[FM 22] Teams to manage

steevo55

Less than one month before the release of FM 22, that means less than 2 weeks before the Beta.

It's time to discuss of teams who wanna play in the next opus. Personally, for the beta, it will be RB Leipzig : Upamecano, Konaté and Sabitzer out / Simakan, Silva, Moriba and Brobbey in. Still a load of future stars players Szoboszlai, Olmo, Gvardiol, Angeliño and Nkunku (who will receive a serious upgrade as he is the best player of the team since one and an half year). Adeyemi must be one to keep an eye on.

I'll maybe let Leipzig save for the full release and go with Barcelona on the beta to test the new match engine and tactic revamp.

I don't know how the financial situation will be replicate in the game but it will be interesting to build the new Barcelona :

- Build on Garcia, Dest, F. De Jong, Gavi, Pedri and Fati

- Make big sales with the old declining stars and undesirables players to lower the total payroll : Piqué, Umtiti, Lenglet, Alba, Busquets, Coutinho, Dembélé, Aguero, Braithwaite, L. De Jong

- Bring some young quality players : Haaland/Isak/Vlahovic, De Ligt, Rodrygo and Vinicius Junior, Kulusevski/Reyna and mostly the come back of Olmo and Moriba

- Give masia players opportunity to play with first team for rotation

Can be fun for a short/middle save

Edited by steevo55

Royale Union Saint-Gilloise in the Belgian top flight. The third most successful Belgian side ever for title wins, all several decades ago. Promoted to the top division last season for the first time in nearly fifty years, currently sitting top. 

Same owners as Brighton too so may be an affiliate club. 

Edited by dothestrand

Man Utd will be my first save, it will just be a fun save. My main save this year will be either Bayer Leverkusen or Kaiserslaurten. I definitely want to manage in Germany for the first time. Leverkusen are my favourite German team, and Kaiserslautern are a bit of a sleeping giant, tough choice for me.

Thinking about it, I reckon I'll go with Leverkusen. As I said, they are my favourite German team and also unbelievably have never won the Bundesliga! That's insane considering the length of time they've been in the division. It would be good to bring success to them. Kaiserslautern have had their success :p

Edited by Gee_Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

I finally start a save with Fiorentina. I love colors of the club and the Serbian duo Milenković / Vlahović is really promising.

A really incredible first season, only one player incoming for the first transfer window : Ahmedhodzić.

Let's go fo the tranfers, I decided to recruit only Italians or ex-balkans players.

Capture d’écran 2021-11-06 à 10.11.51.png

10 hours ago, steevo55 said:

I finally start a save with Fiorentina. I love colors of the club and the Serbian duo Milenković / Vlahović is really promising.

A really incredible first season, only one player incoming for the first transfer window : Ahmedhodzić.

Let's go fo the tranfers, I decided to recruit only Italians or ex-balkans players.

Capture d’écran 2021-11-06 à 10.11.51.png

Wow impressive season mate. What formation were you using? 

For all my good intentions I always struggle to get beyond my annual Chelsea save.

However I might put that on the backburner as there are two teams that really stand out for me this year.

Parma have always been my favourite Italian club going back to the glory days of the late 90's and Werder Bremen were my late grandad's team after living nearby in Germany for around 30 years.

Both teams were relegated last season so offer the nice challenge of first getting promoted, and then re-establishing in the top league before hopefully kicking on further.

On 15/11/2021 at 08:19, 3rik said:

What teams are the most interesting in the Championship or League 1 this year? Finding myself drawn against the English top divisions to try out the game.

I don't know about the actual team, but I like the idea of Bristol City. Large city, but have never had a team in the Premier League, Haven't been to the top division since 1980.

On 15/11/2021 at 08:19, 3rik said:

What teams are the most interesting in the Championship or League 1 this year? Finding myself drawn against the English top divisions to try out the game.

Nottingham Forest thats it or Derby that starts with 12 minus points. I think Forest are very exciting and a former sleeping giant. They got a great squad and you have a great chance of making the playoffs :thup: Even if you go up there are so many things to improve - The stadium is old and the facilities are not very good so many things to work on

For me my 4 main saves will probably be:

Sunderland: Home town club who I have a save with every year

Zenit St Petersburg: I try and have a save with them every year, one of my favorite cities that Ive visited

Roma/Lazio: For the same reason as Zenit, I love Rome but I usually try with Roma, may give Lazio a go this time

Dortmund: Mainly for the reason they have Haaland and I want to see what I can do with the squad when he inevitably goes.

Edited by Mackem742

I would like to start South America save from bottom. I have never played there and would love a challenge there. Reading Bielsa books also had effect on this.

Any recommends on database changes to download that would immerse more? And some lower league clubs with history for Argentina?

I started a game with Schalke, now in the second division in Germany, about 50m in debt, a squad of hastily assembled misfits as anyone good left on loans or permanently. I got promoted via the play offs and am looking to build a squad of young German and Austrian players. It helps Bayern have some good young players they will sell for peanuts and your youth system will pay dividends too. 

I just cant decide if I wanna play Witt Athletic Club or Racing Santander 🤔 

Had an amazing save last year with Athletic, but Santander also very exciting and with Pablo Torre a real star. If Im going to play With Athletic it’s a save with any Buys - a real own talents game and with Santander it’s mainly own talents in Santander and then build around with Young players from Portugal and France ! 

but who would you Pick? 😬

11 hours ago, ernemann said:

Had an amazing save last year with Athletic, but Santander also very exciting and with Pablo Torre a real star. If Im going to play With Athletic it’s a save with any Buys - a real own talents game and with Santander it’s mainly own talents in Santander and then build around with Young players from Portugal and France ! 

