Should Gareth Southgate make any changes for Panama?

ryan045

Should Gareth Southgate make any changes for Panama?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth make any changes for Panama?

04DAA43D-4141-4476-A989-C8AC2F52AC01.thumb.png.8c28078a0ea7ae39f92282509c89893b.png

Heres the XI Southgate went for vs Tunisia. Do we think Sterling should be dropped for Rashford? His last goal was in October 2015. That’s a poor record for an England attacker. How about Alli? I thought RLC came on and had a good impact. Is he deserving of a starting spot now? Lets discuss.

If Alli has any doubt about him I'd rest him and play RLC. I'd probably play Rose instead of Young as well to see how having a left footer there impacts us, I think Young cutting back to his right hurt us a little bit so it's worth trying that change.

I'd give Sterling another chance, I don't think Rashford did anything against Tunisia that makes me think he has to start. I'd play Vardy at some point as well even if off the bench.

Other than that I'd keep it the same, no point making changes for the sake of it.

Rose in for Young, Rashford for Sterling, RLC for Alli, Dier for Walker.

Good to keep players on their toes and keep others fresh.

If we have a comfortable lead, I'd get Kane off for Vardy early in the 2nd half to keep him fresh for Belgium and give Trent 30 minutes on for Trippier.

11 minutes ago, sammayel666 said:

Grr! I swear that questions was "should he keep the same xi" and I said no, meaning make changes. Now it says "should he make changes" and I look stupid...

Needs to drop Alli and start RLC

My fault for rushing it! I’d agree, RLC looked a handful when he came on. 

9 minutes ago, daylight said:

****ing shambles!

Just delete it and try again.

:(

8 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Alli looked injured, bring in Delph. I'd leave the rest as it. Early subs on for Rose and RLC to get game time if things going well

Do you think we’ll need both Delph and Henderson for Panama?

Only change i'd definitely make would be Rose in for Young.

Loftus-Cheek in for Alli if Alli not 100% fit.

Sterling given 1 more chance to start, but hooked after an hour and dropped for Rashford going forward if ineffective again.

Vardy to get at least 30 minutes if the game is wrapped up either alongside Kane (with a change of shape) or in place of.

19 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

Do you think we’ll need both Delph and Henderson for Panama?

They'll sit deeper, much more aggressive defensively. We'll need to be better passing through them.

Delph will link the midfield better, and will be able to pass through, and carry the ball through

11 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Give Kane a rest and play Vardy.  Should have more than enough for Panama without Kane, the last thing we need is one of their ageing defenders hacking him down and then he's out for the tournament.

Worked alright in 1966. Crock Kane and get Geoffmie Varhurst to fire us to glory in the final.

18 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Give Kane a rest and play Vardy.  Should have more than enough for Panama without Kane, the last thing we need is one of their ageing defenders hacking him down and then he's out for the tournament.

There's no way Kane will accept that though. He'll play every minute of every game, same as Ronaldo, because he is simultaneously the captain, the best player and wants to also win the Golden Boot. Southgate won't stop that.

I think Delph or Rose should start LWB. I'd probably play Walker RWB and bring in Cahill or Jones. I'd drop Alli for RLC and I'd drop one of Sterling or Lingard for Rashford. I'd probably drop both actually and play Dier and Henderson. 

For me the best line-up using a 5 back is:

GK- Pickford 

RWB- Walker

CBs- Stones, Maguire, Cahill

LWB- Delph

CMs- Henderson, Dier

FWDs- Kane, Sterling, Rashford

But I don't see Southgate doing this, so replace Dier with another FWD because 514 is OP.

I'm the only no vote :D 

Wouldn't be opposed to giving Rashford a run rather than Sterling, but I don't think it's life or death.

We were really good. Keep it the same.

35 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Panama looked much more organized than Tunisia, even when facing much higher attacking power that is Belgium. And had one or two good chances to score. If you guys don't change something, i could see them surprising you. 

I think they looked absolutely terrible personally, they were all over the place and Belgium should have felt ashamed to finish the half 0-0.

Their principle tactic, much like Tunisia but brasher still, seems to be to kick the opposition and hope for the best.

Nah.  

I'd prefer a left footed left back, but I think Young will have the space to to put in his special deliveries against Panama,  And then if Alli is not fit, I'd play Rashford or RLC. 

There's an argument that this system and playing SS just doesn't suit Sterling, but I'll give him another go there.  Rashford's impact off the bench is always a good plan b. 

So keep it as it is for me if there's no injuries. 

I think it should be 

Pickford

Walker  Stones  Cahill

Trippier           Dier           Rose

Loftus-Cheek   Sterling

Vardy   Kane

Sterling only keeps his place because the other choice is Lingard. We lacked that natural left footed player to get those first time crosses in. I would like to see Stones bring the ball out from the back more than he did v Tunisia so Dier is a natural choice to slot into the back three if needed. Dele has a knock no point risking albeit he was poor and RLC did well when he came on. Vardy in too to play on the shoulder and run in behind we never attempted that in the first game, probably due to tactics of the opposition more than anything. 

RLC in for Alli, let him recover from that knock in the last game ahead of the Belgium match. 

I'd keep Sterling in the starting line up because he needs a goal and Panama offers him a good chance of doing that. 

And I'd prefer a left footer at LWB so Rose in for Young. 

Cahill in for Trippier, Walker at right-back. Lessens the chance of dumb mistakes like Walker's. Cahill is experienced and even if he was THAT bad, it's still only Panama.

Sterling can start, but if he struggles again he has to be benched for the rest of the tournament. If you're struggling against Tunisia and Panama then you've had your chance.

