Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

I like the social feature. It does become the same 3/4 replies a lot which, as has been said, becomes repetitive. I would like the option to minimize the part on the right where you can add/search form things. I dont need to see that list all the time and would like to put it away like you can the pitch on the tactics screen.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm playing as Liverpool and doing very well, as expected...

My four best players are my defenders by quite a long way.. All four have a average ratings of around 7.3 - 7.6 and are consistently my best players every single game, I play 4-2-3-1 narrow with very basic tactics nothing fancy. Defenders are out rating players with 1 or 2 assists and goals. I was just wondering if anyone else have noticed high match ratings for defenders? Looking at the stats the central defenders are making 22 interceptions, seems quite high. I've only played just over half season, but surly other players should get higher ratings? Are defenders over rated?

I think the social media feed is an interesting idea but not quite up to scratch.  As an FMT player where obviously feedback and interaction is dumbed down the social media feed could be a real beneficial tool for me but it's currently stating bizarre comments such as how player A did fantastically on his debut when in fact he only played 5 minutes and hardly touched the ball. 

I'm seeing so many free kicks in the exact same spots every game. It's  always centrally just outside the box ( maybe a yard of 2 either side) which gets blazed over ( shoots every time , never a pass or chip in)

Or its one of those deep ones maybe 10 yards into a half but in a wide area for one of those long floaty crosses in. 

Loads of crosses hitting the front post or causing the keeper to dive to his post ( including a couple what's the unchallenged keeper dives in his goal and punches it in) .

The ME is capable of some really really great movement this year but it does seem to favour 433/4321/4321 sort of variations. I just dumped Leicester out of the Europa 7-2 on aggregate with a really poor Rangers side because they play 442 and my midfield had complete free reign to dictate the game. 

6 hours ago, Firehouse said:

Things to fix :

• free kicks in general, it just seems that there are too many, and far post crosses from them seem undefendable
  • crosses that end up in goal (or keeper saves them), also, not a problem if it happens once or twice during the season, but it just happens every other match. Rarely ending up as a goal tbf
  • Position of wingers. They just stay to far wide, no matter what
  • Strikers getting to deep. It may be due to a formation that I'm using, but Advanced forward really shouldn't be behind my AMR/L strata players during counters etc. He's not even slower than them
  • sometimes players have space and time to move further up the pitch towards the goal, and then shoot, but they seem to shoot too early.

Agree with all of these.

38 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

I'm seeing so many free kicks in the exact same spots every game. It's  always centrally just outside the box ( maybe a yard of 2 either side) which gets blazed over ( shoots every time , never a pass or chip in)

Or its one of those deep ones maybe 10 yards into a half but in a wide area for one of those long floaty crosses in. 

Loads of crosses hitting the front post or causing the keeper to dive to his post ( including a couple what's the unchallenged keeper dives in his goal and punches it in) .

The ME is capable of some really really great movement this year but it does seem to favour 433/4321/4321 sort of variations. I just dumped Leicester out of the Europa 7-2 on aggregate with a really poor Rangers side because they play 442 and my midfield had complete free reign to dictate the game. 

I tend to agree with you, especially on your observation over free-kicks, no matter who takes them. I am also finding that using various tactics, from my own tactics, assman's tactics and help from the community, it is leaving me with a frustrating experience.

I play as NUFC and we are tipped for promotion. I have tried a number of different saves with different tactics and struggle to get the team to perform anywhere near as good as there are in real life. Whilst I know that takes work and I am not exactly unfamiliar with using tactics (having bought every iteration of this series) it is proving to be the most frustrating experience to date.

Hopefully the update/patches we get will help to alleviate this feeling of inadequacy.

Still liking the game though, thick and thin and onward and upward.

I tried to organise a team meeting.  Was informed: "Team meeting cannnot take place during the off season." I have already played my first game of the new season in the Sky Bet Championship, is there an official start to the season?

Is this a coincidence or a bug of sorts but twice my game froze while playing and when i pressed the windows key or ctrl/alt/esc i could not leave the game and go back to desktop so i hit my restart button and upon loading up FM17 again steam had an update. Are these steam updates making my game freeze? strange though that it happened twice now during the week.

Are there any plans to give pitches patterns rather than a plain green surface? I read somewhere that it's because the pitch is down as grass/artificial combo but IRL these pitches still have patterns and in the game most top level pitches are combos so it makes for a very samey experience.

BTW Forgot to mention that as in FM16 I really feel players get too irritated too quickly.  I have played 5 League games and a handful of European Fixtures and already have players who have played 5, 4 and 3 games having a moan that they aren't playing enough and we haven't hit November yet. 

