Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

10 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

i've alredy said it but maybe i wasn't clear enough. 90% of teams, from 90's onward, defend in their own half the same way. short and narrow. that is fundamental principle of defending in football. some teams will be more inclined to press high up field. They might want to force the opposition into long clearances, they might want to force the play down either flank or center of the pitch as they get pressing trap there, or they might target particular player in opposition defensive line for pressing. whatever it is, once this pressing doesn't work, they will fall back into defensive shape (banks of four i.e.)   90% of time trying to be narrow and short. i'd like to see other schools of thought that are more often used than this. 

you are saying "movement is shaped by attack, defence, transition, it is not static", yet you say you don't play two positions? Indeed movement in attack is very fluid, often left for player's creativity. Guardiola says "my job is to get you to the final third and there you do your magic". However, defending is everything opposite. It has no room for creativity and very little for fluidity within formation. The principle (another), is: if one player gets "fluid" goes for press thus leaves the line, the rest of the line shrinks behind him to narrow the gap the above said player has left. 

pass map is usefull tool to recognize attacking or simply on the ball movement, it has nothing to do with defensive shape of the team. Even position map won't tell you much if you don't look the match in its different phases. 

sorry for misinterpreting the topic being pushed off.

Sorry - definitely on the vibe of a feature request now but to tie in with what you are saying... pressing style is one of the most talked about topics when a new manager takes over a club. Some teams allow the opposition to play out from the back and will only press in the defensive third, others (Liverpool under Rodgers) will wait for the ball to come to the half way line then press extremely quickly ... and others will press very high in the opponents final third to prevent them playing out.

it would be great if the tactic creator allowed us to select zonally how we like to press. At the moment it ties in too closely to the defensive line. You can have high line and press much more.. but I don't want to press their defence, I just want to press them when they get to the half way line. Don't think I can specifically tell my team to do this.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Sorry - definitely on the vibe of a feature request now but to tie in with what you are saying... pressing style is one of the most talked about topics when a new manager takes over a club. Some teams allow the opposition to play out from the back and will only press in the defensive third, others (Liverpool under Rodgers) will wait for the ball to come to the half way line then press extremely quickly ... and others will press very high in the opponents final third to prevent them playing out.

it would be great if the tactic creator allowed us to select zonally how we like to press. At the moment it ties in too closely to the defensive line. You can have high line and press much more.. but I don't want to press their defence, I just want to press them when they get to the half way line. Don't think I can specifically tell my team to do this.

pressing is fundamental for how team works off the ball, i.e. how it defends. the whole defending in the game is wrong atm and it all starts from this overall formation that is currently imposed as mother of all shapes. it can be altered but it is set up on the wrong premise from the start. clearly seen by player position discrepancy. 

indeed, the pressing should be tied to zones and the defensive shape should kick in depending on pressing zone cut off point. with the ability to set up defensive roles and positions together with attacking roles and positions for each player. a tool that would allow this would make the ME jump miles ahead as it did when FM ditched the sliders. if you wonder why the PI's are so much better, the answer is that it is much more how football works in real life.

allowing defensive and attacking shapes with implementation of defensive principles and proper pressing would make the similar jump forward for ME simply as it would be much closer to how football works in real. 

this has now really went to feature request territory so i guess i should stop here.

Both PES and FIFA have what MBarbaric is talking about, in pes you can do it with fluid formations and in fifa you can do it via player instruction.

SO I can't see why FM should not have one? those arguing are they against it or what? I will really want to see on the ball and off the ball movements really or generally attacking/defensive shape, without having to change the tactics.

25 minutes ago, Wells said:

Both PES and FIFA have what MBarbaric is talking about, in pes you can do it with fluid formations and in fifa you can do it via player instruction.

SO I can't see why FM should not have one? those arguing are they against it or what? I will really want to see on the ball and off the ball movements really or generally attacking/defensive shape, without having to change the tactics.

to be honest, no FIFA nor PES, or any other game, represents defending/pressing or football in general, really well. I have no knowledge of programming so I don't know how these concepts should be implemented. However, defending in football has strict set of rules and principles that are really logical and, i think, much easier to implement into a software than proper attacking movement which is less predictable, infinitively more creative and fluid than defending,

despite that, FM represents attacking reasonably well at moment. However, i wonder how much is it due to poor defending and how the attacking side of the ME would be influenced if proper defending was really implemented. 

