Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've waited impatiently for a month or so for FM 2018 prior to starting a new long-running save.  I've tried the beta but at this point, with only a few days to go before the official release, I'm pessimistic that the game will be in shape for me to use.  Even after the recent updates the performance is still unacceptable, the game crashes every time I exit, and the scouting UI is highly annoying.  Since I've already purchased the game I'll monitor it under the impression that over time many problems will be corrected, but for now I'm sticking with FM 2017.

Niche topic perhaps but LLM scouting, oh man, this is so bad now :(

The scouting system did need altering, it truly did, but I don't feel the changes have added to realism or enhanced the player's experience.

No matter what method I use to decide scouting assignments, whether I use a DoF, or I set manual assignments for individual players, scouts only return bang average players (I accept scouts lower down have poorer ratings).

Packages - what's that about? Yes there are different scouting packages available IRL, National League has just done a deal with Scout7 so all clubs should have a medium package available and it certainly shouldn't cost 50k p/a. I bought that and I still have no idea what I get out of it. An extended shortlist? Rubbish. Even in English Tier 6, Scouts can find players. The packages should really affect the oppo reports you get from scouts (apologies if this happens and I've not realised) much more than the players you can find as, particularly in LLM, a package would relate to footage available.

And the player search, what have you done to that?! The UI is bonkers and seems options have been removed. (Why does a hover over Edit Search bring the box up? Both random and annoying). Much preferred the old one where we could add rows of conditions.

I don't post much on here but I log about 500 hours each edition, so I feel bad coming on with a list of complaints. I do see the work the studio does every year and it's a great series. 17 was a great edition, but I don't get the same impression from 18. On the whole the UI is a serious step backward, the amount of dead space on the tactics screen is such a waste. Dynamics I actually kinda like but still getting used to it.

5 hours ago, penza said:

has anyone managed to score direct free kicks? i can't compared to fm17 :( ..... am playing fm touch 

Yes and it doesn't matter if you're on FMT or not - the ME is the same.

8 hours ago, KUBI said:

Do you make tactical changes in the last 20 minutes of a game?

I've started to. Adding retain possession and lowering the tempo is usually two changes I do, but I rarely do that if I have a 2-0 lead. Then the AI usually get 2-3 quick goals and any changes I intended to do to keep my lead are pointless.

5 hours ago, Cavjj said:

Niche topic perhaps but LLM scouting, oh man, this is so bad now :(

The scouting system did need altering, it truly did, but I don't feel the changes have added to realism or enhanced the player's experience.

No matter what method I use to decide scouting assignments, whether I use a DoF, or I set manual assignments for individual players, scouts only return bang average players (I accept scouts lower down have poorer ratings).

Packages - what's that about? Yes there are different scouting packages available IRL, National League has just done a deal with Scout7 so all clubs should have a medium package available and it certainly shouldn't cost 50k p/a. I bought that and I still have no idea what I get out of it. An extended shortlist? Rubbish. Even in English Tier 6, Scouts can find players. The packages should really affect the oppo reports you get from scouts (apologies if this happens and I've not realised) much more than the players you can find as, particularly in LLM, a package would relate to footage available.

And the player search, what have you done to that?! The UI is bonkers and seems options have been removed. (Why does a hover over Edit Search bring the box up? Both random and annoying). Much preferred the old one where we could add rows of conditions.

I don't post much on here but I log about 500 hours each edition, so I feel bad coming on with a list of complaints. I do see the work the studio does every year and it's a great series. 17 was a great edition, but I don't get the same impression from 18. On the whole the UI is a serious step backward, the amount of dead space on the tactics screen is such a waste. Dynamics I actually kinda like but still getting used to it.

Have to completely agree.

5 hours ago, Cavjj said:

When the player search box comes up, of you click on the advanced tab at the top, that takes you to the old way of adding as many search conditions as you want. 

I actually quite like the way the box comes up when you hover over it now, although it's still not as intuitive as previous versions. Can feel myself slowly getting used to it though, as well as mamy of the other little quirks. 

