Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

more transfer stupidity. its not the fee this time which seeed on par as umtiti went from barca to man city for 126 mill. but hes on less wages??? that doesnt even make sense and wouldnt happen again. if he was worth that much then im sure he would want a lot more in wages ??

Without looking at the contract it is hard to tell whether he is on actually less wages re  money paid overall? Some players do drop wages for other reasons. Was he a regular at Barca? What did ManCity offer him as  a package re money, length of contract and status e.g. key player?

Can you be more specific re his new contract?

1 hour ago, kertiek said:

i dont think ME is so broken .. i can make my team play the way i  want and score goals like the last one (last play of the clip) ...i dont think is so broken as people say that they wont even play until the "fix it"  ... am more inclined to say that is the tactics and the player instructions .. those changed a lot in the predefined roles ... as soon as i unticked the cross often from wide players my team is creating a lot of good chances like the last goal .... in that play the last 3 passes are right IF > center forward > left IF, perfect vision and use of space.

pd: for me the ingame uploads to youtube is broken, cant record highlights or do anything from the game, didnt have any problems in past years ... thats why i did it manually and added some random music bc it had no audio.

I can't see the good football you're talking about? Those highlights show some set pieces and balls over the top. If that's good football in your opinion then fair enough but that's not for me.

Edited by Armistice

1 hour ago, kertiek said:

i dont think ME is so broken .. i can make my team play the way i  want and score goals like the last one (last play of the clip) ...i dont think is so broken as people say that they wont even play until the "fix it"  ... am more inclined to say that is the tactics and the player instructions .. those changed a lot in the predefined roles ... as soon as i unticked the cross often from wide players my team is creating a lot of good chances like the last goal .... in that play the last 3 passes are right IF > center forward > left IF, perfect vision and use of space.

pd: for me the ingame uploads to youtube is broken, cant record highlights or do anything from the game, didnt have any problems in past years ... thats why i did it manually and added some random music bc it had no audio.

Tbh these highlights are showing mostly set pieces (a few corner kicks and the old throw in pattern that leads to a shot). As for the last HL/goal, @MBarbaric just made a deeper and better analysis, I'll just add that it's still a very direct play and considering the whole scenario (attacking vs set defence, starting a play from the back, Barcelona in 10 men arguably wanting to defend an away draw at 90th minute and not pressing the defenders) it looks like a massive defensive breakdown rather than a result of intelligent, controlled attacking play.

EDIT: score was actually 1-0 so you can scratch the defending the draw part.

Edited by kandersson

23 minutes ago, Kazza said:

more transfer stupidity. its not the fee this time which seeed on par as umtiti went from barca to man city for 126 mill. but hes on less wages??? that doesnt even make sense and wouldnt happen again. if he was worth that much then im sure he would want a lot more in wages ??

Without looking at the contract it is hard to tell whether he is on actually less wages re  money paid overall? Some players do drop wages for other reasons. Was he a regular at Barca? What did ManCity offer him as  a package re money, length of contract and status e.g. key player?

hes got 110000 take home. inn spain he had more like 150000 take home. in spain 60000 app fee. here 45000 app fee. had a million champions league bonus in spain here he has 650000. he earning a lot less here 

Barca played gegenpress variant with both wingers on attack duty who don't do anything in defense. any schoolboy team would notice that and defend in flat midfield line with striker marking their DM. i wonder how it's possible they conceeded only 1 goal? that's even more amazing than goal they conceeded. after finally having ability to drop striker deeper like 442-4411 variant, will it take another few years for AI to start using it?

9 minutes ago, bradjsmith said:

hes got 110000 take home. inn spain he had more like 150000 take home. in spain 60000 app fee. here 45000 app fee. had a million champions league bonus in spain here he has 650000. he earning a lot less here 

Hy

Ok so in Spain he was presumably paid in Euros, in England pounds? If not, that is some drop in wages. Was they any hint that he wanted another challenge. What about his signing on fee? I also think that the manager might make a difference re reputation. Man City Manager "Pep" v yourself, he may have been more attracted to their manager. I see this type of thing reported quite regularly in these forums and maybe it's that "x" factor re this is a game not  as in real life so the computer throws up odd stuff at times.  Sounds like a quirk of the game rather than a bug though. 

Maybe some other folk who are more experienced then me might have other ideas as to why.