Just a quick question. Is there any way of selecting numerous players at once on the main youth intake page (the one via the world tab) so I can scout a load at once. As it stands you have to click each one individually which will take an age to do when all the regens come through.

• SI Staff
5 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Just a quick question. Is there any way of selecting numerous players at once on the main youth intake page (the one via the world tab) so I can scout a load at once. As it stands you have to click each one individually which will take an age to do when all the regens come through.

SHIFT + Left Click or CTRL + Left Click should work for selecting multiple players at once from a list.

8 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

SHIFT + Left Click or CTRL + Left Click should work for selecting multiple players at once from a list.

Doesn't work on the youth intake page. In my squad for example you can click and drag on the left hand side and select as many as you want. Very odd.

Ah. If you press shift and then click the ones at the bottom it will select all. Still slower than simply clicking and dragging but will do.

Three matches in a row now I've conceded to a free kick from the edge of the area with no highlights showing me how it came to be. I play on comprehensive highlights and I expect to see the lead up to chances like these. If I am shown every single pointless offside, there is no reason not to show me how I concede a dangerous free kick. With stuff like this going on it's easy to see why people claim the game is fixed, and SI seem to make a rod for their own back with their decisions sometimes.

1 minute ago, Welshace said:

The correct version is 17.1.2   

If it says that in the top left on the main menu..... good to go..

If it says differently, please post with details in the bug and error reporting section so it can be looked into.

As for me, it says exactly that, I have just noted that last night's version number was the same, and the game has been updated tonight once I have started it, and the version is still the same

5 hours ago, buddiemirren said:

Cheers for answering Cougar, I think your answer about player position on the field must be it but I just dont know but I kinda' want to know. I have the same weird fixation every year with trying to produce the ultimate possession tactic and knowing how its calculated would help I think.

hull.pnghull2.pnghull3.png

Using the above game as an example;

I have the 4 defenders + sub as 314 passing attempts(PA) and 288 passes completed(PC) = 91.7% the game says passes defence = 89%,

I have the 3 midfielders as 454 PA and 434 PC = 95.6% the games says passes midfield =95% and

i have the 3 attackers + 2 subs as 96PA and 92 PC =95.7% the game gives passes attack = 94%

giving overall possesions of 95.6 and 94.6 comaped to 94% which is obviously a results of rounding up or down.

I'd say it was pretty clear from those that my defenders are making less completions the further up the pitch they go. Which on reflection makes sense and reinforces your idea that the pitch is split into 3 zones for the calculation I didnt know that before, so cheers once again.

***  Actually got that back to front, they make more completed passes the further up the pitch they go which seems a bit counter intuitive

Loving MBarbaric's points but ANYONE from S.I. going to answer my point why the values given in the game dont actually add up??

I don't want to waste time and space here by repeating myself, but I assure you that it has been an update (I have closed the update window and am playing the game since then). What is even more interesting is that I am not experiencing some of the crashes I have been experiencing for the last couple of days, so, from my point, update or not, it's helpful and well appreciated :)

Re: Defending. One question and one question only. Is this intentional -- or is this being looked at. It's a computerized version of football which in some cases inevitably compares well, in other inevitably less so. You can play in text mode all the way you want, this would be happening second by second in your matches likewise, so may be worth thinking of that the next time you are pushed around by opposition two tiers below (such in the case of this video).

Similar to this. Is this intentional that due to the reworked wide midfielders now any opposition can now have multiple players flooding the centre of the pitch being unmarked and unchallenged,  controlling the central space with ease, and formations slight on men in the that centre being easily overloaded due to wide midfielders now oftenly sticking out wide for sticking out wide (even if the opposition full back doesn't advance).

rGbBvYE.jpg
83fa2948fff965a19eaf31de27d21752.jpg

Likewise is it a coincidence (it may be) that when my ass man sticks to a 4-4-2 deep (2 central midfielders outmanned against anything in the league conceding the space on top of it), he would underperform hugely with any team I let him take over. I know that I am not going to use these formations as of FM 2017, as I know how I can be all over the place against AI employing it (Leicester, say). However I'm merely asking whether that is intentionally, or whether it is not. The entire defensive shape talk and customization of AMR/AML and research stuff, this is all about customization. But this would affect every single team, no matter if AI or your own.

