Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

12 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

On the second bolded bit I think it matters, because saying the royal family have historic links to the Nazis is different to making an offensive salute gesture. If two people in the crowd are pictured doing a Nazi salute there is no way of distinguishing if it's satire or Nazi support. There needs to be a forum for context before you can use context as justification.

I think when it's done during a minutes silence it's relatively clear, especially when you've joked about it first on twitter. Again, I don't think people misinterpreting the meaning of your meaning is grounds for things like banning orders to be handed out.

Grounds for calling it a crap joke, poorly thought-out, disrespectful etc. absolutely. It's not an area the law should be involved in though. 

Surely most of why yelling 'nonce' in a crowd isn't as legally fraught as the recorded or printed media is the practicality of proving you said it, that is was aimed at a given person etc rather than the freedom to yell unproven accusations about people.

Again, substitute in a legally cleared version of the accusation and the argument doesn't change. People can still be triggered or upset by things that don't leave you open to liable.

I don't think the Nazi thing falls under this category anyway though, the royals links to the Nazi party aren't a subject of contention and I'd assume you can parody that pretty safely, bad or otherwise. If you think there's a legal argument that it's illegal for slander then I'm not really qualified to give an informed opinion on it any more than I have.  

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bigwig said:

McDonald's is to close all of its UK restaurants on Monday 19 September, as a mark of respect to Queen Elizabeth II on the day of her funeral.

Too bad they open again the 20th.

4 hours ago, Bigwig said:

McDonald's is to close all of its UK restaurants on Monday 19 September, as a mark of respect to Queen Elizabeth II on the day of her funeral.

They must of changed their minds since Monday because my wife said when she visited a Mcdonalds on Monday all the staff were fuming as they'd been told they'd be working next Monday. 

13 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Pretty accurate right now at this point.

Or indeed at any point...

But ordinary things such as barbecuing are held to become absolutely extraordinary when royals do them. In his wonderful Princess Margaret book, Craig Brown quotes one royal biographer typical of their genre. “The Queen and Prince Philip drove themselves to the polo ground. Philip drove a station wagon, the Queen her favourite Rover. Sometimes, instead of changing into polo gear at the castle, Prince Philip was seen changing, quite uncomfortably, in his automobile, sitting sideways, pulling his breeches on. Then –” Then?! Then what? This had better be fricking incredible. “Then he would stand up and fasten the belt … ” We’ll leave it there for space reasons. The point is: can you imagine this passage of almost mesmeric dullness appearing in a biography of anyone else famous on the entire planet, except for a member of the royal family?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/13/prince-philip-tributes-duke-nation

Saw the Rangers fans tribute. Anyone else find it weird that when singing the national anthem for a tribute to the Queen people sing the new anthem which is God Save The King instead?

Obviously I’m not bothered in the slightest but felt a bit jarring when I saw it. Sort of feels like to me the tribute ones should have people singing God Save The Queen a few last times rather than about Charles? 

2 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Saw the Rangers fans tribute. Anyone else find it weird that when singing the national anthem for a tribute to the Queen people sing the new anthem which is God Save The King instead?

Obviously I’m not bothered in the slightest but felt a bit jarring when I saw it. Sort of feels like to me the tribute ones should have people singing God Save The Queen a few last times rather than about Charles? 

Tend to agree for the tributes 

Although I think she’s past saving even for god

My friend is queuing with his mother (to accompany her rather than out of choice) in the accessibility queue and it sounds like a shambles. Their slot was 8pm-9pm, so they've been queueing two hours. The point of the accessibility queue is it was for people who couldn't queue for long periods. My friends mother is OK, but some of people with walking frames and walking sticks are in visible pain and getting really upset due to that. Tempers are getting frayed with the police and attendants (well as frayed as a queue full of disabled and elderly middle class people can get). It sounds like a right balls-up.