I had plenty of concerns and worries about the first beta version, but its got so much better each update, and now i'm really enjoying the game. Still a few nuances I need to get the hang of, and I'm not a fan of hovering over the search buttong. But its great. KUTGW!

10 hours ago, KUBI said:

It's a beta, not the finished game. You starting a career game at your own risk. A beta is for testing purpose and to get used to the new features.

This statement a bit unfair, it's not what SI declares when trying to lure you to pre-buy the game...the claims is 'you can bring your games into the full game release'...a lot different than 'you starting a carreer game at your own risk'...

Edited by jam jameson

Just now, jam jameson said:

This statement a bit unfair, it's not what SI declares when trying to lure you to pre-buy the game...the claims is 'you can bring your games into the full game release'...a lot different than 'you starting a carreer game at your own risk'...

It will be possible to load your saved game into the official release of the game. But to profit from all changes made until the release you would need to start a new save.

3 minutes ago, jam jameson said:

SI dont try lure anyone.. as is often mentioned in addition to the beta, the world is free to try the demo from release day for free and make your own mind up then

6 minutes ago, pizzachips said:

SI dont try lure anyone.. as is often mentioned in addition to the beta, the world is free to try the demo from release day for free and make your own mind up then

You're talking about completely different things: thank you for remembering us that we're free to wait for the demo, you saved us...another thing is to promise that your beta-saves can be bought into full game, only to adjust the claim and say that the beta-saves are at our own risk and that to benefit from the Whole set of new features we'd better to wait for the full release...it's a polite and kind way to say that the Beta is a paid (by us) global test of the game...it's just to be clear...

Edited by jam jameson

8 minutes ago, pizzachips said:

You're talking about completely different things: thank you for remembering us that we're free to wait for the demo, you saved us...another thing is to promise that your beta-saves can be bought into full game, only to adjust the claim and say that the beta-saves are at our own risk and that to benefit from the Whole set of new features we'd better to wait for the full release...it's a polite and kind way to say that the Beta is a paid (by us) global test of the game...it's just to be clear...

24 minutes ago, jam jameson said:

It's exactly what SI declares.  You can bring your games into the full release, and many do, but you start every save at your own risk.  You can't blame SI just because you clearly have no understanding of what a beta release is.

Is there any way to remove the nationality underneath the player name on the player search screen?  And the league name that sits underneath the team name on the list?  It's taking up a lot of unnecessary screen room, reducing number of players I can see on the screen at one time.  I've already removed the player position mini-pitch style icon and replaced it with the better, simpler, two or three letter position identifier.

Why are we getting the same information as before presented to us in a much less efficient manner?  Just seems like a small step backwards imo.

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

It's exactly what SI declares.  You can bring your games into the full release, and many do, but you start every save at your own risk.  You can't blame SI just because you clearly have no understanding of what a beta release is.

always pro SI this guy ...  of course its a BETA  and it will have bugs, but 2 weeks prior to a game being released you would expect a lot less as it takes time and care to fix them all! Particularly bugs where the game is really slow or lags should not be happening, I haven't even bothered to give a single feedback as many bugs will not be fixed anyway, i am enjoying the game as is but gotta say its a bit annoying to see ALL your replies pro SI... very weird indeed.

Well, 4 days before the actual release of the game just can't be declared as beta, if we go with wikipedia descriptions, it would be labelled as release candidate in this stage.

FM is not the only beta game there is, but most of them are at least playable. FM at it's current state only borders with playable. And then you report a bug, and they tell you that that is a known bug as it's easily noticeable. How did you not seen it then on your internal testing?

Like I know that you can miss some bugs, especially database ones, and ME ones, and etc. but I really don't know how such a big lag or being unable to register the squad for CL can pass internal testing. That's just ridiculous.

16 hours ago, bababooey said:

All of this, agreed.

