Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

56 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

I want to minimise these unforced giveaways of the ball but there doesn't appear to be a way to do so other than just developing their attributes and hoping for the best.

Have a look at their coach reports as well, see if they have any pros/cons - especially areas such as consistency or pressure.

It sounds like you already are achieving decent levels of possession.  What are you achieving overall?  What do you hope to achieve?  How are your results?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, autohoratio said:

My problem is that there seems to be no sign of players becoming more comfortable on the ball or playing a short passing style over time, despite playing in a possession-based tactic from the beginning.

I noticed it too. No matter how long you play with your tactic and how familiar a player is with it - I still get such feedback from my assistant. I agree that players may be more more suited to another playing style, but there should be a way to re-train them.

Can I remind users that this is a thread for honest and constructive feedback? Please don't cry about how the game is "broken" or a "travesty" if you aren't willing to back your claims up.

On 14/06/2019 at 06:53, autohoratio said:

Attempting to play a possession game is increasingly frustrating when players will panic when the ball is at their feet hoof the ball clear under the slightest pressure and regardless of whether an unmarked passing option is 10m in front of them. Shorter (or much shorter) passing TI, play out of defence seem to do very little to remedy this.

Players who've been in the team since the beginning of the save will still have "Looks like X is used to playing a more direct game than asked to today" AM feedback— Just how long do they have to be playing the same system to adapt to it? Am I going to have to make every player learn 'plays way out of trouble' and 'plays short, simple passes' PPMs?

Well maybe your doing something wrong? And its not the game and no matter how good a player is he will hoof it when under pressue. You might believe that a player is unmark but what is the situation does passing the ball x player and where does x player go with the ball?

Been playing a lot recently. Finding the ME a bit of a joke in the sense of how all my goals are one of 2 variants, but expect that someone will say it's my tactics.

I have a few questions / issues though.

1) Is there a minimum time a chairman will keep a club for? I've had my newgen Chairman for 7 years and he still "will never leave of his own volition". I want him gone, and fully accept it must be random and not manager-influenced, but wonder if there is a set minimum.

2) Club X in swoop for Player Y - for me this should only be used for completed deals. 

3) Managing France far into the future and nearly every day there is a long list of news items about dual nationality newgen teenagers thinking what they should do, or end of career Ligue 2 journeymen. I think its very realistic national team staff should keep track of this, but maybe collate it into a single monthly message highlighting the few high-profile ones, only having individual news items if a sufficiently high profile does something drastic that day.

$) In journalist questions about item 3 - there is no response along the lines of "Well he is 31 and playing in Ligue 2, so maybe he should consider playing for Madagascar and not France". 

6 hours ago, Per Annum said:

Finding the ME a bit of a joke in the sense of how all my goals are one of 2 variants, but expect that someone will say it's my tactics

It's been discussed at length in this thread, when I say length i mean ALOT. It's an "issue" but better than the previous update versions. They said they'll work on it for fm20 or try to better it at least. 

6 hours ago, Per Annum said:

Club X in swoop for Player Y - for me this should only be used for completed deals. 

Not realistic, teams dont do it often but there's been a slight rise if im not wrong recently within the last 3 years. 

2 hours ago, BigV said:

Not realistic, teams dont do it often but there's been a slight rise if im not wrong recently within the last 3 years. 

I think we might be talk about different things. 

My news feed in FM is littered "Club X in swoop for player Y" headlines, then when you click on it they've just made a bid, even a loan bid. 

I think the wording of that news item should only be used for completed deals, not mere submitted offers. 

Unlike some of my other views on fm, this is a bit subjective though, especially with the increasing social media feed in fm.

10 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

I don't agree. I believe the match engine was far better in beta.

Beta doesn't really count as you can't go back to that pre update database.

9 hours ago, Per Annum said:

I think we might be talk about different things.

Apologies, i've seen a few but you are right. Although "swopping" would suggest they're going for him as a clear target to whom they want

Was just baffled by the game myself :D

My central defender, who's been pretty much a starting regular for the last 8 years, is all of a sudden hoping the he will start more games soon.
He's played virtually every single game he could have played. Before i arrived at the club and after i arrived at the club.