Edited by Kazza

After 4 seasons of play with good success, premier league titles, champions leage glory its time to give this game up, the balance of play its just all over the place, its just not enjoyable, fm18 was a far more enjoyable experience, and if si continues down this route regarding the match engine i fear for the games future, fm18 may be known in the future as the last great fm.

On 11/11/2018 at 04:08, oulzac said:

Why is it every time I play this game I have to go into the settings and click on Profile for landing pages, even though its already set that way, and then save the settings in order for it to actually do that? Its getting very annoying. Also it asks me to confirm my age and ad preference every time I start the game.

It's your tactics mate, or the ME is broken that's why.....probably the only answer you're going to get here. However I have the same problem, I've just resigned to the game landing me at the squad page and having to go to the general tab, that or right clicking a team name and choosing overview.

1 hour ago, Kazza said:

53 minutes ago, bradjsmith said:

51 minutes ago, bradjsmith said:

also he was a key player and regular for barca and laporte is on more at man city. also they signed savic where we (liverpool ) and man c both offerd same money and i offerd him 100000 more a week and he joined city 

I managed to sign a player whose wages was 1 million euros per month for 686k by giving him a Yearly Rise of 20%, some extra bonus to the agent fee and increased a bit the value for goals scored, landmarks, etc. I didn't have the budget to go over 686k, but the bonuses made up for it (he was also a player that held me in the highest regard as manager). 

Edited by Lanko

18 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

After 4 seasons of play with good success, premier league titles, champions leage glory its time to give this game up, the balance of play its just all over the place, its just not enjoyable, fm18 was a far more enjoyable experience, and if si continues down this route regarding the match engine i fear for the games future, fm18 may be known in the future as the last great fm.

don't worry we'll have everything fixed in 3 months.

31 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

A true shambles of a match engine and we’ll have to wait ages for them to balance it.

Full price for a beta game.

Wot a rip off.

1 minute ago, Vali184 said:

And that's how you save a bunch of money by not paying some testers to do their job. In fact, they pay you to test your game! Brilliant idea!

and if you don't do it for yourself there's nobody who will do it for you. my DC scores more than my star striker?! yeah but you didn't report it...

judging by really sad situation in ME section of the bugs forum, it looks like we got as much as we asked.

2 hours ago, Carsten75 said:

Sorry, but im really frustrated..... I have never seen such a worst balance.  I manage Ajax in the year 2023... It doesn t matter how i play away.. Enemy team is always defending with 8-10 players in their own penalty area... There is 0 room for a pass, 0 room for a shot.

really weak teams in my league defend like they have 4 players with 50 Mio value and more.... Gegenpressing or Ball posession makes no difference.  my 4-2-3-1 is a desaster. I also tried my classic 442, which was very sucessful in fm 2018.... In FM 19 you can forget it.... I got destroyed from several teams away, my 34 Mio Striker plays like Mr. Bean, this is real slapstick.  Ball winning MF are getting a red card in each 1-3 matches.   At the end enemy team plays a 50 meter pass to their stiker ( my defence is slightly deeper...) and they make the match winning goal.  At the moment im done with that game.. In my opinion the balance is ********.

Try set pieces... Try direct attack... There many options in training now. I'm Brondby IF and we totally dominate set pieces... Have my full backs taking corners,  great corner takers and set up my corners as a ruthless attack. I imagine because teams are so defensive against you you must get corners etc...

Hey guys, I was checking on this forum because of a possible throw in bug but I haven´t found anyone reporting it.

I quit playing until the ME is improved but forgot to ask when I was here the last time: Do you also experience that your player will frequently throw the ball from a throw in straight to the opposition? Or that your player, after getting the ball from a throw in, will get dispossessed easily? 

3 minutes ago, Martin# said:

Hey guys, I was checking on this forum because of a possible throw in bug but I haven´t found anyone reporting it.

I quit playing until the ME is improved but forgot to ask when I was here the last time: Do you also experience that your player will frequently throw the ball from a throw in straight to the opposition? Or that your player, after getting the ball from a throw in, will get dispossessed easily? 

This happened quite often in 18 with me, same with short corners, the guy who received the ball was either dispossessed or crossed to the net for a goal kick...

Wondering how it is on 19.

Edited by Lanko

2 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

while your players should get some credit for "perfect vision and use of space", I'd argue that most of the credit for that goal should go to the defending team. So, let's see why.

