Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, Christmas said:

My posting said I only raised it as an issue, although I would identify SI responded directly.

I am accept it would have been more helpful for me to have it it to be posted as a bug, but I dispute that for a bug of such an easy to replicate manner as this bugging it was required for to have been done so in order to have a legitimate expectation that it issue be fixed.

SI's response was essentially that it this bug be a design choice, in order to stop people going without jobs. I understand why they wouldn't want this, as then they would have to bear the complaints of the large number of users who don't really understand the game and would abuse Mr Jacobsen on twitter about not being able to find work. My view is that they can fix this by setting an auto rep level to minimum active league - rather than have clubs in EFL Championship offer jobs to Sunday league users. 

I think SI choose the easy route of fewer complaints from what I am calling the 'lay-people' users - at the expense of 'true' journeyman saves. That is their choice to make.

As a Sunday league level player with zero qualifications you wouldn't even get a level 6 or 7 job in England! So your "realistic" play id totally unrealistic to start with.

Just don't accept jobs you think are to big for your rep! Its really a none issue in a sandbox single player game as your complaint is essentially other people get to enjoy the game in a way I deem unacceptable! People I'll never fa e in the game or probably even interact with IRL.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok- it appears that this issue is working as intended after some input from previous years about difficulty in finding a job when unqualified.  It is a Catch 22 situation but the user can choose to reject or accept job offers as they see fit.

The disappointment of some users as to it's implementation will no doubt be noted but lets move on.

10 minutes ago, kiwityke said:

As a Sunday league level player with zero qualifications you wouldn't even get a level 6 or 7 job in England! So your "realistic" play id totally unrealistic to start with.

Just don't accept jobs you think are to big for your rep! Its really a none issue in a sandbox single player game as your complaint is essentially other people get to enjoy the game in a way I deem unacceptable! People I'll never fa e in the game or probably even interact with IRL.

We are in same circle pointless arguments as in the ME. One doesn't preclude the other. SI already have starting rep levels for to make quasi-difficulty levels (not true difficulty levels as game stays the same - just in terms of how your manager relates to it). 

Having a starting rep which doesn't see your human manager get offered silly big jobs early days doesn't stop anyone else playing how they want to play. They just have to chose a different starting rep. You are actually saying you want to be able to play the lowest rep and then have it be easy - encroaching on my enjoyment. My version doesn't encorach yours at all - just pick a different starting rep.

Yes SI don't need to title it Sunday league, for the reason you identifies. It's just a label. I don't care what label SI put on the starting rep I wish to be in game that will not see human get massive jobs too easy. Call it "mega unrealistic you wouldn't even get a job at this level you armchair idiot" for all I cares abouts it. Just make an option where I feel like I have 'earned' career progression through navigating the unrealistic in-game challenge of not getting sacked with a lowranking teams.

It isn't about 'realism' but about progression. Your idea of just turning down unrealistic jobs is not exact. Of course is Barcelone offer job is too unrealistic, turn down. What about League 2, League 1, Championship? It is hard to know what is 'realistic'. Also it is more complex than you say, due to interview promises and club-visions which are both excellent addittions to the game. I sense it is both of these which causes the problems identified in getting too big jobs, as you tick a box somewhere.

In short - my request a) doesn't actually trouble you like you think. and b) will never happen. I do not see why you are so offended by me nonetheless wishing it will happen

3 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Ok- it appears that this issue is working as intended after some input from previous years about difficulty in finding a job when unqualified.  It is a Catch 22 situation but the user can choose to reject or accept job offers as they see fit.

The disappointment of some users as to it's implementation will no doubt be noted but lets move on.

My final comment before moving on like you are asking me to do so.

There is no reason why a sensible tool to stop manager being unable to be offered any job, shuld see manager offered job at a very high level - in the same day as being rejected by clubs at very low level without even any interview.

I like club vision / interview promises, it is quite realistic a team would let a manager jump too high a level because they like his style. Like Cowley from Imps or coach Ian Cathro at heart of Midlothian. This is OK and is not source of my complaint. But in FM the jump is too big. 

I will move on for the next 4 hours, at which point I reserve my right to come back again to it.

I never actually said it troubles me at all because it really doesn't because I just accept jobs at the lowest possible league or jobs I think in my own head canon I could possibly be offered.

What does trouble me though way  way way more is the fact every year the game launches with the league in Asia places that aren't the UK not working properly in some way.

This year Arrows in India can't be relegated of course they got relegated even though it clearly says them and Delhi are ineligible on the rules page.

And the Continental qualifications is always always broken. This year even though I won the league last year its put the team that are top on January 1st 2022 into the Champs league (I holidayed ahead because I knew it would be broken somehow or another).

