*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hovis Dexter said:

This is a really important post that I must admit I have not previously considered. Get further forward, switch the ball to the opposite flank, pass it shorter / longer  etc etc … just do what you’re told!!

I definitely think traits like those should work like Positions, where over time increased familiarity means greater proficiency

5 hours ago, b.sinisa said:

Still no answer about no folder in My Documents and when adding graphics not showing in game

You said in your previous post there was no Football Manager 2023 folder in Documents. There won't be. It's:

"documents/sports interactive/football manager 2023"

4 hours ago, unitedstian said:

One thing I wish they would look at is PPMs. If I want a player to switch the ball to the other flank I shouldn't have to wait 6 months for him to start doing it, or even worse, still not being able to. Imagine that in real life: "Sorry boss I just dont know how to stop hugging the touchline, its like a magnet"

If it was so easy wouldn't every player have perfect positioning? And know exactly when to switch the ball? 

I don't think it's just literally learning how to kick the ball to the opposite side of the pitch but how to do it at the right moment, with the correct accuracy so that it isn't intercepted. 

Enjoying this game, but not as much as i thought i would. Every version just seems like a 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 (and thats every year that passes)

Ive played this game since 1996/97. It has progressed so much since then (bar SI removing some quality features, ie: when the ball was in a certain area, you could place players you wanted there, but that was CM2 i think!?1?) 

I feel the alpha testers are too focused on the wrong places... they are so focused on a 'current issue' that they lose focus on the whole gameplay.

Im suprised people like Zealand, 2nd Yellow card and other youtubers dedicating themselves to FM, are not given access really really early!!

They are our voice. We want better set pieces (top clubs score goals through set pieces). Creating personalities within this game, entails more freedom outside of it

The more SI concertrate on graphics and releasing on other platforms... the more they are dilluting the simulation experience for the hardcore user

I am enjoying the game, but the more i play, the more i can see how powerless i am when trying to communicate with the players i want to fit into my tactic

Why cant i tell my left back to just 'run the wings' and 'act like a fake winger'

Why cant i tell me centre mid, 'you cover the left back when he pushes forward'

Why cant i tell my centre-back to 'work with the centre mid' because the left back is doing the job of a 'fake winger'

Why can't i tell my full-backs to 'only go forward, when the other is defo staying back'

It feels too 'computer language' and not natural enough

If SI really wanted to help, they would input 'Conversations' with players, instead of 'shouts' and affecting 'feelings'

Its come to a point where SI should take a couple years off and just release data updates, while they work on the engine and personality of FM, because every release feels to me like a beta..... all year long patch updates

I would easily volunteer to be a alpha tester, but the excuse would be, 'you dont work the forums enough'.... but as i said before.... we have dedicated youtube personlaities that dont even test the alpha alpha, until just before the beta...

Rant over!!

2 hours ago, Häynted said:

image.thumb.png.f8a28b2fb9d1fd15bfa2d81671281664.png
The same issue of bad scaling is very much present in FM2023. The team selection screen, for unknown reason remains capped to a post stamp sized window.

I've raised this for the past 3 years I haven't ever recieved a proper answer why the UI could not scale properly based on resolution here.

The UI needs a rewrite I feel, it’s not very flexible for large format monitors especially. 

2 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

The UI needs a rewrite I feel, it’s not very flexible for large format monitors especially. 

I feel the same... it feels very static.... even setting up players in a formation, you are limited to a 'boxes'. When i watch analyst programmes, you can see how they place the players and the movement that do... its so free. I think FM should make every 'box' flexible. For a game to be able to give us so much data, we are limited on how to read it. Perfect example: trying to sign a coach, you have to make note on a notepad, outside the game, to remember what sort of coach you need.... why cant we just have it infront of us, if we needed, as an option. Too static!!

Here is the average position of my players in possession.

I use a 4231 DM formation, it becomes a sort of 343 in possession and I noticed it seems easier to create a real back 3 with a FB on defend duty which is really nice.

The wingers seem a bit too high when played as IW or IF (AML is a IF(s)) but apparently for a simple winger it's okay. AMC is a bit too high at times too (he's played as a Trequartista but I had the same conclusion when I tested him as a AM on support)

image.thumb.png.c110dde7430ef4ed7732eae9928887a2.png

Edited by sonnevillejr

Played about a dozen matches now - half pre-season friendlies, half competitive games. So far...

This is the best version of the game ever... not perfect, but the best so far. Love the new UI colour scheme; in-match graphics look more like real football than ever; more and different ways to score; better variety in defensive plays.

Haven't played long enough to see a difference in AI squad building, but have seen positive improvements in transfer dealings both in- and out-going.

