Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are, in my opinion, the first person to actually identify the crux of what the issue is!

The main elements of what were needed (shape and positioning) are generally now correct, it is the refinement of some of the positioning and the final engagement that needs the work.

I’ll second that, although I think the points have been made before but just not as well, arguably there are too many sliding tackles which is not the modern way, staying on your feet and using your strength to stop the attacker is, unfortunately the ME is struggling to replicate this.

Certainly some strange matches for me since the last update, but I need to play more matches to try and make some sense of it.

http://i.imgur.com/GUVVTpR.jpg

I can't stress enough how effing annoying this is. Every bid is under your the fixed valuation. I negotiate with them to 20 (1m above his valuation, incredibly fair I'd say) and they tell me they don't feel a deal can be achieved. They've got the money and my negotiations weren't OTT. What the eff is the issue with this? I'll make a bid for their player and get quoted about 3 times the valuation.

The fact that I remember the name should really tell me that I'm spending way too much time on these feedback threads :D

Meh this is not really a 'feedback thread'.

It is more 'keep all the lunatics in one place so the entire forum does not look like a bombsite thread'. :D

'Feedback thread' is just shorter and easier.

I've got a strange problem just beat City 1-0 and the match wont end. It says 90:00r on the timer and I even managed to do my post game team talk but the game still thinks the match is going on ie I can hear the crowd constantly and when I go on pitch it says 'waiting for next highlight'. Pressing the space bar just pauses the match and going back the the home screen achieves nothing either. Really frustrating so just wondering if there's any way to end it or whether I have to venture into the bugs forum...

When i had that problem I would reset back to the home screen (the home icon) and then go around the manager inbox screen and press space to 'continue'. That would 'kick it on' so to speak. But when it didn't I had to reset.

Quick one guys.

ON FM13 when you clicked on a player, then clicked reports and then coach report - down at the bottom right of the screen showed you the stars of the player based on his positions, along with a list of other players names who played in this position. I found this very helpful as to setting who was in which squads and who I would sick up for sale and loan.

When doing the same screen 'clicks' it takes me to the same screen, but now it shows the players roles within those positions.

Am I missing a setting that I have clicked on, or is this just one of the changes the game has gone through?

Cheers.

You are, in my opinion, the first person to actually identify the crux of what the issue is!

The main elements of what were needed (shape and positioning) are generally now correct, it is the refinement of some of the positioning and the final engagement that needs the work.

Actually, I said the same thing many pages ago, about the dribbler facing the defender one on one 90 to 90 degrees with the ball between them and does not lose the ball unless he is slide-tackled. It was rebutted, but it's the central issue with defending (in the Demo, but apparently still there in 1.3). Maybe Aktsjon Mann put it in clearer terms.

Has collision been toned down in FM2014? I'm seeing players going through each other.

I've been seeing instances of this too. Sadly I didn't think to save the pkms because the games still lasted a long time after they happend. Player gets ball and runs through another player. Might be a bad visualization of a dribble but meh.

So I've now got the full game and have played a number of matches on it so time for some feedback on the ME.

1) Visually SI have done a good job. It's the first time I'm giving them any praise for the 3D view, but it's really starting to look the part now. Movements are more fluid, animations and transitions continue to improve and for a managing game this is a pretty good effort.

2) The balance between wide play and central is definitely off. Only need to look at assist locations under team report (opposition reports) to see evidence of that. The vast majority of goals scored and conceded for every team are assisted from wide areas. The AI teams manage almost no goals at all from the central areas.

3) The fluidity of play and player decisions is much improved from FM13. Much less walking around with the ball. However, some familiar niggles still remain. The players are still oddly hesitant to cross the ball from near the byline. Still too little composure leading to ridiculous clearances.

4) Ball physics are seem a bit better than 13 but still off. Still see throw ins travel half the length of the pitch with players unable to catch them. Still gathers momentum from bounces. Still the ridiculous sideways curl effect.