Its as if zero internal testing of this goes on at SI as this is the 3rd year straight this has happened in different leagues.

(I'm about to report both issues)

9 hours ago, sedge11 said:

You got to remember season 1 schedule is covid affected. Season starts later and is more congested, so if you have gone far in cups then very likely that will happen. 

Well congestions will happen, but no not like this with sat, tue, thu and cupfinal saturday again.

IRL the FA cup final is may 29th. Round 38 and 37 of PL are played 23rd and 15th. If a games get postponed then ofc there can be one placed between 15th and 23rd, but obviously not after 23rd. 

Again this has been a problem in all FM I can remember.  

Recruitment meetings are a great idea but as implemented are a waste of everybody's time.

They seem to take into account:

Squad depth

Current player abilities

Contract lengths

They don't take into account:

Board vision

League specific rules

Age of players

Budgets (wage and transfer)

Which leads to them giving you recommendations for players you absolutely can't sign for various reasons.

So my current save I have needed a keeper since day one I haven't signed one because they insist on offering me Brazilians I cant sign as they are out of my budget and I have all 3 none Asian foreigner slots filled. They never once offered me an Asian foreigner though that I could sign! Or an Indian for that matter either or if they did his current club didnt wanna sell him or wanted lots of money for him.

3 minutes ago, kiwityke said:

Recruitment meetings are a great idea but as implemented are a waste of everybody's time.

They seem to take into account:

Squad depth

Current player abilities

Contract lengths

They don't take into account:

Board vision

League specific rules

Age of players

Budgets (wage and transfer)

Which leads to them giving you recommendations for players you absolutely can't sign for various reasons.

So my current save I have needed a keeper since day one I haven't signed one because they insist on offering me Brazilians I cant sign as they are out of my budget and I have all 3 none Asian foreigner slots filled. They never once offered me an Asian foreigner though that I could sign! Or an Indian for that matter either or if they did his current club didnt wanna sell him or wanted lots of money for him.

As we always say- if this is not working correctly, please report it and let the developers have a look.

7 minutes ago, craiigman said:

At half time if you get to the tactics screen, is there a way to go back to the analysis screen? I can’t work out how if you can.

There isn't currently ways to move between some screens that I know of. I know for sure that if you move from team talk to tactics you can no longer go back to team talk. 

I don't have the game in front of me, but I think you go to team talk from the screen with analysis. It is probably the same situation as with team talks to tactics.

I have bugged not being able to go from tactics back to team talk.

It must be a lower priority issue though because it was discussed/bugged in beta and not changed. I am sure I saw a post from a dev that said it wasn't working as intended. 

My main feedback for the main release, is I'm not sure what they have changed in the ME, but seeing way too main last ditch blocked shots and too many trip style-penalties given.

On the beta I could get my team to do some lovely movement to create open chances, now always seems to be a defender there at the last second to block it.

I have no issue with the UI, except that not being bale to go back to the team talk page at HT when making a tactical change is stupid

The ME seems the same to me or at least it has not affected my team and tactic from the BETA at all and i always use tactics/ formations made by me, in this instance a 4-4-1-1 with positive mentality.

But i think the AI managers could do with a little buffing to their use of formations and roles + mentalities. I feel the game is sliding to the easier part compared to the previous FM's.

Edited by andu1

The game seems more stable than usual on release day. But I have two questsions.

On the rules section of the Swedish League it says that the next season will start at the same dates as the current Corona Season, which is three months later than normal. It's the same for the English Premier League too. Will the leagues actually retain the Corona schedule or will they use a normal schedule for the second season?

There's a bug with the generation of newgens which makes non-human teams to produce less and less newgens every year until they stop completely about 15 years into the game. Do we think a bug like this will be save game compatible? Obviously it won't be able to recreate the missing players over the years. But if I play 2-3 seasons now it won't affect the game database. Will a patch fixing this bug also make sure that enough newgens are genereated in upcoming seasons even on already created saves?

Anyone noticed a large number of free tranfers of good players? I've seen Donnaruma and Depay on freebies(?!), managed to get Origi on a free to PSV, Zainolo moving on a free etc.. Pretty weird considering they are all great and expensive players.

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

At half time if you get to the tactics screen, is there a way to go back to the analysis screen? I can’t work out how if you can.

1 hour ago, anagain said:

There isn't currently ways to move between some screens that I know of. I know for sure that if you move from team talk to tactics you can no longer go back to team talk. 

I don't have the game in front of me, but I think you go to team talk from the screen with analysis. It is probably the same situation as with team talks to tactics.

