Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Why does the thread I start asking about FM13 (a game I never played) keep getting closed?

I mean you have to admit there is some bugs in FM14 that make the game difficult to play.

Instead of closing the thread why don't you just delete the offending posts?

I never said anything "against the rules". I was asking a very legitimate question.

I can't see any rule I'm breaking. And it is definitely discussing the game.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fix the shot conversion rate.

Might as well have a striker with terrible stats because one with high finishing, composure and the rest can't do anything.

Also has anyone noticed how the chances your players miss are absolutely laughable? 5 yards out hit it over the bar, miss from 2 yards from a corner, 1v1s etc.

1. In a one on one situation, the striker's finishing/composure/etc is not the only thing determining whether he scores. If the goalkeeper closes down the angle well and the striker is either

a) too central (meaning he can only really shoot to one side of the goal, based on his strongest foot)

b) too wide (meaning the angle is easily narrowed by the goalkeeper)

then you would, in fact, not expect him to score. If this is happening to you often, then your tactics are at fault. Your striker may well be receiving the ball in a position to shoot, but that is not the same as receiving the ball in a good position to score. You need to analyse how the ball is being moved in the final third, and how you can better pull defenders out of position so the striker can get into good positions to score as opposed to just having space to get off a hopeful shot that the goalkeeper is nearly always going to save.

2. Most of those "short range" efforts you're talking about are headers. That's no surprise, and it has absolutely nothing to do with your striker. Your winger is not good at crossing the ball; he is playing the ball in too high, which means that your forward is always under the ball when he heads it, and can't keep it down. This is totally realistic and a great many heading chances in real life are spurned because the striker can't get over the ball to keep it under the bar - it's very easy to miss from five yards when the cross is poor, and at least in my games, this is the most common (and glaringly obvious) cause for the misses.

I've not seen a single shot over the bar from close range other than volleys and headers. For volleys, the probable cause is poor technique, incidentally. Lots of forwards are great finishers. Few have the technique to use that ability in every situation.

winning 21 out of 23 tackles is absolutely ridiculous.

The number of tackles is excessive, but the proportion won is not.

As has been alluded to on multiple occasions, defensive issues are being reviewed.

Lots of the "feedback" in here is about two or three general themes, all of which are in the process of being resolved, along with other issues which people haven't even noticed yet.

Watching matches on Full, shot selection is pretty damn weird. Players seem to shoot as soon as it opens up in front of them, instead of taking it on a few more yards and picking their spot. And this is with possession-based football and 'work ball into box' turned on. No PPMs that would affect the players in question either.

Also watching on Full, the game's distinction of what a Clear Cut Chance is is pretty inscrutable. I don't know whether it's more of an animation/ME depiction issue than anything else, but a lot of what I would consider open shots at goal in good positions are labelled Half-Chances.

OK well discounting other people and only going by my experience my tactics seem to be working, it just every keeper I play against seems overpowered.

There appears to be a fault with how goalkeeper positioning in the back-end match engine is being represented by the front-end 3D engine. Sometimes the goalkeeper thus appears to "teleport" across goal to make unbelievable saves. But since scorelines are not artificially low in comparison with reality, it's pretty obvious that it isn't a case of the goalies being overpowered so much as a probable issue with what I just said - translation from back-end mathematics to front-end graphics.

I suspect this is the same issue that causes defenders to get up quickly from making tackles, but then appear to stand around doing nothing - in fact, as far as the match engine is concerned, they're still on the deck and still trying to get up.

This also probably applies to defenders "failing" to make tackles. If you pay close attention to the text commentary, you'll sometimes notice that it says something like "$attacker surges past $defender" - this indicates that there has, in fact, been an attempt to take the ball. It's just not visually apparent.

After doing my first couple of matches with the new engine yesterday my complaints/findings are pretty much in line with what everyone's saying here:

- there's far too many attempted shots at goal in every match. I am playing somewhat open but still it looks a little ridiculous

- to compensate for the above, the number of goals per match seem about correct... which to me indicates there's a problem also with too many shots being low quality, otherwise we'd be seeing large scorelines as well. I can't tell whether this is because the finishing is poor or the players are too keen to shoot, it's probably a combination of both, vs Chelsea I played deep and killed most of the routes to my area, the end result was that Chelsea's first 8 shots were all from distance all in the 1st half...

