Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, pizzachips said:

id say no.. if they good enough why not..  in real life united have promoted from within 

Similarly I sent out Niasse on loan to a Russian club, he popped up in the scouting report and recommended a player from the club he was on loan with. The player was utter gash but it's still a pretty cool feature imo. 

• SI Staff
21 hours ago, rcirani7 said:

It says he holds me in the highest regard and is very close to me and I'm one of his favoured personnel, but also he has no strong feelings about me. Am I missing something or is Thiago just weird?

Screenshot 2017-11-07 18.38.31.png

Can you report this as a bug in the bugs forum please?

19 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Wycombe have them

Really that's very interesting, perhaps that's the ground they used as the template for them.  Stalybridge Celtic have a condiment table for their burger kiosk which is near the pitch but I have never seen picnic tables.   I have never been to Adams Park, but I have just looked at about 150 pictures of the stadium and I didn't spot them, perhaps you could upload a picture

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Really that's very interesting, perhaps that's the ground they used as the template for them.  Stalybridge Celtic have a condiment table for their burger kiosk which is near the pitch but I have never seen picnic tables.   I have never been to Adams Park, but I have just looked at about 150 pictures of the stadium and I didn't spot them, perhaps you could upload a picture

I dont have one to hand, but I can tell you that they are next to the entrance for the away fans

3 hours ago, Erufaildon said:

In my Man Utd game I get recommendations for new physios, coaches, etc from within my own team. Eg. recommendation for new first-team coach is my U-18 coach. Is this a bug?

I asked the same, I think they're being recommended to make the step  up from younger players to first team coaches, sometimes you never think about promotion from within.

3 hours ago, Erufaildon said:

In my Man Utd game I get recommendations for new physios, coaches, etc from within my own team. Eg. recommendation for new first-team coach is my U-18 coach. Is this a bug?

I asked the same, I think they're being recommended to make the step  up from younger players to first team coaches, sometimes you never think about promotion from within.

I'm enjoying playing the beta, most because of the ME I think is very promising. Don't care for dynamics and game day experiences. The main complain I have, have it for years now.. the way the calendars are made. We play FM like NBA or NHL is played, with 3 or 4 games home and away in a row. And that does not happen, at least if you are not playing NHL or NBA. SI should add a meeting with the team, preparing for road trips and prepare the team mentally to be away from home for several weeks! :)

Everything else, the UI, at first impact was weird, but now I'm enjoying it a lot. 

22 minutes ago, jc1 said:

I do think it's working as intended in terms of the concept, but that's not to say I don't think it can be tweaked slightly, to make the recommendations slightly better. E.g. less of seeing internal sport scientist with poor physio stat being recommended for promotion to physio.               (nothing specific to log)

I play FM18 set to Light Skin and 125% and found that Letters and Numbers sometimes look ugly as if they are not scaled well to 125% and have sort of artifact Pixels from that.

Scouting so far is confusing

ME looks better and Players act less clumsy most of the time

Dont like the changes to the Trikots though - want the Backsides of the Shirts like in FM17 bcs they were perfect aliigning with the numbers and hat the right background colour

Edited by Etebaer

Is it just me or are the highlights a little scripted. Like when I see an opposition winger wide with a striker dead centre (even when covered by defenders), it's always been a goal against. Or when the goalie moves slightly to the side on a 1v1, it'll be a goal.

(I know it's clearly my tactics, but it just leaves so little to the imagination)

Edited by Deisler26

9 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Is it just me or are the highlights a little scripted. Like when I see an opposition winger wide with a striker dead centre (even when covered by defenders), it's always been a goal against. Or when the goalie moves slightly to the side on a 1v1, it'll be a goal.

(I know it's clearly my tactics, but it just leaves so little to the imagination)

Every time a cross comes in, keeper knocks it out for a corner and you get told he "almost got lucky with that", you know fine well a goal is coming from the resultant corner. 

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

Why?  Even if they were, they'd still be completely pointless, and just a vehicle for people to be either hilariously effusive or hilariously critical.  Or to write those sweet, sweet "bantz" reviews.  None of those are particularly useful.

Have you seen the reviews for the Witcher 3?

First season, playing as Coventry City, I've just been knocked out of the League Cup by Swansea. 89th minute goal and no complaints about the result. The boys played really well and dominated possession despite being the away team.

What's slightly perplexing is the reaction in the changing room. I come in and the players still aren't interested in what i have to say. 