I have to wonder... if the Devs focused on the core game, and threw away any time spent on "gay players coming out", dynamics, social feeds, journalist questions, etc.  it could be SO much better. 

I hope that this is the case for FM19

3 minutes ago, Firehouse said:

Well, 4 days before the actual release of the game just can't be declared as beta, if we go with wikipedia descriptions, it would be labelled as release candidate in this stage.

I don' see how you've gathered that. I'm sure SI do have some builds approaching release candidates on their systems, doesn't mean the one we have from a few days ago is one.

13 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Before stating that I do no understand you'd better think well what you're about to write. I do not know you so please keep the right distance and education in replying to my messages, even because to be fair I'm not interested at all in your opinion. I asked for a reply from Kubi, he replied, issue closed without your un-requested lessons about what a beta is.

Edited by jam jameson

1 minute ago, Firehouse said:

Like I know that you can miss some bugs, especially database ones, and ME ones, and etc. but I really don't know how such a big lag or being unable to register the squad for CL can pass internal testing. That's just ridiculous.

Every fix could cause a side effect, that's the reason why you need to test a beta until it reaches a stability where you can say, it's ready for release. The complexity of the game code makes it hard to spot every bug at a glance, hence the public beta helps a lot to make the game better.

For what it’s worth I think it’s improved for me, the lagginess has gotten slightly better, and I’m sure it will improve again for the official release. I’m starting to try and settle down into a long term save with Hemel hamstead 

12 minutes ago, penza said:

always pro SI this guy ...  of course its a BETA  and it will have bugs, but 2 weeks prior to a game being released you would expect a lot less as it takes time and care to fix them all! Particularly bugs where the game is really slow or lags should not be happening, I haven't even bothered to give a single feedback as many bugs will not be fixed anyway, i am enjoying the game as is but gotta say its a bit annoying to see ALL your replies pro SI... very weird indeed.

Damn, you've caught me.  Instead of just having me as a mod, or employing me like they do with others, they took me aside and said I should be overtly pro-SI.  It's all part of some huge conspiracy as far as I know, but clearly it didn't get past you :rolleyes: Imagine how empty your life must have to be to invent some conspiracy theory around a game and an internet forum.  

Not that your post really needs clarifying for obvious reasons, but I'm a developer for a living, so I'm happy to point out any times people are woefully misinformed.  Funnily enough, SI usually know what they're doing when compared to someone standing on the outside of the black box that is the game.  And for the record, I'm not 100% positive about SI.  FM as a game has always hovered around 7/8 out of 10 for me for a number of versions now.  SI have taken their choices in the direction the game is going, and it's probably not going to be in the direction I'd most enjoy.  But it's their product, and theirs to do what they see fit with it.  FM18 looks to be similar to FM17 for me, in that I'll probably not get into it (haven't so far) and play it relatively little.  But maybe instead of just shrugging and getting on with my life, playing it when I take a notion, I should just be absolutely raging at everything.  Would that be better?  If my posts annoy you, I'd suggest you get out a bit more.

There is no public acceptance level for bugs.  SI have released some pretty stable beta releases in the past, and now they haven't.  They will probably fix a lot of them, or maybe they won't (certainly not helped by your "I'm not giving feedback because they won't be fixed anyway").  You can say "they shouldn't be happening" but that's not the full story.  In a perfect world, no piece of software would have bugs, but unfortunately they all do.  Most of them are riddled with them.  The hope is that the ones that do get left behind are minor, sometimes that battle is won, sometimes it's lost.  

4 minutes ago, jam jameson said:

Before stating that I do no understand you'd better breath think well what you're about to write. I do not know you so please keep the right distance and education in replying to my messages, even because to be fair I'm not interested at all in your opinion. I asked for a reply from Kubi, he replied, issue closed without your un-requested lessons about what a beta is.

Aside from the fact that you clearly didn't understand what a beta was, you do know it's an internet forum, right?  You don't get to choose who replies to you, particularly when you say ridiculous things like SI is "luring" you.  They offered an incentive that gave mutual benefit, but the product remained a beta version, and a less stable one than in previous years.  The risk is always with the user.

