Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

4 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Id say some of the stuff is constructive, and really constructive at that point. There is also a fair amount of overkill and repeating the same points even though its already been noted. And it does start to drown out anyone else trying to leave their points. Thread starts to get a bit dominated by the same people saying the same thing a bit. 

It's worth noting that the repeated content in this thread is predominantly coming from new contributors. There are only a couple of individuals who are repeatedly bringing up the same points, and they come from both sides of the argument. You can easily identify them by checking the top posters.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

It's worth noting that the repeated content in this thread is predominantly coming from new contributors. There are only a couple of individuals who are repeatedly bringing up the same points, and they come from both sides of the argument. You can easily identify them by checking the top posters.

Its not the top posters im talking about. Its the recent posting that's been the same people making the same points

19 hours ago, Thengil said:

One thing that seems off for me is that even crap teams are great at passing.

just looking at these stats is very misleading. If you watched the games or go into details in the stats you will notice that the pass percentage in the defensive third is usually high (in my opinion because pressing has never worked properly) and then when the ball transitions to the middle third there is more mistakes, more tackles etc. So it's not that every team is good at passing, it's more the fact that they are allowed to do so without too much pressure

I don't want them to take the "easy" route to fix it by making players in the defensive third hoof the ball for no reason when they are not under any pressure like in FM23 and FM21 especially. I want them to do it by making players press properly

Another example of squad management issues. Ribeiro wants a new contract, he's unhappy. I go in to offer and he wants to be a first team regular and for our central midfield to be improved:

image.thumb.png.91f120b2dfd48e08b64c1333b73504a9.png

He's my worst option at right wing:

image.thumb.png.50140b6aca921d3de53bdebdc54497fa.png

My worst option at striker:

image.thumb.png.727fecdb87d607e453b43ec99b7043a1.png

My second best option at left wing:

image.thumb.png.fe9b81d01317d87d80ef56177241b228.png

I offer squad player and...

image.thumb.png.43093affa66e0a67c482ff3cc4cc4a4a.png

Edited by whatsupdoc

38 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

You are right. This could also add to the difficulty. For instance, if you designate a player as a squad player, but he desires to be a regular starter, the negotiation may fail.

I hope so.

Unsure if theres any way to set it for the DOF renewing contracts? Or maybe thats taken from the squad planner or the game time theyve had?

20 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Its not the top posters im talking about. Its the recent posting that's been the same people making the same points

Before reading the post after yours, about five new posters made the same repeated points about the game. But I digress.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They have no effect.

You give your team talk, your squad is "fired up", then you enter the match and every player is "neutral".

Same at half time.

Thanks for explaining. When they fix it within the next update, it will be save compatible, right?

• SI Staff
13 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Another example of squad management issues. Ribeiro wants a new contract, he's unhappy. I go in to offer and he wants to be a first team regular and for our central midfield to be improved:

Not saying there's not issues with this stuff - but realistically speaking is this that bad? It seems like a case where a player wants regular first-team football, and you're rightly not willing to offer it. It's not that unusual for a player to rate themselves higher than you might do.

Bit like Cole Palmer leaving City to Chelsea. He was valued at City but wanted to be a regular starter and City wouldn't guarantee that.

The only real solution is to sell them, right?

But obviously you can make a bug report for anything you see, and the team will check it all.

34 minutes ago, DarJ said:

This has been the case since they added pressing triggers. Your players no longer run around all over the pitch but they wait for certain before they engage like bad touch, player receiving the ball on his weaker foot etc. 

The change is good because it reflects more with how it is done irl but on the flip side it's very frustrating to play against a back 3 and se them pass the ball around and your players just looking at them 

yeah, I've been struggling with pressing against back 3. A little help is actually removing the prevent short GK distribution. I feel when it's on, my wingers aren't sure whether to press the wide center back or cut the passing lane to the wing-back.

But many times a team like Bologna set up in a cautious back 3 gets 60%+ possession because they're knocking the ball between defenders and our attackers are outnumbered when pressing.

19 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

Not saying there's not issues with this stuff - but realistically speaking is this that bad? It seems like a case where a player wants regular first-team football, and you're rightly not willing to offer it.

Bit like Cole Palmer leaving City to Chelsea. He was valued at City but wanted to be a regular starter and City wouldn't guarantee that.

But obviously you can make a bug report for anything you see, and the team will check it all.