2 minutes ago, Svenc said:

rGbBvYE.jpg

I haven't said much about the defending and thats maybe because I tend to adapt to what I see and use whats available but.

In general there are two ways of defending in that situation.

A) Is the way we've had in past FM versions where the wide player would tuck in to match the four in the opposition centre leaving the fullback to pick up the opposition fullback if he comes forwards.  Generally though we've seen in the past that this leaves too much of a gap in the channels and leaves the fullback isolated.

B) To improve that SI coded the fullbacks to tuck in more protecting the channels but this means that the wide player then needs to pick up the opposition fullback which gives us the system we have now. 

Several users aren't happy with B because the wide player doesn't tuck in to give two compact lines of four but the only other alternative is:

C) This is where those users get what they want, both fullbacks & wide players tuck in but this leaves enough space down the wings to drive a 30 tonne truck through and gives us the situation we had in FM16 where many users thought crossing was OP.

If you aren't lining up man for man there are always going to be areas where there is a mis-match.

In your example above Sven if I was managing the team in white I would much rather the wingers picked up the opposition fullbacks than my fullbacks (pretty much like your example).  The white 11 is a little wider than I would envisage but I'll chalk it up to being just being down to the moment you took the pic.  IMO the white 7 is in almost an ideal position, he has one eye on the red 2 and the other on the red 6.  Occasionally he may come inside and challenge the red 6 but generally I would want him holding his ground, tracking the movement of the red 2, trying to block off an easy ball out wide and going with the red 2 if he makes a run into the final third.

How you deal with the middle is a different story and it also falls into two main categories IMO:

A) You press which means either the wide player or the fullback has to engage the red 6 leaving the other to track the red 2.  This way gets messy, causes confusion, can open space and lead to a shot but thats what good attacking play is.  The attacking side would simply be doing what we tell users to do which is drag the defence out of shape.

B) This way you play more defensive and hold the shape.  Your two MCs are initially overran as they attempt to use a slide defence shifting to engage the player on the ball but thats a choice you make.  With the backline holding its line the attacking side have to eventually make a forward run or pass into the final third.  When that happens you have four narrow defenders who need to communicate and pick up a man each as the runs are made with the fullbacks picking up the outside runs and the DCs the inside ones.

1 hour ago, Boyshane said:

I don't want to waste time and space here by repeating myself, but I assure you that it has been an update (I have closed the update window and am playing the game since then). What is even more interesting is that I am not experiencing some of the crashes I have been experiencing for the last couple of days, so, from my point, update or not, it's helpful and well appreciated :)

Looking at my Steam account, I had a 1.2kb update. What could such a tiny update do?

6 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I would raise that game John. I agree, that missing 4 golden chances should impact ratings somewhat. That said he sounds exactly like Edison Cavani.

Not meaning to come across as rude here, but I spent time and effort last year making a thread and uploading saves regarding goalkeeper match ratings. I was told the issue was under review. Nothing has changed in FM 17, the game has absolutely no idea what constitutes a good goalkeeping performance. Why would I waste my time again?

29 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

Not meaning to come across as rude here, but I spent time and effort last year making a thread and uploading saves regarding goalkeeper match ratings. I was told the issue was under review. Nothing has changed in FM 17, the game has absolutely no idea what constitutes a good goalkeeping performance. Why would I waste my time again?

It's your choice, if you see it as wasting time, then don't upload, but then I'd argue if it's wasting time, why leave feedback at all?

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's your choice, if you see it as wasting time, then don't upload, but then I'd argue if it's wasting time, why leave feedback at all?

Because coming in here for a quick moan doesn't take much time. :D

TBF, I'm just grumpy because my team is in a horrible run of form. I do feel that player ratings have been neglected though, and I'll probably get around to uploading some stuff when/if I start winning again. And I do acknowledge it's a tough one to get right, but there are far too many examples where the discrepancy is simply too large.