Edited by forameuss

1 minute ago, KUBI said:

Every fix could cause a side effect, that's the reason why you need to test a beta until it reaches a stability where you can say, it's ready for release. The complexity of the game code makes it hard to spot every bug at a glance, hence the public beta helps a lot to make the game better.

I know. That's why it seems impossible that the game will be at it's best in 4 days time, even though I know that SI team is couple of builds ahead of us.

Just now, forameuss said:

Damn, you've caught me.  Instead of just having me as a mod, or employing me like they do with others, they took me aside and said I should be overtly pro-SI.  It's all part of some huge conspiracy as far as I know, but clearly it didn't get past you :rolleyes: Imagine how empty your life must have to be to invent some conspiracy theory around a game and an internet forum.  

Not that your post really needs clarifying for obvious reasons, but I'm a developer for a living, so I'm happy to point out any times people are woefully misinformed.  Funnily enough, SI usually know what they're doing when compared to someone standing on the outside of the black box that is the game.  And for the record, FM18 looks to be similar to FM17 for me, in that I'll probably not get into it (haven't so far) and play it relatively little.  But maybe instead of just shrugging and getting on with my life, playing it when I take a notion, I should just be absolutely raging at everything.  Would that be better?  If my posts annoy you, I'd suggest you get out a bit more.

There is no public acceptance level for bugs.  SI have released some pretty stable beta releases in the past, and now they haven't.  They will probably fix a lot of them, or maybe they won't (certainly not helped by your "I'm not giving feedback because they won't be fixed anyway").  You can say "they shouldn't be happening" but that's not the full story.  In a perfect world, no piece of software would have bugs, but unfortunately they all do.  Most of them are riddled with them.  The hope is that the ones that do get left behind are minor, sometimes that battle is won, sometimes it's lost.  

Aside from the fact that you clearly didn't understand what a beta was, you do know it's an internet forum, right?  You don't get to choose who replies to you, particularly when you say ridiculous things like SI is "luring" you.  They offered an incentive that gave mutual benefit, but the product remained a beta version, and a less stable one than in previous years.  The risk is always with the user.

9,941 posts^^^ yeah my life is very empty indeed my friend. 

4 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Not that your post really needs clarifying for obvious reasons, but I'm a developer for a living, so I'm happy to point out any times people are woefully misinformed.  Funnily enough, SI usually know what they're doing when compared to someone standing on the outside of the black box that is the game.  And for the record, FM18 looks to be similar to FM17 for me, in that I'll probably not get into it (haven't so far) and play it relatively little.  But maybe instead of just shrugging and getting on with my life, playing it when I take a notion, I should just be absolutely raging at everything.  Would that be better?  If my posts annoy you, I'd suggest you get out a bit more.

8 minutes ago, KUBI said:

That's exactly what I was trying to say: if the Beta is a public test, than in my opinion it should be free, maybe limiting it to 14 days till the full release. This way you use us the users as free testers, and i addition get advanced incomes for a game about which we do not know anything till it's too late. Of course it's just an opinion, as Always any user is free to pre-order, to wait for the demo or the full release, it's just that I think the whole thing of the beta is not the best.

Edited by jam jameson

I'm more impressed with this beta than any of the previous few years.
I'm especially pleased to see improvements on : 

- wide players crossing/passing instead of shooting from insane angles, a few more pullbacks too

- more interaction with captain/vice-captain

- the analysis tool of the tactic creating screen

- more information generally on team atmosphere, individual mood / gelling

Bugs are bugs, this is beta, we're to report, you're to fix, if it happens it's all good, I see no point in whining about bugs during a public beta period.

I have to say some of the BS comments like "SI should not worry about dynamics and instead concentrate on XYZ" is such rubbish.