48 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

The Queen is dead. Long live the King

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, decapitated said:

My friend is queuing with his mother (to accompany her rather than out of choice) in the accessibility queue and it sounds like a shambles. Their slot was 8pm-9pm, so they've been queueing two hours. The point of the accessibility queue is it was for people who couldn't queue for long periods. My friends mother is OK, but some of people with walking frames and walking sticks are in visible pain and getting really upset due to that. Tempers are getting frayed with the police and attendants (well as frayed as a queue full of disabled and elderly middle class people can get). It sounds like a right balls-up.

Sounds awful. I’m just a bit perplexed by the whole thing with the queues. I’d understand it more if you could actually see her, but you’re just walking past a coffin. I understand being there to witness the procession and things like that, just not queueing to walk past a coffin. 

21 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Sounds awful. I’m just a bit perplexed by the whole thing with the queues. I’d understand it more if you could actually see her, but you’re just walking past a coffin. I understand being there to witness the procession and things like that, just not queueing to walk past a coffin. 

I could ‘sort of’ understand it, for the feeling / emotion / historical moment of it, IF you could walk straight in, have a mooch and go, but **** queuing for hours and hours to do it. The BBC are streaming it, (there was over 20k watching that earlier!) surely thats better than standing in a queue for 24 hours

• Administrators
1 minute ago, SouthCoastRed said:

I could ‘sort of’ understand it, for the feeling / emotion / historical moment of it, IF you could walk straight in, have a mooch and go, but **** queuing for hours and hours to do it. The BBC are streaming it, (there was over 20k watching that earlier!) surely thats better than standing in a queue for 24 hours

The BBC streaming it reminds me of the Big Brother 24 hour live streams where you’d just watch them sleeping. 

But it seems very underwhelming to me. I’d half expect to be able to see her physically. The conspiracist in me reckons she’s might not be in the coffin. 

• Administrators

The saddest part to me I’ve seen, is all the people in the crowds recording with their phones, when there’s already footage being filmed at much better quality than their phones :D 

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The saddest part to me I’ve seen, is all the people in the crowds recording with their phones, when there’s already footage being filmed at much better quality than their phones :D 

And then you actually miss the event because you're staring at your own phone. Baffling

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Deltaroad said:

I thought that too. Is it even right that a body is left in a room temperature place like that?  Don't they normally keep it chilled to stop any stench?

It could be a tower fridge with the flag draped over it. Maybe there’s a plug under the coffin. 

But seriously, no idea. 

6 minutes ago, Deltaroad said:

I thought that too. Is it even right that a body is left in a room temperature place like that?  Don't they normally keep it chilled to stop any stench?

She’ll have been embalmed to the max, be like a Madam Tussaud's dummy, or Prince Andrew

It's really rather amusing me to watch the anti-royals lose their sanity as this royal business continues. This is especially so on twitter where they have devised a rather cunning and witty hashtag of #mournhub.

I am all for free speech and having an opinion. I'm not massively pro-royal myself but I did find last week a bit numbing. I've speculated some of those reasons before so won't go there again. I've since come to realise that the serious anti-Britishness of the Internet annoyed me and made me more determined to think more highly of the current royals. Yeah, history is sh*t, but it's not like we can change it. It wasn't just little old Britain either. 

It just surprises me how unable to cope with anything like this the younger generation (sure it's mostly them) are and how easily they lose their collective rags at something as small as a shop being closed for a day.

Many of them posting by the hour on how pissed off they all are with this, how they despise this nation's imperial history or the royals, or how they are certain people need to get a collective grip and stop being #mournhub.

Lord knows what they'll all do if we have power cuts this winter like the ones we learnt to live with 40 or so years ago.

Get a grip, twitter. 😂

1 hour ago, anagain said:

I've since come to realise that the serious anti-Britishness of the Internet annoyed me and made me more determined to think more highly of the current royals. Yeah, history is sh*t, but it's not like we can change it. It wasn't just little old Britain either. 

It just surprises me how unable to cope with anything like this the younger generation (sure it's mostly them) are and how easily they lose their collective rags at something as small as a shop being closed for a day.