1.thumb.png.f5fec38c73f3d08517c2e9fe2a00d992.png

Did the yellow team get red card? Anyway, I don't know what they are trying to do, but look at that massive gaps in their defensive shape. Apart two CMs, they have horizontal gaps of 20+ meters between each player and 15+ meter gaps between the lines. Horrible defensive shape. Schoolboy level. You'd need to watch hours of Barcelona videos to find something similar in real.

2.thumb.png.4d5744992675c06d21c85a5a118cd524.png

So, the red team uses the space that was so generously offered. 3v0 advantage on the right flank. Acres of space. Look at the width of the defensive team. They cover 60 meters of width. Why? Two central midfielders do absolutely nothing to prevent 3v0 advantage. The whole defensive unit should shift towards the ball side. Not in FM, though.

And, cherry on the cake... two CB's... Are they  even aware there is a player between them? Who plays defense like that? Not even schoolboys.

3.thumb.png.2cf9703fe47d8ef04dca15f718cb4c49.png

And of course, the ball is played to the CF. CB's finally notice him and the whole back line is attracted to him. I've coached 8 years olds who held the back line way better than this. To be fair, however, these things happen in football even at the highest levels once the panic kicks in. so this looks worst than it actually is although one would expect better. The problems start much higher up the pitch.

This whole goal is something completely unacceptable (with a red card or not) on a professional level. I don't say it can't happen, it just happens too often.  Anyway, without disrespect, I don't think you, or 90% of average FMers are able to judge the ME. And I am afraid, SI needs to take a good deep look at themselves as this is going on for 4 or five years now.

they lost the DL fauzi ghoulam injured at min 85 and they didnt have any more subs, thats why they have 10 man .... my point is that if you create space for the forwards to make their game ... they will, i have a few other matches where my team mainly attacks just like the last goal ... always passing and creating chances without having 500 crosses per game... but since the highlight uploader is broken and i have to do it manuallly ... i dont want to waste more time creating another clip .. if they fix that i have no problem in showing some examples showing that the argument "all they do is cross please fix the ME" .. is just pure BS and bad tactics.

Edited by kertiek

4 minutes ago, kertiek said:

they lost the DL fauzi ghoulam injured at min 85 and they didnt have any more subs, thats why they have 10 man .... my point is that if you create space for the forwards to make their game ... they will, i have a few other matches where my team mainly attacks just like the last goal ... always passing and creating chances without having 500 crosses per game... but since the highlight uploader is broken and i have to do it manuallly ... i dont want to waste more time creating another clip .. if they fix that i have no problem in showing some examples showing that the argument "all they do is cross please fix the ME" .. is just pure BS and bad tactics.

Videos are fixed if you opt into the public beta. On a lot of my manual uploads the encoding was so bad i had 4 teams on the pitch and the camera man seemingly on acid :lol:

5 minutes ago, kertiek said:

It's about implementing a style of football to your team, not winning every match. Right now you can't play how you want, only direct attacking football. 

2 hours ago, Carsten75 said:

Sorry, but im really frustrated..... I have never seen such a worst balance.  I manage Ajax in the year 2023... It doesn t matter how i play away.. Enemy team is always defending with 8-10 players in their own penalty area... There is 0 room for a pass, 0 room for a shot.

really weak teams in my league defend like they have 4 players with 50 Mio value and more.... Gegenpressing or Ball posession makes no difference.  my 4-2-3-1 is a desaster. I also tried my classic 442, which was very sucessful in fm 2018.... In FM 19 you can forget it.... I got destroyed from several teams away, my 34 Mio Striker plays like Mr. Bean, this is real slapstick.  Ball winning MF are getting a red card in each 1-3 matches.   At the end enemy team plays a 50 meter pass to their stiker ( my defence is slightly deeper...) and they make the match winning goal.  At the moment im done with that game.. In my opinion the balance is ********.

Hi Carsten, could you be so kind to check what team mentality your team is using. If it is anything other than Balanced, may I suggest that you use the balanced team mentality for a while , preferably in a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic (4-3-3 with a DMC). The balanced team mentality gives a far more rewarding ME experience in my opinion because the AI tends to get out of defensive and into normal build up play (even on your own half) a lot more, thus creating more space for you team to operate in. 

I know it is perhaps not how you desire to play, but until a solid ME update arrivés, it could help you to enjoy the game a bit more in the meantime.

Cheers!

18 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

Hi Carsten, could you be so kind to check what team mentality your team is using. If it is anything other than Balanced, may I suggest that you use the balanced team mentality for a while , preferably in a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic (4-3-3 with a DMC). The balanced team mentality gives a far more rewarding ME experience in my opinion because the AI tends to get out of defensive and into normal build up play (even on your own half) a lot more, thus creating more space for you team to operate in. 

