*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

Anything odd going on with country rankings for UEFA Champions League ? After the 1st season, the ranking gets all messed up with countries like Austria, Azerbaijan, and so on at the top of the ranking. Is this due to the new UCL format ?

I do not have any custom files that would have an impact, only player legends.

Thanks

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Skora11 said:

Either I am seeing different things, or I am just oblivious or people just like a good moan because they've lost/they're old tactic no longer works but I am really enjoying the ME after the update. 

It's always been like that, no matter what SI would do with the ME there will always be someone unhappy.

Best way is to just enjoy the game how it is and not to expect perfection - I highly recommend such approach!

3 hours ago, XaW said:

While you might be right, SI has never said they will do more updates or not. Please don't say this as a fact rather than what you think.

No its a based on the last 15 years . They never say anything so its only natural to go on previous years . Also I never claimed it was a fact anyway . Its my feedback and opinion  . Please don't put words in my mouth .

Just now, alian62 said:

No its a based on the last 15 years . They never say anything so its only natural to go on previous years . Also I never claimed it was a fact anyway . Its my feedback and opinion  . Please don't put words in my mouth .

You said:

10 hours ago, alian62 said:

Patches have finished . Only a Data update remains

If you want to give your opinion, present it as such by using "I think...", or "Based on previous games...". You don't know, so don't give other people the idea that you do. This is not a suggestion.

4 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

Anything odd going on with country rankings for UEFA Champions League ? After the 1st season, the ranking gets all messed up with countries like Austria, Azerbaijan, and so on at the top of the ranking. Is this due to the new UCL format ?

Thanks

Sorry for posting this again :( Any ideas?

48 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Pre update I used to be able to see the odd striker with 35, 40+ goals in a 46 game season. Is this still possible?

How many of those are IRL, Haaland? Other than that?

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

Pre update I used to be able to see the odd striker with 35, 40+ goals in a 46 game season. Is this still possible?

In my save Haaland scored 52 goals in 37 matches (Man City managed by SI)image.thumb.png.ba2f7d5f037a166a44c19573aefce12f.png

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

How many of those are IRL, Haaland? Other than that?

I'm not saying it should be a common occurrence. I'm a lover of defence. However, it does happen IRL (for example a player in the conference hitting in 35 goals and getting linked with a bigger move up the pyramid) and I saw maybe 2/3 players over 7/8 seasons in AI sides in full detail leagues in England do the same which was nice and probably in line with real life. EXAMPLES: Ricky Miller - Dover - 2017 with 40 goals in 41 games. Langstaff - Notts County - 36 goals in 38 games (Current season). Matt Tubbs - 2010 - 37 goals in 41 games.  Mitrovic - Championship - 41 goals last season.

I also managed Sam Surridge who got me 47 goals in one season, then just 11 the next :D

I only ask as I've only played around 1-2 seasons since the update and haven't seen it happen in any full detail leagues yet. That's not to say it won't happen next season. It's not a dig that it's not happening enough, or it's happening too much. I simply haven't played with a big enough sample size yet! :D

4 ore fa, frank_olaf ha scritto:

- Improvements to fixture scheduling, particularly the frequency of consecutive home or away games

Doesn't seem like this fix is working too well

image.png.b965ea5a587e95ffc4d8d0ea2d9ba477.png

Is it a new save? I would believe it is not in effect for saves already ongoing

I've noticed nonsensical marking like the example above a bit too much for my liking in FM23. In this example, my left back, who is covering an important space in front of the net, decides for whatever reason to run into midfield to mark (if you can even call it that, I mean the guy can't even reach the opposition player before he gets the ball) an opponent, leaving behind a big gap that easily gets exploited. This would obviously never happen in a real life match and I expect SI to sort this issue out for FM24.

9 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

Thanks

Got it on alphabetical order by accident?

Every time I ask the board to find an affiliate, a limited number of things happen. But regardless if they outright reject me, agree after some convincing, or accept the request immediately, it never seems to work out in the end and I see an inbox item saying the board failed to find a suitable club to link with. 

Is this how it is for everyone else? 

2 hours ago, LeoFM said:

I've noticed nonsensical marking like the example above a bit too much for my liking in FM23. In this example, my left back, who is covering an important space in front of the net, decides for whatever reason to run into midfield to mark (if you can even call it that, I mean the guy can't even reach the opposition player before he gets the ball) an opponent, leaving behind a big gap that easily gets exploited. This would obviously never happen in a real life match and I expect SI to sort this issue out for FM24.

This happens quite too often here too. Ball coming towards my CB which is waiting for the ball just to see my other CB coming through just to miss the header and leave a huge space for the opponent attacker. Bollocks. 

11 hours ago, LucasBR said:

This happens quite too often here too. Ball coming towards my CB which is waiting for the ball just to see my other CB coming through just to miss the header and leave a huge space for the opponent attacker. Bollocks. 

I have seen something similar but with fullbacks also.
I usually play a balanced 4-4-2 - nothing fancy , mid block , no PI for defenders or OI and sometimes, for some reason one of my CBs decide to challenge a ball that the other one is waiting.