- player rating seem generally all low when winning matches, the engine seems to give 8.x's to players that score goals but everyone else seems stuck at 7.2 at best. UNLESS you're a full-back and this is where it gets weird. My right-back (Sagna) is considerably more defensive than my left-back (Coentrão) and he's been getting the odd 8.x whilst the left-back gets random 5.x's every other match... Seems like the player ratings for that position are now all about being able to win tackles and headers and to hell with offensive work! However this is just a feeling and I've not analysed properly their individual stats.

After doing my first couple of matches with the new engine yesterday my complaints/findings are pretty much in line with what everyone's saying here:

- there's far too many attempted shots at goal in every match. I am playing somewhat open but still it looks a little ridiculous

- to compensate for the above, the number of goals per match seem about correct... which to me indicates there's a problem also with too many shots being low quality, otherwise we'd be seeing large scorelines as well. I can't tell whether this is because the finishing is poor or the players are too keen to shoot, it's probably a combination of both, vs Chelsea I played deep and killed most of the routes to my area, the end result was that Chelsea's first 8 shots were all from distance all in the 1st half...

- player rating seem generally all low when winning matches, the engine seems to give 8.x's to players that score goals but everyone else seems stuck at 7.2 at best. UNLESS you're a full-back and this is where it gets weird. My right-back (Sagna) is considerably more defensive than my left-back (Coentrão) and he's been getting the odd 8.x whilst the left-back gets random 5.x's every other match... Seems like the player ratings for that position are now all about being able to win tackles and headers and to hell with offensive work! However this is just a feeling and I've not analysed properly their individual stats.

By latest ME, do you mean 1427? Because there were only two changes for that one

Match v1427

- Improved player rating system

- Improved use of subs in FMC match plans

But still keep sending PKMS of anything else you suspect is off

First post on this forum. Never felt the need to post really as ive always loved the game. So let's start:

Love the new match engine,it has the potential be the best one yet,good animations and seems more fluid.But by far the most faulty one at release too. Really regret

spending so much more money than i normally would have to get it as soon as possible having to use my international debit card. The shot counts are just unbelievable.

the players mental attributes like composure,creativity and technical stats like finishing etc just go to waste as no matter if it's Ozil or Eisfield in my arsenal team,they just shoot at every given opportunity despite teammates being available for a simple finish and no it's not my tactics i have been playing since FM 2005 fairly successfully.

Instructions like shorter passing,shoot less,work ball into bo are all selected. This is not it,even when the players are somehow,very rarely found with a good pass in

space,they just do anything but placing the shot,no matter the player's Preferred move of places shots,or Composure attributes. They just scrap at it. The goalkeepers are spiderman like with their reflexes and my god they handle every shot no matter the power of the shot or the distance. Mertesacker just missed a open goal header from 2 yards and not only missed it but headed it backwards to Lloris who was on the floor 4 yards from the goal. Defenders also back off too often despite the instructions being to hassle opponents giving players alot of space to drive forward. and the shooting problems mostly seem to occur only to the team youre managing the other team will pick out the perfect pass in the one chance they have and round the keeper to score. PLEASE fix this. And i'll be a happy customer as always

It's an old article but I think the developers should take a look at this to see if they can recreate more realism. Half the problem is the way the visual aspects of the ME are showing chances. In real life almost all attacks break down at some point (otherwise there would be a goal at the end of every one!), but most break down fairly harmlessly or frustratingly. In the ME it seems that way too many attacks break down with near misses. I have also noticed there aren't enough blocked shots. Shots either seem to be cleared off the line, saved by the keeper, hit the post or miss the target. Hardly any are blocked at the edge of the area or just inside the area. In real life an awful lot of shots are blocked.

http://www.prozonesports.com/news-article-analysis-effective-attacking-play.html

I wonder if this is working as intended or if it is a bug?