I know it is perhaps not how you desire to play, but until a solid ME update arrivés, it could help you to enjoy the game a bit more in the meantime.

Cheers!

Ha, quite literally just gave in on my save and have gone for exactly this. My biggest problem is I only have 1 set of wingers and 2 very good and promising AMC’s!

Ah well this was more of a 1-2 season save anyway. But yeah the 433 and balanced approach does play out better.

28 minutes ago, kertiek said:

22 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

It's about implementing a style of football to your team, not winning every match. Right now you can't play how you want, only direct attacking football. 

my answer is in bold, thats how i want my team to attack .. and i did that in the "broken" ME everyone complains so much.

25 minutos atrás, Vali184 disse:

Not pretending I'm any expert, but that's not my experience, at all.

7 minutes ago, kertiek said:

my answer is in bold, thats how i want my team to attack .. and i did that in the "broken" ME everyone complains so much.

now try and play a possession game with the static front three and clueless midfielders. everything is about the transition to attack in this me. if you don't score at the end of it, you'll just get a blocked shot/long shot/corner.

now i'm not saying we should win every game 5-0 or 10-0, but it's kinda annoying to get 30+ shots and 10-15 shots on target while the opposition has below 5 shots in total and you lose 1-0 or draw. AI either goes full rambo with the pressing or parks the bus.

Edited by Vali184

45 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

now try and play a possession game with the static front three and clueless midfielders. everything is about the transition to attack in this me. if you don't score at the end of it, you'll just get a blocked shot/long shot/corner.

now i'm not saying we should win every game 5-0 or 10-0, but it's kinda annoying to get 30+ shots and 10-15 shots on target while the opposition has below 5 shots in total and you lose 1-0 or draw. AI either goes full rambo with the pressing or parks the bus.

am not trying to be an azshole, but it will be hard to do a posession tactic if my front 3 is static and  never move searching for spaces .... or if my only two  CM never tried to stretch the opposition while on the ball either with runs or running wide with the ball,  at first i had a really close 3 in the middle ( DMC MCR MCL) but  when i changed both to  play wider they started playing a lot better and also creating more chances  and they stopped playing holding hands both standing close to each  at no more than 5 mts of each other in middle.

i believe in this FM the player instructions for each role are not the best by default they did modifications to some instructions in the roles and a few of them are specially not very good in some of the tactics we try to use, its  kinda the same problem with the default training's for the week, if u compare "tactical training early one match vs technical training early one match" (u can do this in training>schedules) the only difference is one session, the first one on the friday .. the same happens with in the three of them .. early mid and late ... only one session is different in each template, it feels like SI was preparing a car to run at 200 kmh ... but the manual says only use it at 40 kmh max and only straight lines ... no corners. .... if u dont use the default templates .. u can get a lot more from the ME, this is my argument.

when i compared those trainings i was expecting a lot more differences ... some shadow training or in the technical week some chance creation or chance conversion .. but nothing .. all the difference is one general session on friday, thats when i figured  that if i want my team to play like i want .. i would have to customize a lot of the player instructions in the positions that wasnt doing what i expected ... and it worked.

Edited by kertiek

1 ora fa, kertiek ha scritto:

my point is that if you create space for the forwards to make their game ... they will, i have a few other matches where my team mainly attacks just like the last goal

I can speak only about what I saw. And that goal, as those screenshots show, has very little to do with your team attacking, and everything with the way the opposition is defending. You might do well and upload it to ME bugs section.

Please, get back, check those screenshots and honestly say how does that defence look to you?  If you still think it is about your tactics, then all I can do is give up and agree that we disagree.

1 ora fa, kertiek ha scritto:

while your players should get some credit for "perfect vision and use of space", I'd argue that most of the credit for that goal should go to the defending team. So, let's see why.

1.thumb.png.f5fec38c73f3d08517c2e9fe2a00d992.png

Did the yellow team get red card? Anyway, I don't know what they are trying to do, but look at that massive gaps in their defensive shape. Apart two CMs, they have horizontal gaps of 20+ meters between each player and 15+ meter gaps between the lines. Horrible defensive shape. Schoolboy level. You'd need to watch hours of Barcelona videos to find something similar in real.

