Match 19: Sweden v Slovakia, Live from St Petersburg on BBC One

Tikka Mezzala

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most entertaining part of this afternoon for me has been listening out for the various indie songs that the BBC play over their VTs and thinking, "Hey, I know that one!"

I reckon the Beeb will have gone through Wolf Alice's entire back catalogue by the time the Final comes around.

Sweden again looking to sit back and give the opponent the ball :rolleyes:. Now this is quite understandable against Spain, but against Slovakia it is quite embarrassing. Starting with Kulusevski and Claesson on the wings,  Isak up front and Forsberg behind him as an AMC, would already give the team much more creativity and attacking options. However, it seems that Sweden is unwilling to give that a go. Which is basically the same like every major tournament, when they are deliberately trying to play the most negative and defensive football they possibly can.   

From that perspective it would be great to see Sweden finish last in this group, but unfortunately that probably won't happen. 

1 minute ago, Glenn Wakeford said:

Why are we being subjected to this?

(Talking about Grealish singing, but could equally be this match.)

Only just got in and put it on so can kinda guess how bad the game is.

Have to say though its quite nice watching presenters being themselves for a change.

Missed most of the first 50-55 mins or so because I was doing a Uni assignment. I had the TV on so I could listen to the commentary but I don't think the commentators got excited even once. That too with Peter Drury being the main commentator. :D

Two nice saves since I started watching though.

Edited by Darius1998

Just now, CFuller said:

High praise indeed - and from the opposing team too.

Yeah she's good, and is excitable enough to counter-balance Danny Murphy who I like and has good things to say, but does always sound bored.

4 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Permutations master @Rob1981 will know better than me, but I think this result is terrible news for Poland, who now need a result against Spain.

Well deserved for Sweden though on this second half showing.

Yeah if it stays like this Poland are out if they lose to Spain. You would have Spain and Sweden on 4, Slovakia on 3, Poland on 0. And if Poland got up to 3 points on MD3 and finished level with Slovakia they would still be 4th on h2h record and unable to finish 3rd.

Edited by Rob1981

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah if it stays like this Poland are out if they lose to Spain. You would have Spain and Sweden on 4, Slovakia on 3, Poland on 0. And if Poland got up to 3 points so they were level with Slovakia they would still be 4th on h2h record and unable to finish 3rd.

And second placed team from group D plays against second from E, which is a way better prospect than 1D-2F.

Pretty awful first half, better second half from Sweden. Pretty impressive that it's so hard to score against us considering what players we actually have - a back four of Lustig, Danielsson, Lindelöf and Augustinsson isn't exactly awe inspiring. But I guess the tightly organised non-adventurous midfield helps. Will be very surprised if we make it past the first round after the group stage though.