I believe it happened when i brought in another CD. He was worried about being replaced. Told him he had nothing to worry about.
Nor does he have anything to worry about. The one i brought to the club is meant to be his partner :D

1 hour ago, roykela said:

Was just baffled by the game myself :D

My central defender, who's been pretty much a starting regular for the last 8 years, is all of a sudden hoping the he will start more games soon.
He's played virtually every single game he could have played. Before i arrived at the club and after i arrived at the club.

I believe it happened when i brought in another CD. He was worried about being replaced. Told him he had nothing to worry about.
Nor does he have anything to worry about. The one i brought to the club is meant to be his partner :D

I think this is the issue. When I was faced with a similar issue I discovered that I'd made a promise to keep playing him and from memory the promise expired after two months.

Just now, Hovis Dexter said:

I think this is the issue. When I was faced with a similar issue I discovered that I'd made a promise to keep playing him and from memory the promise expired after two months.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure it is. Can't say i'm too worried about it.
I do think it could've been worded differently/better ('Hoping that he will start some more matches soon'). As that really isn't the problem.

4 hours ago, craiigman said:

This game does baffle me at times..

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 10.51.29.png

I had a similar rather baffling reaction yesterday...

197418683_Guzmanfeedback.thumb.jpg.86e321e76a3aa8453fb7ba9bb146b177.jpg

And of course, if you try to investigate why he's enraged, there's no real reason. It just defaults to type because his media handling style is "outspoken, volatile, confrontational" which I must admit I'd not paid any notice of before. That's some combination though!
In my save at least, Dabbur is level-headed so not sure why that triggered that kind of response from him.

It will be nice if you can self-funding the cost a coaching license at FM20.

I am playing a new save where I have started as unemployment - Sunday League Footballer - No coach license.

Currently I am hold a National C at Vanarama League North. Club balance is negative, so the broad refuse to send me on coaching course.

I make as manager 2.800€ per month - that's 33.600€ per year; so I can fund my coaching license.

18 минут назад, Cadoni сказал:

I am playing a new save where I have started as unemployment - Sunday League Footballer - No coach license.

Currently I am hold a National C at Vanarama League North. Club balance is negative, so the broad refuse to send me on coaching course.

I make as manager 2.800€ per month - that's 33.600€ per year; so I can fund my coaching license.

I wrote about this in wishlist in last year. Maybe SI will add this option in future

2 hours ago, Cadoni said:

Further interaction options for sending a player/staff on a coaching course would be good too, it's very annoying when the board arbitrarily reject the request (without even giving a reasonable explanation) and you have no way to appeal their decision – and then agree to sending a different player/staff on a coaching course.

• SI Staff
On 21/06/2019 at 14:11, Per Annum said:

3) Managing France far into the future and nearly every day there is a long list of news items about dual nationality newgen teenagers thinking what they should do, or end of career Ligue 2 journeymen. I think its very realistic national team staff should keep track of this, but maybe collate it into a single monthly message highlighting the few high-profile ones, only having individual news items if a sufficiently high profile does something drastic that day.

This one looks like it is a great candidate for posting in our Feature Request section - https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-pcmac/

Sure this has probably been mentioned but this is slightly infuriating...

Promoted to the Championship with Coventry and try to sign a free agent called George Thomas. Wants £21.5k a week and won't budge. I can only offer £5k a week max so I put him on my shortlist just incase it drops down in a while. Bolton, who have just been relegated to League One, sign him. On £4.3k a week.

5 hours ago, potbellypigs said:

Promoted to the Championship with Coventry and try to sign a free agent called George Thomas. Wants £21.5k a week and won't budge. I can only offer £5k a week max so I put him on my shortlist just incase it drops down in a while. Bolton, who have just been relegated to League One, sign him. On £4.3k a week.

This has been an issue in the game for a while

1 hour ago, Snorks said:

Can we please update the inane journo quesiton "Player XX was having such a bad game and people are questioning your decision to leave him on the pitch" and let me please answer with "I had used all three subs who were performing much worse" 

+1 ... I’ve raised this as well ... I’m pretty sure that I posted it as a bug ... in any event it’s an infuriating question.

On 26/06/2019 at 17:13, autohoratio said:

Further interaction options for sending a player/staff on a coaching course would be good too, it's very annoying when the board arbitrarily reject the request (without even giving a reasonable explanation) and you have no way to appeal their decision – and then agree to sending a different player/staff on a coaching course.