Many of them posting by the hour on how pissed off they all are with this, how they despise this nation's imperial history or the royals, or how they are certain people need to get a collective grip and stop being #mournhub.

Lord knows what they'll all do if we have power cuts this winter like the ones we learnt to live with 40 or so years ago.

Get a grip, twitter. 😂

Are you not the same guy who argued dwarves couldn't be black cos they don't get sunlight for melanin? 

If so, this ridiculous post takes on further hilarity through the hypocrisy 

3 minutes ago, Christmas said:

Are you not the same guy who argued dwarves couldn't be black cos they don't get sunlight for melanin? 

If so, this ridiculous post takes on further hilarity through the hypocrisy 

I didn't argue it, I asked a question here that I've seen asked elsewhere. 

Not sure what that has got to do with anything I have said here though. Just another case of someone not willing to accept another point of view so deviates to belittle the other point.

This is a once in a lifetime event and people act like the world is crumbling.

I may be old, and I'll accept that and laugh at it, but the way people overreact is strange. 

2 hours ago, anagain said:

It's absolutely incredible how lacking in self-awareness the older generations are.

17 minutes ago, anagain said:

I may be old, and I'll accept that and laugh at it, but the way people overreact is strange. 

Overreaction posts are difficult because now I'm overreacting to your overreacting, but in my view the true over reaction is shutting down the country, turning off supermarket beeps, queueing for a day to see a fetid box, and moaning about the skin colour of fictional dwarves.

I don't see how raising questions about that collective, competitive, madness and questioning the objectively repugnant concept of monarchy or their entrenched systems of wealth retention is an overreaction, but that's perhaps subjective. 

26 minutes ago, anagain said:

I didn't argue it, I asked a question here that I've seen asked elsewhere. 

Not sure what that has got to do with anything I have said here though. Just another case of someone not willing to accept another point of view so deviates to belittle the other point.

This is a once in a lifetime event and people act like the world is crumbling.

It's ironic you talk of belittling, while generalising and belittling a) an entire generation and b) people put out by this. 

I assume you're aware that thousands have had surgeries and medical procedures cancelled as a result, and even funerals postponed. Things that are clearly important and matter to them. 

It's extremely telling that you sweep anyone grumbling about it as anti royal, it's anti British. Incredibly narrow minded to be brutally honest 

10 minutes ago, foolsgold said:

And to respond to the actual point, no one is 'losing their collective rag'. People just don't enjoy being forced into 'mourning' for someone they've never met. If you'd like to mourn, by all means, go ahead, pay your respects that's no problem.

On a less important level, there are absolutely elements of it being forced on you. ITV displaying the funeral all day long, without adverts, that's fair enough. But nothing says freedom of thought like having the exact same thing also broadcast non-stop on ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITV4, ITVBe and ITV Hub. I know it's not the same thing, but it's the sort of thing we'd mock North Korea for :D

But on a more serious note, people have lives to lead. Businesses will close in a cost of living crisis. Cancelled appointments in the NHS mean that it is almost a categorical fact that there will be deaths as a consequence. People who have worked hard year-round for a holiday are now forced to miss out on part of it and stay in their accommodation. These are genuine impacts that could hurt people, and something people are totally justified in being hacked off with.

I'm not even anti-royal, but at least these moaners you mention are free thinking and not just following the directive of what you must do. Trying to siphon this into a 'younger generation are snowflakes' type argument is very rich, considering how some of the older generations behave. And it's probably a lot easier to be pro-establishment when you're not part of a generation where the state actively tries to make things as difficult as possible at every facet of your life.

I really want to highlight the NHS treatments being cancelled. THIS WILL ABSOLUTELY KILL SOME OF THE PEOPLE INVOLVED. So for someone to shrug this off as mere moaning, is beyond the pale personally 

34 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Charlie has now called for minimum disruption on this stuff himself too.

That's what I proposed a few days ago and was met with angry suggestions both that he couldn't do so as he would have had no power, and that he couldn't do so as he must exercise no power. 

Sadly for Charles, this is too little too late in my book