I have bugged not being able to go from tactics back to team talk.

It must be a lower priority issue though because it was discussed/bugged in beta and not changed. I am sure I saw a post from a dev that said it wasn't working as intended. 

I posted back on page 12 a little tip to do what you wanted @craiigman(because it's what I was desperate to do).

"A little tip for those who are as perplexed as me at only being able to review the player and analytical stats during the 'backroom HT advice' as soon as the first half ends, and not being able to review at any point during HT.

When you get to the HT backroom advice where you can review the data (the page as soon as the half finishes), and you want to make tactical changes based on these, press the 'Tactics & Subs' option bottom left. This will bring up your tactics, make some changes, and if you decide you want to review the data again (as I believe we should be inclined to do), then just press BACKSPACE and it will take you back to the HT advice page. From here you can review the data again and go back to tactics (bottom left) and make changes. IMO I now need to read the "Dressing Room" page as essentially start second half and I need to make any tactical adjustments before that where I have access to the information I want."

1 hour ago, Sharkn20 said:

Am I being dumb, or you can't select Body Language as one of the boxes in between highlights anymore?

Am pretty sure it was there in the Beta, why was it removed?

You can see the body language in the bottom bar, FWIW.

4 hours ago, FrazT said:

Do I understand correctly, that this spreads not only to starting unemployed and without badges, but to overall difficulty of landing jobs? 

For example, I have pro footballer-local level and Continental A badge, which give me 0.5 (nominal) reputation. This is enough to coach in russian first division, but not enough to land a job in premier league. Can I resign and get a position in Bundesliga, for example?

And another question is - does this change the Dynamics or job acceptance only? On FM 19 I've jumped from AAB to Groningen and my rep was not near enough for a team to accept me, so I failed miserably (which was understandable and fun)

I'm planning a long term save, so it would be nice to know if SI removed this aspect from a game, so I could cut my expectations from it and just play short ones.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, FrazT said:

My understanding is that it only relates to job acceptance but I presume that only the game coders can tell you for sure.

Thank you for a reply. Is it possible to raise this question with developers here (or maybe I should post it elsewhere)? I'm not trying to have a conflict, but this is a core point of playing "career" saves and me + other people, playing like that, would really appreciate knowing that.

1 minute ago, Jack Joyce said:

Hey, this is actually quite an interesting one that absolutely was present for the beta as well.

We had a look and the cause is actually the use of the 'focus play through middle' instruction. The instruction boosts passing scores for players considered in a 'central' area, and this was defined as anyone within the width of the penalty area.

However when your player is all the way over on the left flank, a player on the right side of the penalty area isn't really 'central', but they were still receiving a boost to their passing score from this instruction. When the middle is congested, the player on the far side is in more space, this combined with them getting a 'central pass' boost meant that your wingback kept attempting a switch pass.

A fix is currently in review for update 1. Thanks!

Awesome @Jack Joyce!! Thanks for that, that's really interesting to read :thup: 

Just now, Pav_Makarov said:

Thank you for a reply. Is it possible to raise this question with developers here (or maybe I should post it elsewhere)? I'm not trying to have a conflict, but this is a core point of playing "career" saves and me + other people, playing like that, would really appreciate knowing that.

I would raise a thread in the relevant FM 21 Bugs forum and ask the question there as it might get more visibility there

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

You can see the body language in the bottom bar, FWIW.

Is that little face that changes colours and expression? If so, is it anyway to have the "seems composed" // "Complacent" instead and the likes at glance?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sharkn20

1 hour ago, luka_zg said:

Anyone noticed a large number of free tranfers of good players? I've seen Donnaruma and Depay on freebies(?!), managed to get Origi on a free to PSV, Zainolo moving on a free etc.. Pretty weird considering they are all great and expensive players.

Both Donnaruma and Depay are freebies on mine as well. Shame I am managing Birmingham City so I can't snap them up

1 minute ago, Sharkn20 said:

Is that little face that changes colours and expression? If so, is it anyway to have the "seems composed" // "Complacent" instead and the likes at glance?

Thanks in advance.

No there isn't. I'm not in the game now, but you can either hover over it or click on it (not sure which) and you can see in more detail what it means.

1 hour ago, luka_zg said:

That's in part because a decent number of high quality players IRL are now more than happy to run out their contract to move wherever they want to. Donnarumma and Depay have both indicated that they're in no rush to try to negotiate new contracts with their current clubs, as they're both looking at moving to other teams.

It's something that's only likely to increase over time as players at high levels realise they have a lot of power when they want to move (by essentially making it an ultimatum on selling them, or losing them on a free down the line).