Twice my defender has slid in to a challenge and won the ball, he is facing his own goal when this happens, the ball then goes towards his own goal and an opposing player picks up the ball but is then given offside.

Now I can not make up my mind if SI have done this intentionally to have some controversy in the game or if the game is not recognising that it was my player that played the ball forward.

By latest ME, do you mean 1427? Because there were only two changes for that one

Match v1427

- Improved player rating system

- Improved use of subs in FMC match plans

But still keep sending PKMS of anything else you suspect is off

Whatever engine version 14.1.3 is. I kinda got lost with all versions because I didn't play FM for about a week and there was at least 1 patch to the beta and 1 to the fullgame since the last time.

Finally got around to renewing some players contracts, 32 year old Anthony Gardner (will be 33 within 2 months) wants double his basic wage, which would put him easily my highest earner and on 100% more than any other player in the squad except one*. He also wants all his other bonuses improved by at least 50%.

* That one player is Chris Kirkland, my current highest earner, on £12K p/w. A very good wage for a Championship player, and right at the top end of my budget. He wants £23K p/w, a figure that even as a key player I can't afford and would put him a good £18K higher than the 2nd highest earner.

I appreciate in negotiations you're supposed to start high and wait for the counter offer, but are these players having a laugh?! Haven't checked the rest of my squad yet, but I'd guess from the pattern that's emerging and the feedback from other users in this thread that every other player is going to ask for double their current wage too. Something not right with that surely?

I wonder if this is working as intended or if it is a bug?

Twice my defender has slid in to a challenge and won the ball, he is facing his own goal when this happens, the ball then goes towards his own goal and an opposing player picks up the ball but is then given offside.

Now I can not make up my mind if SI have done this intentionally to have some controversy in the game or if the game is not recognising that it was my player that played the ball forward.

PKM that for sure, just sounds wrong imo.

I have also had this Weezer, it was brought up in the bugs forum and the answer was that because I was doing well in the league then the players were right to ask for such wage rises, although there was 1 guy that the SI guys were going to look at as he was asking too much.

I had that with my first save and now with my second, I am managing Leipzig and we are second in the league, I have decided just to let a few players go, my keeper who is I think 32 and on 3,500k a week now wants 11k a week and bonuses through the roof, he would not even let me remove the 'match highest earner' clause, so he is a goner.

It is quite hard if you are being successful to negotiate contracts anywhere near what they are earning, even more so if you are lower league.

Finally got around to renewing some players contracts, 32 year old Anthony Gardner (will be 33 within 2 months) wants double his basic wage, which would put him easily my highest earner and on 100% more than any other player in the squad except one*. He also wants all his other bonuses improved by at least 50%.

* That one player is Chris Kirkland, my current highest earner, on £12K p/w. A very good wage for a Championship player, and right at the top end of my budget. He wants £23K p/w, a figure that even as a key player I can't afford and would put him a good £18K higher than the 2nd highest earner.

I appreciate in negotiations you're supposed to start high and wait for the counter offer, but are these players having a laugh?! Haven't checked the rest of my squad yet, but I'd guess from the pattern that's emerging and the feedback from other users in this thread that every other player is going to ask for double their current wage too. Something not right with that surely?

The worst part is, that when you release him because you can't afford the wages, he'll then sign for someone else for about half of what he's asking from you. It is the single biggest frustrating aspect of this game for me, and it's been happening for years. I have no idea why this hasn't been sorted before now.

I'm conceding goal from corners or free-kicks almost every game.

Players are missing almost 90 percent of one-on-ones maybe more.

Playing with short passes is just impossible. Too many passing mistakes made by talented players. Passes going short and not reaching to teammate.

Wingers and full backs are stopping, making stupid moves and losing the ball when they get into penalty area.

The game is shaping up well, once some of the remaining big issues have been sorted this will probably be my favourite release yet.

