Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I understand I'll have played a part with the tactics, but in those eight losing games we were dominating, but my strikers were fluffing everything and my defenders were making goal costing mistakes in most games, the same players who two weeks earlier were smashing sides above me 5-0.

This is also an assessment I've personally become suspicious about (which ties into my previous posts...) In 9 out 10 cases where somebody had claimed he were "dominating", the strikers fluffing tons of quality chances, it turned out that the player were purely focusing on the stats mostly, how he had more possession (doesn't tell a thing) and shots (a hugely simplistic stat), and took the few quality chances popping up in the highlights as dominating. As such, if you watched every shot, you would find speculative efforts, and for which there has never been a stat, which is attempts from set pieces in big numbers inflating those supposedly all conquering numbers big time. The latter of which realistically should have a far worse chance of conversion, as forwards are typically marked an in no space by definition. And they do, as evident from so many frustration posts. Maybe I'm too qucik to judge, but the next time somebody argues how he was so superior, take a look at the corner counts, which aren't always a clue, but can be. This is off a couple pages back.

r2mcs4.jpg

We're clocking in close to a dozen corners alone already, and it's yet not half time. Had he actually taken an unbiased and critical look at all off his shots, rather than stats and the few highlights, he might have seen the light of day. Similar goes for errors on the other end. However, they can happen more frequently if players are out of confidence. This is my experience, but in particular coupled with a highly aggressive tactics with loads of forward running and exposure, you can be tad more likely to ship goals/space, as the odd additionally tackle may go awry, and the ball turned over to the opposition as the additional pass goes astray during transitioning. At a certain level of aggressiveness, low confidence can certainly lead to additionally mistakes and space/opportunity/goals shipped, but I don't find that unrealistic.

If teams hit a slump they typically try to grind out results. I think that is how some of the frustration of the popular plug&play  / Steam workshop downloads can come from too. They oft are very aggressive by their very definition. So if you hit a slump, in particular if the typically few players providing defensive cover aren't competitive, that slump may further increase. I've argued AI may be affected before, which is Guardiola in-game, as he is given hugely aggressive traits. If things are flying... he's over the moon. On the odd run where they don't, he can sink as low as lower mid-table months into the first season, and if you watch, he's incredible aggressive in particular upon conceding in the game. Every successfully ball over the top / in between the channels leads to a possibly decent chance at that point.

@juji: Point well made and taken. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2016 at 21:43, Michael Zorc said:

My only wish for Christmas this year is that this gets fixed to allow those of us that want more compact defending from wide midfielders to somehow achieve it...whether it's the default movement or something that can be altered with instructions. This is one of the biggest disasters I've encountered playing a recent version of FM and it ruins the experience, so much so that I can't play FM17 and had to revert to FM16, which is something I can't remember doing very often in my 20+ years of playing the series (since CM Italia 94/95 Update). :(

Defending from throw-ins also needs it's own set of instructions in the set-piece creator, to allow us more managerial influence over what happens from these situations, as the defending here is also quite often a complete shambles - and has been for numerous versions of FM.

It's a nightmare. In my current save in South African first division now only 5 of the other 15 teams play with any wide midfielders or wingers, they are all compact in midfield. My wide midfielders of course stay too wide so opponents dominate possession and win just about every second ball. Doesn't help that instructions such as clear to wings and focus attacks right/attack seem to have no effect.  

1 hour ago, ac13 said:

Answering 4) When I score in the 90th minute to take a 1 goal lead- what would be the logical change? Defend, contain, control- doesn't matter, they don't listen. Last game changed to very deep defensive line and don't close down. Passing to short and low tempo. 93rd minute My winger has it in the corner just needs to keep position or pass it backwards. Instead he crosses into the middle where there is 1 attacker and 5 defenders. One headed clearance and a long ball over the top (because of course my defenders are practically on the halfway line despite all above and one defender being set to cover) and it is 3-3.

