England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

They just don't do that though, we're used to this in the UK, I guess but they see a large group of people singing and they think THREAT!! What did they think fans would be doing, sitting around sipping wine? You have to give some leeway, people will be singing, having fun and some may be a bit obnoxious but generally no ill feeling - relax!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can sort of perhaps have some level of understanding when it's drunken teenagers / lads in their 20's who have drunk too much and get caught up in it. But when you see pictures of middle-aged blokes in their 40's and 50's out there behaving like this it's just a bit sad and pathetic. Grow up. You probably haven't got that long left to live so just enjoy a bit of footie and a holiday.

This time yesterday the idea of UEFA actually following through and disqualifying England/Russia whoever was pretty laughable to me. This morning, not so much. 36 arrests is very worrying.

they just need police that engage with the fans' date=' be helpful etc. and it needs to start from as soon as people arrive in the cities. Even now you can see that there is absolutely no communication between police and fans nor does there seem to be any form of planning or co-ordination. going back to the Russia game, the fact the police presence inside the stadium was minimal and there being no proper police segregation between the fans speaks volumes.

The most worrying part is that the police seem to think that inflicting physical harm comes before ensuring the safety of people in the city, it's just a bizzare approach.[/quote']

Was watching BBC Breakfast a few days before the tournament and they were talking about, think they had the head of some kind of fan group on. He said he and members of British police have repeatedly told the French police the best way to go about it with engagement with fans etc like you said. But they constantly ignore the advice and just tear gas a load of people at the first sign of any trouble, and sometimes that "trouble" is just drunk people chanting daft songs about Jamie Vardy or whatever.

I'm sure there have been plenty of dickheads misbehaving who deserve to be arrested, but the police approach doesn't help matters in the slightest. And they've been told time and time again it's an approach that doesn't work.

It would be pretty annoying if England got kicked out as that would distract everyone from how poor the team is playing.

It's been one game and in that one game we played pretty well?

Except we failed to beat a terrible Russian side. Playing 'pretty well' isn't good enough if you're not being ruthless at both ends of the pitch.

Also, the lack of clear cut chances we created against the same terrible side also isn't good enough. Did we really play that well?

Well yeah, we weren't clinical enough and that's why we didn't win. But it's one game and we created enough chances to win the match. Hardly enough to say that the fan troubles is a distraction from "how poor" the team is.

Except we failed to beat a terrible Russian side. Playing 'pretty well' isn't good enough if you're not being ruthless at both ends of the pitch.

Also, the lack of clear cut chances we created against the same terrible side also isn't good enough. Did we really play that well?

Yes.

We had more possession, plenty of chances and should have been out of sight in the first half. I'll give you that the chances weren't that clear cut but then the tournament as a whole seems quite defensive with chances hard to come by. We do need to be more clinical as well and put the chances away when we get them.

On the flipside we defended well and didn't give Russia a sniff of a chance, I wouldn't have even classified their goal as a half chance.

You can sort of perhaps have some level of understanding when it's drunken teenagers / lads in their 20's who have drunk too much and get caught up in it. But when you see pictures of middle-aged blokes in their 40's and 50's out there behaving like this it's just a bit sad and pathetic. Grow up. You probably haven't got that long left to live so just enjoy a bit of footie and a holiday.

I think ordinarily you see a large group of guys the police might be on alert but it's a football tournament and everyone is different. Some will just gather some will sing loud songs. You got to use a bit of common and gauge which situations are actually likely to kick off. Sounds like they decided beforehand. It's pointless trying to stop people gathering and singing, it's a football tournament

I have no idea why people want to go kick off at tournaments but some of this sounds like just regular groups of guys, no hooligans getting embroiled in stuff. Not sure there is an actual UK 'hardcore' element there, is there? It sounds like an utter **** show

You know it's nailed on an English side will be playing in Russia in the CL next season, right

The scenes after the goal. No passion :D

Got nothing against Wales but nothing like a bit of absolute nonsense talking being completely and utterly shoved up someones arse.

What Bale said was ******** enough without completely changing it. He didn't say England had no passion.

Regardless, the minute you start trying to quantify 'passion' you're going to look stupid anyway.