If I change to higher mentality - positive or attacking - I've seen fullbacks sprinting to challenge the ball in the air even though the CBs is in position waiting for it. 

It's silly. As much as I appreciate some improvements of the ME the issues on the defensive side are obvious even after patches.

15 ore fa, LeoFM ha scritto:

does the fb have specific man marking instruction on that opposition player?

1 hour ago, Preveza said:

A really honest, deep and constructive discussion that is well thought out. (and well needed if FM is to move forward)

There was quite a  big discussion about this video on these forums when the video was released

After having played more on this new ME, I still do think it's a significant improvement from the last patch but that said, I do hope there are a few tweaks that could be made when the last update is out.

My major gripe at the moment is the tactical balancing which needs tweaking. I think BTN also released a video on this where focussing playdown the flanks and passing into space is overpowered. And so when trying to play a more possession based game against this style of game, you're at a significant disadvantage irrespective of the higher quality of players that you may possess. At the moment, utilising this style is like the "I win" button - which should not be the case at all.

You just need to look at teams top of their respective leagues, Barca & Arsenal / City etc, more possession based sides. This style of football should be more effective than it currently is, and the fact at the moment this is consistently weak to use, makes the game a lot less enjoyable and unrealistic for sure.

Edited by g1nh0

My thoughts on the matchmaking engine after 300+ hours of playing FM23

1. players lack boldness
It tries to play too much by following a set pattern, passing play. Especially players with good individual skills or speed should try to outrun the opposing defenders, but they always choose to pass first, even in counterattack or one-on-one situations. 

In real soccer, chances are always created by players who create cracks. This is because not every team can play a tiki-taka passing game like Man City. 

2. The accuracy of their long passes is too high.
Any player, regardless of passing ability, can throw a long pass like Pirlo. This is far from realistic. 

3. Hitting the goal too often. 
Players are hitting the goal too often, either from free chances or shooting chances. 

Conclusion: In a future patch or in the next version of FM24, I'd like to see more focus on player dribbling. 

One little thing I'd like to see improve is for players who are "Extremely interested" in joining your club to actually be willing to join your club when you put in bids for them. I'm not sure why the filter exists if it's just going to be completely wrong.

15 hours ago, Preveza said:

A really honest, deep and constructive discussion that is well thought out. (and well needed if FM is to move forward)

Would be interesting to do it again to hear what they think now all the patches are done with . 

PS .. NOTE ... I only think the patches are finished . I have no inside information on that fact but only 15 years of playing this game . 

Just making it clear . 😊

6 hours ago, alian62 said:

Would be interesting to do it again to hear what they think now all the patches are done with . 

PS .. NOTE ... I only think the patches are finished . I have no inside information on that fact but only 15 years of playing this game . 

Just making it clear . 😊

Found a video after the latest patch which goes into depth regarding tactics and certain bits and pieces about what can be improved :)

Player gets injured before a big match and even though he’s on injections, he still takes a big hit to morale and the generic message that he’s missing the game. It’s laughable at the point. It’s crazy that I’ve seen this happen in almost every FM I can remember. 

3 hours ago, Preveza said:

Anyone else seeing far too many shots hitting the top of the net? Nearly every missed long shot is hitting the top of the net before going out. Happens far too often in a match. 

Yes and too many hitting the crossbar.

Edited by jc1

2031 and I'm at Championship Stoke City who haven't been in the Premier League since 2018.  End of the season and we've finished 4th in the league and won the Carabao Cup, qualifying for Europe.

Board are now very disappointed that I haven't satisfied one of the club's objectives by not growing the club's reputation?!

It is so annoying.

13 hours ago, potbellypigs said:

I know this is one that has been around for a number of years but I had another unrealistic one today. Offered a free agent the max I could of £1.7k p/w and he rejected it in favour of £75p/w elsewhere.

Try post it in the Bugs tracker and hope it can get improved for future versions

Hello all,

writing here as I don't know where some general tactical discussions are for FM23, as I see there is less and less such talks.

My interest is to get my Wing-Backs to position them higher up the field in the mid. build-up phase of attack (so phase after the initial deep build-up starting from GK).

In the photo below, the ball is with IWB(s) Bancu, all players are positioned perfectly as I want them to form 2-3-4-1 formation or kind of a 3-2-4-1 with DLP droping deep.

The issue I have is WB on the right side, Vindheim CWB(s) as he is just positioned to low on the field, he needs to take a position similar to Lovrić - W(s) on left side, I am aiming to have quick passing solutions for a long ball on the side and then play the Mezzala(s) in to space.