That would completely depend on the situation, how much pressure you're under, how effective that pressure. Context is key. I rarely give up a late goal, but that's usually because I setup up to counter a side being more aggressive when they concede, or make no changes at all because I back the way we are currently playing 

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

That would completely depend on the situation, how much pressure you're under, how effective that pressure. Context is key. I rarely give up a late goal, but that's usually because I setup up to counter a side being more aggressive when they concede, or make no changes at all because I back the way we are currently playing 

I gave the context. Counter gets a lot of players forward to strike on the break. Why would I want to send a lot of players forward when I only need to see out 2 minutes of play? 

Backing the way you are currently playing is also meaningless because you can totally dominate (opposition having 0 shots on target for 80 minutes) but then that tactic is somehow totally useless when the opposition changes to whatever ridiculous formation/style they play when chasing the game.

Counter does not have to see players bombing forward & if you're only changing mentality then you're asking for trouble as there's more t it than that.

2 hours ago, ac13 said:

I gave the context. Counter gets a lot of players forward to strike on the break. Why would I want to send a lot of players forward when I only need to see out 2 minutes of play? 

Backing the way you are currently playing is also meaningless because you can totally dominate (opposition having 0 shots on target for 80 minutes) but then that tactic is somehow totally useless when the opposition changes to whatever ridiculous formation/style they play when chasing the game.

1 hour ago, Barside said:

Counter does not have to see players bombing forward & if you're only changing mentality then you're asking for trouble as there's more t it than that.

Barside nails it. And if you think you gave all the context, then with respect, you're missing an awful lot out in a match. 

Your second paragraph is a misconception because you can still make minor changes. And you don't have to change the way your playing just because the opposition changes. Again there is a lot more context that would be needed here. 

On the surface it sounds like you're getting outmanouvered tactically by any AI change, but you'd need to offer up much more detail 

For some time fm has been privileging the managerial task of the manager over the coach one, sincerely I don't like this. I understand that in England the manager usually does those jobs, but I honestly can't imagine Guardiola negotiating the sub-19 physio contract....

On the other hand, I notice that in FM17 the number of injuries and their duration is awful, much less realistic than in previous versions.

And finally, the Spanish translation of this latest version is terribly bad.

Thanks.

EDIT: I use to print to a web page to export to Excel my staff, fixtures and players data, but in FM17 the .html file is not in Unicode and the non ASCII characters are represented in an awful way, different to FM16 and before versions. I don't know why.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, DrGerry said:

For some time fm has been privileging the managerial task of the manager over the coach one, sincerely I don't like this. I understand that in England the manager usually does those jobs, but I honestly can't imagine Guardiola negotiating the sub-19 physio contract....

On the other hand, I notice that in FM17 the number of injuries and their duration is awful, much less realistic than in previous versions.

And finally, the Spanish translation of this latest version is terribly bad.

Thanks.

EDIT: I use to print to a web page to export to Excel my staff, fixtures and players data, but in FM17 the .html file is not in Unicode and the non ASCII characters are represented in an awful way, different to FM16 and before versions. I don't know why.

Thanks.

If you have issues with the Spanish translation, you can always raise them here with examples https://community.sigames.com/topic/381476-spanish-issues-in-spanish-translation/.

Also, if you don't like negotiating contracts you can delegate this task (and lots of others) to another member of staff in the Staff Responsibilities screen.

8 minutes ago, herne79 said:

If you have issues with the Spanish translation, you can always raise them here with examples https://community.sigames.com/topic/381476-spanish-issues-in-spanish-translation/.

Also, if you don't like negotiating contracts you can delegate this task (and lots of others) to another member of staff in the Staff Responsibilities screen.

OK, thanks.

About the "delegate", you know (all we know) that it is suicidal.

Another thing I miss in FM17 is the "two line" in the offside replays, I don't know why it was out in 17 when it was a good thing the return in FM16.