5) About the 'super keeper' thing, the biggest issue is that there are once again too many good shot opportunities opening up from close range. The ratio of saved shots isn't that much of a problem but the way the saves are made is wrong. Keepers should close out on strikers and save these shots by making themselves big, instead they stay home and make wondrous leaps to pluck close shots out of the air. In the big picture this isn't much of a problem but it is frustrating to watch.

6) The most important part. Defending is actually much improved from 13. Team shape works looks much better, players position themselves much more intelligently, anticipate passes better and make the right movements to intercept. Where it all falls apart a bit at the moment is one on one player engagement. I said earlier that I fully support the shift towards more tactical defending less dependent on tackling and I still do. But it's never going to work well unless a way to win the ball from an opponent without tackling is introduced. When a defender has an attacker running at him the only way for him to win the ball right now is to tackle. They can't use their physique to muscle the opponent off the ball, they can't do much to guide them into a less dangerous space because they have no physical presence and they can't even block crosses or shots unless it's straight at them. The poor defenders are being completely overwhelmed and they simply have no tools to deal with it.

Overall though, this is a much better effort than 13, imo. Seriously, each to their own but I simply cannot comprehend how people prefer 13 and it's aimless wandering about in treacle to this ME. Sure it was more stable and balanced stat wise but by Christ was it a frustrating one to watch!

Give this man a cookie :D

Only two of the seven goals were from corners, and neither of the two made use of the slight exploit in the engine. Are we not allowed to score from corners now?

1st goal - Is a classic 'fm' goal, the marker shadows and oversteps and the striker gets by him only for the defender to close down and 'do nothing' - Frustration mounts due to the defender not putting his body in the line.

2nd goal - defender didn't mark his man, it's a damn tight angle though, I'd have a go at him and the keeper.

3rd goal - is just atrocious defending. The full back barely bothers following the winger, doesn't even close him down or attempt to block properly, the cross is a good one but the defender should be marking that guy on the far post, absolutely no reason for him to be standing in the middle with the keeper oblivious to things.

corner goal - The marker for the scorer just runs off in a general direction that leaves him free and open. (I'd call this a bug/ME error)

corner 2 - Is just ridiculous, no effort is being made to 'push up' or 'clear the lines' they just let it bounce and ball watch the striker for two shots resulting in a goal.

Next goal - I've no idea what's happening here, or why two defenders slip by and group up with the fullback. But it's awful defending all around, where on earth is everyone? should never have that much space from a throw-in.

Last goal - The one that looks like a authentic football goal, defender came out, striker split the defence, other striker collects, surges into the box with the covering defender in troubble and neatly slots it into the net.

Out of them all I stand by the last goal being the only one I'd accept as a manager as a good goal, the rest are just shocking, ridiculous or ugly to look at. Which ones were bugs? I'd only say the corner one. I'd like to think in general that most people would say that the last goal is an easy one to identify what's gone wrong and how it's gone wrong, the others are easy to identify too, but the trouble is most people will wonder if it's the ME being silly (as with the corner marker, and in some instances with the throw in) or is it the tactic is so awful they need to go back to the drawing board?

Until we reach a state where the 3D is an accurate representation (and a GOOD looking one) of the ME then you're going to have people wondering if the defence is balls or the ME is just rubbish. If I was the manager on the end of that 1-6 defeat and I was say, a top team I would absolutely be livid and baffled as to why they're so atrocious.

NB; I don't have much of an issue with the ME this version so I'm not dissing it. >_>

http://i.imgur.com/GUVVTpR.jpg

I can't stress enough how effing annoying this is. Every bid is under your the fixed valuation. I negotiate with them to 20 (1m above his valuation, incredibly fair I'd say) and they tell me they don't feel a deal can be achieved. They've got the money and my negotiations weren't OTT. What the eff is the issue with this? I'll make a bid for their player and get quoted about 3 times the valuation.