Not sure about this. I’ve got the impression that the board rejects the request based on the existing qualifications of the staff member and his personality ... could be wrong but that’s my impression.

On 26/06/2019 at 14:53, Cadoni said:

I suspect that this is not included because if you could fund your own course there would be no point in asking the board to pay for the course. Also the amount of money that anyone earns has minimal relation to the amount of free cash that he has ... it all depends upon his outgoings. 

3 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I suspect that this is not included because if you could fund your own course there would be no point in asking the board to pay for the course. Also the amount of money that anyone earns has minimal relation to the amount of free cash that he has ... it all depends upon his outgoings. 

It will be nice for the first steps, National; not Continental.

42 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Not sure about this. I’ve got the impression that the board rejects the request based on the existing qualifications of the staff member and his personality ... could be wrong but that’s my impression.

I think when that happens, you're given a message like "we don't believe so and so has any interest in pursuing this qualification". Usually I'm given other reasons, like coaching workload being too high or (If I'm remembering right, at least) the board just not thinking it would be appropriate.

15 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

I think when that happens, you're given a message like "we don't believe so and so has any interest in pursuing this qualification". Usually I'm given other reasons, like coaching workload being too high or (If I'm remembering right, at least) the board just not thinking it would be appropriate.

I've had a number of different responses, from 'being too busy' to 'not needing' whether I am asking for myself or for another coach.

9 hours ago, potbellypigs said:

Oh I hate this bug. Has been part of the game for a while and never been fixed. 

The other week, someone was complaining on here about having to play 2 games in 3 days but it was rightly pointed out that this does occasionally happen, especially around Christmas time in England. There are of course some other examples e.g. 3 games in 5 days which I believe has happened before IRL but it is rare.

How about 5 games in 9 days? Sat, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun!

20190629015559_1.thumb.jpg.dbe39fa094de0930caf843fdc01b4bc2.jpg

This was our fixture list just after gettign through to the SF of the Europa League:

20190629000900_1.thumb.jpg.7013ef346831569d720e617078da0bae.jpg

They moved our SF legs to Wed instead of Thur which meant that our Tue game v Palace had to be postponed. Not sure that was the best of ideas tbh,
There has to be a better way of doing this, our players are dead on their feet!

We did manage to keep our winning streak going, even with a game every other day and, with just one game to go we were top of the table for the first time all season!
20190629045053_1.thumb.jpg.1ad2173bf71e2623d1d7aaff5fcb62c7.jpg

Just one more push..... no, it was one game too far.
We promptly lost 4-2 at home to Leicester in our final match, thanks to an injury and a red card, and were overtaken by both Arsenal and Man U to finish 3rd.

20190629174944_1.thumb.jpg.e55c39f6137b9f92e9febf383fa1bf61.jpg
We also lost the FA Cup final to Man U the following game and then had to play Inter Milan in the Europa League final just THREE days later.
Thankfully, we didn't make it four agonising defeats (we also lost to Arsenal in the Carabao Final in February) and smashed Inter in a bonkers game to at least take home some silverware.

20190629191104_1.thumb.jpg.5d434382c054a0f334c143c0c86889ff.jpg

If only we'd have had proper rest between games, we could have been celebrating a treble.

I remember in Fm12 I was playing in the League of Ireland. I was well into the save and competing in Europe. I had 3 games in 3 days!

This year I've had 10 games in 32 days! I was sharing a ground which led to a few games been postponed that otherwise would not have been. I can't complain too much but the Middlesbrough defeat cost me a shot at the title.

193507945_FixturePileup.thumb.PNG.2903ef61c73c125d6d1c1a2283819f79.PNG

These players are really doing my head in.

707679458_ContractWoodburn.thumb.jpg.d5d1c612212f3e37468019cff29e1795.jpg20271384_ContractWoodburn2.thumb.jpg.a0f4170d6675e5e76fb6114ee8901a41.jpg

1895848925_ContractSilva.thumb.jpg.7db64dc1247670aeb5ea0d5babab29c6.jpg2105637536_ContractSilva2.thumb.jpg.ebbaee5aa4fa246c308a547fb07ae089.jpg

348292968_ContractMaddison.thumb.jpg.450e5ed24c858dce78eab1d5760656cd.jpg1919488658_ContractMaddison2.thumb.jpg.91e501cc1ac9d54a7b11b254ca00d74d.jpg

Just 3 examples of players starting to think they deserve a new contract only a year after signing their last one, and still having years left on their current deals.
Why agree to the new long deal in the first place if every year you are going to be asking for a new one?
And please, don't tell me it's just a pre-concern because anybody who has played FM19 more than a few minutes knows these turn into requests within weeks.
This really needs readjusting for FM20, along with their constant moaning about not playing almost every game.
It's pissing me right off!