Possibly... 

I don't feel he's at a point where he can reasonably become "unhappy" at not being given that role. I'm in his favoured personnel and so is one of his team-mates. He's made 14 appearances last season against weaker sides. He's 20 years old.

image.thumb.png.b44d9db82048beedf4f860a28604cccd.png

Even if I offer him regular starter in the following season he says no:

image.thumb.png.b48048640248caf216509c3ae9f41453.png

and then there's this from the team leaders which is definitely unreasonable:

image.png.cb2aad0b8888638b62b833908200a90f.png

Edited by whatsupdoc

• SI Staff
7 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Possibly... 

I don't feel he's at a point where he can reasonably become "unhappy" at not being given that role. I'm in his favoured personnel and so is one of his team-mates. He's made 14 appearances last season against weaker sides. He's 20 years old.

It's not my area to be honest - but in situations like this I think it'd come down to the player's hidden attributes, how ambitious they are etc. Some players would be happy in this situation (Foden), and others won't be (Palmer). It's a tricky balance and obviously it's never a nice position to be put in as a manager. But it's the sort of story that's nice to tell in FM since it's a common problem in football, with players like Balogun as well at Arsenal.

5 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

And Football Manager isn't just about the ME.

thisw.jpg.fe13ab40fdd65a114112fc29dd2acf84.jpg

YES.  Yes!  There are other things than the ME, and honestly for about three years now the ME hasn't been the problem.  FM 2022 had a really good one.  Yeah, some problems, not perfect, still very good.  I thought 23's was a step back, but it was still way better than 2020, for one.  2024... I'm not sure.  I don't like it as much as 22's, I maybe like it more than 23's but maybe not, but it's not what's holding the game back.  The primary issues are around the way you as the player interact with the world beyond the Tactics Creator, and the UI/UX you use to do it.  That encompasses a lot of stuff, everything from player development to media to player interactions and promises, the 800-pound gorilla in the locker room, and the dozens and dozens of clicks on tiny boxes scattered around the periphery of the screen it takes to navigate this stuff.

On 13/11/2023 at 17:08, krkyseventwo said:

I spent my weekend mucking about on the editor. All managers (full time, part time, amateur, unemployed etc) based in England, Scotland, Spain, Italy and Germany. I put them at 16 and 16 for ‘use of subs’ and ‘squad rotation’. I also had 18 and 15, 17 and 14 for 3 year sims. 

The game appears to be more balanced in terms of score lines, and definitely more subs and squad players being used. However, it takes away the individual real life preferences of the AI manager and scores like 5-3, 7-1, 6-2 etc, are non existent. They do happen IRL so that’s not realistic either. 

Makes me appreciate how difficult a job it must be for SI because they are just a stat away from it being a completely different game. 

None of this would have ever mattered if they had built the match engine to truly take into account every player and staff members attribute.

31 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

It's not my area to be honest - but in situations like this I think it'd come down to the player's hidden attributes, how ambitious they are etc. Some players would be happy in this situation (Foden), and others won't be (Palmer). It's a tricky balance and obviously it's never a nice position to be put in as a manager. But it's the sort of story that's nice to tell in FM since it's a common problem in football, with players like Balogun as well at Arsenal.

Around a week later, same issue with a different player. Parisi demands to be a star player. We're in 4+ competitions (after winning the CL last year) and there is another left back at the club better than him.

image.thumb.png.8b180df9009610db447b00ab61e70985.png

Try to offer him regular starter plus some extra promises, he rejects:

image.thumb.png.e496fef9977273ab36efaf20721c915e.png

He becomes "unhappy promise to offer a contract not kept" and rejects my explanation that I did try to offer him a deal.

image.png.900c9e10c7c13dfe0bc2a95ed3ecb2e7.png

and while I was writing this post, another one kicked off:

image.thumb.png.5723fc2792eca6f58b431a893fe38006.png

image.png.5579b7373a5dcda6120c0bdc3307f5b5.png

Edited by whatsupdoc

• SI Staff
14 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Around a week later, same issue with a different player. Parisi demands to be a star player. We're in 4+ competitions (after winning the CL last year) and there is another left back at the club better than him.

