can. I stand by my comment about brand loyalty equaling gullibility. I don't completely disclude myself from this btw. We're unfortunately all guilty of it, but come on, we're the ones that deserve the loyalty.

Thanks for the reply, I hear you. :) Got a lot going on atm, and I took it too far. Thanks for the comments though, I appreciate it guys

I observed that there are more variety in goals. Long Rangers, headers hitting the post and going in but 1v1's still a problem. Strikers can't score enough 1v1.Besides that new 2d seems  bad at first look but it is not much different. Goal posts are barely visible. I just figured out that you can zoom in and out with mouse scroll if you don't know that. 

sigh - started a "create a club" save in Argentina with default start date. discover that it's 290 days until the league season starts. No time to schedule friendlies before the team leaves on break for 2 months. Get a recommendation to send a couple coaches for badges, go to the board, I get a "the schedule's too hectic at present to spare them" response. Um, when WOULD it be a good time, since there are NO players around and we're not playing league games for another 9 MONTHS? Seriously, I've started up 4 saves in the past week and walked away from all of them because of fundamental breaks in game reality. 

The number of chances/goals created with set pieces is absolutely ridicolous. In this moment 8 out of 10 goals scored (both by my team and the opponent) come from set pieces, no matter the routine I use or the players I field, it seem biased towards providing the attacking side an edge

I think this game still have two problems which I noticed also in the previous editions:

Rating of players

Players in certain positions seem to get higher rates than players even more skilled but playing in different positions, furthermore I think that when a player get a red card in the beginning of a game and/or with a dumb/violent foul, he should get a low rate; this is not happening in the game, because the player get the rate which he had at the moment when he got red card

Experience of players

It should be much more important in the game, this would reflect real football and would also prevent the gamers like me to follow a certain pattern in the career:

- you start in a lower division

- you hire on loan great talents from top leagues, it is easy to score them, it is enough to look at National U21 and U19 or in the U20 of top teams

- since you get these players for free and with the wage often paid by the top team, you can build a squad of great talents without spending big money

- often is easy to extend the loan and/or to get the player for free when his contract expires with the top team

This is not realistic at all: in real life a team with all players in the twenties, even if talented, would have hard time in English Championship or Italian Serie B or Serie C, even future top players would struggle in lower divisions, because of lack of experience and because they have not yet tactical knowledge. Without experience and tactical proficiency (some of which is represented in the mental skills of a player, for instance positioning, off the ball etc.) a player would not play great even if he has excellent technical and physical attributes. I know this is really difficult to implement, however I think it should be fixed, because in Leagues like in Italy, where there is no limits for number of players on loan, you see the lower leagues dominated by young prospects. This is not reflecting the reality.

I won the Champions League La Liga and Copa del Rey with Real Madrid and i only have 35% in manager support from the players. I can't sell anyone because they got mad everytime. I don't like this new feature at all.

Edited by Altair

Just now, penza said:

also, how do you remove 3d altogether i.e. not show the 3d stadium during game and where is the 'software mode' gone? thanks

The new graphic engine is in 3-D even the 2-D view is and software rendering is no longer available. I think it should be possible to remove the background stadiums and there is already a thread about it in the skinning forum.

Just now, KUBI said:

The new graphic engine is in 3-D even the 2-D view is and software rendering is no longer available. I think it should be possible to remove the background stadiums and there is already a thread about it in the skinning forum.

ok thats unfortunate as my game is so slow now, unplayable while in fm17 it was so much faster but thanks anyways. 

Despite having an unbeaten start to the season, I'm finding it really hard to like the ME so far. The vast majority of goals, both for and against, seem to originate from an inexplicably bad pass (often from a quality player who has many options) - which turns possession over. This brings me to the next issue I have with the match experience, which is extremely inconsistent player reactions to loose balls, particularly defenders and DMs. It seems like the player who is closest to a loose ball is seldom the guy that actually reaches it.

Passing in the middle third for both human and AI teams seems decent, but in the final third, I'm seeing some horrible stuff; culminating in rash long range shots despite several better sideways and forward options. For me, the FM17 ME had better variety, more fluidity and a greater feeling of reward when you scored a good team goal. 

Finally, defending indirect set pieces is the single biggest problem with the current build. Your defence sets up like a conga line with unmarked players outside the box. The AI just roll the ball across and they either (a) score a from distance, or (b) play in another unmarked player in the box because your defence doesn't break from the conga line formation. 

I added new version into my collection but not started to play yet.Nevertheless my first impression about stadiums. The tribunes are consist of many exit doors. Especially goal-back tribunes look like bus station. Its really annoying

I don't get this dynamics thing at all. At the beginning of the season, the managerial support was "average". Now, two wins and one draw later, the managerial support is "poor". The players are "less than impressed" with my performance as a manager, and "may start to question" my decision making. Why? As far as I know nothing particular has happened. Is this feature broken, or do I miss something? If the game is supposed to be like this I think I'll have to use a real time editor to reset the madness every now and then.

Edited by Viking

Lukaku missed a pen in the 70th minute.

As you can see, the message is still on the screen at the end of the game (in the green block) - overlapping the setting icon:

mheyxj.png

Buggy?

Edited by stevemc

2 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Despite having an unbeaten start to the season, I'm finding it really hard to like the ME so far. The vast majority of goals, both for and against, seem to originate from an inexplicably bad pass (often from a quality player who has many options) - which turns possession over. This brings me to the next issue I have with the match experience, which is extremely inconsistent player reactions to loose balls, particularly defenders and DMs. It seems like the player who is closest to a loose ball is seldom the guy that actually reaches it.

Passing in the middle third for both human and AI teams seems decent, but in the final third, I'm seeing some horrible stuff; culminating in rash long range shots despite several better sideways and forward options. For me, the FM17 ME had better variety, more fluidity and a greater feeling of reward when you scored a good team goal. 