Edited by Earnie is God!

4 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

Just 3 examples of players starting to think they deserve a new contract only a year after signing their last one, and still having years left on their current deals.
Why agree to the new long deal in the first place if every year you are going to be asking for a new one?
And please, don't tell me it's just a pre-concern because anybody who has played FM19 more than a few minutes knows these turn into requests within weeks.
This really needs readjusting for FM20, along with their constant moaning about not playing almost every game.

Correct. This was an issue that was never balanced out properly. Sometimes you sign a player in July and they are eager for a raise by December. You couldn't even get through one year of your five year deal?

7 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

These players are really doing my head in.

3 hours ago, Overmars said:

Correct. This was an issue that was never balanced out properly. Sometimes you sign a player in July and they are eager for a raise by December. You couldn't even get through one year of your five year deal?

Players always want more money in real life - just as I do !

This may or may not be realistic, however for me the issue becomes one of time squishing.  In real life these requests will be few and far between over the course of an entire year, but in FM we squish that year into a matter of hours of gameplay, so we constantly see these requests popping up and it becomes a bit of a pain to manage.  Clicking "sod off you've got plenty of time remaining on your current deal" 30 times an hour isn't exactly fun after all.

So a tricky balancing act between realistic, immersive gameplay and being a bit tedious.  And of course just leaving it up to the DoF may mean they do get a new contract every year and finances get out of control.

Shouldn't that also depend on the contract they've signed in the first place? Plus the Overall wage structure of the club.

F'r instance, Player assigns to club for a comparably modest wage, then performs really Special, and perceives he's not getting enough Money based on his Performance relative to his team-mates (perhaps even the Players at Clubs around his). Likely also a factor either way, but this should be really "fun" with those back to back to back Promotion kinda saves (however they're achieved). 

Edited by Svenc

I think the time-squishing argument is a valid one, also IRL these contract talks take years to complete in themselves whereas we do it with a couple of clicks over a matter of in game days. Perhaps these pre-concerns could be allayed by entering into a much longer form of negotiations, similar almost to the transfer system with it's make offer and let them come back to you a bit later, and the suggest terms buttons, and even an option for both sides to say "We're getting nowhere, lets have a break for a few months and concentrate on the football". At the moment it's a bit blackjack-y, with it's green amber red, not talking to you anymore mechanic.

2 часа назад, herne79 сказал:

This may or may not be realistic, however for me the issue becomes one of time squishing.  In real life these requests will be few and far between over the course of an entire year, but in FM we squish that year into a matter of hours of gameplay, so we constantly see these requests popping up and it becomes a bit of a pain to manage.  Clicking "sod off you've got plenty of time remaining on your current deal" 30 times an hour isn't exactly fun after all.

So a tricky balancing act between realistic, immersive gameplay and being a bit tedious.  And of course just leaving it up to the DoF may mean they do get a new contract every year and finances get out of control.

You remind me article which I read in the 2000s. It was a magazine yet, not website, so I can't find or share it there, but main message of this article was about realism.
The summary was as follows - realism in videogames must go up to that point where players have fun from this. :kriss:
If game has a realism which prevents pleasure its a fault. Even in simulator genre. (Also there was a note about not to be confused between challenge and prevents pleasure)

I agree with opinion if realism > pleasure in balance, so it must be returned in r = p. 

if only because FM is not 100% imitation of football IRL, more like videogame 'based on' (Its not reproach of SI, its technology limit issue)

1 час назад, Svenc сказал:

Shouldn't that also depend on the contract they've signed in the first place? Plus the Overall wage structure of the club.

F'r instance, Player assigns to club for a comparably modest wage, then performs really Special, and perceives he's not getting enough Money based on his Performance relative to his team-mates (perhaps even the Players at Clubs around his). Likely also a factor either way, but this should be really "fun" with those back to back to back Promotion kinda saves (however they're achieved). 