Definitely worth posting these examples in a bug thread, ideally with a save game right before the negotiation if possible. They really help a lot with this kind of stuff

QA will investigate it in detail to see if there's any issues under the hood

6 minutes ago, TokyoWanderer said:

Your point is made and frankly, it is not a good one in my opinion. You don't get to have great players sitting on the bench for years. Most young promising players leave their teams when they get to a certain age if they don't get to start the majority of matches.

Everything you are posting suggests to me that the game is working great in terms of how players react to their roles, with the exception of the complaints of the leaders about you not renewing the contracts of the players who want to leave for more playing time.

Like, Parisi is 24 and has already won a CL as a bench player according to you. Of course he would now want to leave for more playing time.

Posting examples of questionable gameplay issues is half the reason for this thread. 

He's not "a bench player" - never suggested that.

There should perhaps be a "we use a squad rotation system at this club" option that makes players who will freak out about it less likely to sign in the first place. 

43 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

There should perhaps be a "we use a squad rotation system at this club" option that makes players who will freak out about it less likely to sign in the first place. 

Not everyone appreciates Pep roulette.

1 hour ago, whatsupdoc said:

Posting examples of questionable gameplay issues is half the reason for this thread. 

He's not "a bench player" - never suggested that.

tbf, if they aren't accepting a regular starter role or squad player role, then that means they don't want to be in a rotation. It clearly says star player and you didn't try to offer them a star player contract. Stuff like this gets lumped in with legitimate player interaction problems.

AI is still so bad at and weak at transfers. You dominate easily in the leagues like Netherlands, Belgium, Turkey.
I check the transfers of AI, and they are buying few players, and those who buy plenty, most of them are useless players. I dont want to have to play in England or Germany to have a competitive and fun career anymore.

In middle level leagues, you're still dominating the league because the AI is still so bad at transfers. In Turkey for example, clubs except Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, they are so bad at transfers. I really want to enjoy playing in small leagues but this prevents me from doing so.

I've been testing with the recent update and previous version.

11 minutes ago, isoche said:

AI is still so bad at and weak at transfers. You dominate easily in the leagues like Netherlands, Belgium, Turkey.
I check the transfers of AI, and they are buying few players, and those who buy plenty, most of them are useless players. I dont want to have to play in England or Germany to have a competitive and fun career anymore.

In middle level leagues, you're still dominating the league because the AI is still so bad at transfers. In Turkey for example, clubs except Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, they are so bad at transfers. I really want to enjoy playing in small leagues but this prevents me from doing so.

I noticed the lack of transfer activity as well. There are definitely still some dumb transfers but I also think it is a combination of a lack of subs and rotations (new signing not playing) and a database issue (database not optimized to take full advantage of transfer activity) 

The realism mod should help some.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

Just now, Mars_Blackmon said:

I noticed the lack of transfer activity as well. There are definitely still some dumb transfers but I also think it is a combination of a lack of subs and rotations (new signing not playing) and a database issue (database not optimized to take full advantage of transfer activity) 

It really makes difference. For example I live in Turkey, and even though the clubs have big debts, they still bring many many players... I look at the game, only Fenerbahce and Galatasaray buys plenty of players.. Most Turkish teams get AT LEAST 8-9 players in summer windows. I see clubs without transfers sometimes. (Even some of them are rich) That are in England, Bundesliga etc.. You will not have fun playing in Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Netherlands because the AI is still so bad at squad building.

3 hours ago, DarJ said:

just looking at these stats is very misleading. If you watched the games or go into details in the stats you will notice that the pass percentage in the defensive third is usually high (in my opinion because pressing has never worked properly) and then when the ball transitions to the middle third there is more mistakes, more tackles etc. So it's not that every team is good at passing, it's more the fact that they are allowed to do so without too much pressure

I don't want them to take the "easy" route to fix it by making players in the defensive third hoof the ball for no reason when they are not under any pressure like in FM23 and FM21 especially. I want them to do it by making players press properly

Yeah I get what you mean, but i *still* think pass completions in the attacking half are way too high. It's a bit harder to find that stat from FM, but here's one match where FC Osaka had 82,3% successful passes in the attacking half. Only 11 passes were intercepted (Orange) , none were blocked, 23 were mishit (Yellow) and didn't find a team-mate and 4 went out of play (Red). Compare that to 177 successful passes (Green). I find that hard to believe for a team in J-League2. So I think that defensive positioning and pressing close to own goal, especially in a set piece situation, are a bit too slack. Either that or Passing 8 is almost the same as Passing 16 when the match engine is concerned.

image.thumb.png.31f994998ecee0caa8f5c1c51fc5790c.png

Not sure I agree this is the most comprehensive and refined FM ever. It's far from the worst, but I find new weird bugs every day. Just noticed there's a difference between what the editor says about a players height/weight and what the game shows. Hope it's me missing something.