Agree with what's been said about high number of shots on target and low score lines. Playing Liverpool and had Leyton Orient at Anfield and it was like they'd borrowed a world class keeper, had some cracking shots and he managed to keep out most of them. Also regularly hit the woodwork around 3 times each match. Also the opposition have an annoying tendency to score against me with their first shot on target, this does take away enjoyment of the game considerably.

Camera zoom on the ME has not worked since the beta was released, would love to see this fixed.

One thing I did not see in the beta but has reared it's ugly head since starting a new game with the final release is a raft of injuries to players in similar positions. This was the most annoying thing that used to happen to me in FM2013, where you'd end up with only one player who could cover a position as the rest who can cover get injured in a very short space of time. This is currently happening on my new game. I've had to loan in a player for AML (I had just bought one but he got injured 2 games in), as otherwise I'd have to start a low rated U21 or U18 player. Very frustrating as I did not see this on the beta so thought it would not be an issue with this release.

On the positive side love ZiZo as it makes the game very playable on a 2880x1800 screen, no longer have to settle for a readable but fuzzy UI, it looks so good now. The use of the native Mac full screen is great as a well, love the convenience of being able to easily swipe in and out of the game to check the web, mail etc. The news and media feel a lot better and varied and like the way that talking to the press does not take you out of your inbox now.

The interaction with players out on loan is a nice addition, needs to be implemented better so you get some different responses from managers when moaning to them about not honouring the agreement to use them in the first team. Would be nice if this could be tied into the reasons for rejecting a loan offer as well, as would give the game some real depth on this point.

A very good, well reasoned post.

I've been saying this for years. So many times I have a player up for loan but clubs want to play them in the wrong position or can't guarantee first team football. Should be able to tell them this and give them the chance to come back with a new offer should they wish.

The multiple injuries to one position thing happened to me on FM13 as well, on about three occasions. Never heard back from SI when I mentioned it. It can be horrific.

And the 'score with their first shot' thing happens way too often.

Can you not just set their status as 'unavailable for loan'? Apologies if you've already done this and it's still happening.

I have always assumed that is just a status towards other clubs? The players are coming to me wanting to be loaned out. I will give it a try though, thanks!

I'm conceding goal from corners or free-kicks almost every game.

Players are missing almost 90 percent of one-on-ones maybe more.

Playing with short passes is just impossible. Too many passing mistakes made by talented players. Passes going short and not reaching to teammate.

Wingers and full backs are stopping, making stupid moves and losing the ball when they get into penalty area.

All of that sounds tactical, I'm afraid.

Playing with short passes isn't impossible, but it's difficult to perfect (as it should be). I remember in my Gladbach save, a game v Bayern, and although they destroyed us, their pass-and-move football was a joy to watch. Now, if the AI can do that, so can you. It's just a case of how you do it. Not worked it out myself yet.

I dont the demands players make in contract talks. See here:

Current Wages, what you would expect.

aEGQnuf.png

I get that he wants a raise, and i dont think that the 97.000k is that crazy, but the bonuses, thats just crazy, 40k ind apearance and 29 ind sub fee.

V4PYJt1.png

Please fix the low ratings on defence players bug. Game now unplayable.

LOL - How do deflated ratings make the game un playable That's a great opening post. I wonder if you have even seen the actual issue or understand what it is.

I have also had this Weezer, it was brought up in the bugs forum and the answer was that because I was doing well in the league then the players were right to ask for such wage rises, although there was 1 guy that the SI guys were going to look at as he was asking too much.

I had that with my first save and now with my second, I am managing Leipzig and we are second in the league, I have decided just to let a few players go, my keeper who is I think 32 and on 3,500k a week now wants 11k a week and bonuses through the roof, he would not even let me remove the 'match highest earner' clause, so he is a goner.

It is quite hard if you are being successful to negotiate contracts anywhere near what they are earning, even more so if you are lower league.

That would be a bit more understandable, but I'm only 3 game days into this save, haven't even played my first pre-season friendly yet!