Would also like subtitutions made a bit earlier. Vardy is exactly the chavvy 'nobhead m8' you need to get things lively when you need a goal.

Yes!

GK: Butland, LWB: Rose, LCB: Stones, CB, Cahill, RCB: Jones, RWB: Walker, DCM: Henderson, LCM: Delph, RCM: Loftus Cheek, ST: Vardy, ST: Kane.

Two proper strikers, a proper midfield and CBs in fact it's all players in their natural positions, need to thump Panama so I'd play that team, the defence is what I'd like it to stay as if we persist with the formation too :thup:

Sterling should keep his place. If Alli is unfit, don't play him. It's Panama, Alli can rest until he's fully fit for Belgium. RLC could play for a straight swap, or Dier if Southgate wants solidity.

Young should probably be switched for Rose to add width. Young seems to cut on his right one too many times. Delph can come in as well if he's back in time from his child getting born.

Vardy needs a runout though. Maybe sub him on for Rashford/Kane to rest them for Belgium. Maybe even rotate Dier and Henderson as well, they offer similar traits anyways.

1 hour ago, Pukey said:

Why would you change keeper?

It gives him his WC debut and further shows that there is no clear cut number 1 in Southgate' eyes which is healthy and keeps them on their toes. 

No one knew who was number 1 before the WC and I just think it'd be a good move giving Butland a start, it'd be better than a possible Pickford mistake, him then getting dropped and Butland coming in with the mindset he was backup, instead this is Southgate rotating before the big games so they are still fighting for that #1 position when the knockout stage arrives and whoever plays it's on merit.

2 hours ago, Hodgy said:

It gives him his WC debut and further shows that there is no clear cut number 1 in Southgate' eyes which is healthy and keeps them on their toes. 

No one knew who was number 1 before the WC and I just think it'd be a good move giving Butland a start, it'd be better than a possible Pickford mistake, him then getting dropped and Butland coming in with the mindset he was backup, instead this is Southgate rotating before the big games so they are still fighting for that #1 position when the knockout stage arrives and whoever plays it's on merit.

If he ****s up, England will need something against Belgium rather than having a decider just for who tops the group.

Rotate in the Belgium game if any, assuming Panama is beaten. England never qualify with a game to spare and it's time to start.

7 hours ago, Hodgy said:

That worked well with Mignolet/Karius

No, except the Alli thing, I'd start Sterling again but he's aware that Rashford will be coming on for him if things aren't going well, i.e. place/90 mins not guaranteed.

We don't need to be clever and start rotating, just play the best side and try to win

I do see Rashford as more of an impact sub.

I'd swap Dier for Alli just for the fact Lord Dele did **** all against Tunisia.

I'd like to see Stones swap with Maguire and let Stones push on a bit more.

Alli was playing well until his knock, dunno why he wasn't taken off sooner. Guess at half time he said he was fine but Southgate should really have seen he wasn't doing well and taken him off sooner.

10 hours ago, Pukey said:

Disagree, think you should pick a number 1 and stick with it. It potentially unsettles the defence as well, which is shaky enough as it is.

Most of the time I'd agree however my reasoning is down to Southgate being very clear that he had no number 1 and was very much undecided on that position, surely he would've been better off stating Pickford was his number 1 before? The fact he never done that and always said he was undecided is why I think Butland should get a chance but yes I'd usually agree to be fair.

11 hours ago, Hodgy said:

No, that is a bad idea. Our defence already doesn't inspire great confidence in defending terms so changing the GK just to give him a game wouldn't help matters. 

And also if Pickford made a mistake then the last thing Southgate should be doing would be to drop him, I'm 99% sure he'd keep his place. 

This is real life, not FM. 

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

This is real life, not FM. 

Never, really? :D

I explained one post up from yours why I thought it's a decent swap but I do see both sides, regardless it doesn't matter as at the end of this tournament we'll all be saying "arise Sir Gareth Southgate" as he'll have made a number of decisions we all think are terrible yet we'll all be singing "It's coming home" and wondering if this is FM due to him being a World Cup winning manager :hammer:

41 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Most of the time I'd agree however my reasoning is down to Southgate being very clear that he had no number 1 and was very much undecided on that position, surely he would've been better off stating Pickford was his number 1 before? The fact he never done that and always said he was undecided is why I think Butland should get a chance but yes I'd usually agree to be fair.

Southgate knew who his no.1 was going to be months ago. He just never came out and said it because he wanted to have the two of them 'competing' for the shirt. 

It's really not difficult. 

Changing the goal keeper just to give someone a WC cap is a very strange idea and makes no sense whatsoever.  Unless you have a bet on Butland making an WC appearance when he was a nipper and you're in line to make a lotta money :brock:

Pickford needs familiarly with the players in front of him and vice versa.  Unless he drops a clanger and is shot of confidence, there's absolutely no sensible argument to change him. 

edit: this part moved to the OFFICIAL England thread

14 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Cahill in for Trippier, Walker at right-back. Lessens the chance of dumb mistakes like Walker's. Cahill is experienced and even if he was THAT bad, it's still only Panama.

Why on earth would you drop Trippier?  He had a great game against Tunisia.  I'd keep the central defenders the same.

1 minute ago, Crispypaul said:

Why on earth would you drop Trippier?  He had a great game against Tunisia.  I'd keep the central defenders the same.

Trippier was the best player on the park against Tunisia, no way do you drop him. 

We've got too many good RB's, why can't one of them have a left foot :(

3 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

As it's Tunisia, I would expect most players to have a great game.

It's not so much I'm dropping Trippier, that I'm just moving Walker to the right. If Trippier was effective then by all means play him instead of Walker. He probably could do with the experience anyway, it shouldn't matter who starts against Panama.

Archived