Lol 37th minute and already 7-0 up against Real Betis. Im happy lol but isnt that abit to much...? :onmehead:

Edit: 2nd half, minute 46, 8-0!

What is it? ...The finishing too good? AI GK not good? Hmm. 

7-0.png

Edited by f.zaarour

19 minutes ago, f.zaarour said:

Lol 37th minute and already 7-0 up against Real Betis. Im happy lol but isnt that abit to much...? :onmehead:

Edit: 2nd half, minute 46, 8-0!

What is it? ...The finishing too good? AI GK not good? Hmm. 

7-0.png

Please make a thread in the bug tracker and upload the .pkm (match) into it. There's still been no acknowledgement from SI that they're looking to rectify it or even recognise it as an issue.

Surely it can't just be the high conversion rate going from the xG. Possibly a combination plus some form of GK ability/morale issue after conceding

Edited by Domoboy23

1 minute ago, Domoboy23 said:

Please make a thread and upload the .pkm (match) into it. There's still been no acknowledgement from SI that they're looking to rectify it or even recognise it as an issue.

Aight, will do. Maybe i can see if next games gonna be the same. And in the bug tracker area right? And how to make a pkm if i may ask? 

1 minute ago, f.zaarour said:

Aight, will do. Maybe i can see if next games gonna be the same. And in the bug tracker area right? And how to make a pkm if i may ask? 

Thanks, the more the better!

Yes over here: 

or your own thread if you want.

Just go back onto the match, click the settings wheel and press ''save match''. This then download the .pkm for you to upload

1 hour ago, isoche said:

Valid point, you want to see other clubs in your league spend their money, try their best to get better every year. But they hold on their players way too long, players who are obviously not good enough to reach their target. Why are other teams not striving to get better in this game, they are just there and get worse and worse every year. Why don't they have any knowhow how to build a competitive squad with rotation options? For me this is more important than a fancy match engine. The challenge is simply not there in the lower leagues. 

4 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Not saying there's not issues with this stuff - but realistically speaking is this that bad? It seems like a case where a player wants regular first-team football, and you're rightly not willing to offer it. It's not that unusual for a player to rate themselves higher than you might do.

Fun is being sacrificed for realism. 

I appreciate the balance is difficult to achieve but at the end of the day it's supposed to be a video game.

12 minutes ago, The About Average Jake said:

Fun is being sacrificed for realism. 

I appreciate the balance is difficult to achieve but at the end of the day it's supposed to be a video game.

It's actually a simulation nowdays. Hence the reason they got rid of player condition % and also introduced that awful matchday UI tablet replacing the old UI that was so simple and brilliant and allowed you to get all the essential info you needed.

Which I get... but if I were managing a team in real life on the touchline I'd be able to see my players, see if they were knackered, shattered or if their heads had gone. You can't see that in FM. So I disagreed with them removing the condition % which helped us see things in more detail as we would IRL and still do to this day.

I'd actually argue however that the game is starting to seem more like an arcade game for the casual player, and less like a spreadsheet management game. Which suits the new crowd and casuals, but is hard to bear for the longer-term hardcore players.

35 minutes ago, Wizard boy said:

Players coming to you complaining of lack of squad depth in certain areas in this case defence is ruining my save. 16 players unhappy. We have no room in the wage budget for anymore players but can’t tell them. 

Try to promote a youngster to the 1st team to fill in the need. Saw somewhere it helps. And it did for me. Some players were unhappy about attacking depth, promoted a youngster and they happy now. :) 

16 minutes ago, f.zaarour said:

Try to promote a youngster to the 1st team to fill in the need. Saw somewhere it helps. And it did for me. Some players were unhappy about attacking depth, promoted a youngster and they happy now. :) 

Already done that. Promoted 2 6ft5 17 year olds. One is actually in the first 11 too. I actually have 5 centre backs. 

6 hours ago, renato. said:

What if SI thought making an arcade game for casual players was a good idea? 

Because that's the public they are aiming now, right?