6 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Are there any plans to give pitches patterns rather than a plain green surface? I read somewhere that it's because the pitch is down as grass/artificial combo but IRL these pitches still have patterns and in the game most top level pitches are combos so it makes for a very samey experience.

That annoys me somewhat too.

8 hours ago, Firehouse said:

Things to fix :

• free kicks in general, it just seems that there are too many, and far post crosses from them seem undefendable
  • crosses that end up in goal (or keeper saves them), also, not a problem if it happens once or twice during the season, but it just happens every other match. Rarely ending up as a goal tbf
  • Position of wingers. They just stay to far wide, no matter what
  • Strikers getting to deep. It may be due to a formation that I'm using, but Advanced forward really shouldn't be behind my AMR/L strata players during counters etc. He's not even slower than them
  • sometimes players have space and time to move further up the pitch towards the goal, and then shoot, but they seem to shoot too early.

Totally agree. I hope devs take in count your feedback.

Also wingbacks are too bad on defense.

I think the game is great like FM16, but i think the average ratings, especially for the strikers has become lower and it´s very hard to get a good price for the players you´re selling, that is just my experience so far....

Do not like this game. It is the same as FM 2016. It looks like you have reskined the old game and put the 2017 number on and sold it to us again.

I am very disapointed in this game. And will not be paying £30 for a game thats no different to the one I bought last year.

There could have atleast have changed how it looked or give us the old way of doing tactics or something. But it's not. They have given us a renumbered FM 2016. Over 18 years of playing this sorts of games. This day in age to recieve a game of such poor quality is poor at best. Don't think I'll ever buy this game again, especially if they are gonna keep releasing copies of the old game to pass a year.

I have I think, given upon the game for the time being. The tactics, yes them,  not matter what set up I use or variation, just do not respond. I have experimented with different career saves to see if that would alleviate the plight I find myself in, alas it does not. I posted in here re my NUFC in the Championship and they are playing like a team looking to be relegated as opposed to promoted. I use the players favoured positions, sometimes listen to the assman, not very often, try and use the TI's sparingly but nada. I have been playing FM long enough to understand the tactics to a fairly good level but this is just sucking the joy out of the game.

rant over.

40 minutes ago, hubx said:

Question: How to easily manage and cancel the competitions etc that i want to follow and not ??

b0022af3ea23b2e7550d11a16fb91dcc.png

Click the globe - navigate and left-click on the item (world - continent -country - competition - team - player) you want to follow. Then you right-click. A quick way of following different stuff.

b03f75ffed9ff7c4d0df6b40fa98a62c.png              1be42cb394f3684efbfeaa7564eab953.png             c8a87d90ae09a5966dc60c503ed25bff.png

Easiest way to unfollow is to go to the social feed - click manage - cycle through what you're following and either remove items one by one or click remove all.

Transfer Bug? - if so i'll raise it.

Am Man United and 10th June 2018 Aymeric Laporte transfer listed for 0, and bid was accepted.

He is unhappy and wants to leave to play champ league, hes down as key player and their finances are rich but no way Bilboa would give him away for free.

Is there any way you can just select some fringe players to play a one-off U23 game, instead of either selecting them as 'ongoing' or 'until fit' availability? It's handy to set them as available until match fit, but sometimes the U23's game is very close to a first team game, and then it becomes a bit counter productive as the players are too tired from the U23's game if you decide you want them for the first team.

It just means that instead of the 'availability for the U23's game' screen being the convenient feature it should be, I find myself wasting as much time selecting and deselecting players' availabilities as I would if the screen weren't there at all.

1 hour ago, moyesout said:

Transfer Bug? - if so i'll raise it.

Am Man United and 10th June 2018 Aymeric Laporte transfer listed for 0, and bid was accepted.

He is unhappy and wants to leave to play champ league, hes down as key player and their finances are rich but no way Bilboa would give him away for free.

It's unique situation here if I recall correctly, as Laporte is Basque and and Athletic only play Basque players, so there is good argument for hanging onto him till his contract runs down as the money means less since they need to replace him with a basque player. worth flagging though 

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

It's unique situation here if I recall correctly, as Laporte is Basque and and Athletic only play Basque players, so there is good argument for hanging onto him till his contract runs down as the money means less since they need to replace him with a basque player. worth flagging though 

cheers, I'll post it in the bugs forum for one the dev's to take a look and make their call.

