*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

Rashid has nail it on the latest video. The me and the new tactical options are superb (well done si developers :applause:) but the other features are for now kind of useless, well, at least there's big margin to improve. 

Edited by pedrosantos

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few matches in, I'm loving the ME so far. Few bugs here and there, but that's to be expected in Beta.

Outside of the ME though... feels like I just chose different skin.

Edit: One extra thing I forgot to add: I feel like due to new  animations, you can finally see a difference between a good dribbler and bad dribbler. The good ones keep the ball a lot closer and make more 'precise' touches, which is great, because so far good and bad players looked virtually the same in ME.

Edited by Iwabik

3 minutes ago, Obaaa said:

I genuinely don't understand how QA on the match engine hasn't identified the issue with long balls and defenders just allowing the ball to go over their heads to strikers uncontested. They literally stand there watching it.

Probably the biggest issue in the game right now, hopefully picked up and fixed for release.

Because each year you pay to test this game, which is a brilliant business for them.

5 minutes ago, Obaaa said:

Seems that way doesn't it. Just basic things that you can notice playing it for an hour or less.

Who says these issues werent caused by earlier tuning where those things didnt happen at all. Its all iterative, so those issues might have been present earlier in the closed testing.

2 hours ago, KamyKaze said:

That doesn't mean they want you sacked. They just angry about that match. If you go to club vision they will probably still like you (unless this is a string of bad results)

it was the first match of the season lol

Slightly too much ball bobbling?

When a winger does a long dribble down the flank, every single touch is a ball bobble.... seems a little bit too much.

A few bobbles yes, but then also have some touches where the ball stays flat on the ground.

7 hours ago, rusty217 said:

That's surely not the reason. Who cares if players find exploits? They've even released an official in-game editor, so SI clearly don't care if people want to cheat to win.

Because they (and we) want the match engine to be as realistic as possible. If there are match engine exploits then thats a huge failure of their fundamentals.

Remember in FM 2005 when there was a corner exploit. Jack Hobbs scored about 30 goals for me from CB. 

It's like FIFA/Pes having a way of playing that is unstoppable. like the goal from kick off on FIFA and diagonal running on Pes back in the day.

15 minutes ago, trevjim said:

Because they (and we) want the match engine to be as realistic as possible. If there are match engine exploits then thats a huge failure of their fundamentals.

Remember in FM 2005 when there was a corner exploit. Jack Hobbs scored about 30 goals for me from CB. 

It's like FIFA/Pes having a way of playing that is unstoppable. like the goal from kick off on FIFA and diagonal running on Pes back in the day.

You could just not use exploits? It's a single player game, it's not a huge failure if there's an exploit or something. Most players won't even notice it exists.

Been playing quite a lot today and I think the ME is looking very good.  Players seem a little too keen to shoot from the edge of the box (though, that has resulted in a few spectacular goals) and defenders are a little quick to hoof the ball upfield (both might be pressing sensitivity related). Definitely feels FM22 like in some respects - I haven't seen any of the lethal IF/IW drives into the box that were such a signature of FM21, for example - but it all feels slightly more realistic and the new animations give it a more polished feel.  On current experience I'm not looking for much to be changed for the full release.  

Edited by rp1966

11 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

You could just not use exploits? It's a single player game, it's not a huge failure if there's an exploit or something. Most players won't even notice it exists.

I get what you are saying but that's essentially the Devs of a game saying "yeh our game is broken so just ignore the broken bits"

It's a lazy excuse. Not saying this is the case with SI but it's my inclination, considering how many people have been asking for it for years and they ignore it year on year to do UI tweaks instead 

34 minuti fa, Saradiamanta ha scritto:

FM 23 I think lack of initiative about implementation sub 5 players rules. I check some league like french cup still used 3 subs oh cmon update lazy SI. and international competition too still used 3 subs rule. I checked that SI only implement 5 subs rule only in BiG LeaGuE. Just lazy FFS.

For example last year i edit all my load LEAGUE database 12 different country to 5 subs rule in pre game editor. But i cant change the INTERNATIONAL rules.

Why SI cant? Oh my god just lazy i think

If it's incorrectly implemented, did you post it in the bug tracker?

Is it not possible to scout the world cups or am I missing something? eight now i'm trying to scout the U-20 world cup but it doesn't show up in the international competitions section of the scouting assignment.  the competition  has already started so that should not be the issue, I also had this problem with the 2022 world cup where it didn't show up in the scouting thingy. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Also I am managing United and have the whole world available to scout.

Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 17.18.33.png

Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 17.18.58.png

Edited by danielfreyrg

1 hour ago, 2feet said:

Slightly too much ball bobbling?

When a winger does a long dribble down the flank, every single touch is a ball bobble.... seems a little bit too much.

A few bobbles yes, but then also have some touches where the ball stays flat on the ground.

It seems like they do it on purpose, when they introduce something new to the ME. 

Remember a few years ago when they added curved balls? All you could see back then were balls being curved by every player out there, it was so annoying.

I know its beta and its a new version and there are a few new tactic options, but I am struggling to keep a clean sheet. 

Every game I concede a goal and most goals are coming from mistakes of my defenders..

Is there any problem with signing players ???

I'm negotiating terms with the player's agent, and he keeps asking for any modification of terms / promesses to make the offer more attractive, so it's impossible to advance to the contract offer.