19 minutes ago, Georgik said:

How do you prevent the opposition scoring almodt immediately after they concede ? Is this a known bug ? Because it happens way too often. Never had this problem in previois versions.

Trying issuing an assertive concentrate side line team talk to your players to keep them focused. Do this immediately when you score. 

4 hours ago, Georgik said:

How do you prevent the opposition scoring almodt immediately after they concede ? Is this a known bug ? Because it happens way too often. Never had this problem in previois versions.

How often is too often? Do you have lots of examples of this? They only thing the AI is likely to do is take on a more aggressive stance 

Just noticed something rather funny... I got a bid for a player who I would not have wanted to sell, certainly not for the amount offered. I didn't have a choice though, as my chairman accepted the bid on my behalf because "it was too good to turn down", and off he went. Then on my board screen it says "the board feel the decision to sell player x appears to be a poor financial deal for the club". Maybe you shouldn't have sold him then? :lol:

• SI Staff
23 minutes ago, kozmik said:

Just noticed something rather funny... I got a bid for a player who I would not have wanted to sell, certainly not for the amount offered. I didn't have a choice though, as my chairman accepted the bid on my behalf because "it was too good to turn down", and off he went. Then on my board screen it says "the board feel the decision to sell player x appears to be a poor financial deal for the club". Maybe you shouldn't have sold him then? :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to post kozmik. This would certainly be worth logging in our Other Gameplay Issues section, found here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/518-other-gameplay-issues/

If you happen to have one could you please upload a save from before the bid is accepted along with your post.

Cheers,
Seb.

• SI Staff

We're happy to announce we've just released update 17.2.1 for Football Manager 2017 which is available now to download through Steam. 

As always the update is fully save game compatible and if you don't immediately get the update, please exit and restart Steam. 

As always we ask users to please keep any feedback within the Feedback Thread.

FOOTBALL MANAGER 2017 -- UPDATE 17.2.1 CHANGE LIST
===================================================

STABILITY & PERFORMANCE
----------------------------------------------
- Fixed freeze on social media screen

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

Thanks for taking the time to post kozmik. This would certainly be worth logging in our Other Gameplay Issues section, found here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/518-other-gameplay-issues/

If you happen to have one could you please upload a save from before the bid is accepted along with your post.

Cheers,
Seb.

To be fair we were heavily in the red at the time, which is probably why the bid was accepted. The strange thing is that we had a tycoon takeover in the summer and I had, I think, stayed within the spending limits set in the summer. I also found it pretty strange that because of this financial situation my wage budget was cut from around 260k per week to 170k per week (spending was at about 190k per week) in the start of January. I understand that we were spending beyond our means but that would have been obvious to any idiot from the start. I mean, the whole purpose of a sugar daddy is that you're not dependent on sponsor deals and ticket sales, right?

The last time I ever believe any message saying "will stop at nothing to take the club to the top of domestic and continental football". :lol:

We were owned by a background sugar daddy before (I'm playing as Ebbsfleet), and I've seen a bit similar behavior before. Chairman concerned about the club's financial situation, can't offer me a new contract due to club debts etc. only to happily pump millions into the club's account a couple of weeks later. It's kind of got me thinking whether there's something wrong with sugar daddy behavior. Or maybe it depends on their attributes?

Anyway, I can't provide a save but will start a thread with screenshots when I have the time.

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, kozmik said:

To be fair we were heavily in the red at the time, which is probably why the bid was accepted. The strange thing is that we had a tycoon takeover in the summer and I had, I think, stayed within the spending limits set in the summer. I also found it pretty strange that because of this financial situation my wage budget was cut from around 260k per week to 170k per week (spending was at about 190k per week) in the start of January. I understand that we were spending beyond our means but that would have been obvious to any idiot from the start. I mean, the whole purpose of a sugar daddy is that you're not dependent on sponsor deals and ticket sales, right?