I've had the game since the BETA and I have to admit to only playing as Man Utd so far but the ME is absolutely fantastic imo. Granted it's probably not as nice to watch in the lower leagues but compared to FM2016 which was a poor game for me, this was is so good. Players seem actually to do what you ask of them!! Defending is better, attacking seems more intelligent. I'm seeing more clever football it seems. Ok you still have plenty of goals from crosses but I'm seeing more through balls and balls cut back from the byline.

Overall I'm more than satisfied with this version although I've not hit brexit yet!! One slight issue I am having is every now and then in the games I get a pitch with the most random brown patches on it? Not like mud but some of them are pictures and funny shapes?

Great game though SI, best for a few years.

6 hours ago, RobertPage said:

Not sure whether it's a bug or if there's a reason i am missing, but the fixtures here have confused me a bit here. Why is there two games in 3 days and then 2 weekends with no games?

20161110225407_1.jpg

The Saturday/Monday games are Easter games, which will happen every year in the English leagues. Not too sure about the blank Saturdays though, unlikely that games are re-arranged for cups that late in the season for League 1 teams.

2 hours ago, Harpoon76 said:

I've been generally impressed with FM17 but then you get some utter silliness like this to lose a game 1-0

No wonder people rage quit.

A good player still laughs it off as firstly it will happen on both sides, and secondly, it will never affect his long-term performance. Any genuinelly bug isn't going to affect it (not sure this is, what's iffy is that the forward seems to anticipate and close the space before the ball is even dropped) . It's only if you depend on luck always or mostly going your way that this should make you rage quit. Bad luck / good fortunes aren't repeatable, bad system always does repeat (and no this isn't tactics, which is missing the point). I don't understand the uploading of such random anecdotical occurances, if you think it happens too often provide a genuine report as it may help to make a better manager game for you (and for me! ). And yeah, there's always howlers in there.

This is not a defensive, and I know that people will interpret it that way (despite me posting nothing but criticism in a sense in here so far), but considering what crap happens in football on the highest level on any given weekend, the game were much poorer if none of this were in the game and players were robots who would firstly follow orders and secondly play an artificially computerized version of football where **** never happens. Keepers in general should be looked at and assessed by actually pro contacts SI have. But as a matter of fact, whilst this is a terrible clichè if you were one of the England managers in any of the more recent major tournaments, even the qualifiers, you would have reported this as a bug as the keeper stuff that was shown there time and time again you wouldn't believe to be true. I think this is important as going by several autobiographies of top level keepers, even top level punditry assess keeper performances and behavior in completely off ways, because naturally most people have never been a keeper (they're in a huge very natural minority all caused by  the naturally laws of the game), let alone one on a level of football to write about. Hire Neuer who certainly isn't without his antics to assess how a keeper should do, and get in Calamity James for all the other stuff that also needs to be in there from time to time, or else it wouldn't be much footie. :-P

yeah, that highlight looks like the sort of pure concentration error that many goalkeepers actually do make once in their career. If it's once every couple of months (with Sweeper Keeper?) it needs looking at.

We should be more concerned about rare errors they seem to make quite regularly, like carrying crosses that are going comfortably wide out of play for a corner, or the FM16 trait of not coming for crosses outside their six yard box even if they were floaty enough for a winger to make a twenty yard diagonal run to get on the end of it.

After spending a few days with the demo and 3 days with the full game I think this is the best title in the series. I really didnt like FM15 and didnt think FM16 improved many things in many ways, but FM17 has got so much right and its good to see.

Does it have issues, of course, some are niggles that have been mentioned numerous times in this thread. Things like training really does need a revamp. I personally still find the game a bit easy, to easy to mange injuries and mange morale and thus a bit to easy to keep winning sides winning titles, which in my opinion should be the hardest thing in the game to do. I would also like the option to hide all player attributes or at least mask them more until they join my team. Hopefully they flesh out the social media more and dont stagnate on it like they have with press conferences. Its been a good 6 years of Michael Carrick getting called the weakest link...

Despite that, after 2 years of being pretty nonplussed its great to be looking forward to playing again.

First time I didn't think too much of it, but now it has happened a few times and I think it is worth mentioning. It's in regards to making substitutions during a match: it seams that the match clock accelerates and skips highlights and goals. Typically I make substitutions around the 60th minute, a quick move placing your man on the bench with player on the pitch and click back then you are all of a sudden somewhere in the 80th minute and a goal has been scored...

I really think most of the "usual flamers" - if you want to call that guys that post feedback about their negative issues with the game, stopped even caring for this game after so many bad experiences with FM 13,14,15,16, like myself.

4 minutes ago, Alexivan said:

I really think most of the "usual flamers" - if you want to call that guys that post feedback about their negative issues with the game, stopped even caring for this game after so many bad experiences with FM 13,14,15,16, like myself.