2.thumb.png.4d5744992675c06d21c85a5a118cd524.png

So, the red team uses the space that was so generously offered. 3v0 advantage on the right flank. Acres of space. Look at the width of the defensive team. They cover 60 meters of width. Why? Two central midfielders do absolutely nothing to prevent 3v0 advantage. The whole defensive unit should shift towards the ball side. Not in FM, though.

And, cherry on the cake... two CB's... Are they  even aware there is a player between them? Who plays defense like that? Not even schoolboys.

3.thumb.png.2cf9703fe47d8ef04dca15f718cb4c49.png

And of course, the ball is played to the CF. CB's finally notice him and the whole back line is attracted to him. I've coached 8 years olds who held the back line way better than this. To be fair, however, these things happen in football even at the highest levels once the panic kicks in. so this looks worst than it actually is although one would expect better. The problems start much higher up the pitch.

This whole goal is something completely unacceptable (with a red card or not) on a professional level. I don't say it can't happen, it just happens too often.  Anyway, without disrespect, I don't think you, or 90% of average FMers are able to judge the ME. And I am afraid, SI needs to take a good deep look at themselves as this is going on for 4 or five years now.

13 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

I can speak only about what I saw. And that goal, as those screenshots show, has very little to do with your team attacking, and everything with the way the opposition is defending. You might do well and upload it to ME bugs section.

Please, get back, check those screenshots and honestly say how does that defence look to you?  If you still think it is about your tactics, then all I can do is give up and agree that we disagree.

in real life .. every team that is missing  a player less than 10 mins ago .... starts defending perfectly in sync while playing in a awkward formation and also trying to push for a late draw? .. i think that what happened in that game is totally possible.

Edited by kertiek

2 minuti fa, kertiek ha scritto:

in real life .. every team that lesses a player less than 10 mins ago... starts defending perfectly in sync while playing in a awkward formation and also trying to push for a late draw? .. i think that what happened in that game is totally possible.

it is also possible you have some insight in football tactics but not likely. :D

banter aside, looking at that one example it is possible of course. however, knowing the ME and the way defending had worked for years, i'd say it is far more likely there's something wrong with the ME. 

4.thumb.png.09833f4bbb8fb7c9d6604eb2a2411245.png

If they are trying to get back late in game, how they do it? I guess they want to put some pressure on the opposition? On the back line maybe? Ok, how they do it?

LW takes out the RB, CF takes out one CB and RW marks LB. Fair enough, maybe they want to encourage the red team to play through the middle and press them there? Not likely, they are in 2v3 disadvantage there and those CM's don't mark anyone. 

You can turn and shift this as you like, but there is something wrong from whichever angle you look at it. 

It might be that the AI logic fails to understand they are a man down and doesn't adapt. In any case, you simply don't defend this way. not at this level, not even in sunday league. You can keep saying yourself you are the tactical mastermind (that is what the game is all about after all), but this is really for ME bugs section.

36 minutes ago, kertiek said:

am not trying to be an azshole, but it will be hard to do a posession tactic if my front 3 is static and  never move searching for spaces .... or if my only two  CM never tried to stretch the opposition while on the ball either with runs or running wide with the ball,  at first i had a really close 3 in the middle ( DMC MCR MCL) but  when i changed both to  play wider they started playing a lot better and also creating more chances  and they stopped playing holding hands both standing close to each  at no more than 5 mts of each other in middle.

i believe in this FM the player instructions for each role are not the best by default they did modifications to some instructions in the roles and a few of them are specially not very good in some of the tactics we try to use, its  kinda the same problem with the default training's for the week, if u compare "tactical training early one match vs technical training early one match" (u can do this in training>schedules) the only difference is one session, the first one on the friday .. the same happens with in the three of them .. early mid and late ... only one session is different in each template, it feels like SI was preparing a car to run at 200 kmh ... but the manual says only use it at 40 kmh max and only straight lines ... no corners. .... if u dont use the default templates .. u can get a lot more from the ME, this is my argument.

when i compared those trainings i was expecting a lot more differences ... some shadow training or in the technical week some chance creation or chance conversion .. but nothing .. all the difference is one general session on friday, thats when i figured  that if i want my team to play like i want .. i would have to customize a lot of the player instructions in the positions that wasnt doing what i expected ... and it worked.

Believe me, buddy, I tried everything you can do with the match engine, players just hoof the ball in front of the striker, even if you tell them not to counter when they get the ball. Bugs forum is full of examples. I stopped playing after about 25 league games. The problem isn't losing, as I am first in the championship, but not being able to recreate a style in this match engine. I had zero problems in 17 and 18 as far as I can remember.