Alex Crawford asked you post specific examples to the thread he linked so he can investigate

Alex Crawford asked you post specific examples to the thread he linked so he can investigate

I never saw anything sorry. Who's that and how do I go about doing it?

I offered Dzeko out for 27m (his valuation) and there was no interest. Offered him out for 20, 15 and 10 before finally offering him out for 20k. There was still no offers, would he be interested in that too?

1st goal - Is a classic 'fm' goal, the marker shadows and oversteps and the striker gets by him only for the defender to close down and 'do nothing' - Frustration mounts due to the defender not putting his body in the line.

2nd goal - defender didn't mark his man, it's a damn tight angle though, I'd have a go at him and the keeper.

3rd goal - is just atrocious defending. The full back barely bothers following the winger, doesn't even close him down or attempt to block properly, the cross is a good one but the defender should be marking that guy on the far post, absolutely no reason for him to be standing in the middle with the keeper oblivious to things.

corner goal - The marker for the scorer just runs off in a general direction that leaves him free and open. (I'd call this a bug/ME error)

corner 2 - Is just ridiculous, no effort is being made to 'push up' or 'clear the lines' they just let it bounce and ball watch the striker for two shots resulting in a goal.

Next goal - I've no idea what's happening here, or why two defenders slip by and group up with the fullback. But it's awful defending all around, where on earth is everyone? should never have that much space from a throw-in.

Last goal - The one that looks like a authentic football goal, defender came out, striker split the defence, other striker collects, surges into the box with the covering defender in troubble and neatly slots it into the net.

Out of them all I stand by the last goal being the only one I'd accept as a manager as a good goal, the rest are just shocking, ridiculous or ugly to look at. Which ones were bugs? I'd only say the corner one. I'd like to think in general that most people would say that the last goal is an easy one to identify what's gone wrong and how it's gone wrong, the others are easy to identify too, but the trouble is most people will wonder if it's the ME being silly (as with the corner marker, and in some instances with the throw in) or is it the tactic is so awful they need to go back to the drawing board?

Until we reach a state where the 3D is an accurate representation (and a GOOD looking one) of the ME then you're going to have people wondering if the defence is balls or the ME is just rubbish. If I was the manager on the end of that 1-6 defeat and I was say, a top team I would absolutely be livid and baffled as to why they're so atrocious.

NB; I don't have much of an issue with the ME this version so I'm not dissing it. >_>

Had that happen a few times on previous FM's drives me mad. Not noticed it yet on this one but I have no problem believing it's still there, needs fixing.

I never saw anything sorry. Who's that and how do I go about doing it?

I offered Dzeko out for 27m (his valuation) and there was no interest. Offered him out for 20, 15 and 10 before finally offering him out for 20k. There was still no offers, would he be interested in that too?

Annoyingly I cant find the link any more, but create a thread here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/367-Transfers-Contracts-and-Responsibilities put in all that info you posted before, they were great examples, if you can upload the save following the info at the top of the bugs section too that would be ace, and yes, if you think the Dzeko offers were unrealistically ignored include it (I feel you should have had interest too, tbh)

Just playing the demo of the game right now so hope this is the correct thread to post feedback for it.

I've not played a massive amount of the game yet, but from what I have seen of it, it looks good. I like the way it all looks and the navigation seems much easier now from the main screens. The revised news items that come in now are much better e.g. the information of transfers being in the news item for your In Box and how it can all be done from there. The Private Chats seem to be much better as well and much more in-depth. I like the new Training setup now (which I know was introduced into FM13) and the sliders being taken away I think seems like a good thing. I do like the new Close selection for the cam when watching the 3D Match. Overall, from what I've played (and like I say, it's not been that long yet) it looks much better.