FM aims to give the user the most realistic and authentic experience of being an actual manager, whether it hinders you or not e.g Agents/Scouting/Dynamics. Comments such as certain features shouldn't be included/not important are clueless. Ask AVB who is now managing in China his thoughts on Dynamics and how he could have changed things at Chelsea?

FM is slowly becoming MORE AND MORE REALISTIC EVERY YEAR, I hope this trend continues!

2 minutes ago, jam jameson said:

That's exactly what I was trying to say: if the Beta is a public test, than in my opinion it should be free, maybe limiting it to 14 days till the full release. This way you use us the users as free testers, and i addition get advanced incomes for a game about which we do not know anything till it's too late. Of course it's just an opinion, as Always any user is free to pre-order, to wait for the demo or the full release, it's just that I think the whole thing of the beta is not the best.

The thing is, that if it would be free to public then we'd probably have 90% of the bug reports as garbage. Average kid Joe downloads, finds out he knows nothing about football, puts on three poachers, lose in first match with barcelona against albacete to 3-0 and starts whining : "this game is s**t, not worth downloading, messi couldn't score 5".
This way reporting are for more serious users, we fans are usually pre-order as we're putting half our lives into it and then we can provide quality feedback.

Remember, this beta test is also for our good. If I'm unhappy with something or think it's bad by design this is the time and place to tell.

p.s.: THis is not a paid advertisement :D

6 minutes ago, jam jameson said:

That's exactly what I was trying to say: if the Beta is a public test, than in my opinion it should be free, maybe limiting it to 14 days till the full release. This way you use us the users as free testers, and i addition get advanced incomes for a game about which we do not know anything till it's too late.

That causes its own problems though.  If it's completely free, then I guarantee more people would just see it as a way to get the game early.  That's already a huge problem, even with the financial barrier for entry.  At least if you've bought the game, you'll inherently want to make the game better, so more likely to raise bugs.  Maybe they need to be more explicit about what to expect in beta, but I'm not sure they could be.  They're already pretty clear, and plenty still don't see it as that.  

It's just not something that particularly benefits SI.  The way it is now gives the users a sweetener in being able to play early, and gives SI the opportunity to get some wider spread testing in.  I'm not convinced you get more benefit by making it free from SI's perspective.

EDIT: and also what skrew said, you probably wouldn't get the best quality reports if you got them anyway.

Edited by forameuss

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

That causes its own problems though.  If it's completely free, then I guarantee more people would just see it as a way to get the game early.  That's already a huge problem, even with the financial barrier for entry.  At least if you've bought the game, you'll inherently want to make the game better, so more likely to raise bugs.  Maybe they need to be more explicit about what to expect in beta, but I'm not sure they could be.  They're already pretty clear, and plenty still don't see it as that.  

It's just not something that particularly benefits SI.  The way it is now gives the users a sweetener in being able to play early, and gives SI the opportunity to get some wider spread testing in.  I'm not convinced you get more benefit by making it free from SI's perspective.

agreed, its already free 'in a way' as you can get a refund if you like and for most we all got 25% off thus thats very generous, at the end of the day its a game, and even if it were bug free we all need to learn to enjoy it, if i had bought fm for the first time i would think its perfect to be honest so i cant complain even if i noticed some bugs.

25 minutes ago, skrew said:

The thing is, that if it would be free to public then we'd probably have 90% of the bug reports as garbage. Average kid Joe downloads, finds out he knows nothing about football, puts on three poachers, lose in first match with barcelona against albacete to 3-0 and starts whining : "this game is s**t, not worth downloading, messi couldn't score 5".
This way reporting are for more serious users, we fans are usually pre-order as we're putting half our lives into it and then we can provide quality feedback.

Remember, this beta test is also for our good. If I'm unhappy with something or think it's bad by design this is the time and place to tell.

p.s.: THis is not a paid advertisement :D

24 minutes ago, forameuss said:

EDIT: and also what skrew said, you probably wouldn't get the best quality reports if you got them anyway.