Not meaning to be rude, but why are you posting here if you've stopped caring for the game?

Sales figures would suggest the numbers of people like yourself are not overly numerous.

4 minutes ago, Alexivan said:

True. But it's too early yet, Wait a couple of weeks, I can already see the new crossing thing going on, like wingers defending issue, crazy scorelines, GK.. 

24 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

FM cannot even replicate Derry City being in Northern Ireland while playing in the ROI league. How on earth will it replicate something that hasn't happened yet?

What about it isn't replicated? The only issue I have with my current Derry City save is that more regens need to have dual Northern Irish/Republic of Ireland eligibility, apart from that everything is as it should be as far as I can see, and it's been the same for quite a few years.

20 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

What about it isn't replicated? The only issue I have with my current Derry City save is that more regens need to have dual Northern Irish/Republic of Ireland eligibility, apart from that everything is as it should be as far as I can see, and it's been the same for quite a few years.

The game does not recognise teams that play in one league yet are from another Nation so the likes of Berwick Rangers, AIrbus UK, TNS &  Derry City cannot scout teams that are based in the same country. So how's it gonna replicate Derry City being out of the EU while playing in a league within it before it's even been implicated? At least with FC Vaduz we know what the situation is so the game can replicate it.

2 hours ago, johnhughthom said:

Not meaning to be rude, but why are you posting here if you've stopped caring for the game?

Sales figures would suggest the numbers of people like yourself are not overly numerous.

Because while most people are very good at offering constructive feedback, a few just want to have a pointless moan. Since they aren't being constructive, they are often quickly moved on.

4 hours ago, Loversleaper said:

First time I didn't think too much of it, but now it has happened a few times and I think it is worth mentioning. It's in regards to making substitutions during a match: it seams that the match clock accelerates and skips highlights and goals. Typically I make substitutions around the 60th minute, a quick move placing your man on the bench with player on the pitch and click back then you are all of a sudden somewhere in the 80th minute and a goal has been scored...

Do you not pause the game when making tactical changes?

42 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

The game does not recognise teams that play in one league yet are from another Nation so the likes of Berwick Rangers, AIrbus UK, TNS &  Derry City cannot scout teams that are based in the same country. So how's it gonna replicate Derry City being out of the EU while playing in a league within it before it's even been implicated? At least with FC Vaduz we know what the situation is so the game can replicate it.

As Derry, I can scout any teams in the UK and Ireland, so can't really test that, I guess it may be an issue for the part time clubs with restricted scouting range.

6 hours ago, johnhughthom said:

As Derry, I can scout any teams in the UK and Ireland, so can't really test that, I guess it may be an issue for the part time clubs with restricted scouting range.

That's due to their range being larger. Northern Irish Club's cannot scout Derry,  Welsh Premier league teams based in Wrexham cannot scout Wrexham due to being ''out of range'' if FM cannot identify this how on earth can it implement an unknown Brexit that will not happen before FM 2017'S final update? How on earth will it correctly represent Derry City who may have separate employment laws than ROI based clubs. IT's  a pointless addition.

9 hours ago, JR866Gunner said:

Windows 10 here 64 bit. Initial  launch of FM17 takes an age! anyone else getting this? Steam icon appears after clicking the FM shortcut and it takes so long to load FM!!!

That is not normal and  would suggest that there is something else conflicting with the game- check your antivirus to start with

One app that can causes problems is Chrome, if you running it in the background with different tabs open for days. Chrome does increase the use of RAM and when you don't close it from time to time it will eats more and more. 

Not sure if a bug or not, but when I load a new game and decided to change my Manager face and create or edit a new profile, when I generate the new 3d model, it doesnt show up in the game and I am left with the standard generic look. WHY? So frustrating. Tried clearing the cache with no luck. Also deleted all my profiles (had 5) so i was left with just 1, and still doesnt work. Grrrrr

1 hour ago, Preveza said:

Not sure if a bug or not, but when I load a new game and decided to change my Manager face and create or edit a new profile, when I generate the new 3d model, it doesnt show up in the game and I am left with the standard generic look. WHY? So frustrating. Tried clearing the cache with no luck. Also deleted all my profiles (had 5) so i was left with just 1, and still doesnt work. Grrrrr

Perhaps you have a ''Generic Standard look'' but not aware of it?

2 hours ago, KUBI said:

One app that can causes problems is Chrome, if you running it in the background with different tabs open for days. Chrome does increase the use of RAM and when you don't close it from time to time it will eats more and more. 

Hmm i have firefox but never run anything else at the same time. 

Archived