My only real negativity from what I have played of it is the ME. I've not noticed a lot of stuff being wrong as I've only played and seen one match so far, but the one thing that is very noticeable is that unfortunately the players are STILL sliding and "ice skating" on the pitch, just like how they did in FM13. The ball still takes off like a greyhound out the traps when it's passed to another player as well, just like in FM13. The initial flight of the ball (if it's a long high pass) seems OK, but as soon as the ball lands it just suddenly takes off at a rate of knots away from the intended target player, and just keeps rolling on & on & on. A ball should not roll along the ground for the full half of a pitch from a wee dinked pass forwards. I'm trying to get past that as I do want to buy this game after the final update next Feb/Mar, but it is really annoying to watch the players skating about and the ball to react totally unnaturally.

Overall I'm pleased with how it all looks and handles, but I'm really hoping that the ball-shaped rocket can be toned down and the ice skaters can be taken away and replaced with running footballers by the time I buy the game.

I'm completely bemused how they managed to make defenders worse! I wouldn't have thought it possible. Someone needs to start watching some real games, defenders mark, close down, block, get a foot in anywhere they can to break down an attack, just isn't happening in the game. The only way defenders ever stop attacks is by intercepting or dumb luck.

So far finding that it doesn't mater how many you score because the opposition will peg you back how ever your playing. Setting team instructions for a fast, simple possession doesn't get results. Full backs instructed to hold position and defend constantly push to far up. For a person hows played this game for 20 years I actually got sacked as I couldn't get a result. The game is horribly unplayable as you just can't keep goals out.

Fully agreed!

This ME version seems to me very rough.

After 2 years of work it should be absolutely better than this .....

also noticing updating of players attributes is slack last couple of years. no widespread update for a few years. dongou is still down as 5.9' yet is 6.0'...no change there for years. marco reus has 11 for passing and 13 technique 14 long shots and has been similar for a couple of years now ...he is one of the best players of the last two years and a superstar of the near future...his attributes haven't been updated. draxler attributes have had no real improvements either. sheyi ojo of Liverpool is down as a right footed striker...in what world is that true...ah oh yeah...in FM...seriously update attributes as players develop

I think the time has come for SI to bite the bullet and make this a bi-anual release, it takes 6 months after release to get it to a playable level, you then get involved in a great save for about 3 months then the advert appears "coming soon FM2015". I didnt pre-order because if I want to spend my hard earned cash on a game I want a usable product. I`m not a tester. I know that these type of games are always a work in progress and I`m grateful when SI put out an update but the time has come to admit that a quality product cannot be delivered every year. Finally I have purchased this game faithfully since champ manager Italia, I love playing it and hate seeing the icon sitting on my desktop knowing I cant use it the way it was intended.

Do most people on here watch the whole match, or highlights?

I've been reading through this thread, agreeing with a LOT of the comments, ie the game is too hard, can't get anything right etc etc. I got sacked from Liverpool after losing my opening 10 matches, using the same basic formation we're using in real life. Nothing was working, and I was playing the games watching key highlights only, not really changing anything in game apart from overload in the final 5 mins of the games (lost every game except 1 2-1, with most of the second goals for the other team coming in the 75th-80th minute).

After my dumping, I went back and started again, however this time I committed to watching the games in full (well slightly sped up of course). It allowed me to see where my tactics were going wrong, and react too it. I've kept the same shape, (3-5-2 using wing backs & 1 CAM), the same basic philosophies of trying to keep possession and knock it around looking for the opening. However this time I'm 3 wins from 3 having knocked off Norwich, Arsenal away and Man City at home. All I'm doing is using some simple shouts in the game, either pushing up or falling back, sometimes pushing it wide. Sturridge has scored twice (playing as an advance foward), Victor Mostes twice (both times as a sub striker playing in a false 9, and a couple of goals from Keisuke Honda and just the one from Skrtel (even though I've tried to exploit the corner "bug" I hear about by having the corners driven into the near post).