I don't know if it's a game issue or just me having an issue with tactics and/or players.
But does anyone else experience a lot of through-balls from very deep position?

Fairly often when my players are clearing the ball, the ball comes right back as a through-ball and there's a a huge chance.
I do have a huge problem trying to defend those balls though. When that happens my defenders are always slow to react. I've tried changing formations, roles, instructions.
I cannot get my defenders to defend any deeper than what's possible to set and still my defenders run forward before starting to run back, trying to pick the ball up.
Resulting in them being way behind and making it impossible to defend against them.

I'm unsure if it happens the other way around, as i haven't really taken a note of it, due to the way i'm currently playing the game.
But there are quite a lot of them when watching the matches on comprehensive highlights.

Now, i know you can try to reduced those through-balls but that is an issue for the tactics sub-forum. That is not what this is about.
Is it my tactical inaptitude or is it a potential issue?

1 hour ago, Dalglish said:

First season, playing as Coventry City, I've just been knocked out of the League Cup by Swansea. 89th minute goal and no complaints about the result. The boys played really well and dominated possession despite being the away team.

What's slightly perplexing is the reaction in the changing room. I come in and the players still aren't interested in what i have to say. 

Firstly, I'm getting on a bit (41 years old w/ two kids) so I wasn't going to get FM18.  However, apart from one or two new features that I'm trying to get to grips with (such as scouting) I think it's fantastic!

Secondly, I'm also playing as Coventry City and I noticed initially the players were not interested in anything I had to say.  My assumption was because the team was recently relegated and the characters in the dressing room may still be down in the dumps.  Or it could be because an inexperienced manager has taken over and I currently don't have their respect.

I have noticed in the dynamics section that as the season has progressed, morale has slowly increased and players have become more attentive, which to me adds a bit more realism.  During team-talks they still don't always seem overly interested but at this stage it hasn't affected results. 

On previous versions you could take over a struggling team, buy a few players and move a few players on, and you'd be smashing out the wins in no time.  Now it needs a bit more thought to how you give teams talks (not being too harsh if we lose) and asking players to handle certain tasks like tutoring.

As I said, I'm loving FM18 and loving the challenge of Coventry City.

Edited by AndyPass
spelling error

So I just walked into the post match talk with my players after winning the title in my first season with Milan. As soon as I walked in the mood changed to an awkward silence and the players appeared to be completely dis-interested  to what I had to say. I then gave a passionate talk saying congratulations, you will remember this for a long time, etc. A few of my players reacted badly to this and turned to a red reaction. I. Can't remember but I think they became jaded. Kind of a humorous reaction to winning the title.

7 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I've noticed more long range through balls than in previous versions as well. 

Quite frustrating at times.
Don't know enough to know, or even have an idea, whether it's an ME issue, 3D graphics issue and/or a tactical/player issue yet.

Really enjoying FM18 so far, but the one real gripe I have is not being able to see the information I want during a match when there isn't a highlight. In highlights I can set my widgets as I like, so I can keep track of things like long shots, pass % and clear cut/half chances. However, once a highlight is over I actually see less information than I want to, because the widget is replaced by the default  match stats tab/lineups/etc,  and there are only the limited stats on offer in the match stats window, or I have to go to the match stats tab, which remains open if there is a highlight. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just add the stats I want in the match stats tab, or even replace the focus of attacks window with extra match stats. 

I’ve been stop- start playing the beta since the release but for me personally the match engine is a big problem. The football played is ugly. Everything often feels forced to make a result happen. There’s no fluidity in movement. Crosses constantly going to front post. Defensive errors look out of place (again forced). Reactions to loose balls seem set (a player far away from the ball reacts whereas a player close doesn’t). Commented previously about lack of intelligence and will say that again. Lack of intelligence in movement off the ball to create space  for other players and that’s often followed up by lack of intelligence in pass placement. Also lone strikers lack intelligence with runs in behind defenders against deep defences. Lack of intelligence with First touch in box seems to make it difficult for players create space and get shots away in tight situations Defenders often backing off from long balls, often allowing free headers or time and space. 

The worst part about all these problems is that 90% of these were also problems in last years game. The lack of progress in one of the most vital parts of the game is extremely disappointing.

1 hour ago, roykela said:

I don't know if it's a game issue or just me having an issue with tactics and/or players.
But does anyone else experience a lot of through-balls from very deep position?

