Anyone only ever play ONE single save?

17 minutes ago, sufcdan said:

With the release of FM17 just around the corner, i just wondered does anyone out there ever just play one single save all the way through to the next installment of the game???

That's always my aim, but I've only ever managed it twice. Last year at Manchester United being the last time. So many things can just go wrong to make you want to start again.

Plenty of people do.

I have done in the past but sometimes I start others.  I rarely have more than 3 or 4 per version.  Last year I had one Beta one while still playing FM15, one which I played from about December > Feb & the final one which I started in March and am still playing.

I always play only one save.
Start off unemployed with Sunday league reputation and i keep it going until the new FM comes.

I used to go with 2 saves. First one would be a Beta test run, to figure out the details of new features and changes.

Then i just changed it to one save.
My goal is to be as successful as possible as well as getting as far as i possibly can.

It normally ends up as a little journeyman game for me, as i usually struggle with my first 2-4 clubs getting the tactics right.
Then i'm able to get settled with a club that prefers my general tactic and strategy, until i get sacked or feel that i'm unable to improve the team further and resign.

If i get the sack, or if i resign, i go on holiday while applying for any club.
I have no problem going from top division to an obscure division in Romania. I always take things as they come.

Currently on FM16 i spent almost 30 years at Sant Andreu, taking them from the lowest playable (official) league to La Liga.
Was close to getting a Europa League spot as my biggest acheivement. Then i got the sack and continued with HamKam in Norwegian 2nd
divison. Haven't played in a while now though but i do think i'm around 2067 +/-2 years.

I never do national sides. Tried Honduras though on FM16 but i find it extremely boring and tedious being a National Head Coach.

Just now, roykela said:

I always play only one save.
Start off unemployed with Sunday league reputation and i keep it going until the new FM comes.

I used to go with 2 saves. First one would be a Beta test run, to figure out the details of new features and changes.

Then i just changed it to one save.
My goal is to be as successful as possible as well as getting as far as i possibly can.

It normally ends up as a little journeyman game for me, as i usually struggle with my first 2-4 clubs getting the tactics right.
Then i'm able to get settled with a club that prefers my general tactic and strategy, until i get sacked or feel that i'm unable to improve the team further and resign.

If i get the sack, or if i resign, i go on holiday while applying for any club.
I have no problem going from top division to an obscure division in Romania. I always take things as they come.

Currently on FM16 i spent almost 30 years at Sant Andreu, taking them from the lowest playable (official) league to La Liga.
Was close to getting a Europa League spot as my biggest acheivement. Then i got the sack and continued with HamKam in Norwegian 2nd
divison. Haven't played in a while now though but i do think i'm around 2067 +/-2 years.

I never do national sides. Tried Honduras though on FM16 but i find it extremely boring and tedious being a National Head Coach.

Wow that is impressive! Did you decide to go for HamKam? surely your reputation wouldv got you a bigger club?

22 minutes ago, sufcdan said:

Wow that is impressive! Did you decide to go for HamKam? surely your reputation wouldv got you a bigger club?

I did. Think i've played 2 seasons there. Being close to get promoted only to crash and burn during the last 3-4 games, both seasons.
I did go for a club in between Sant Andreu and HamKam, somewhere in Eastern Europe. Can't remember which club or which country.
What i do remember is that i forgot to check the foreign player rules and i messed it up royally for myself. Resigned after a very short time and then took on HamKam.

I did have a few offers from much bigger clubs, although none of them world beaters. At the time i felt like starting at the bottom again so i just went for HamKam,
as i'm Norwegian and i hadn't managed in Norway yet.

My favourite way of playing the game is as a journeyman starting from the bottom (although at the moment I'm doing a one-club-only save), so I've done this a few times. Well not strictly, I'll often load up a save on the beta or the demo with Arsenal or another big club to get used to the game; but then start from scratch on my long-term journeyman and that's my "real" save for the year.

Indeed that's what I did for FM16.

I always play the one save and i always start either unemployed or in one of the north/south conference divisions of england. starting so low down the ladder brings up a endless string of different challenges so keeps things fresh. i could never imagine starting as a giant and sticking with that save for a entire version

I have just completed my first one save year.  Played the 2016 demo on full fat Fm then switched to FM Classic on release.

328 hours and 18 seasons later I think I am done.  Highlight was winning the World Cup with England in 2026. 

Vicenza - Roma - Barcelona - Dortmund - England - Bayern (81 days the less said the better) - West Ham - Man Utd.

Promotion with Vicenza followed by 19 club trophies and two at international level.

Every new challenge kept me going until I got to Man Utd then it was meh.... played six months with them and stopped playing about a month ago.

Was considering giving FM17 a miss and carrying on this save elsewhere.  Howwver the confirmation of 64 bit in FM17 has turned my head.

No, I like experimenting various teams from different leagues. But I always start with my favorite team to the new game. Also, careers apart from the first one never give the taste of first one for me. 

I have about 3 saves on FM16. One with Icelandic side Selfoss, one with MLS team Toronto FC and one with national side Qatar. All with at least  5 years game time.

I always stick to one save, and I always start my save with Manchester United. After about six or seven seasons, I tend to take over a smaller club which is when the real work begins. Once the new installment is out, I've usually played 35-40 seasons, managing 3-4 teams

I'm on my first save in FM16, though it's only 5 seasons (can read all about it if you'd like) long, and I do take some longish breaks from the game from time to time. I'm enjoying this save so much that I'm going to continue with it, and FM17 will have to wait.