Now? Im on this forum for 19 years, it was always like that. Big part of why FM is so popular is because its super easy 2 beat. People like that ( not me, but im minority). I was fighting for 19 years to make game much harder, but every year is easier and easier.

People who want real challenge had many good advices how to do that. They dont listen because they think that people who would start losing would stop playin/ buyin. 

After all this years, and im playin since first CM, from 1992 i can help you with just one advice. There is one really good mod that makes game harder and more realistic. Search for that mod, its on this forum 2. 

Its not perfect solution, because just one man is doin that mod, but its much better.

1 hour ago, Wizard boy said:

Players coming to you complaining of lack of squad depth in certain areas in this case defence is ruining my save. 16 players unhappy. We have no room in the wage budget for anymore players but can’t tell them. 

Wasn't this the one issue actually fixed according to the patch notes? I see it on stream as well, lollujo playing 4-2-3-1 with 5 CB in the team, 16 player unhappy that it is not enough depth. Signs a 6th (during the contract offer one FB was kicking up a fuzz because he was upset about loss of a playing time lol) .... and he added youth players and now having 10 CB for the 2 position. Yet they are still unhappy, 16 player (the whole first team).

Or this does not apply to save games, only in case of starting a new one? Meaning that without the editor to remove the unhappiness, the game is unplayable at the current state? Good thing they raised the price of it because inflation and resources and new functions that it needed (right? :D )

So we should not believe the patch notes anymore (like the UI in the game). At this point FM24 should be made and open-source community-funded project as some modders would surely fix these in weeks, as they have actual passion and incentive (not financial) to do so... and I am not talking about the developers who are actually working on the game (I'm sure they do their best), but probably above in the real corporate levels. 

2qf1c4.png?a472152

I actually hate myself on how I behave on this forum, but I can literally not write anything positive.... and trying to provide constructive criticism is proven to not have any results, just look at the state of the bug tracker for years now.

Edited by marioNOW

I think it happens more when you choose a low playing experience & coaching badge combo, then take over a club with a higher rep than you. As I have stated before in this thread, injecting difficulty is fine, but there needs to be logic.

Edited by rdbayly

SI please add these formations in the editor to be selectable for AI managers, 4-1-4-1 DM and 4-4-1-1 DM and 4-4-2 DM.

They are so common it's a pity the AI is unable to use them in FM24 , mostly AI using the roles in the MR/ML position ( wide playmaker and defensive winger )...

And please do fix individual training as reported. Also, I'm getting advised to stop individual training focus on strength with some player, but when I get to indivual training window the assistant manager advises that the same player should have a focus on strength :idiot: 

Dont think its a bug, maybe just one for feature requests?

Have the loan manager set to arrange loan moves for loan listed players, but hes accepting loan moves that include buy options which are long way under value. 

Is there a way to tell him that i want the player loaned out but to reject any with a permanent move included?

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Matej:

People who want real challenge had many good advices how to do that. They dont listen because they think that people who would start losing would stop playin/ buyin. 

When FM got the Bundesliga rights they had german YT Channel "Rocket Beans" promote this game by having life playthroughs with 2 Guys competing each other respectively aiming for a certain season goal.

One of them is a so called "Tactic Nerd" for real football who has apearings in different football formats that stream their content or air it on YT.

The other one was a gamer (Rocker Beans was by large a channel that streamed life gaming) that should have had quite an experience in gaming and at least one of them was said to have some experience with FM.

It was an utter disaster!

Both of them showed there were completely unable to comprehend what was going on in the game and instead of learning and getting better the Nerd at least kept face but the gamer was becoming more and more frustrated and did all kind of aimnless things to no success and they ended it after a few matchdays.

They both did a second try one FM later with the 2 top teams BVB and FCB and the gamer with the BVB was still sucking and clueless and the Nerd had Bayern Munich - it ended like the first try...

Since then they have not made any FM content (and the channel has changed from fulltime broadcasting to parttime with reduced crew and formats).

When these so called experienced/expert persons show that much of a struggling to understand the FM game and such a lack of learning the ropes and improving i fear SI has some merit in easing the way in for newer players...

And maybe it would be better if competent FM players are chosen to stream this game to the broad audience.

It is such a shame FM Streamer Showdown is no more and even it was for english peoples/timezones only i thought that format would do FM a favour in promoting the game!

Edited by Etebaer