Does anyone know how to achieve this, I have tried already WB (s)/(a), CWB (s)/(a), but always the same positon, only solution I found to be working is if I play the wingback in MR postion, but then there is the defending phase issue, where he is constantly forgetting the oppositions AML behind him.

image.thumb.png.b11c4a2b76549fbde078fca518dfec6b.png

Have to unload.  This is my 7th version of FM.  First bought in '01.  I have never enjoyed it less than V23.  I was promoted to Brazil league 1 after one season in 2.  Finished 5th that next season with a pretty weak roster but consistent play.  I'm 8 seasons later with an infinitely better roster, nice variety of tactics, and the AI just wants you to never leave your losing streak as each year I've fallen further down the table.  I've broken the all time record for ties in my current season, ALWAYS lose to the teams in 17-20th place even at home.  Teams with losing streaks end them with me about 80% of the time.  The developers must be convinced that if you lose a game IRL, players are so decimated that they must lose or draw the next 10-15 in a row.  That no one has ever bounced back from a loss, ever.  Playing away and think you can win?  Nope, IRL teams never win on the road.  It hasn't happened, I bet you didn't know that.  And you must play cautious all the time, even if your roster is 10X better than your opponent.  Try to up the pace and you will pay as opponents with players several levels lower than you light it up even though they lost their previous 5 games.

No tactic, even ones that are designed for it, ever give you a possession advantage.  I've had seasons where I had a possession advantage about 10% of all of the league games.   Players want to play but always get injured from fatigue.  Coaches and the AssMan constantly giving you terrible line-up advice, or advising you to give players extra training which you are immediately told to stop because it isn't working.  I'm convinced  that your coaches' only role is to try and trick you into doing stupid things.  I can't remember the last advice I got that actually did anything positive.

Opponents with every guy almost in the red in fatigue will find a way to run by your freshly replaced D in the 80th minute to score that tying goal despite the defensive mentality, which, BTW, never, ever, actually works.  I've never seen a defensive mentality do anything except yield 10X more shots against.  Choosing that mentality is like telling the ME that you have completely give up and want to watch your team burn.

Going back to V19 if I restart at all.  All of the fun of playing has been coded out in '23.  What an epic waste of time.

Edited by chemik

1 hour ago, azymin said:

I will happily buy next year's version with 1 new feature (international management) and nothing else but improvements.

Don't hold your breath...how long has it been now? Unless I'm becoming senile in my old age and delusional, this part of FM has even had things removed that were in long past editions. 

1 hour ago, azymin said:

The bad:

Everything else. I'm not trying to say that everything is 'bad' specifically. My issue is that there are many many bugs that have been neglected for year. Many areas of the game that need rework/refresh/complete rebuild. Biggest issues for me:

New ones and old ones :lol: For fm2023, individual training has seen an old bug came up: AssMan advises some focus, you cumply, and automaticaly, the AssMan advises other focus, you changed it again and finaly the AssMan adivses the initial focus (1st suggestion he had made). This was a bug / glitch from fm15 or so :eek: 

26 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

Don't hold your breath...how long has it been now? Unless I'm becoming senile in my old age and delusional, this part of FM has even had things removed that were in long past editions. 

Yeah it has been extremely frustrating. This is something that is constantly brought up on forums and SI just seems to ignore it. 

I just put it in because if it's not in the next version I probably won't buy the game. Just getting a bit fed up with SI ignoring player base.

9 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

New ones and old ones :lol: For fm2023, individual training has seen an old bug came up: AssMan advises some focus, you cumply, and automaticaly, the AssMan advises other focus, you changed it again and finaly the AssMan adivses the initial focus (1st suggestion he had made). This was a bug / glitch from fm15 or so :eek: 

Yeah the bugs that persist and seemingly aren't addressed despite the community feedback year after year is something that's just baffling. There are lots of bugs/odd things that you run into after a little bit of playing, which makes you wonder how much time SI really spends testing the game before 'beta' release. 

1 hour ago, azymin said:

Overall Game - 6.5/10.0

SI - please work on improving 2023 version. Fix the bugs. Don't introduce half-baked 'features' that need the rest of the cycle or more to become usable. Actually listen to feedback and read bug forums. Start communicating with your player base. Use your player base for an extended beta. 

I will happily buy next year's version with 1 new feature (international management) and nothing else but improvements.

2022 and 2023 editions have been major disappointments in terms of quality of product and features delivered. 

The good:

Match engine - better than it has ever been imo. Still plenty of areas for improvement, but it's in a great place to continue building on.

The bad:

Everything else. I'm not trying to say that everything is 'bad' specifically. My issue is that there are many many bugs that have been neglected for year. Many areas of the game that need rework/refresh/complete rebuild. Biggest issues for me:

1. International management. There is simply no reason for a football game to have international management component in such terrible state for years. Just inexcusable. 

2. Player interaction/media interaction - this either needs a complete rework or a massive update. The responses are severely lacking in both quantity and quality, and questions/responses/reactions often simply do not account for context. In a lot of ways this point has many immersion breaking flaws.

3. Scouting - decent step forward in 2023, but at the same time re-skinning existing items and making them somewhat functioning really shouldn't earn much praise. The interface is a jumbled up mess of menus and buttons. 

4. Transfer market.

5. Player progression and reputation growth issues.

There are too many other smaller issues to list out. 

Agree with everything you’re saying except the positive about the ME 😂. It is nice that it has its fans. Makes me think it’s not a complete wash-out. But I’m playing on Touch iPhone which apparently has identical ME and graphics so hopefully I can start liking it as much as you.