What's your FM2018 Pre-Order Status? (poll)

What is your FM2018 pre-order status?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. What is your FM2018 pre-order status?

• I have already pre-ordered!
    • I haven't pre-ordered yet, but I will do so very soon
    • I haven't pre-ordered yet, but I will do so after the feature announcement
    • I haven't pre-ordered yet and probably won't pre-order at all
    • I definitely won't pre-order but I am very likely to buy FM2018 some time after release
    • I definitely won't pre-order and may not buy FM2018 at all

Ordinarily I would have already pre-ordered by now. But changes to personal circumstances and the fact I have a good save going are making me think a little more carefully about purchasing this years game.

So with that in mind, I won't be doing a pre-purchase until I know a little more about the new features.

I don't think they could do anything that would make me not pre-order.  I've not enjoyed or got into previous versions as much, but still probably get more hours out of it than most games, and the fact it doesn't need 100% attention suits the time I'll actually get to play it.

I'll probably pre-order either the day before the offer ends, or forget and end up paying full price.  Before the beta anyway.

I will pre-order coz I always buy the game when it comes out and who can sniff at the discount? I won't do it till near the time the offer ends though because I'm one of those last minute, do-it-before-the-deadline types.

I've already pre-ordered. I've clocked in 734 hours so far in FM17. Looking back at the other games I have most FM's have given me more than 600 hours. I have all versions from FM09 on steam, and have the other earlier on discs, all the way back to CM2. For me, that's value for the money I pay. I expect to use a similar amount of time on FM18 as well, so why not pre-order and get the discount.

Now, I'm not one who usually pre-order anything, but for me, FM is the exception to the rule. I don't like pre-ordering games without any previous knowledge, but I kinda feel I know what FM brings to the table. An improved ME, updated database, GUI improvements and general improvements to the game. Maybe even some new cool features? With what I know and from my previous experience with FM I will buy it anyway, so why not now?

I chose the third option. I probably will pre-order FM18, much like I did with FM17, but only if I like the look of the new features.

FM17 was the first game to get me hooked into a proper long-term career since FM13. I still play either of those games almost every day, and have a couple of engrossing careers that are not even close to completion.

As such, I might not have much time for FM18. Mind you, few significant improvements here and there would go some way to breaking my resistance to temptation. If I do buy FM18, it would be my fourth FM in a row, and I'm someone who previously tended to buy the game only once every other edition.

Taking your money, but you have no clue what are the features. Lol. Nowadays gaming industry has such an easy way to ask you to part with your money. They don't even need to release any details! Wow! 

I won't be giving a single cent until I know what I'm getting in return. 

56 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

Taking your money, but you have no clue what are the features. Lol. Nowadays gaming industry has such an easy way to ask you to part with your money. They don't even need to release any details! Wow! 

I won't be giving a single cent until I know what I'm getting in return. 

I know, I was raging.  Miles busted in last night with a mask on and demanded my money.  I was shocked.  I tried to tell him that it was my choice what I did with my money, but he just put a boxed copy of FM17 in a sock and went all Scum on me.  Country's gone to the dogs.

At least there's white knights like you keeping the faith against these nasty, nasty developers.  I'm very, very sure you're the only one doing this.

Waiting to hear user reports on any potential defensive positioning improvements in FM18, before making a definite commitment.

The discounts don't matter to me, the quality of the game is the only factor I'm looking at - and more specifically, the tactics module/match engine.

I have pre-ordered. The discount was very tempting and I'm bored of FM17 now, I just cannot hold a season together, I always seem to start well and collapse. Demotivated me after 5 seasons and my online save didn't last more than about 2 weeks. Hoping FM18 can keep me gripped.

On 8/16/2017 at 18:48, Cougar2010 said:

My option isn't there YKW :(

Haven't pre-ordered yet but probably will do before the offer ends.

On 8/16/2017 at 19:40, Barside said:

If it was available I'd choose; I will probably pre-order after the main features are announced & I like what I see/hear/read.