With regard to common complaints so far, I have seen a total of one penalty awarded in 12 games; one red card; and one goal conceded from a GK hoof that carried beyond my defensive line. Out of a first-team squad of 25 I have 8 players out with long-term injuries so I'm certainly not feeling that injuries have been toned down too far.

The game is probably a little too easy right now, but I can't remember the last time the beta wasn't easy, only to become much more difficult on full release... be careful what you wish for!

Colour me a very happy customer... thanks SI!

2 hours ago, Lempicka said:

I know it's just cosmetic, but some of the floodlight pylons in the smaller stadiums are a mess. Just the one floodlight at Orient's Brisbane Road.

image.thumb.png.105200cb4f6e3be3d3aae7444e97e028.png

Plus lights on the stands ? 

“Trap outside asks the team to set a pressing trap designed to funnel the ball into wide areas, where the opposition have fewer options with the ball, and are more likely to concede possession.”

Does this mean the trap is set inside central areas so that the ball ends up being funnelled out wide by the opposition in an effort to save possession??

If so then shouldn't it be called 'Set traps inside'?

Edited by 2feet

22 minuti fa, 2feet ha scritto:

“Trap outside asks the team to set a pressing trap designed to funnel the ball into wide areas, where the opposition have fewer options with the ball, and are more likely to concede possession.”

Does this mean the trap is set inside central areas so that the ball ends up being funnelled out wide by the opposition in an effort to save possession??

It means your team will block passing lanes into the central corridor inviting the opposition to play wide. A wide pass triggers a pressing trap on the flank and your players will move aggressively to close down anyone on that flank. 

central pressing trap is less conventional since you invite the opposition into the central corridor which is more dangerous place (the opposition has 360 degrees of passing options compared to 180 on the flank). it is usually used when you have more players in the center of the pitch (i.e. any combination of at least 3 cm/dm/am players)

55 minutes ago, Kloppy said:

Who are these two? 300m players lol

833312182_Screenshot2022-10-22at01_44_50.thumb.png.dbfc8f845c768b4f9e0548fd0da6bae2.png

Possibly a reputation error. My FM22 game had a Jamaican manager named Donovan Dickie given too high a reputation and he ended up managing in the Championship. Can you see their stats?

Report it in the relevant player errors thread...if they look too good. They can investigate them.

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-early-access-beta-bugs-tracker/database-and-research/north-america-data-issues/

Can't think why else it would pick those players up.

27 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

It means your team will block passing lanes into the central corridor inviting the opposition to play wide. A wide pass triggers a pressing trap on the flank and your players will move aggressively to close down anyone on that flank. 

central pressing trap is less conventional since you invite the opposition into the central corridor which is more dangerous place (the opposition has 360 degrees of passing options compared to 180 on the flank). it is usually used when you have more players in the center of the pitch (i.e. any combination of at least 3 cm/dm/am players)

But the description says the trap funnels the ball into wide areas.

It doesn't say they first block central passing lanes and then the ball is played wide and then the trap is set wide.

The trap has already been set and that is the reason the ball ends up going wide.

Edited by 2feet

17 minutes ago, 2feet said:

But the description says the trap funnels the ball into wide areas.

It doesn't say they first block central passing lanes and then the ball is played wide and then the trap is set wide.

The trap has already been set and that is the reason the ball ends up going wide.

You trap the opponents wide. As in you force them there

FM is unique in that the ME is so complicated to fix. Usually it takes until March for them to make meaningful change to the ME. That's why it seems to me it needs an invite only alpha phase of the ME.

The ME is so close to being excellent, for the first time, the feel of a real football match is there. But I think either they are already aware of the long ball, long shots and lack of central play and are attempting to fix before release, or their own testing just isn't enough to continuously pick up on potentially immersion breaking bugs.

Maybe an invite only Alpha already exists and we just don't know about it, but whatever testing is being done at the moment before release is clearly not pointing out some very very obvious and glaring issues. Hope it's something they will address at release, but I've seen plenty of evidence it takes them till the march update to fix the ME.

If that happens, I would be gutted because apart from these issues, it really does behave like  a real football broadcast for the first time.

Let's hope for a release fix.

Love the color scheme and the game. I dont want it to change too much every year as then it would not be the same game, and learning too much new things takes too much time and hustle. Just had a fun win where a 0-1 lead was turned to 2-1 in last minutes with 9 men!!

5 hours ago, Lempicka said:

I know it's just cosmetic, but some of the floodlight pylons in the smaller stadiums are a mess. Just the one floodlight at Orient's Brisbane Road.

image.thumb.png.105200cb4f6e3be3d3aae7444e97e028.png

And the oversized tunnels still in the game. surely it can't be that difficult to resolve

Sunderland v Coventry.pkm

Here is my first game and 2 major Goalkeeping errors resulting in goals against Coventry which was a pleasent suprise as i had not seen it before . Before the game i had noticed this was a con against Coventry that their goalkeeping was not the best but never expected him to let 2 goals in . 