At least they fixed the injuries.

Been awarded 5 penalties in Premier League so far and my No 1 taker (undoubtedly so based on attributes) is Hazard. He has taken 4 of them and scored once. He wasnt on pitch when 1 was awarded, thank goodness, and Luiz scored. Following his latest miss I have fropped him down to be 3rd option. Presumably it is not a bug - I am assuming that I have just been "unlucky".....

Anyone else seeing supposedly good penalty takers missing most of them?

9 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

It might be that the AI logic fails to understand they are a man down and doesn't adapt. In any case, you simply don't defend this way. not at this level, not even in sunday league. You can keep saying yourself you are the tactical mastermind (that is what the game is all about after all), but this is really for ME bugs section.

plus they have both wingers on attack duty, which meens they actually defend with only 6 players, which is a bug in my books especially playing that way with player down. plus the goal was scored with known bug where too many defenders  close down one player and leave the other open.

Edited by Mitja

5 minutes ago, mhaffy said:

Been awarded 5 penalties in Premier League so far and my No 1 taker (undoubtedly so based on attributes) is Hazard. He has taken 4 of them and scored once. He wasnt on pitch when 1 was awarded, thank goodness, and Luiz scored. Following his latest miss I have fropped him down to be 3rd option. Presumably it is not a bug - I am assuming that I have just been "unlucky".....

Anyone else seeing supposedly good penalty takers missing most of them?

The only issue I have with penalties - and this might not even be an issue - is that there seems to be quite a lot of them. It was perhaps just incredible coincidence, but I recently went through a run of SIX successive matches where my team was awarded a penalty. I had one player who scored 3/3, and another who scored 0/2 (the other penalty was also missed).

Conversion rates look fine across the leagues in my save. It's just the quantity of penalties that perhaps seems out of whack. I'll look into it a bit more once the season's finished.

11 minutes ago, CFuller said:

The only issue I have with penalties - and this might not even be an issue - is that there seems to be quite a lot of them. It was perhaps just incredible coincidence, but I recently went through a run of SIX successive matches where my team was awarded a penalty. I had one player who scored 3/3, and another who scored 0/2 (the other penalty was also missed).

Conversion rates look fine across the leagues in my save. It's just the quantity of penalties that perhaps seems out of whack. I'll look into it a bit more once the season's finished.

Number of penalties seem fine,in my save, so far with 31 penalties taken in 130 premier League matches = 0.24 penalties per match.

Last season Premier League actuals were 80 at 0.21/match. Overall average seems fine at moment but will see how it looks at end of the season.....my only "problem" is Hazard who is playing well but just keeps missing penalties....

Edited by mhaffy

28 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

it is also possible you have some insight in football tactics but not likely. :D

banter aside, looking at that one example it is possible of course. however, knowing the ME and the way defending had worked for years, i'd say it is far more likely there's something wrong with the ME. 

4.thumb.png.09833f4bbb8fb7c9d6604eb2a2411245.png

If they are trying to get back late in game, how they do it? I guess they want to put some pressure on the opposition? On the back line maybe? Ok, how they do it?

LW takes out the RB, CF takes out one CB and RW marks LB. Fair enough, maybe they want to encourage the red team to play through the middle and press them there? Not likely, they are in 2v3 disadvantage there and those CM's don't mark anyone. 

You can turn and shift this as you like, but there is something wrong from whichever angle you look at it. 

so ... two in midfield defending and three attacking ... i have numeric advantage .. u are suggesting they should push and mark my two CM ... what do u have to gain from that? .. i will still have a free man and if they push now i have even more space in front of the defense ... with 3 forwards in front waiting... and even if they push .. both of my CB are ball playing defenders ... they can pass it long just like rice did to trincao in that play.

since both of my CM have stay wider and i also have one extra man in the midfield over them i dont see it as a bug at all ... both of my CMs are doing what they did the whole game, stretch the game with or without the ball because i have torreira in the middle  behind them and with his good passing ability .. i dont need that trio standing close together... i need them to create space .. and thats is exactly what they are doing.

cmr is a  messala (s) that as sway wider by default and the CML is an advanced playmaker (s) with stay wider ticked.

the coach  in barca is allegri i think he was trying to defend with a 4 2 3 1 without the AMC

image.png.bdfbc4809d15bfa3a8bd4f5fcf153e60.png

17 minuti fa, kertiek ha scritto:

so ... two in midfield defending and three attacking ... i have numeric advantage .. u are suggesting they should push and mark my two CM ... what do u have to gain from that? .. i will still have a free man and if they push now i have even more space in front of the defense ... with 3 forwards in front waiting... and even if they push .. both of my CB are ball playing defenders ... they can pass it long just like rice did to trincao in that play.

both of my CMs are doing what they did the whole game, stretch the game with or without the ball

i am saying that what yellow team does during that goal makes no sense. when you defend, you try to keep the defensive shape narrow and short to deny space. they have gaps horizontally and vertically allowing red team acres of space everywhere. 