Deserved that, so far everything negative that has happened has been of our own making, shooting ourselves in the foot. Wales deserved nothing from that game, we made hard work out of it

Hart though ... sorry, that's not good enough, mate. My worry with Hart is he's not one of these top players that is 'his own worst critic' I think he's more his own biggest fan. I want him to look at that and be freaking crushed .... but I don't think he will be

I remember a couple of dodgy near post goals for City in CL and the interviewer asking him and he seemed genuinely surprised anyone could consider it his fault

Sterling was poor again but plus point is Hodgson changed it. Really should have hauled Kane off in the first game. Love him but it wasn't working.

We don't let this slip, guys, we go again!!!

Hart though ... sorry, that's not good enough, mate. My worry with Hart is he's not one of these top players that is 'his own worst critic' I think he's more his own biggest fan. I want him to look at that and be freaking crushed .... but I don't think he will be

England have had keepers in the last that have looked absolutely crushed after a mistake, it doesn't end well. Id rather a keeper that doesn't let one mistake lead to another.

Hart is the least of England's problems.

I don't mind it not affecting him but at least acknowledge it so you don't make the same mistake again, think 'damn, I can do better' - singing the national anthem loud is not enough, get your head in the game! :D

I have to say I am never super comfortable with the ball at Hart's feet

Great result today, felt a bit similar to Russia in the way we played and the way it played out...just with a different result. Walker and Rose were great, best players I thought, with Walker just shading it for motm...Hart was stupid for the goal but that sometimes happens, CBs were usual, as in they looked nervous and shaky...don't think much will change there...Rooney was good in patches, I don't mind him in that spot...Alli looked a bit lost at times but he's young and still learning, I thought Dier wasn't great today...looked a bit rushed at times and wasn't as solid even though he didn't have a great deal to do...Sterling was woeful and should be benched for the next match...Lallana was good, best from the starters after Walker and Rose...Kane just looks a bit lost and out of sorts...subs were good and Vardy and Sturridge did really well, I thought Sturridge was excellent with some of his movement. Next game could be one to try Vardy and Sturridge from the start, maybe giving Sterling and Kane a rest (Sterling hopefully a longer rest...his form is just so out of sorts)...or maybe try Sturridge and Kane and keep Vardy for impact subs in games...I don't think much else needs changing personally as I think it's been 2 good performances...hopefully we just keep getting better and can find more rhythm in our play...it does feel great to be sitting with 4 points...and we've definitely been the better team in both games. On to Monday now.

Saw something earlier that Bale saved Roy's job. If he doesn't score Roy doesn't make the changes? It's a point of view anyway :D

Well done today, don't think Slovakia will be a walkover but looks like qualification is secure

he might have made the changes later, but we would have only needed the 1 goal, rather than the 2 we did need, to win it

I'd hope Roy would stick with Sturridge and Vardy for the Slovakia game. Gotta be it for Kane and Sterling for now, they've not impressed so far. Luckily they're young and you'd hope they'll take this experience with them to improve in 2018.

I do feel sorry for Kane, he's getting no service at all at the minute. Sturridge was poor other than the goal, a few shots high over the bar from range and ran into a few players. He's not a bad player but people are overestimating him and Vardy today. Vardy touched the ball about 5 or 6 times in 45 minutes.

Yeah he was a player that should've been on from the start today. I think with that goal he'll be up front against Slovakia. Kane needs a back seat because he hasn't brought his A-game so far and some time out of the side might help him. Rest him up for the knockout games and see if we can figure out how to best use him (and while he's out of the side, find someone that can take corners).

Sturridge was fine, he picked up the ball in different areas, actually went past people. When he got the ball central you felt like things could happen. I would have brought him on for Kane against Russia and would start him against Slovakia

We have these strikers, beauty is if one isn't working then put the others on. I thought Rashford did well in his cameo too, didn't look out of place at all

I feel sorry for Kane also, not only is he struggling but playing up front on your own against 3 centre backs is difficult for anyone, in this system he needs more support and he's not going to get it from sterling. I think Lallana is doing a good job on the other side through his positioning and movement and allowing walker to take on the wide stuff. Even though taking Kane off for the second half was the right call I imagine if he was still on the pitch he would have looked much better as we put more people forward and having the forward three much more narrow, Regardless it would be harsh not to play both Sturridge and Vardy in the next game. presuming we qualify however, I would bring Kane back in for the next game and make sure it's not sterling out wide (or simply go back to the diamond).

We are performing really well on the most part, struggling to make it click against more defensive sides but we are getting there. We know we can make the system work against the bigger sides and we know we can beat them if we have a good enough game as observed by the recent friendlies. let's keep this going!