One criticisim is that even though I specifically say to mark an opposing player, or close him down, it doesn't seem to happen. Against Norwich I said mark Olsson tightly, close him down and show him onto his weaker foot, as he was having a field day ... and mark Snodgrass tightly. Imagine my frustration 5 minutes after doing this to see Olsson standing by himself run onto a ball, dribble down the left wing while Glen Johnson escorted him, put in a cross to Snodgrass standing by himself in the box to hammer home!

But I think it is possible to win, it's just a ******** harder in this ME. In the beta i whooped Feyenoord 6-1 at home using my local Swedish team BK Häcken in a Europa league qualifier, then finished top of a group including Valencia! Never continued with the save though because after the latest ME patch came out I couldn't win and lost 6 allsvenskan games on the trot ...

One criticism I have for the latest build, and for the prior builds of FM14, is there are a lack of progress dialogs when the game is going to do something that could potentially take a long time. Moving graphics files and downloading items from workshop would be the most notable. Please add them into a future build so we know if the game has really crashed or if it's actually doing something.

A few notes on the ME after half a season in Ligue 2.

- A few too many shots as others have noted. A lot of times it's close to 20 per team.

- Many wide open misses close to goal.

- Players back off too much even when playing with pressing. Especially against wingers.

- Post and bar are hit way too much. Happens strangely on corners a lot that they are hit directly on to the bar.

- Something is still not right with the play of fullbacks even if the rating have become a bit better. My fullbacks are among the best players in the league, but constantly get skinned.

- Too many long shots (seens to be tied to players backing off all the time)

Otherwise I'm quite happy with a lot of things. Feels like there is a balance in the game that can be good with some tweaks.

A few notes on the ME after half a season in Ligue 2.

- A few too many shots as others have noted. A lot of times it's close to 20 per team.

- Many wide open misses close to goal.

- Players back off too much even when playing with pressing. Especially against wingers.

- Post and bar are hit way too much. Happens strangely on corners a lot that they are hit directly on to the bar.

- Something is still not right with the play of fullbacks even if the rating have become a bit better. My fullbacks are among the best players in the league, but constantly get skinned.

- Too many long shots (seens to be tied to players backing off all the time)

Otherwise I'm quite happy with a lot of things. Feels like there is a balance in the game that can be good with some tweaks.

are you happy with defenders ?

also noticing updating of players attributes is slack last couple of years. no widespread update for a few years. dongou is still down as 5.9' yet is 6.0'...no change there for years. marco reus has 11 for passing and 13 technique 14 long shots and has been similar for a couple of years now ...he is one of the best players of the last two years and a superstar of the near future...his attributes haven't been updated. draxler attributes have had no real improvements either. sheyi ojo of Liverpool is down as a right footed striker...in what world is that true...ah oh yeah...in FM...seriously update attributes as players develop

Not down to SI - the researchers, who work voluntarily, are responsible. You don't agree, post it as a data issue in the relevant board with relevant evidence, and it'll be fixed if necessary.

I got some really weird news...

Basically it says how Bosnia qualified for their 1st wc..then it says...

"The team will be delighted to have qualified following a difficult qualifying group, containing the likes of Spain, Portugal, and Holland..as they finished 3rd in 2nd placed teams.

Huh?

i disagree with you kriss defense bad including "Central defenders"

While we're on defending, my post from the tactics thread (I heartily expect Herringbone to post too ;) )

This is a list of my goals conceded in order.

Before the final beta update: (or before FB's got borked)

1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 2, 0, 1, 1, 3, 0, 0, 0, 3, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 2, 0, 2, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1

Which, is about right and is par the course for me usually.

After update:

2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2.

I stopped there and then, home or away the consistency of the goals is higher on both sides.

STAT ATTACK:

PRE PATCH: 0.7 conceded (i.e. 25 goals in 34 games)

My scoring record is mostly 1-3 etc before the patch but is now mostly 2-3 with 3 being the common score. I'm in the lowest English league in any case, but generally my method of playing is to have a defence that doesn't concede often and/or if we do that concedes 1 maximum. I find difficulty in scoring, but I accept that as part of my more defensive mind-set; note, I don't necessarily play defensive football, I just tend to have a good defence.