This can, sort of, be explained if they wanted to press high up the pitch. the problem is, they do that with 3 front players but the rest of their squad is completely out of sync not doing their part. I won't bother explaining why since you have already decided there's nothing wrong with the ME here and the goal is the result of your good tactics. That is fair enough, and merry you go into more victories.

as for the bolded part, what do they need to stretch if their team is already stretched all over the place? You'd need to stretch if they had been compact and narrow, not if they are so spread :D

I'd still suggest you upload the PKM in the ME bugs section. 

Edited by MBarbaric

After 276 hours thus far into FM 19, it's with sadness that at this point I will likely be going back to FM 18 for the foreseeable future.  While many improvements were made, for me the number of  broken or diminished features outweigh the good.  This is based purely on how I play the game and what I enjoy the most about the franchise; others who play the game differently may wholly disagree with my assessment.  

THE GOOD

Scout reports in the inbox.  I love the new format of scout reports in the inbox.  Includes more information I want, in a clean concise presentation.

New Tactics Format.  After years of refining my tactics in prior versions, I was admittedly a little turned off by the new format.  However, in time I came to enjoy it more and definitely value the added new touches/details.  The categorization of actions (possession / transition / out of possession) is intuitive and realistic.  

Coaching Focus.  It works!  In past FM's I've felt that when I set coaching focus on various attributes, those attributes would only very modestly outpace the rest (if at all) when increasing over time.  The new coaching focus - as far as I can tell - appears to have both a quicker and more dramatic influence on the targeted attribute(s).  Also, the new groupings of skill sets, rather than just picking one single attribute, is a nice and realistic addition.  

Additional Player Dialogue.  I absolutely love the additions that have been made to player conversation.  Persuading players, and new triggers such as 'pre-concerns' and the potential dialogue from changing things like team status, are all welcome additions to game play.  

More Balanced Newgens.  In the last FM, after a few years the world was flooded with a budding crop of potentially world class newgen strikers.  As far as I can tell, the number of 180+ PA strikers has dropped considerably, and thus the balance of positions and PA seems much more even.  

THE INDIFFERENT

Revamped Training System.  This one is a mixed bag for me.  On the one hand, I do appreciate the added detail and complexity that went into the new training system, as well as the addition of aspects like the Training Rating.  However, this system can bog me down at times, and unless I set a coach or AM to deal with it, it often times requires more micro managing than I care to spend.  At the end of the day, I just don't desire to spend that much of my FM game time managing training (a personal preference, to be sure), so much of the new detail is lost on me.  

Random nuisances that carried over from FM 18.   a) Did you ever notice that unless you're a top club in the world, you struggle to hire a zero reputation newgen Data Analyst from another country unless you offer them the role as Head Data Analyst?  I believe the same thing often happens with Sports Scientists.  Apparently moving to London or Los Angeles is just too much of an ask for a 19 year old Brazilian DA, such that he must be given the Head role to make it worthwhile.  b) The inability to sign newgens on intake date.  I can appreciate that this should have been dialed back from prior FMs (prior to FM 18 that is), but it went way too far.  Unless you're at R. Madrid or Man City and you're trying to sign a player from the 3rd division of Colombia, you have no chance (and even then it's a toss up.).  SI's desire to quash what they view as an 'exploit' instead creates absolute unrealism.  "Really, you'd rather 'continue your training' at Reus instead of joining me at Barca on my youth squad?  Despite that being the dream of every 15 year old in the world?  Got it."  c) The same, tired press conference answers.  d) Will edit and add others as they come to mind...

THE BAD

Mentoring is a (Broken) Afterthought.  I love to play teams with strong youth systems, where I can both generate extra income from player sales over time, as well as mold my stars of the future.  Mentoring was one of the most important aspects to molding youth, and sadly in FM 19 it is just broken.  The new concept of mentoring groups is fine enough, but it fails in two key respects. 