I think the wage module in the game is way too far out of whack than the real life expectations. The game probably rightly thinks £23K p/w is a fair wage for a player with Chris Kirkland's ability within it's own coding and calculations. However we all know that in real life he was quite happy to negotiate and play for us for a wage only half that, and if we were to renew it this season irl any increase would be minimal. The game needs to take current wages into consideration above anything else, yet it seems the players are too aware of their current ability and make their demands based on that.

Player ratings are still punishingly low, if more consistently so now.

In general, 6.8 now seems to be the new 7.2. I am competing for the title in my league, yet have two players with an average rating above 7.0. The highest is 7.03. My more creative striker with 11 goals and 6 assists is on 6.83. The goal-scoring one, who scores every second game, is on 6.97.

In a league of 22 teams, 59 players have a rating over 7.0, and 13 over 7.2.

A few things I've noticed;

One defender always pushes on the striker leaving a gaping hole in the defense, even though I have my tactics to counteract this very possiblity. Most goals seem to come from this or short near post corners.

Players just waltzing through your box whilst your defenders just stand off and look in awe, even though they're set to close down and get stuck in.

When you're on the attack and there's minutes left, players will never go for the ball on the flanks if it's going for a throw in even though they could quite simply have gotten the ball and put it back in the danger zones , it's kind of silly if you ask me.

All of that sounds tactical, I'm afraid.

Playing with short passes isn't impossible, but it's difficult to perfect (as it should be). I remember in my Gladbach save, a game v Bayern, and although they destroyed us, their pass-and-move football was a joy to watch. Now, if the AI can do that, so can you. It's just a case of how you do it. Not worked it out myself yet.

Ok you maybe right about short passing game but missing at one-on-ones, stupid moves of wingers' and full backs' can not be a tactical mistake. I tried all commands but nothing changed.

Ok, this is ridiculous.

I've seen the discussions about transfer fees, fullback ratings, moveable widgets, non-highlighted player teams, etc etc. All of which can be discussed to death, with theories of whether they're bugs or not.

But now I've seen something so ridiculous, so utterly freakish, that I'm going to utter the immortal phrase: SORT IT OUT SI.

Yes, I refer to the fact that in my game England have just won the 2014 World Cup.

I mean, c'mon.

I am finding the full game ridiculously hard. Had a really successful season on the beta but since the update to a full game I am getting dominated by everyone. I dont think it is all down to my tactics as im using a 433 that I used on the beta and have used for the past 3 or 4 FMs. No matter what I tell my defence to do they just seem to drop deep into my box with the opposition pinging it around having 30 to 40 shots per game. Its really frustrating and I think Im going to just stop playing until there is an ME update.

I know that by posting this that im going to get all sorts of 'its your tactics' rubbish but this is my feedback, and as I say i didn't have any issues on the beta. Its got potential to be a great game, but I would rather play the final FM13 ME than this. I understand that you guys at SI work very hard and Im sorry to be a moaner but I just wanted to post my feedback. At least we know that unlike other games it will be sorted.

I am finding the full game ridiculously hard. Had a really successful season on the beta but since the update to a full game I am getting dominated by everyone. I dont think it is all down to my tactics as im using a 433 that I used on the beta and have used for the past 3 or 4 FMs. No matter what I tell my defence to do they just seem to drop deep into my box with the opposition pinging it around having 30 to 40 shots per game. Its really frustrating and I think Im going to just stop playing until there is an ME update.

I know that by posting this that im going to get all sorts of 'its your tactics' rubbish but this is my feedback, and as I say i didn't have any issues on the beta. Its got potential to be a great game, but I would rather play the final FM13 ME than this. I understand that you guys at SI work very hard and Im sorry to be a moaner but I just wanted to post my feedback. At least we know that unlike other games it will be sorted.

Yeah I've been playing FM13 and the difference in Polish is very noticeable.

They did make the game way too hard. Granted it was way too easy before that. So they really just need to find a middleground.

It's great that they actually fix things though. Unlike EA which still hasn't released a patch for the stupid headers........

Instant button still dont work!

I try 5 games and only on first game assistant make two subs.