I do feel sorry for Kane, he's getting no service at all at the minute. Sturridge was poor other than the goal, a few shots high over the bar from range and ran into a few players. He's not a bad player but people are overestimating him and Vardy today. Vardy touched the ball about 5 or 6 times in 45 minutes.

Absolute bollocks. Sturridge made things happened, came deep and actually did things with the ball. Yeah he had a few wild shots, but he created the space for himself and had things open up infront of him so why not have a pop? I'd rather players took shots then the endless crab football as long as there isn't a better pass on

His coming deep to get the ball actually forced Rooney further back which in turn freed up space for Alli also, who was much better in the 2nd half

And scored. We are not being ruthless enough in front of goal. Vardy and Sturridge should both start

Sturridge was fine, he picked up the ball in different areas, actually went past people. When he got the ball central you felt like things could happen.

Absolute bollocks. Sturridge made things happened, came deep and actually did things with the ball. Yeah he had a few wild shots, but he created the space for himself and had things open up infront of him so why not have a pop? I'd rather players took shots then the endless crab football as long as there isn't a better pass on

Sounds like a typical Townsend performance, somehow I doubt you'd be as kind to him :(

England have had keepers in the last that have looked absolutely crushed after a mistake, it doesn't end well. Id rather a keeper that doesn't let one mistake lead to another.

Hart is the least of England's problems.

In fairness he's had 2 absolute shockers back to back. Hasn't inspired any confidence at all.

He set up the first and scored the winner, in addition to constantly running at the Welsh defence and causing them problems. I don't know what more you could want from a striker. Maybe to be able to take a bad corner??

Sturridge should've been in the team for the Russia game. He is our best forward because he can make things out of nothing. Kane would not have scored from the position Sturridge started in. Vardy being in the team helped too, it meant we had players in the box causing problems. Again, Kane wouldn't have scored Vardy's goal because he wouldn't have taken up such a position, he would've been lurking on the edge of the box waiting for a pull-back.

If Sturridge doesn't start on Monday then Roy needs to be sacked.

He set up the first and scored the winner, in addition to constantly running at the Welsh defence and causing them problems. I don't know what more you could want from a striker. Maybe to be able to take a bad corner??

Sturridge should've been in the team for the Russia game. He is our best forward because he can make things out of nothing. Kane would not have scored from the position Sturridge started in. Vardy being in the team helped too, it meant we had players in the box causing problems. Again, Kane wouldn't have scored Vardy's goal because he wouldn't have taken up such a position, he would've been lurking on the edge of the box waiting for a pull-back.

If Sturridge doesn't start on Monday then Roy needs to be sacked.

Sturridge's shooting outside the box was wayward, but other than that he did exactly what we needed.

Alli looks like he needs a rest, Henderson or Wilshere should also come in for Slovakia

As long as 2 of the 3 start then I won't really be disappointed

This, Kane + Sturridge or Vardy, then whichever of Sturridge and Vardy you don't play you bring on after 60 minutes or so.

I'd start Wilshere ahead of Alli too. He's done some good things but hasn't been at his best.

I'm still celebrating the win. It's a tournament and a win's a win no matter how you get it.

Positives - 4 points (1 minute away from 6), undefeated, defence haven't been challenged in 2 games, Rooney in midfield is actually working, Lallana and Walker are in the forms of their lives.

Negatives - only 4 shots on target - not creating proper chances, Roy clearly has no idea what he's doing and got so lucky last night, Sterling had one of the worst halves I've ever seen, Hart's brainfarts, Kane just not working.

In truth, in both games we've not really been tested so far. Russia sat back and defended, and Wales set up camp with 9 men behind the ball all game. We'll should get found out as soon as we play a team who actually set up to win a game, but hey, if you're going to be lucky you might as well do it in a tournament.

What's the circumstances for us to go out of the tournament at this stage? It's a very very slim chance right?

As did Lallana twice in the first game

I'm not sure I understand these sort of comments.

On the face of it its easy to slate players for missing the target but in reality they aren't just aiming to hit the target they are aiming for a much smaller space no more than the width of two balls. Sterling's effort was poor but both of Lallana's he had defender & GK in front of him with a much reduced target to aim for.

I think you're giving footballers far too much credit there, in Lallana's case as well as Rooney's effort against Russia, they're just trying to **** it as hard as they can and hope it flies in

Its where the phrase 'they've hit it too well' comes from

Archived