1) The requirement to move all mentees to the senior squad is absurd.  Why can't this be done elsewhere, such as in the Training Units section?  SI feels that for a young player to be mentored, they need to be 'part of' the group mentoring them.  I get that.  However, in game play there must be a more elegant way then requiring my to put a 16 year old on the senior squad then set them for reserve on the youth team.  Even the game itself doesn't understand it, as it often will tell you to transfer list or loan out said youth player if they are not registered for the senior competition.  huh?  First you tell me he has to be on the senior squad, then you suggest I sell the kid because he's not on my Champions Cup team.  Lastly, if you want to mentor a player who is intended to play on your B/Reserve squad, in many cases you can forget about it.  In Portugal, for instance, if your team is in the Premier League you cannot register a player for the Second League if they are on your senior squad.  Even if you set them as Reserve for the B squad, they will not be registered/registerable and cannot play, thus making them impossible to both play on the B squad and also be mentored. 

2) The system itself doesn't work.  For those who care to see my posts elsewhere in the bugs forum, I highlight the failure of how relative influence is applied in the game.  On more occasions than I can count, I have 16-17 yo newgens who are exerting the same influence on their mentoring group as a senior player with 4-5x the reputation and a higher squad status.  There are several easy fixes to this to make it more realistic, and SI inexplicably seems to not want to fix it.  Because FM forces you to move youth players to the senior squad, they will all get bundled together with the rest of the "Other Player" status senior players, thus giving the kids equal influence as a person a decade older.  It's really just madness.

Oh, it Hurts!  You may have read elsewhere, and it is true - injuries seem to have increased in this FM.  I have a big squad that rotates nearly every match, with world class Physios, and somebody is getting hurt every week.  Every.  Week.  

Happy Players Don't Want New Contracts.  On multiple occasions, I've had otherwise happy players who will not sign new contracts.  They say they are loving playing at the club, are not 'wanted' by anybody, but then when you try to offer them a contract they're either "waiting until they get closer to the end of contract" or "doesn't see playing here as part of their plans", or some variation.  Supposedly this is under review and hopefully it gets addressed, but I've lost a couple of my most important players to this bug, so it can be somewhat of a game killer. 

Player Non-Versatility.  In the FM of years' past, there was a player trait called Versatility.  It governed how easily and quickly a player could add or perfect new or otherwise less accomplished positions.  Players in FM 19 still have this trait, except, it appears to be completely irrelevant.  And that is because players seem much less able to add additional positional skill in FM 19, especially those players who already have a reasonable baseline proficiency in a position.  For instance, if a player is already accomplished (15/20) in a position, I've noticed he can spend two years both playing and training in that role with zero increase.  Not just "a little increase" - I mean zero.  And that's true even for players with very high 'versatility' (quotes intended).  I have seen plenty of players add skill to a position they otherwise had very little or none in, so it appears that the system isn't entirely broken.  It's just that players seem to be capping out early and often, despite training and character traits.  Perhaps this was an intentional cap that was put in the game?  I have seen on the forums an argument that "even accomplished is good enough for a position" - but to me that's just a lame excuse if it's a broken function. 

SUMMARY

FM 19 certainly has some nice additions.  I particularly enjoy the improved player dialogue system.  However, as somebody who enjoys to play the game with a "build from youth" focus, the destruction of the Tutoring/Mentoring function saps much of the enjoyment.  As I argued to SI elsewhere on this forum, developing youth personality is just as important (if not more) than other aspects such as training and competitive match time.  Where I used to have control over molding all three of those aspects, I can now only effectively manage two of them.  For me, that makes FM 19 less fun than FM 18. 

31 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

i am saying that what yellow team does during that goal makes no sense. when you defend, you try to keep the defensive shape narrow and short to deny space. they have gaps horizontally and vertically allowing red team acres of space everywhere. 

This can, sort of, be explained if they wanted to press high up the pitch. the problem is, they do that with 3 front players but the rest of their squad is completely out of sync not doing their part. I won't bother explaining why since you have already decided there's nothing wrong with the ME here and the goal is the result of your good tactics. That is fair enough, and merry you go into more victories.

as for the bolded part, what do they need to stretch if their team is already stretched all over the place? You'd need to stretch if they had been compact and narrow, not if they are so spread :D

I'd still suggest you upload the PKM in the ME bugs section. 

His team won, so the match engine must be perfect!