Edited by pedrosantos

So now that I've played more, I've started noticing certain annoying things in the ME.

There are too many balls over the top that result in goals. My striker is on 42 goals, and I still have like 7-8 games left in the season.

Too many shots get blocked, then the ball travels in the air for what seems like an eternity, until the GK catches it.

Also, not sure if squad planner is bugged or not. I tried removing a player from a position, but he seems to return there after some time, so I have to remove the player again.

Edited by (sic)

6 hours ago, FM1000 said:

* One on ones - they do not feel like better scoring opportunities then other types of chances created. Only other play which should have better rate of conversion than one on one is a tap in or a penalty but that is not the case in the ME, it feels like a long shot and one on one are almost the same difficulty shoot.

Because the game generates so many one on ones. Conversion rate has to be low to prevent games being 6-6 every game.

I still don't know if I should buy the game...

I read comments saying that there are many more dribbles, that the IF/IW cut inside with the ball much more than in FM22...

But I don't see those plays in the videos I've seen from the BETA and I read other comments saying that the ME is similar to FM22 and that IF/IW don't make plays driving into the box like they did in FM21.

Can someone explain to me better the behavior, dribbling, trends... Of IF/IW in FM23 and if there is an appreciable change compared to FM22? I would appreciate it because for me is important to decide whether to buy the game.

4 minutes ago, david_kax said:

I read comments saying that there are many more dribbles, that the IF/IW cut inside with the ball much more than in FM22...

But I don't see those plays in the videos I've seen from the BETA and I read other comments saying that the ME is similar to FM22 and that IF/IW don't make plays driving into the box like they did in FM21.

Can someone explain to me better the behavior, dribbling, trends... Of IF/IW in FM23 and if there is an appreciable change compared to FM22? I would appreciate it because for me is important to decide whether to buy the game.

There are a lot more dribbling and from the IF/IW but not enough in my opinion 

5 minutes ago, david_kax said:

I'd say wait for the demo before you buy, there's usually one at launch so you can see for yourself 

5 hours ago, andu1 said:

I feel some of the formations that were removed for the AI in the game should be re-added. 4-4-1-1, 4-1-4-1... 5-4-1. I mean these formations are standard in today's football.

I mean all formations without a DM have been removed except for 4-4-2 which is a bit too much...

Has anyone offered more insight into why this was done?

11 minutes ago, david_kax said:

I don't know if I'd say there are more dribbles but you can definitely tell whether the player on the ball is actually any good at dribbling. The new animations work very good. I've only plaid 16 games so far, but I am yet to find anything about the ME that annoys me or is obviously wrong and immersion-breaking (apart a bug here or there, obviously - beta). Generally, I'd say the current ME is at least as good as FM22, probably better and it has huge potential. It definitely feels more like a football than 22.

As for IF/IW - I don't know. I love a winger cutting in, but they really didn't do anything in 22. I found out that playing with 3 strikers and 2 of them being Trequartistas actually works like I intended to, so currently I'm trying that in 23 and it's been working so far.

Oh, also, outside the ME, it feels like basically the same game.

So yeah, I'd say wait for the demo if you can to decide yourself if it is worth the price.

First impressions after getting a copy today

• Player of the week is nice feature
  • Supporters confidence doesn't seem to have any influence just another tab/screen to check on once in a while right next to club vision
  • Squad planner lacks depth and any flexiblity, just seems like an scouting extension
  • M.E - Keepers are more realistic, strikers touches and finishing is more realistic, the match doesn't feel like it's on rails and players move fluidly. defensive midfielders take time on the ball to control tempo and actually shield the defence and all round flow of the game is fantastic
  • Al transfers are are still a mess to the point it's very difficult to sign players even if they are coming from low reputation club they will not enter negotiations
  • There doesn't seem to be a huge change in attributes

The match engine is the saving grace, if I paid full price for it I'd be livid because this could easily have been a dlc.

Edited by Ferocious289

6 minutes ago, Obaaa said:

Because the game generates so many one on ones. Conversion rate has to be low to prevent games being 6-6 every game.

I feel like i've read this same comment chain for 13 years now hah.

Would love to spend a day behind the scenes at SIGames to understand how they manipulate all the match engine calculations under the hood to get the outcome they want.

It would be a good wake up call as while I know rationally that AI is incredibly complicated to program, in my very simple head I still think of it as them just tweaking sliders labelled 'ONE ON ONE CONVERSION RATE' and 'FREQUENCY OF LONG-BALLS' 

But yes, lack of central play, tendency to go wide, inability to deal with balls over the top, and poor 1v1 conversion have all been hallmarks of the series for a number of years now so assume it isn't an easy fix. 

2 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

I feel like i've read this same comment chain for 13 years now hah.

Would love to spend a day behind the scenes at SIGames to understand how they manipulate all the match engine calculations under the hood to get the outcome they want.

It would be a good wake up call as while I know rationally that AI is incredibly complicated to program, in my very simple head I still think of it as them just tweaking sliders labelled 'ONE ON ONE CONVERSION RATE' and 'FREQUENCY OF LONG-BALLS' 

But yes, lack of central play, tendency to go wide, inability to deal with balls over the top, and poor 1v1 conversion have all been hallmarks of the series for a number of years now so assume it isn't an easy fix. 

What about player attributes?