I find myself in a similar position. 90% of my saves are in the Italian football pyramid but I lost a couple of saves so want a fresh start. Racing are on my list as well as Rayo Vallecano the fact they are from Madrid and you could work towards overthrowing the city's 2 dominant teams is very tempting, they also signed Falcao who would be fun to try and get some goals out of. Next Valladolid who were relegated last season, owned by Brazilian legend Ronaldo would be fun to try and sign a young Brazilian striker who could take you to the very top. And finally Andorra build the Andorra regent up as you move through the divisions.

11 hours ago, ernemann said:

I'd pick Santander definitely.

44 minutes ago, WilsonJuve said:

I find myself in a similar position. 90% of my saves are in the Italian football pyramid but I lost a couple of saves so want a fresh start. Racing are on my list as well as Rayo Vallecano the fact they are from Madrid and you could work towards overthrowing the city's 2 dominant teams is very tempting, they also signed Falcao who would be fun to try and get some goals out of. Next Valladolid who were relegated last season, owned by Brazilian legend Ronaldo would be fun to try and sign a young Brazilian striker who could take you to the very top. And finally Andorra build the Andorra regent up as you move through the divisions.

And of those I would pick Valladolid for sure. I'd also do the same, buy (or at least loan with a hope to future buy) a Brazilian number 9 to fire goals for you.

Alongside my Palermo game, I have a Spanish game underway too. It's a top flight side - Valencia - but a bit of a rebuild project really where I want to improve finances and become more Spanish whilst fighting board expectations. I did some edits on league & club names as that always put me off with Spain, and even made my own 2d/3d kits which I am proud of as I never tried to make kits before (and surprisingly they work). Back at the turn of the century I was a big admirer of Valencia and watched lots of Spanish games, but have never managed them before.

By the way, if either of you want them, I found some kit packs right down to Primera & Segunda RFEF levels. If you do go ahead I can probably find the links for you to get the actual kits in your game. I used them as a base to get all other clubs kits in, and just edited and renamed my own club and a couple of others to include the ones I created myself.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

• 3 weeks later...

I picked Villareal. With a randomizer.. 

Teams that I found interesting:

• Kaiserslautern 
  • RSC Anderlecht
  • Villareal
  • Liefering 

All based on the excellent youth facilities they have. 

18 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

Not sure one can do much with them, they are like the reserve team of Salzburg and pretty sure they cant get promoted to first division.

Good thing the randomizer picked Villareal then... :lol:

• 1 month later...

Morning All,

I'm looking for a team that requires a 'rip it up and start again' approach, but one that doesn't have high expectations first season (Man Utd, Barca etc.).

The perfect example would be Everton. In a bit of financial mess, won't be expecting too much first season and with a lot of average/overpaid players. The problem is as a Liverpool fan, I can't bring myself to manage Everton.

I'm open to managing in any country and at any level, so all suggestions are welcome.

2 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

Morning All,

I'm looking for a team that requires a 'rip it up and start again' approach, but one that doesn't have high expectations first season (Man Utd, Barca etc.).

The perfect example would be Everton. In a bit of financial mess, won't be expecting too much first season and with a lot of average/overpaid players. The problem is as a Liverpool fan, I can't bring myself to manage Everton.

I'm open to managing in any country and at any level, so all suggestions are welcome.

Torino in Italy would be a fantastic choice. From 2013 to 2018 they were finishing an average 9th Position in the league which is very respectable. Yet there last two finishes have seen them narrowly avoid relegation finishing 16th and 17th just four points clear of the drop. Add to the fact your main man Belotti sometimes decides to leave on a free transfer in game you have a decision to make, sell him early and struggle on or keep him and lose him for nothing?  Historically there a fantastic club with an impressive 7 Serie A titles (last won in 1975) which puts them 7th on the all time list and ahead of other top clubs such as Roma, Fiorentina, Lazio and Napoil. 

To add to this your main and city rivals Juventus are the most successful club in the country. The chance to eventually stop there dominance and overthrow them as Serie A's top club just adds to the challenge.

• 1 month later...

I am starting my first save, after waiting for the patch.  Any suggestions.  Preferably European, not a champions league club, and preferably not below the second division unless there is a really interesting option there.  I had a fun save with Valerenga on FM2021, so I am open to saves outside big five leagues.  I also prefer teams with some kind of vaguely coherent strategy and tactical style. 

19 hours ago, Erratic Aspie said:

I am starting my first save, after waiting for the patch.  Any suggestions.  Preferably European, not a champions league club, and preferably not below the second division unless there is a really interesting option there.  I had a fun save with Valerenga on FM2021, so I am open to saves outside big five leagues.  I also prefer teams with some kind of vaguely coherent strategy and tactical style. 

Sassuolo, Le Havre, Vallodolid

19 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

I am looking to start a new save after taking a month off from the game. I'm struggling to choose between Tenerife, Fenerbahce and a save in the Netherlands. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. 

Netherlands is great as very little transfer restrictions.

On 25/02/2022 at 22:34, Ewan0404 said:

I am looking to start a new save after taking a month off from the game. I'm struggling to choose between Tenerife, Fenerbahce and a save in the Netherlands. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. 

I've just started as Fenerbahce after the winter update and it's an interesting one for sure. Massive club but no league title since 2014, all the best young Turkish talent is at Galatasaray or Besiktas and as such unattainable, and of course the huge debt (monthly payments of 625k for the next 20 years, so not completely unmanageable). It's a bit of a mess to sort out, and the board still expect us to win the title in the first season so the pressure is on immediately.