I can see the point, it's a difficult balance between 'mis-using' the users as non-paid testers and providing them an opportunity to taste in advance what they're for

This really isn't constructive feedback, but man am I disappointed with it this year. Everything seems like a pain in the arse to do. Transfer center, tactics, scouting, match day tactics/team talk are especially annoying, terribly set out. all just have 1 too many buttons/clicks to do what you want to do. Why make so many unnecessary changes? I mean easy UI is the 1 thing of utmost importance to get right on a PC game, but you guys have taken 20 steps backs this year. 

Obviously, because of my addiction, I will continue to play it, so you're hip pocket won't be losing my 60 bucks SI. But damn, this really needs to be better. I hope to god there's a massive overhaul from the beta to the full-release. 

Mainly, please fix UI. 

Damn, it hurt me to write all those mean things about my beautiful Football Manager. 

Edited by LeonBlack
Change

1 hour ago, headshothitman said:

I have to say some of the BS comments like "SI should not worry about dynamics and instead concentrate on XYZ" is such rubbish.

FM aims to give the user the most realistic and authentic experience of being an actual manager, whether it hinders you or not e.g Agents/Scouting/Dynamics. Comments such as certain features shouldn't be included/not important are clueless. Ask AVB who is now managing in China his thoughts on Dynamics and how he could have changed things at Chelsea?

FM is slowly becoming MORE AND MORE REALISTIC EVERY YEAR, I hope this trend continues!

Not when you look at the stadiums it's not

1 hour ago, penza said:

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, penza said:

So, can we classify you as anti-SI then?

Now, I don't know exactly how things work at SI but one scenario might be this: The beta-branch of FM was released even though the team had already identified and was working on several bugs/performance issues. The point of the beta was to test things that simply can't be tested without thousands upon thousands of different computer specs being available. Not viable without an open beta. So even though the beta has it fair share of bugs that the large masses help to identify, there might be a bunch of them that was already known and under investigation and as usual we will most likely see a very hefty patch on launch.

Just a theory of course.

During a match I use the shots tab in the top middle panel. When I set it to 'overall' it resets back to 5 mins every time a player is clicked on or tactics entered, half time etc. That may be a bug.

By way of general feedback though, the screen uses the players squad number - which makes sense.

I have to two team lists in the left and right panels, but the players' squad numbers aren't shown there. If the squad numbers were shown there this would make it easier to analyse who is taking shots.

19 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

You can try manually deleting your cache and preferences files (though export any custom views first as this will delete them) as that should do a fuller reset than the in-game option, if that doesn't work then you'd need to wait for the bug to be fixed.

https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/

Thanks. It did work :thup:

• SI Staff
16 hours ago, martplfc1 said:

image.thumb.png.41408b7863af75f630612af0709595cf.pngimage.thumb.png.d5eccc608f87823abe21f9d346b4783f.pngimage.thumb.png.2b0804b0edf204687abd45672945f771.png

Some interesting looking regens :D

Might be that the scout tool isn't 100% accurate but if it is, just ridiculous!

Yeah that tool is very, very off. It seems to have simply mini/maxed all the relevant/non-relevant attributes. The newgens will not turn out like that.

2 hours ago, LeonBlack said:

This really isn't constructive feedback, but man am I disappointed with it this year. Everything seems like a pain in the arse to do. Transfer center, tactics, scouting, match day tactics/team talk are especially annoying, terribly set out. all just have 1 too many buttons/clicks to do what you want to do. Why make so many unnecessary changes? I mean easy UI is the 1 thing of utmost importance to get right on a PC game, but you guys have taken 20 steps backs this year. 

Obviously, because of my addiction, I will continue to play it, so you're hip pocket won't be losing my 60 bucks SI. But damn, this really needs to be better. I hope to god there's a massive overhaul from the beta to the full-release. 

Mainly, please fix UI. 

Damn, it hurt me to write all those mean things about my beautiful Football Manager. 

if you see the steam reviews, the mostly negative reviews are because of the terrible UI. 

I think if they fix the UI, this might be a really really good game.