The last time I ever believe any message saying "will stop at nothing to take the club to the top of domestic and continental football". :lol:

We were owned by a background sugar daddy before (I'm playing as Ebbsfleet), and I've seen a bit similar behavior before. Chairman concerned about the club's financial situation, can't offer me a new contract due to club debts etc. only to happily pump millions into the club's account a couple of weeks later. It's kind of got me thinking whether there's something wrong with sugar daddy behavior. Or maybe it depends on their attributes?

Anyway, I can't provide a save but will start a thread with screenshots when I have the time.

Thanks kozmik.

Certainly worth posting in our Bugs' section about any issues you have spotted with Sugar Daddies and their behaviour, it does sound like you may have some situations worth looking into there.

On the "background sugar daddy" point - to clarify his role, a background sugar daddy acts as a "foreground" sugar daddy until the club is in the top division, at which point he will take more of a back seat, acting as if an underwriter.

Cheers,
Seb.

22 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Thanks kozmik.

Certainly worth posting in our Bugs' section about any issues you have spotted with Sugar Daddies and their behaviour, it does sound like you may have some situations worth looking into there.

On the "background sugar daddy" point - to clarify his role, a background sugar daddy acts as a "foreground" sugar daddy until the club is in the top division, at which point he will take more of a back seat, acting as if an underwriter.

Cheers,
Seb.

I don't really have a specific issue per se, more just a general feeling. The contract situation was ages ago after my first season, so that's long gone as I'm in season 7 now. Anyway, it feels like the sugar daddy is happy to invest into the club as much as needed (when we were promoted to league 2 the former chairman was happy to pay for a new stadium, for example). But it almost seems like he doesn't know he's willing to pump the millions in and reacts to a poor financial situation in the same way a "regular" chairman would. Obviously I have no knowledge of the underlying mechanics, so I suppose it could depend on the sugar daddy's attributes.

Thanks for the clarification on the different sugar daddy types, didn't know that.

1 hour ago, Per Annum said:

Game won't load since new update. Just CTD without ever appearing in task manager. Lovely.

Sympathy, but it worked flawlessly for me (the use of 'CTD' suggests Windows, which is what I'm running). I take it you've flagged this in the bugs forum? Can't be as simple as the update itself.

1) On the staff responsibilities page I have all training done by a staff member.

However when I have a youngster who I'm trying to train in an area he is not natural in and one I believe will benefit him, I alter his individual training myself.

I get presented with the option to over ride the staff member in control of training for this one instance and I find this useful because other players who I'm happy are trained by my staff, continue to be.

It seems that for some reason I am having to select the individual training for some players every month. but not all. I find this very strange and very tedious.

2) Why do I have to continually select players for the U23's until they are match fit before each U23 game? Surely they should stay selected until they are actually match fit?

3) When clicking 'Next Unread' in my in box, why is there ALWAYS a long delay before the 'insert team name' scout report appears? This happen EVERY time I receive a team scout report.

Other than that, (And 1 issue I've raised i the bug section) FM 17 has been great. Thanks.

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Sympathy, but it worked flawlessly for me (the use of 'CTD' suggests Windows, which is what I'm running). I take it you've flagged this in the bugs forum? Can't be as simple as the update itself.

Reinstall fixed it  after computer restarts didn't. Strop over

4 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

On another note. How do I temporarily take charge of my U23 team? The dropdown to change the manager is greyed out.

If you have a dedicated U-23 manager, you can't take charge of that team. (I think that's the case anyway)

7 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Just conceded a goal and I'm ecstatic about it. Why? Because it came from a step around dribble away from my full back leaving him standing, followed by a rabona cross. Superb.

last night I had mertesacker cruyff turn an attacker... something cheeky snuck in the update? Who was the player in your game? sounds good! highlight vid?

I think that the reputation of human manager is too much linked to the reputation of team and competition. I think that results achieved should have more weight in the algorithm used to calculate the manager reputation.

Then there is the problem of manager choosed by the AI, which is often weird, unrealistic and not linked to the results achieved by managers across last seasons.