Hahaha I thought I had done well and covered all the bases, but reading the options again I've clearly left some out/been ambiguous. The middle option was intended to cover Barside's position - I meant to write "but will probably do so after the feature announcement." I think if someone is waiting for the feature announcement specifically then it seems implied that they will base their decision on what they hear.

Cougar I would personally put you down as "but will do so very soon," however I recognize my categories aren't ideal.

On 8/17/2017 at 07:58, forameuss said:

I know, I was raging.  Miles busted in last night with a mask on and demanded my money.  I was shocked.  I tried to tell him that it was my choice what I did with my money, but he just put a boxed copy of FM17 in a sock and went all Scum on me.  Country's gone to the dogs.

At least there's white knights like you keeping the faith against these nasty, nasty developers.  I'm very, very sure you're the only one doing this.

Hahaha, I actually think that upthetoon has a valid perspective and I know you are only playing around in the typical, jokey forameuss way, but I think he should have a right to voice his opinion without being mocked. His main point is just that he wouldn't pre-order a game with no information about it, which I think is totally fair. Of course you are mainly responding to his second point, where he says that the manner of the pre-order incentive is somehow immoral/anti-consumer, which I think we both disagree with.

I've made a point of praising the bonus, especially because it improves on last year's bonus, particularly in terms of the timings of the cut off and feature announcements. I don't see an unease with the bonus as being a criticism of SI, as they have put together a great deal for us. However I think it's clear at this point that it is loyalty that is selling the game right now rather than the quality/features of the game. How many more FM17s can this strategy sustain? I'm not sure it's very many. For me personally it's none, which is why I may not own FM18 as per my vote.

For me personally, given my very cynical side, last years bonus clearly implied that the new features in FM17 wouldn't really appeal to very many people. I believe, having played FM17 extensively, that it really is nothing more than FM16.5, and the major new features (Brexit, Social Media, Sports Scientist, etc) were quite underwhelming, to put it nicely.

This years bonus is even better, and so while I think it's sensible and respectful to praise SI and show them appreciation, I also think that a logical conclusion is that FM18 is going to be even more underwhelming in terms of new features than FM17. I sincerely hope I am wrong because I want the game purely for the trophy celebrations, but I think everyone should be prepared for FM16.5.2, rather than FM18.

Obviously we will just have to see how it unfolds, but I think unease is a very reasonable reaction, not because of what it says about SI and their intentions, but because of what it implies about the quality and progress of the game we are going to get - because of course the best reward for loyalty is a brilliant game.

I wish I had one of these T-Shirts. While a 25% discount is nice, it's no real incentive to me to pre-order at all until I can demo and see for myself if there's anything broken at release. Especially in a game like FM where issues tend to get noticeable after a fair amount of games, sometimes a season if not more. Like crosses in FM16. Or WM positioning in FM17, or HBs when paired with FBs, or player faces consistently changing, etc. The business practice of making pre-ordering available before we have any information on the game also puts me off. I don't feel FM has made significant progress those last few years to make me consider buying it every year either.

CGBwjlZUUAAXpas.png

On 17/08/2017 at 06:58, upthetoon said:

Taking your money, but you have no clue what are the features. Lol.

It's Football Manager, I think most people will know what the 'features' of the game are. 

Interestingly, I find the people who shout loudest about 'new features' are also the same type of people who complain about the game being 'bloated'. 

I shall be pre ordering no matter what within the next couple days. It doesn't bother me about waiting to see the features, if you have played fm, you should surely know what to expect by now, the main base and idea of the game doesn't change.

Its the only game I play and easily sink 600+ hours in each year, am still playing fm17, recently starting a new save with updated transfers and can't wait for the fm18 beta, already have the saves lined up that I will be doing for fm 18.

I'll likely push it right to the Steam discount deadline, and then pre-order. FM 17 has been the most worry-free edition I've played, I get thousands of hours of enjoyment out of it every year, and FM is my one "luxury buy" every year. 