It is I guess.

This is funny but I see requests about salary not often in FM19 :) It was a lot in FM18

Few points why

• I don't play in top teams in FM19, and top players the most demanding (IRL and FM too). Actually I dont play in top teams exactly because I tired to manage top players :lol:
  • In FM19 I give ~ asking salary. Or formulate another - I structure salary in club more than ever. In past FMs I hit the price and salary as possible, so players were hungry pernamently
  • I think that mechanics of asking salary was improved in FM19

7 hours ago, herne79 said:

I appreciate where you are coming from but I don't really believe this is the case. The argument about people like us wanting more money isn't valid as most of us don't sign a contract with our employer stipulating we'd get X amount a week for the next four years, do we. And if we did, we'd probably have no right to then go in and tell them, about a quarter of the way through completion, we want more money just because we were doing the job they were paying us to do.

Already introduced, on top of all the bonuses, are the multiple wage increases after playing X amount of games, especially for young or new signings. But they become meaningless because these players want a brand new deal less than a year after signing. I have a number of youngsters in this situation who already want a new deal, less than a year into their 3-4yr current one, even though they have played either zero or very few games. They have done nothing to deserve a new contract but that still doesn't stop them thinking they deserve one. Why?

And it's not just the requests for new deals that annoy me. The interaction you then have with the player is extremely volatile and unpredictable. Most of the time if you try to talk rationally to them it doesn't work. Let's take your "you've got plenty of time remaining on your current deal" response, seeing as you mentioned it. In previous FM versions, this used to work more often than not and at least sent the player away for a bit, and rightly so. They were perhaps trying it on, being a bit cheeky, but then, as Brian Clough once said, "we would sit down and talk about it for 20min and then decide I was right."
In FM19, I'd have to say that the most common reaction from the player is one of anger, telling me "I don't care how long I have left on my contract, this is about my wage!" and that can't be right. They are getting paid for doing their job and they already have bonuses if they do the job well; that should be that.

If you look at the screenshots I posted above, all three players "hold me in the highest regard as a manager" and supposedly have the greatest of respect for me. I've been Cardiff manager for six seasons now and finished in the top half every season. So it's not as if I'm some clueless newbie. But where is that respect when it comes to player interactions (not just contracts but just about anything, playing time is another)? It goes out of the window and that's where the whole process falls down.

It needs to change, and quickly.

Edited by Earnie is God!

2 ore fa, Juliano Machado ha scritto:

Olá, compro o seu jogo a anos, sou um enorme fã, tenho uma pergunta, é possível liberar o numero 10 da camisa do Napoli? Pois é com Diego Maradona e fica impossibilitado de usar.

Eu tenho o editor in-game comprado.
UM GRANDE ABRAÇO DO BRASIL.  

I think you can edit "retired number" in the editor before you start the save.

22 hours ago, Novem9 said:

You remind me article which I read in the 2000s. It was a magazine yet, not website, so I can't find or share it there, but main message of this article was about realism.
The summary was as follows - realism in videogames must go up to that point where players have fun from this. :kriss:
If game has a realism which prevents pleasure its a fault. Even in simulator genre. 

That's why you don't have to pee or take a dump when patrolling for Hours in Armed Assault. Still a fundamentally different experience to Call Of Duty (though both, at first glance, share some things in common). :P [Btw, I think a lot more games would Benefit from having "simulationist" aspects, as on average in particular your AAA Blockbuster game tends to be like an interactive movie experience these days (go here, do this, get reward, good boy), but that's another debate entirelly. It's also a subjective one, as fun, unfortunately is :D]

Edited by Svenc

The hell is the deal with long shots, a 1/3 of goals conceded are from them. Hating the game already.

edit: Make that more than 1/3 of goals conceded.

Match engine bug forum closing as well, wonderful.

Edited by aiston

If a third of the goals you concede really are from long shots (and you're not just exaggerating for dramatic effect), maybe the problem lies with your tactics. Think about why you're letting in so many of them and take action to address that issue. If you're not sure what to do, just head over to the tactics forum and ask for advice there.

It always amazes me how quickly certain users choose to blame the match engine for their failings before their own tactical choices.

Edited by CFuller