I have to say I fear an issue remains, in the 8 matches played the number of subs made was as follows (in match order):

There were no injury forced issues although in one of the no subs made games a player did carry a knock.

Regretably this may need more SI tweaking but I will test it further.

Please note I am playing instant result, no match plans. So its all up to the Ass Man.

Looks like I am forced to abandon 451/433. The whole point of this formation is to attack like 433, defend like 451, not the other way. Wingers are staying very high and wide and it forces one of CMs to close down opponent wide, then comes the cross, it's cleared and no one is outside the penalty area because my central midfielder closed opponent's winger, the other two helped in the box. If I wanted to set up 3 players without defensive responsibilities, I'd go with flat 433 :rolleyes:

Flawless English 442 is fine tho.

Will just raise this issue as it hasn't been coded in the game (again...). Even though 3d collision coding is more challenging than 2d, it still should be do-able. It's silly and not realistic to see time after time players moving through each other or running through each other instead of colliding and falling...

Other than that I'm really enjoying the latest release. Much has been improved...so good job, just code the collision in and I'll be one happy camper.

Sorry to bother but i'm having a small issue that didnt happen on the BETA or since release of the full game, suddenly today the cursor in the game turns into a football and wont return to an arrow.

Any advice? Ive closed down and restarted.

First post on this forum. Never felt the need to post really as ive always loved the game. So let's start:

Love the new match engine,it has the potential be the best one yet,good animations and seems more fluid.But by far the most faulty one at release too. Really regret

spending so much more money than i normally would have to get it as soon as possible having to use my international debit card. The shot counts are just unbelievable.

the players mental attributes like composure,creativity and technical stats like finishing etc just go to waste as no matter if it's Ozil or Eisfield in my arsenal team,they just shoot at every given opportunity despite teammates being available for a simple finish and no it's not my tactics i have been playing since FM 2005 fairly successfully.

Instructions like shorter passing,shoot less,work ball into bo are all selected. This is not it,even when the players are somehow,very rarely found with a good pass in

space,they just do anything but placing the shot,no matter the player's Preferred move of places shots,or Composure attributes. They just scrap at it. The goalkeepers are spiderman like with their reflexes and my god they handle every shot no matter the power of the shot or the distance. Mertesacker just missed a open goal header from 2 yards and not only missed it but headed it backwards to Lloris who was on the floor 4 yards from the goal. Defenders also back off too often despite the instructions being to hassle opponents giving players alot of space to drive forward. and the shooting problems mostly seem to occur only to the team youre managing the other team will pick out the perfect pass in the one chance they have and round the keeper to score. PLEASE fix this. And i'll be a happy customer as always

And a good first post it is, It’s easy when somebody says I’m losing all my games it must be because the ME is broke to answer. you need to look at your tactics and I would say the same. However, I’m not losing matches, quite the opposite in fact, I got Luton promoted last year and it’s now the 1st of March and I’m 19 points clear at the top of division 2, I’ve only lost 1 league game so far this season.

IMO it’s the inability of defending side to press and possibly a shoot on sight mentality by the attacking side that leading to so many goal attempts, it appears at times that the human managed side needs far more attempts on goal to score than the computer managed sides, given that the AI should be the same for both sides, I’m not sure why it appears that way, maybe the computer manager is micro managing its attack options better than I am, although I’m winning the possession battle by a country mile in most games. I’m certain this will be a great ME in time but I can’t help but feel this should have been sorted before the game went on sale, I wouldn’t be very happy if I bought a new car and found the electronics where riddled with bugs and then told not to worry it will be fine after we have fiddled about with it for two months, if I were SI I’d go for match engine changes 1 year and interface the following, giving two years to develop each element of the game.

I wouldn’t be very happy if I bought a new car and found the electronics where riddled with bugs and then told not to worry it will be fine after we have fiddled about with it for two months, if I were SI I’d go for match engine changes 1 year and interface the following, giving two years to develop each element of the game.

:D I wonder if there are mods on car forums that get tired of the constant FM analogies.

Archived