3 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

last night I had mertesacker cruyff turn an attacker... something cheeky snuck in the update? Who was the player in your game? sounds good! highlight vid?

I'll try and put one up tonight.

I have no idea, maybe i'm just paying even more attention after that Rabona (Ivan Cavaleiro was the man by the way), but I'm seeing lots of lovely little touches and moves.

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I'll try and put one up tonight.

I have no idea, maybe i'm just paying even more attention after that Rabona (Ivan Cavaleiro was the man by the way), but I'm seeing lots of lovely little touches and moves.

Do you think anything else changed in yesterday's update beyond what was already mentioned?

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Do you think anything else changed in yesterday's update beyond what was already mentioned?

No, nothing else changed other than what was mentioned. 

Can end of season team talks lead to promises being made to players? I had a situation in my current season where I had a promise to a player to 'strengthen the first team squad' and couldn't remember making it, I assumed it had been in contract renewals and I just continued past the screen. Just had it come up again for the same player and another, but I know for certain it wasn't contract renewal related as I specifically looked out for it when renewing contracts. The only other thing it could be would be the end of season team talk, where I said I would be strengthening the team to try to avoid relegation (just had consecutive promotions). If that is the case, we should be given warning that we have made the promise, as it would be easy to be unaware without checking the promises tab.

1 hour ago, xtradj said:

the fixture lists are still producing 4 home and away games in a row

The only time I've noticed this is when cup games, replays and rescheduled league fixtures cause it.

18 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

Can end of season team talks lead to promises being made to players? I had a situation in my current season where I had a promise to a player to 'strengthen the first team squad' and couldn't remember making it, I assumed it had been in contract renewals and I just continued past the screen. Just had it come up again for the same player and another, but I know for certain it wasn't contract renewal related as I specifically looked out for it when renewing contracts. The only other thing it could be would be the end of season team talk, where I said I would be strengthening the team to try to avoid relegation (just had consecutive promotions). If that is the case, we should be given warning that we have made the promise, as it would be easy to be unaware without checking the promises tab.

Yes.

I had one when promoted where I stated I would be sticking mostly with the players that got us promoted and I ended up with around 5/6 promises to not sign replacement players for certain key/first teamers.

I tried to look this up but didn't get anywhere. Apologies if repeating.

Fresh save, new club.  Get offered the chance to play 1st team v u23s.  On accepting this, in FM2017 (happened on all three saves I've started on FM2017) I am controlling the u23 squad not the first team.

Couldn't think of a screen shot to illustrate the point, so text only. 

Thanks.

9 hours ago, johnhughthom said:

The only time I've noticed this is when cup games, replays and rescheduled league fixtures cause it.

Does it the moment I load up the game. Large database all English leagues

Apparently it's a ''known issue'' that was being looked into last month. So surprised it was not fixed in the latest update

Why is there no Select All button on the Select Nations screen?

There's been many years to put this in and it hasn't been done, even though it would improve player game set up speed significantly.

It's just a real ball ache to select each nation when I want to select all, or perhaps it would be faster to use this button and then deselect nations if I want to choose most nations but deselect some very minor ones. Have the button change to Deselect All and have the button alongside a "Select Major Football Nations" button which would select nations like France, Spain, Germany, England, Brazil etc where the best regens commonly come from.

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, permanentquandary said:

Why is there no Select All button on the Select Nations screen?

There's been many years to put this in and it hasn't been done, even though it would improve player game set up speed significantly.

It's just a real ball ache to select each nation when I want to select all, or perhaps it would be faster to use this button and then deselect nations if I want to choose most nations but deselect some very minor ones. Have the button change to Deselect All and have the button alongside a "Select Major Football Nations" button which would select nations like France, Spain, Germany, England, Brazil etc where the best regens commonly come from.

There is a select all/deselect all option for each continent which will select/deselect every nation within. It is the little tick/cross button besides the continent name.

Archived