Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, michelco said:

That thread have been closed. The word from SI when closing the thread was " This is an area of the game that we need to improve for future editions of the game and something that we have not addressed for this patch that we have just released" but it does not state if they will try and fix the issue for FM17 or if they have post poned it and fix it for FM18. 

Future editions of the game means FM18, based on precedent.  So I'd assume it's going to stay as-is, and if it's tweaked in the Feb/March patch, then that's a nice bonus.

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

Only IWB positioning in possession has been touched. All other DL/R positioning is as before. 

4 hours ago, iMan said:

Has there been a change to the positioning of the dl and dr positions? I'm playing two wing backs and they are all over the shop since the new update.

Their positioning seems off. 

Hi FM'ers.

Indeed. i'm facing the same problem as iMan.

Both my Complete Wing Back; attack on right, support on left, are running over places after the update.  Not too sure tho' if Roam from Positions Team Instruction affects the nature of their positioning.

By the way,

Now that i'm at the feedback page, need to check if it's a bug here.

In my Colombo v Milan overview page, the weather is indicated.  However, there are times when it goes missing. Eg Monopoli v Milan overview page.  So, is the missing weather a bug..?

Thank you.

Colombo v Milan_ Overview Overview.png

Monopoli v Milan_ Overview Overview.png

Very strange, one thing ... It has this new function called "Until complete knowledge" when you highlight a scout to make observation report ... There it appears that the task will last 3 months, but with a few days the scout completes 100% of the observation (few days). I think it's some Bug. In FM 16, what to do to achieve a 100% observation of a player.

58 minutes ago, vamcj said:

Very strange, one thing ... It has this new function called "Until complete knowledge" when you highlight a scout to make observation report ... There it appears that the task will last 3 months, but with a few days the scout completes 100% of the observation (few days). I think it's some Bug. In FM 16, what to do to achieve a 100% observation of a player.

Bug miserable!
I lost the desire to continue with this save.
Worse, I'm sure SI will not release a small patch just to fix this.
It's always like this, paid so dearly in the game and I can only play in the year after the release.
I'm super annoying.
Right now that SI has made a super positive ME, I will not be able to play because of a silly BUG of scout

14 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

What about it is better?

Some things that stand out to me are:

• improved goalkeeper positioning and improved player positioning in general
  • the increased decisions per second actually seems to be having an effect as players make smarter decisions that are closer to what you intended for them to do when you set up your tactic...and they also dribble a bit more realistically
  • marking is improved a bit...including that "prevent gk distribution" button which now works consistently
  • the players do a better job of following tactical instructions
  • strikers have more varied finishes (this doesn't make the ME better persay, but still noticeable)
  • player momentum has more of an effect in build-up play as players have done one-touch passing in the past, but in FM 17 they do more one-touch passes while running (depending on who is open) so counter attacks are more realistic taking advantage of too many players high up the pitch instead of being based on some defender doing a ridiculous mistake
  • the return of goals from free kicks
  • the return of goals from long range
  • instead of just trapping the ball and turning, you can actually see players putting their first touch in the direction they intend to go (see comment about player momentum)
  • when you put a guy to a post for a corner, they actually get balls that are close to them instead of just the ones that practically hit them in the face
  • and, of course, that frustrating crossing issue has been fixed

...although that bug where defenders pass back to the keeper only to miss and kick it out of bounds for a corner thing is still there...but doesn't happen that much...and, in this version, defenders are much more likely to give the ball away to the opposing striker when in possession, although that's clearly done on purpose and not a bug

1 hour ago, vamcj said:

It's always like this, paid so dearly in the game and I can only play in the year after the release.
I'm super annoying. Right now that SI has made a super positive ME, I will not be able to play because of a silly BUG of scout

In what way does this prevent you from playing the game? 

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

In what way does this prevent you from playing the game? 

For me, FM is formed by 5 pillars:
- Tactical System
-Market Transfer
-Training system
Search / Scout
-ME / Gameplay / AI

If any of these have fault / error loses grace to me.

Most recent patch seems to be one step forward immediately followed by one step back.

Scouting - now somewhat broken.  First report of a foreign player provides 100% knowledge but no price or salary estimate eg

Aw1BeQct.png

ME information windows randomly disappear (bug) and take a random amount of clicking to get back, at which point they promptly vanish again...

I hope these issues are addressed before January.

27 minutes ago, Harpoon76 said:

ME information windows randomly disappear (bug) and take a random amount of clicking to get back, at which point they promptly vanish again...

Replays seem to be causing the widgets issue.

I've turned replays off and the widgets are working again.

1 hour ago, Harpoon76 said:

Most recent patch seems to be one step forward immediately followed by one step back.

Scouting - now somewhat broken.  First report of a foreign player provides 100% knowledge but no price or salary estimate eg

Aw1BeQct.png

1 hour ago, Cougar2010 said:

Replays seem to be causing the widgets issue.