11 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

Because coming in here for a quick moan doesn't take much time. :D

TBF, I'm just grumpy because my team is in a horrible run of form. I do feel that player ratings have been neglected though, and I'll probably get around to uploading some stuff when/if I start winning again. And I do acknowledge it's a tough one to get right, but there are far too many examples where the discrepancy is simply too large.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustrations, but not everything gets dealt with in a season, just gotta keep plugging away (I've been waiting 3 years for a personal bugbear that I consider pretty fundamental, to be dealt with, but they don't always have the same ideas or priorities as us)

Ok so following on from my post up above regarding wide players defending I've took a few screenshots from my next match.

This is my formation, as you can see it has two wide attacking wingers in a fairly bog standard 442:

Defence%20Formation.png

In the match I'm playing an opponent who is using a 433 formation with three MCs & three STs.

In the first pic below you can see the fullbacks have tucked in to help the two DCs with the three oppositions STs.  You can also see that my MR has come infield to engage the opposition MCL making it 3v3 in the middle of the pitch while my ML holds his position wider keeping an eye on the opposition DR.  If the ball comes out to my right the MR will follow it tracking wider while the ML will move infield to keep the 3v3 in the middle.

Defence%201.png

The second pic (below) is at an earlier point of an opposition attack.  You can see that the opposition strikers are wider while my DR has moved infield to pick up the opposition STL, the two DCs have the STC inbetween them while my DL moved forward with the STR who has dropped off.  My ML is holding position marking the opposition DR while my MR has again moved infield to engage the opposition MCL who is about to receive the ball.

Defence%202.png

The final pic shows how narrow the wide players can be with sensible instructions.

Defence%203.png

Just for clarity I'll also state that there were no relevant TIs, PIs or OIs used to achieve that narrow shape beyond selecting a team mentality & team shape.  Lonn Jenssen playing at MR is a natural WBR, accomplished DR & MR while Chaib at ML is much more attacking (natural AMR, accomplished ML & AML).

So comfortably won the first leg in the Champions League semi final away from home 5-0. Before the second leg, my own fans on the social feed saying we are an awful team.. We just won the league the week prior! :lol:

As much as I think having the social feed was a good idea, it surely is totally barmy - bit like social media it self you may argue..but it really is such weird state of affairs currently and seems a rather annoying feature.

6 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Ok so following on from my post up above regarding wide players defending I've took a few screenshots from my next match.

This is my formation, as you can see it has two wide attacking wingers in a fairly bog standard 442:

In the match I'm playing an opponent who is using a 433 formation with three MCs & three STs.

In the first pic below you can see the fullbacks have tucked in to help the two DCs with the three oppositions STs.  You can also see that my MR has come infield to engage the opposition MCL making it 3v3 in the middle of the pitch while my ML holds his position wider keeping an eye on the opposition DR.  If the ball comes out to my right the MR will follow it tracking wider while the ML will move infield to keep the 3v3 in the middle.

The second pic (below) is at an earlier point of an opposition attack.  You can see that the opposition strikers are wider while my DR has moved infield to pick up the opposition STL, the two DCs have the STC inbetween them while my DL moved forward with the STR who has dropped off.  My ML is holding position marking the opposition DR while my MR has again moved infield to engage the opposition MCL who is about to receive the ball.

The final pic shows how narrow the wide players can be with sensible instructions.

Just for clarity I'll also state that there were no relevant TIs, PIs or OIs used to achieve that narrow shape beyond selecting a team mentality & team shape.  Lonn Jenssen playing at MR is a natural WBR, accomplished DR & MR while Chaib at ML is much more attacking (natural AMR, accomplished ML & AML).

This is a one off instance and happens may be once or twice out of 100 occurrences. I can post screenshots of same mentality, structure, instructions with better players completely out of shape. Could you please post screenshots of your 2 banks of four at any point in a match with possession in middle third in proper vertical and horizontal straight lines like a bog standard 4-4-2 should?

8 hours ago, buddiemirren said:

Loving MBarbaric's points but ANYONE from S.I. going to answer my point why the values given in the game dont actually add up??