Finally, defending indirect set pieces is the single biggest problem with the current build. Your defence sets up like a conga line with unmarked players outside the box. The AI just roll the ball across and they either (a) score a from distance, or (b) play in another unmarked player in the box because your defence doesn't break from the conga line formation. 

I wouldn't say the vast majority, and there is a lot about the ME i do like, but agree with the above.

Examples in the bugs thread would be a great help

2 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Totally agree. The match engine in 17 seemed alot cleaner than 18.

Have to say this is by far the worst football manager/championship manager in my life! 

My main issue was i couldnt change players roles without having to click to change for example a complete forward to an advanced forward 3 times. This bug i have seen reported a few times but nobody seems to know what to do. Its so frustrating taking 5 minutes to change all the roles before games.

Despite this the overall feel of the game doesnt flow the same as in fm 17 and it just seems to be over compliacted with pre match briefings completley pointless.

Played the game for about 40hours and got a refund the next day.  

The game definitely still needs improving on the flow, laggyness (is that a word) and general performance especially on match day. Overall I am really enjoying the game but it's such a task sometimes to make a sub, or do teamtalks etc...because the clicks just feel so slow. The extra clicks of course don't help this but if it just ran properly I'm sure it would be fine. Doesn't appear to matter what system you run on either. I have to say though this has been improved on each update so far so hoping for an SI update sooner rather than later where this gets better.

It's the only problem I have though, rest of the game runs great and loving most of the new features.

I wrote about offsides and now the next problem - crossing. This is my post from Bugs Section:

I'd like to share my view of crossing in latest ME. I'm playing with HSV and getting more and more frustrated about the crossing accuracy and the amount of crosses straight into the keeper's hands or even behind the goal line (the ball doesn't even reach the near post - it's just kicked behind the goal line or into the outside net). I've checked crossing accuracy of Bundesliga teams in my first season and I'm confused. The best team has got 13% accuracy, the worst 9% (after almost whole first season - 32 matches played). 

These are the stats from top leagues: http://spielverlagerung.com/2015/06/22/an-ineffective-tool/ It's from season 2015/16 I guess, but I don't think that it changed so much during last two years. So in my game the crossing accuracy in Bundesliga is about 2x lower than IRL. 

Another interesting thing - other top leagues in my game are OK - in England the best team has got 27%, in Spain and France 30%, in Italy 28%. What is wrong with Bundesliga? 

Anybody experienced something like that? How does it look like in your games? Maybe such problems occur also in other leagues than German? :)

3 hours ago, stevemc said:

Lukaku missed a pen in the 70th minute.

As you can see, the message is still on the screen at the end of the game (in the green block) - overlapping the setting icon:

mheyxj.png

Buggy?

I think this is the last piece of input from the AM and will remain there till the next input from him?

Guest El Payaso

I think that I wait for some kind of update before playing again.

Decided to play one game just for fun and had my striker put on a man marking duty to an opposition midfielder. This solely made the game look lot more natural as the striker was much more connected to the other players in my team and he seemed to trigger my MC(A) move forward with much more will as he was closer to the striker when he was receiving the ball. What this didn't trigger though was the opposition centre backs moving higher up the pitch which probably should happen as they have no reason to stay 20 meters away from their midfielders when there are no opposition players inside that zone. I think that lack of active shifting forward plays a role in terms of lack of shots/chances that the game in my experience is having. I for example play with high possession style and the movement from my team is awful at times. Like for example my DLP(S) often plays well together with my CM(A) but when the CM(A) receives the ball the DLP just folds from the situation instead of giving the CM a passing opportunity. I think that the fact that strikers stay too high up the pitch plays a big role too as he receives the ball often completely isolated from rest of the team and that doesn't trigger any movement from the players in midfield.

Would say that off-sides are taking care of defending at the moment. Will hope that SI are able to create better defensive shape in the midfield and balance this awfully unbalanced amount of offsides as it makes comprehensive highlights really painful to watch.

What I most definitely like is that first time in nine year I actually have to think about set pieces as the default settings seem to be awful in terms of both attack and defense. In my testing save I conceded basically every game from corners with default and scored zero. Seem to have found good defensive shape in those now as I took my striker down to defend and left one smaller player higher up the pitch. 

Still wayyyy too many deflected crosses going out for corners. I never see wingers running down the line then cutting back inside.

The other is miss-hit crosses almost doing the keeper over. I see this basically in every match. You'd never see it that much in real life.

Think this might be a steam issue but Im quite new to the whole thing and purchased the game last night and when entering the activation code it said there was a 'Purchase Error. An unexpected error has occurred. Your subscription to the following item has not been completed"

Then I tried entering an incorrect code and it told me it was an incorrect code so not sure what is going on.  Steam say on their website to return to my retailer but wondering if anyone else has had this issue before, before I take it back to the store?

The UI responsiveness is not very good, i have a high amount of Clicks not recognized and there is an Input lag, Players i put i.e. into the WB Right Side Position suddenly turn out to be on the Left Side Substitutin a Players sudddenly has a wrong replacement Player for that Input lag.

Dont know if that Input Lag is a Steam Thing or a UI Thing...

3 hours ago, SkiIIs said:

Think this might be a steam issue but Im quite new to the whole thing and purchased the game last night and when entering the activation code it said there was a 'Purchase Error. An unexpected error has occurred. Your subscription to the following item has not been completed"

Then I tried entering an incorrect code and it told me it was an incorrect code so not sure what is going on.  Steam say on their website to return to my retailer but wondering if anyone else has had this issue before, before I take it back to the store?

If you have closed down steam and then reopened and tried again, I would go back to the retailer and ask for their help.