Fairly often when my players are clearing the ball, the ball comes right back as a through-ball and there's a a huge chance.
I do have a huge problem trying to defend those balls though. When that happens my defenders are always slow to react. I've tried changing formations, roles, instructions.
I cannot get my defenders to defend any deeper than what's possible to set and still my defenders run forward before starting to run back, trying to pick the ball up.
Resulting in them being way behind and making it impossible to defend against them.

I'm unsure if it happens the other way around, as i haven't really taken a note of it, due to the way i'm currently playing the game.
But there are quite a lot of them when watching the matches on comprehensive highlights.

Now, i know you can try to reduced those through-balls but that is an issue for the tactics sub-forum. That is not what this is about.
Is it my tactical inaptitude or is it a potential issue?

I agree that I see more of this now than in FM17, which was pretty much zero though. For me this is not an issue atm, I seem to score and concede on  these type of chances only occasionally. Maybe you have very slow defenders? Or with very poor mental attributes? Or you've faced very quick strikers?

1 minute ago, kandersson said:

I agree that I see more of this now than in FM17, which was pretty much zero though. For me this is not an issue atm, I seem to score and concede on  these type of chances only occasionally. Maybe you have very slow defenders? Or with very poor mental attributes? Or you've faced very quick strikers?

That is most likely part of the problem.
But also not all of it. Playing lower league and my defenders are pretty fast for their league.
There have been forwards on opposing teams who have been quicker but most of them not.
Overall my defence have are ranked 2nd in Acceleration. Dead in the middle when it comes to Pace.

What makes me wonder is when i'm dropping the defence as deep as i can, by using the direct instructions and indirect instructions. They still can't deal with the deep through-balls.
Most of the time they just stand there for a little while, regardless of how close or far away the ball is, and then start running; when the attacker is through.
Other times they start running in the opposite direction, up the field, before turning 180 degrees and THEN start chasing the ball and the attacker; who is through.

In the 5 league games i've played now there's only been one attacker who's been quicker than my defenders.

So i'd like to think that the answer to your questions would be yes AND no.
Slow defenders? Not particularily.
Quick strikers? Sometimes yes but most of the time no.

One thing that doesn't help me in analysing what the actual issue is;  if i haven't been useless at FM tactics before i'm definitely shockingly awful now :D
But i have opened up a thread in the bugs forum to see if there might be an issue or not.

1 hour ago, AndyPass said:

Firstly, I'm getting on a bit (41 years old w/ two kids) so I wasn't going to get FM18.  However, apart from one or two new features that I'm trying to get to grips with (such as scouting) I think it's fantastic!

Secondly, I'm also playing as Coventry City and I noticed initially the players were not interested in anything I had to say.  My assumption was because the team was recently relegated and the characters in the dressing room may still be down in the dumps.  Or it could be because an inexperienced manager has taken over and I currently don't have their respect.

I have noticed in the dynamics section that as the season has progressed, morale has slowly increased and players have become more attentive, which to me adds a bit more realism.  During team-talks they still don't always seem overly interested but at this stage it hasn't affected results. 

On previous versions you could take over a struggling team, buy a few players and move a few players on, and you'd be smashing out the wins in no time.  Now it needs a bit more thought to how you give teams talks (not being too harsh if we lose) and asking players to handle certain tasks like tutoring.

As I said, I'm loving FM18 and loving the challenge of Coventry City.

I agree, it certainly felt like a relegation hangover in the first couple of months. However, as the season has progressed (and we've now hit good form), the team have slowly started to warm to me and my methods. 

I'm a couple of years older than you and also with two kids - So maybe childhood memories of Coventry winning the FA Cup in 87, is what made us choose them.

Found a problem in the finances screen. When i click on expenditure or income tab, the game freezes, one of the CPU's stands at 100% and I can only terminate FM.

Stangely enough, it happened picking an english team at the start of the second season(dafuge challenge), but didn't happen when picking Hammarby mid-season(July 2017).

3 screen shots showing an example of the poor intelligence in the game. The first screenshot clearly shows a perfect opportunity for a straight forward run for #8 (Icardi) through ball and a straight forward through ball for Mane. Instead the run isn't committed to and the pass isn't played. Sure i scored, but it's these things that are too often occurring and wasting good positions

20171108231526_1.jpg

20171108231539_1.jpg

20171108231546_1.jpg