If you think you've found a bug, please report it in the bugs forum.

7 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

What formations were you up against in that & the previus match?  

To me it apears to be that the opponents are using a narrow system that only uses fullbacks out wide which if that is the case could explain the positioning making of your ML & MR, would be interesting to see them up against a formatons that has two players on each flank to compare their posititioning when the ball is in the middle or on oppositie flank.

12 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Several users aren't happy with B because the wide player doesn't tuck in to give two compact lines of four but the only other alternative is:

C) This is where those users get what they want, both fullbacks & wide players tuck in but this leaves enough space down the wings to drive a 30 tonne truck through and gives us the situation we had in FM16 where many users thought crossing was OP.

There are times when the wide guys do come inside, in this case likely fueled by the central three forwards as that needs an additional full back to shift inside to mark them, though I question that is down to any sensible instructions you picked, if it isn't man to man marking outright, and if which, what they may be. If there is combinations, it should be picked by the AI, too. Anything relating to width etc. has always been mainly "on the ball" instructions. This would affect the defensive side of things mainly insofar as when the ball is dropped, it took longer for players to narrow their position to their defensive again. Whatever happened defensively here was largely based on what the opposition were doing, be it their attacking width, their formation, their everything. Which is why wide guys shifting out wide for prolonged periods even when the opposition full backs don't even advance and it is the central areas that are overloaded now looks that comically (see above). Every time that doesn't happen is the exception rather than the rule from my experience so far, which is why I'm not convinced whether literally all of it is intentional, or whether there is combinations where it isn't. And the above entire sequence, which would transpire throughought the entire match, would certainly be one such. This is AI vs AI, by the way. Is this intentional or isn't it. This is wide players sitting out wide basically doing nothing, anticipating possible forward runs by opposition that never comes, whilst it is central areas being overloaded, and central midfielders absolutely hapless to cope with it.

I'm actually happy with it every time I come up against an AI playing a slight midfield duo, as the only thing you need to do often to be all over them is packing the centre of the pitch. An alternative would be to make the entire midfield defending as a unit, rather than breaking the thing in apparently units of arguable three to four, with the wide guys apparently now hard coded to look to provide support for the backs even if the flanks aren't even overloaded sometimes, the central midfielders being another seperate unit, and the forwards sitting in front of them either way most of the time.

OXbVRhv.jpg

In real football the wide spaces as argued here may not be an issue because the midfield, as a unit, would shift quickly over. 

That is hard to code, but on occasion this seems a really awkward workaround. Look at the video I provided. This is League Two opposition winning and outplaying against a Top flight team, with the top flight team, or rather their hapless central midfielders being chased all over the pitch simply because of both manager's pick in formations.

It is not that ofently that I question SI's match coding. I admire what they are doing, it's one of the first things that attracted me to the game full-stop. If there's one guy in the universe I would pay to take a look over the shoulder whilst working, it is Paul Collyer. The last time it happened on FM 2015's initial attacking player duty overhauls, but to me this is much more severe than any open gaps out wide would be, as this is central space being affected, which lets any opposition completely be in control over the pitch simply because of pick in formation. Additionally it is the shortest distance to goalside being affected, rather than the wide spaces. Two central midfielders are massively weak in this one, and cause the centre backs to be additionally all over the shop as soon as they are (easily) overloaded.

15 hours ago, johnhughthom said:

Three matches in a row now I've conceded to a free kick from the edge of the area with no highlights showing me how it came to be. I play on comprehensive highlights and I expect to see the lead up to chances like these. If I am shown every single pointless offside, there is no reason not to show me how I concede a dangerous free kick. With stuff like this going on it's easy to see why people claim the game is fixed, and SI seem to make a rod for their own back with their decisions sometimes.

I would have agreed with this until the unnecessary final sentence. It would be nice to see how a free kick outside the box has occurred at the start of the highlight, however using either the timeline at the bottom or the rewind button at the top, you can go to any point in the match anyway and see for yourself. 