I don't know what changes occurred, but during the beta I thought for most the part defending wasn't actually that bad, for me or the opposition. Some dodgy moments yes, but generally was good. Now, I'm not so sure.

Btw, I agree with Kriss it's the wide areas that's the problem I think.

I can understand why some people are unhappy and for a while I was, however I have (after hours and hours of reading about tactics, which to be fair I think is a problem in its self sometimes) I have begun to really, really enjoy FM14.

pros;

-I find the UI very nice, streamlined and much better to navigate.

-New features to press confrences I like, I am sure I will be bored of them soon mind.

-Love the new tactical set up, feel like I am making more informed decisions and I feel its a little easier to stamp your philosophy on a side.

-Like the ease in which I can assign tutors and the newer aspects in the development screen in general.

cons;

-The ME is a little funny at times, but to be honest its things that aren't exclusive to FM14, ie players making silly decisions running away from wide players to take up central positions to defend a cross, when the could follow the wide player and prevent the cross in the first place.

-3D animations, I see lots of cases of playes walking through other players, it just disengages me from the realism. The ice skating effect also does this.

-Transfers not going to waste much time by beating a dead horse with a stick here, but the very low offers seem odd.

My biggest bug bear however is shooting. NOT however that there are too many shots, but the decision being made to take the shot in the first place. Again this is something I have seen in a few of FM's iterations. I consistently see advancing fullbacks/ wide players, even forwards who are pretty much on the by line, shoot, when surely it would be more logical to try and pass. I recently had a game where my WB bombed on got in behind my opponents and and was at an extremely tight angle for taking on a shot, however he had a situation of 3 against 2 in my favour in the middle of the box and all he had to do was roll the ball back and we would have scored, he of course shot and it went for a throwin to the opposition. Its more often then not the case, for me at least, to see my forward shot from the tightest of angles with next to no gap to squeeze the ball in shoot instead of rolling it back for an oncoming runner or trying to pick out his strike partner, even flashing it across the the box would seem to be a better option. The other part about shooting is that I feel my players can be guilty of shooting to early, for instance if my player gets round a defender he will often, not always but often, shoot immediatley when a run of 5 yards or less forward would yield a much better chance. Just maybe something to look at for future patches/ games.

On the whole however I am beginning to get into my save, which is certainly one of my favourite things, so thanks SI and keep on pushing yourselves to do better.

I could be exaggerating this, but has anybody played with 3 at the back? Sometimes the CBs seem horribly far apart from each other.

I do... they are. Wish there was a way to set their width.

Havent scrolled through the thread so dunno if its been mentioned but do the long shots from in play seem really really poor? Mine are always very slow, very wide or both. Haven't seen many good long shots at all throughout my first season.

I played half a season when the full backs ratings were way too high and now I've played the next half of the season where the full back ratings are way too low. At least its evened out the average rating I guess! Just put it in the middle setting SI! (I know its not that easy)

In all seriousness though it needs sorting as does so many sitters being missed. Otherwise I'm delighted with the game. Be surprised if we don't get an update this week.

I'm curious about who compiled the stats for Aaron Ramsey. Do they even know who Aaron Ramsey is? I know it's a data issue and I need to blah blah blah if I want it changed, but seriously, have they been living under a rock?

The player ratings are based on last years performances.

The manager of the B-Team keep fining his players for playing badly - and then they complain that I've done it! Should be fixed so you could either tell the B-Team manager to stop fining them so often or so that the player comes to talk me about the fact that the B-team manager fines him, not that I've fined him when I haven't!

The player ratings are based on last years performances.

But surely such an obvious and huge improvement (although he was already awesome from February onwards) should be represented. As it stands I can't really find any reason to play him ahead of Wilshere which just isn't right. At the very least his physical stats need buffed.

Archived