England vs Senegal, Round of 16. 7PM GMT, Al Bayt Stadium

Darius1998

Preview

Two teams from countries previously invaded by France go head to head in our third round of 16 encounter. England come into this unbeaten and having topped their group. Meanwhile, the reigning Africa Cup of Nations champions are a team shorn of their star man in Sadio Mane but took a comfortable 2nd place in their group behind the Netherlands with a fine display against Ecuador.

Senegal manager Aliou Cisse should be well enough to take charge tonight.

England have been eliminated at this stage on two previous occasions (1994 and 2010) while Senegal are making just their third World Cup finals appearance, having reached the quarters in 2002 while making a narrow group stage exit on disciplinary record four years ago.

Head to head: These two teams have never faced each other, not even in a friendly.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Rebs said:

Would imagine the atmosphere is immense.

It has been for most games tbf. I know it’s fun to bash every aspect of this World Cup, I get it, but the atmosphere is far better in the stadiums than it comes across on TV. Anybody that’s been to an actual football game knows that.

I can see one of two scenarios happening:

1. England deliver a solid but otherwise uninspiring 1-0 win.

2. A defensive disaster hands Senegal the win, the tabloids go crazy, and Southgate is out of a job before Tuesday.

I don't expect Senegal to be blown away, but I'm quietly optimistic, so I reckon it'll be a 1-0 England win.

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

The Rashford love is a great example of recency bias

Especially when he wasn't that good against Wales. Missed one on one in first half. Free kick was made easier by Ward being rubbish. And same for 2nd goal. 

And it's not like Saka hasn't done well either. 

Just now, skybluedave said:

Especially when he wasn't that good against Wales. Missed one on one in first half. Free kick was made easier by Ward being rubbish. And same for 2nd goal. 

And it's not like Saka hasn't done well either. 

exactly. If you flip the Wales and Iran games then everyone is saying that Saka and Sterling must start

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Oh no, Weezer is at the game, no drama to happen.

1-0 or 2-0 England.

I’ve seen plenty of drama tbf. It’s just these overrated Serie A players that can’t perform on the big stage :D