13 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I would have agreed with this until the unnecessary final sentence. It would be nice to see how a free kick outside the box has occurred at the start of the highlight, however using either the timeline at the bottom or the rewind button at the top, you can go to any point in the match anyway and see for yourself. 

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting the game is fixed, just that sometimes SI don't seem to realise that the game can give that perception on occasion.

This particular line of thought can go back and forth all day... the 'wingers too wide' already under review, 'bad defender decisions' already under review, 'GKs making ridiculous mistakes' is under review.

After the January update when defenders and goalkeepers are perfect players, we will all be showing pictures of how attacking teams play in real life and moaning that the ME doesn't replicate good attacks!

This ME is better than the previous so on the whole it's good. I just think we should have;

1) More PI/TI options

2) A tactic creator split into Defensive formation and attacking formation

3) Zonal instructions i.e. pressing style in each third of the pitch (we may want to press only around the half way line but not in either area), Passing style (we may want defenders to play long but attackers to play short) *and not have to set PIs on every single player which counteract the TIs

This is the typical AI defensive shape in a 442

83fa2948fff965a19eaf31de27d21752.jpg

I wouldn't go into arguments about what we as players can do to make our own teams set up differently. What this is is a shape that is unprecedented in real football. The obvious shortcomings being the two strikers not participating in the defensive phase as well as the wingers out wide marking thin air.

There is a screenshot in this very thread a couple of pages back that shows Leicester City setting up in the exact same way defensively so it's not like it's restricted to lower level play (my example is from the conference national). I would really like to hear what arguments there would be in support of this being an acceptable defensive shape.

8 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Not that I'm saying it's correct at all, but look at the fullback positioning of the team in yellow. That's a possible reason for the wide defensive positions - to cover marauding fullbacks.

there is really no reasonable explanation to such poor positioning on defence. if it was one off, or one of two wingers, it could be down to a player. however, there are examples that suggest this being a default positioning probably as a workaround of last years full backs.

I've read a few comments on how home advantage is overpowered this version. I wish I was seeing the same thing...

20161117135725_1_zpszfoqw1br.jpg

20161117135717_1_zpse0uyemjq.jpg

I'm meeting expectations, so job is secure at the minute, but I wonder if I should be under pressure. The fans are paying to watch us play absolute gash at home, 6 goals in eleven home games is woeful.

1 hour ago, johnhughthom said:

I've read a few comments on how home advantage is overpowered this version. I wish I was seeing the same thing...

20161117135725_1_zpszfoqw1br.jpg

20161117135717_1_zpse0uyemjq.jpg

I'm meeting expectations, so job is secure at the minute, but I wonder if I should be under pressure. The fans are paying to watch us play absolute gash at home, 6 goals in eleven home games is woeful.

How is your away record so much better? :D

I'm the complete opposite. Scoring for fun at home, terrible away.

Just now, martplfc1 said:

How is your away record so much better? :D

I'm the complete opposite. Scoring for fun at home, terrible away.

Even though I'm not one of the favourites for the title, everyone comes to my place and just plays on the break. We can't break them down and they put away their one chance. We have far and away the highest possession and pass completion stats in the division, so I wonder if that makes the opposition sit back.

Away, teams actually come out and play against me, giving me the chance to exploit the space.

I think it's going to be a case of finish the season, then totally rethink how I play, the stats of some of the games have been absolutely farcical.

2 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

Even though I'm not one of the favourites for the title, everyone comes to my place and just plays on the break. We can't break them down and they put away their one chance. We have far and away the highest possession and pass completion stats in the division, so I wonder if that makes the opposition sit back.

Away, teams actually come out and play against me, giving me the chance to exploit the space.

I think it's going to be a case of finish the season, then totally rethink how I play, the stats of some of the games have been absolutely farcical.

I've not been losing such games but I definitely play a faster game at home, round, through or over their lines 

13 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I've not been losing such games but I definitely play a faster game at home, round, through or over their lines 

My biggest struggle has been finding a role for the striker, I want a support role for an aerial threat without hold up ball (because they constantly hold it way too long) and with the ability to play riskier passes to play my pacy wingers in behind. From what I can see, it isn't there.

Or perhaps I'm just seeking to blame the game for my own shortcomings. :D

Archived