It's unusual for me to have more than two saves. I play the game very slowly, and , like I say, I take breaks from the game (I like to expand my gaming repertoire these days, rather than just playing FM). In fact, I don't know if I can think of an FM where I had more than two saves, other than tiny experiments. At most it will probably be a short save at release and a main one later. I can near enough remember all the clubs I've had saves with in the last 5-10 years, and how far I got. My memory is a little sketchy, because there's been so many saves that overlap. Skarp (07, I think). FC Juventus of Romania (11). Skarp again another year that led on to KFUM Oslo (possibly 12). The next year I decided to start with KFUM and ended up with Strindheim, whom I took to the Norwegian Premier, before ending up with Chievo and, I think, Hamburg (would be 13, then). There was one year I had a very enjoyable save with Koper in Slovenia, where I ended up with Dinamo Kiev (that could have been 12, which would put the other Norwegian saves each a year on). I'm watching Inverness v Rangers on telly at the moment, and I know I managed Caley one year. There were also great saves with Colwyn Bay and Kettering. Many enjoyable times.

My saves tend to die when I get to big clubs. There's something special about managing at the lowest levels, I feel. Or maybe I just miss my first club.

I'm hoping that FM17 is the year I do a one save year, I just want to try seeing what my own career would end up like. Don't know if Derby have a reputation for having long-term managers but I'm only there to stop McClaren; longer I am there the longer he won't stop the club going down. So it looks like a long year ahead. Long, but enjoyable I hope...

Still playing my single save as Chelsea from FM2010.  Only in the sixth season as work and life in general keep getting in the way.

The save before that was my single game on FM2005.

I bought 11 & 12,  plus played the demos of 15 & 16, but never moved over to playing any of them for more than a tryout.

With Chelsea naming a new stadium after me at the end of this season, maybe I'll retire and try starting a long term game with FM2017 in the next few months.  

What I do is start with a team in very low league roughly two below conference and see how far I can get them. you know all your staff and players after a few seaons but it throws up huge problems which I like to solve like huge debts and a stadium which is generally too small.

Can't wait right now :)

I always only do one save! Usually I create myself as an ex-sunday league footballer and start unimployed and see where the game takes me.

As I'm getting older I sadly don't have quite the same amount of hours to spent FMing, so I might actually start a bit up the leagues for FM17.

On 14/10/2016 at 14:37, amadeo said:

I bought FM 16 back in May. I have played one save only until today :-)

Exactly this! ...wierd

E: The last 4-5 editions I've been playing youth only saves in Denmark and Iceland. I've started a few games over the years to test tactics in the top divisions (maybe 2 in total), but I stick to my main save until I get tired of it (Iceland became unplayable) or the new version comes out.

I have one Liverpool and one Rangers save and that's it. I never go on vacation and I manage every single match on extended or comprehensive. I'm in my 2nd season with Liverpool and just started the 2nd season with rangers.

I've never been a one-save man on FM. In recent years, I have tended to start off with one or two warm-up saves (in FM16, I managed Annan for a season), and then do some sort of holiday save project, before committing myself to a bigger challenge after the January transfer update.

At least that's the plan. For the last three years, though, I have been almost completely drawn into an FM13 save that is now in its 23rd season - by far the longest I have ever gone in CM/FM. I've even written a few stories about it HEREHERE, and HERE. That has obviously eaten into the time I can spend on newer FMs, but I'm hoping FM17 is the next game that can lure me into a really long-term save.

I tend to do short saves with just my favourite club and only play FMC these days.  I think the farthest I have gone in any FM is 5 or 6 seasons, I just get bored once real players retire etc and the regens start coming in, for me it just loses that realism once that starts happening.

I have on 16 yeah. Of the 77 hours i've played, all but about 2 hours of that has been on my Sheffield United save, and the other 2 hours was messing around with Stoke City. 

But that's been due to a number of reasons; Lack of time to play FM (77 hours over a year is nothing in the grand scheme of it) and i've got addicted to the young squad i'm starting to put together so really want to see how they develop to name two.

I often only play one save.  Sometimes I will take on an additional team and manage 2 teams in different leagues once I have achieved all I want to, for an added challenge.

On FM14 I ended up with 3 teams in one save.  Currently in FM16 I am still on my first team and first save in the year 2027I didn't buy the game until June.

In some years I've spent a lot of time on the editor and then played one normal save and then start another with my edited leagues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2016 at 04:50, sufcdan said:

With the release of FM17 just around the corner, i just wondered does anyone out there ever just play one single save all the way through to the next installment of the game???

Not far off this.  I normally start a beta game and hack around with the game with a big club to get a feel for it.  Then when it feels like the majority of patching is done, I'll start a game - almost always with Luton - and yeah, that'll generally last me through til next release...:)

Always one save for me. 

Currently on over 400 hours on my FM16 save and enjoying it so much that I don't think I will buy FM17 this year. That is not a negative slur at FM17 (in fact I would love to buy it as it has the Brexit scenarios in it), but more of a reflection of how much I am enjoying my one long FM16 career save :) 

I often have two saves. One starting at Forest and seeing wherever I end up (I usually get the sack) and then one after a lower league/other league editor files has been released, whereby I holiday the game for around 15/20 years and compile a list of clubs with interesting fortunes (tycoons, fall from grace, administration or charging up the leagues), then play as one of them.

Archived