• 1 month later...

It's just fashionable to be aloof regarding a new FM I think. Been the same since FM06 too.

It'll still have record sales, it's ratings will still be affected by the deluded. It'l still be a huge success.

Just gonna ignore all the keyboard naysayers.

For the first time since CM97-98, I pre-ordered it.

I really hope I won't come to regret it... So far, the preview videos have given me a positive vibe, so unless the ME is a trainwreck and/or the new features are broken, I'm quite happy with the Contract Extension.

And even in a worse case scenario, I'll try to get some mileage out of it while going back to my career in FM14

I only recently picked up 17 on sale for that £7 special offer they were doing.

So, I think I'll actually buy 18 sometime next season when it, too, is down to £7. :p I don't mind playing with an out of date database, and getting it late should ensure I get it when everything has been patched up and all the fancy new stuff has the teething problems ironed out. And seeing how 18 looks to have a lot of new stuff, there may be plenty of little things for them to fix over the year. I'm sorely tempted though, the feature announcements have been excellent this time around in my opinion.

Have been buying the game since 1992 and will continue to do so, even if the time i get to play has gotten lesser and lesser. As soon as news for the next installment comes out i find it impossible to play the current version, so the sooner the Beta is here the better!

On 8/17/2017 at 16:59, YKW said:

This years bonus is even better, and so while I think it's sensible and respectful to praise SI and show them appreciation, I also think that a logical conclusion is that FM18 is going to be even more underwhelming in terms of new features than FM17. I sincerely hope I am wrong because I want the game purely for the trophy celebrations, but I think everyone should be prepared for FM16.5.2, rather than FM18.

Seeing as this thread has been bumped I may as well quote myself and say that I think I was totally wrong here and my perspective on this has completely changed. In addition to this, contrary to how I voted in the poll, I will definitely be owning FM18. I would pre-order but I won't be playing until around Christmas, so there's no point.

I personally have really, really enjoyed this series of announcement videos for two main reasons. Firstly because the features that have been announced so far look very good and definitely look like having the potential to be much more than just 'small, incremental changes.' The tactical revamp may not include the significant changes to defensive positioning or pressing settings, etc, that have been quite widely requested by the tactical players, however I believe that what has been introduced is exactly what is needed in the short term, especially considering the most serious issue (imo) that too many people don't understand the TC. The heat maps showing vulnerable areas and having opposition scout reports show this information along with the oppositions likely roles are two relatively small changes that I think will have a huge impact. The fact that a separate new feature, Dynamics, can impact on which is the most suitable lineup (among other things,) is also a really good sign that all of these new features will have the depth to work together and lead to loads of new gameplay possibilities.

The second reason I have really enjoyed these announcement videos is simply because they represent a departure from what has become the norm. No more terrible, soundless video clips, no more needless outrage about squares instead of shirts, no more cracked windows in the Watford dugout, and an overall increased level of style, ambition and panache.  I can't be the only person to be a bit sad and shocked to see Miles' disappearance from the feature videos, and I think he would have benefited from this improved format also. However I think it has worked out alright and I really like the new guy. Overall I feel very positive about these new videos because they seem to show a real desire and intent to push things forward, rather than keeping things how they are "just because." I also have a renewed optimism that FM18 and subsequent releases will be more evidence of this. I have no idea what to make of the FM2018 chocolate bar that has appeared on FM's Instagram, but all I can say is that I hope it's been created with sustainable and organic sources of Tonton Zola Mo-Cocoa.

Personally I think the build up to this year's release has been masterfully directed, and I hope that everyone at SI agrees and feels very satisfied with their work so far. Last year can't have been very enjoyable in terms of feedback and reviews, but I really hope that FM18 ends up being what it appears it is going to be, and that you guys get what you deserve in terms of appreciation and recognition for your hard work.

Thanks a lot from me and I'm really looking forward to playing the game.

Archived