1 hour ago, Jonthedon26 said:

Both Donnaruma and Depay are freebies on mine as well. Shame I am managing Birmingham City so I can't snap them up

Donnaruma extended in my new save but in beta his contract expired in 2021. Depay on the other hand, went to City.

9 hours ago, Christmas said:

My posting said I only raised it as an issue, although I would identify SI responded directly.

I am accept it would have been more helpful for me to have it it to be posted as a bug, but I dispute that for a bug of such an easy to replicate manner as this bugging it was required for to have been done so in order to have a legitimate expectation that it issue be fixed.

SI's response was essentially that it this bug be a design choice, in order to stop people going without jobs. I understand why they wouldn't want this, as then they would have to bear the complaints of the large number of users who don't really understand the game and would abuse Mr Jacobsen on twitter about not being able to find work. My view is that they can fix this by setting an auto rep level to minimum active league - rather than have clubs in EFL Championship offer jobs to Sunday league users. 

I think SI choose the easy route of fewer complaints from what I am calling the 'lay-people' users - at the expense of 'true' journeyman saves. That is their choice to make.

It would pretty easy to code a kill switch where On (Rep important when applying for // offered jobs) // Off (Work as it does now). I concur the inmersion will be a lot higher and the sense of achievement even higher.

I would be perfectly happy to switch on this option (and plenty GMs out there) and there is no downside for anyone.

Edited by Sharkn20

20 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

I would be perfectly happy to switch on this option (and plenty GMs out there) and there is no downside for anyone

So far FM in neither of it's versions had any kind of "difficulty switch", though your idea is great. Why making a "difficulty level" in shape of experience and badge if it has no effect on a game?

10 hours ago, AlexJames said:

I raised this as a bug, and apparently it's a known issue - basically seems like reputation isn't being properly considered for job interest/ offers

I've noticed it on multiple saves. I've also noticed its only when starting unemployed though, not after you've got a job and applying elsewhere, or been sacked. Just seems to be when starting unemployed

1 minute ago, emil_sbn said:

Anyone else having trouble signing players from outside uk when brexit hits, all my scout reports is filled by players that wont get work permits =(

Go to Steam Library, click on Football Manager, on the right side click on Workshop, search for "no brexit," there are two mods made by Maitu that work just fine to remove brexit.  One still requires work permits, one gets rid of them.

26 minutes ago, Pav_Makarov said:

So far FM in neither of it's versions had any kind of "difficulty switch", though your idea is great. Why making a "difficulty level" in shape of experience and badge if it has no effect on a game?

While for me it doesnt matter much as I don't play journeyman saves a lot, i would say though that "attribute masking" checkbox can be seen as a difficulty switch. You could at game creation indeed provide a checkbox "realistic job offers" to allow for Both type of users to have a satisfactory gaming experience? 

4 hours ago, 1891 said:

The game seems more stable than usual on release day. But I have two questsions.

On the rules section of the Swedish League it says that the next season will start at the same dates as the current Corona Season, which is three months later than normal. It's the same for the English Premier League too. Will the leagues actually retain the Corona schedule or will they use a normal schedule for the second season?

There's a bug with the generation of newgens which makes non-human teams to produce less and less newgens every year until they stop completely about 15 years into the game. Do we think a bug like this will be save game compatible? Obviously it won't be able to recreate the missing players over the years. But if I play 2-3 seasons now it won't affect the game database. Will a patch fixing this bug also make sure that enough newgens are genereated in upcoming seasons even on already created saves?

I'm sorry but WHAT? Please till me this isn't the case. Is there a thread on the bug thread? This is huge is so

If Ive just been promoted to the premier league, how can i find out the maximum wage my board is willing to offer to a new signing, eg a star player?

Theres not point in me scouting him and negotiating a transfer fee if his wage demands are beyond what my board will allow.

this pre match screen is absolutely horrendous. they have basically removed every convenient thing about this game and pulled the wool over your eyes by feeding you nonsense like 'body language' and 'weather affecting the ball'.

15 minutes ago, 2feet said:

If Ive just been promoted to the premier league, how can i find out the maximum wage my board is willing to offer to a new signing, eg a star player?

Theres not point in me scouting him and negotiating a transfer fee if his wage demands are beyond what my board will allow.

Not ideal but you could save, start contract negotiations with current squad player and check the maximum wage there? Then decline and reload without saving. 

57 minutes ago, jase19 said:

Go to Steam Library, click on Football Manager, on the right side click on Workshop, search for "no brexit," there are two mods made by Maitu that work just fine to remove brexit.  One still requires work permits, one gets rid of them.

OK but if the scout says wont likely receive a work permit is it always a no then if the player havent played in his national team?