6 hours ago, youngs15 said:

I'm so disappointed that:

• the set piece editor hasn't changed. It takes soooo long to set up every routine, then a formation change mid-match means you have to change them all again
  • international management is still lacking very basic features, such as dynamics, player interactions and training. A real missed opportunity given the actual World Cup is so soon after the game's release (putting my tin-foil hat on, I think the new UEFA licence (club competitions only, remember) meant SI didn't want to divert attention away from that by getting us all hyped about doing a FIFA World Cup with updated international management features)

yes, I hope the DEVELOPERS realize that every injury and substitution requires a complete readjustment of ALL set-piece routines! It's an extremely tiresome and time-consuming process no casual player can be expected to endure over prolonged periods of time.. If the developers were to suffer through it as much as we, surely they would understand that something must be done about it..

2 hours ago, rusty217 said:

A bit disappointed to see AI transfer logic hasn't been improved. The top 2 transfers in my save were both only bought to be backups. PSG bought a Brazilian newgen for 105m and the majority of his games have been sub appearances. City splashed 129m on Moukoko just to have him as 2nd (or 3rd?) choice to Haaland. In 7 years at the club Moukoko has never started 10 or more games in a season (all competitions). It's just completely unrealistic to sign a backup player for 100m+. Even PSG and City with all their cash don't do that.

AI teams also still don't seem to recognise how much. Flamengo bought a newgen for a massive 105m, he had 3 great seasons there and then they sold him to Tottenham for only 58m. That'd never happen IRL. A team wouldn't sell a player for half what they paid for him unless he was a flop (he had consistently high ratings), or he had gotten old (was only 26 when they sold him). Looking at Brazilian transfers it seems to be pretty common actually. Teams sell players for 1/2 or even 1/3 what they paid for them after just 1 or 2 seasons. They have the money for big transfers, but the players just being in Brazil means they don't value them highly enough and they end up just being bargains for other teams.

Seen the same, I would say its worse than last year as I never seen moves like that, but I also did play with transfer preferences so Im sure that had some effect.

When a player score, under the goal scorer is showed the assist man. before the name of the assist man is written "Asst". i think u should add the remaining letters.
it is better to view and read.

Maybe u can add the "shoes icon" instead of the number when someone make an assist on "Stats of *team name*"

7 hours ago, youngs15 said:

I'm so disappointed that:

• the set piece editor hasn't changed. It takes soooo long to set up every routine, then a formation change mid-match means you have to change them all again
  • international management is still lacking very basic features, such as dynamics, player interactions and training. A real missed opportunity given the actual World Cup is so soon after the game's release (putting my tin-foil hat on, I think the new UEFA licence (club competitions only, remember) meant SI didn't want to divert attention away from that by getting us all hyped about doing a FIFA World Cup with updated international management features)

I think the reason they have not touched set pieces is because if you give players too much freedom with it, the chances to find exploits increases. I think they are scared to touch it

My feedback/impressions after a couple of hours playing:

1) Match Engine (note for some: this does not mean graphics)

It is truly an improvement. The way the players move and stop and turn the other way, or shoot, or pass. It is a mix of more fluidity, more chaos, and sheer beauty of shots and passes and moves. Thumbs up. 

2) Squad Planner

It is basically an evolution from the squad depth screen in previous versions. But, for me, it is much more user friendly and visual. In Pre-Season i really use it constantly to move my players around, add potential new signings and see how the squad would look like by designating the players to their respective positions with their rank. The tabs for next season and season after let's you very quickly see what you need to focus on in the future. It also includes my 2nd team or youth players which let's me quickly discover who the future potentials could be. Several times i was like, who is that player and it is some youth on loan somewhere and now i already know 2 seasons from now he will be a major player in that position. There's much more potential to this feature but it is already very helpful. Thumbs up.

3) Scouting

Finally, I can scout. I feel bad for my Chief Scout. At least he can send me reports. But the assignments/focus area, it's mine. My prescious. Really much more user friendly, focused, understandable, logical. Thumbs up. 

4) Fans

I haven't gotten far, so this, has had no impact so far. It's another group telling me what they expect. It's nice to see the breakdown of the fans and how much sway they have on the board. Undecided at this point. 

5) Agents

It's good to get a feel of what the player will want. And you get to negotiate already. I say I am interested and the agent tells me they looking for X amount of wages and i go back and say, hey we like him but you know we can't afford these wages, can we do something about it? And he comes back with a lower amount. It let's you get a quick feel of where you stand with the player and if it's affordable with some minor digging. Half thumbs up.

6) Tactics tweaks/additions

Too early to tell. Being able to set low block etc. is a good addition. Undecided.

Overall, especially due to the match engine changes and the squad planner I would not go back to previous versions.