I've turned replays off and the widgets are working again.

Just had my first instance of widgets disappearing earlier today.
Replay settings are set to off as i don't use replays.

Just now, roykela said:

Should add that i have been unsuccesful in getting the lost widget back.
Every time i click the button that brings the options up it disappears just as quickly again, making it impossible to choose anything.

Is it the same two widgets?

Body language & performance for both teams?

Clicking on a player from the team rating widget to leave the match & go to their profile and then return to the match seems to reset the widgets.

As I said above though turning off replays has fixed it for me and the widgets haven't gone away since.

2 minutes ago, roykela said:

Should add that i have been unsuccesful in getting the lost widget back.
Every time i click the button that brings the options up it disappears just as quickly again, making it impossible to choose anything.

Unbelievable that they released a really great patch (17.2.0) and let pass:

-Widget Issues

-Problems with scout system

Unfortunate!

I had to ask for a "small" patch to correct this.

1 hour ago, Harpoon76 said:

Aw1BeQct.png

The guys are pretty good at releasing hotfixes to address knock-ons such as these.

I only have the body language widget up, out of those 2 you mentioned; but yes it's that one.

I will have to try clicking on a player in the team rating widget route. Hopefully that works for me as well.
I could possibly try to turn replays on, continue with the match, turn them off again and return. Could possibly work.

3 minutes ago, roykela said:

I only have the body language widget up, out of those 2 you mentioned; but yes it's that one.

I will have to try clicking on a player in the team rating widget route. Hopefully that works for me as well.
I could possibly try to turn replays on, continue with the match, turn them off again and return. Could possibly work.

I have also seen this issue. Usually tabbing out or replays gets rid of the body language widget and then when you try to click the box to get it back the box disappears. They come back after half-time and I've gone through clearing cache etc so it seems like it's defo a bug for the four widgets from *your team body language* down.

I personally don't play with wide midfielders on wingers but I've been watching opposition sides who do, and I can't say I've noticed anything untoward. In my last match, I was up against a 4-4-2 system, and their wide players never once stayed too wide in the highlights I saw. Maybe it depends on the tactic/mentality. 

Wing backs seem to be rising in prominence again. Very high on the assists. 

That may in part be owed to how poor defending is (from what I've seen) when faced against a front three at the moment. I've begun noticing that a lot of the time if there is only a 2 CB pairing they will both stand off collectively the 3 attackers (even with a DM present nearby) and it results in an awful lot of uncontested crosses which can be scored quite easily. 

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I personally don't play with wide midfielders on wingers but I've been watching opposition sides who do, and I can't say I've noticed anything untoward. In my last match, I was up against a 4-4-2 system, and their wide players never once stayed too wide in the highlights I saw. Maybe it depends on the tactic/mentality. 

It's contextual, but what I see more, is central mids moving very close together. 

So far i think this is down to high closing down, looking at whether behaviour at that level should be changed

4 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's contextual, but what I see more, is central mids moving very close together. 

So far i think this is down to high closing down, looking at whether behaviour at that level should be changed

This. As far as the wingers, I always have them man marking opposing fullbacks with "Mark tigher" on so they do follow those instructions most of the time unless the fullback goes all the way to the byline. I didn't check the workrate on my players though so I'm sure this would affect the marking quite a bit. I do not usually let do them zonal marking so I wouldn't know about any positioning issues. My problem is, as themadsheep said, with the central midfielders playing too close to each other. I'm trying the "Move into channels" button to see if that fixes it, because, otherwise, in my tactic, the CMs playing too close to each other leaves loads of space between the striker and CM and also between the winger and CM.

7 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's contextual

Was this touched by the patch though? Previous this was anything but contextual, at least not in a very intelligent way. Things that would need stamping out though: This isn't a bug as such, this is a means to have better support for the backs, of which there is nothing wrong with in itself. Similar to previous, there wasn't a "crossing issue", same as now there isn't a "wide midfielder" issue (crossing accuracy itself was significantly lower than in football). It is a combination of things. I'd call it the "central midfielders getting isolated" issue, coupled with the players centrally in front of them (forwards) traditionally not much putting a foot in. However it is/was clearly affecting matches, up to the point of worse sides getting a serious foot into matches in a way in which they had no business to do so. Firstly they can chase better quality squads all over the pitch. Secondly it lead to CBs stepping out of the line additionally times, as far easier than previous central spaces are overloaded. Thirdly, it also causes goals directly that ways, also for weaker sides, and causes them to concede less, as the undermanned side would struggle to win the ball back and launch additionally attacks, in particular if the opponent was encouraging recycling the ball (tactics instructions).

That does not mean the game were unplayable, that you couldn't make a side perform with any formation or anything. Still others can cope with that better, others less. Don't see what's the deal with acknowledging that. As for me personally, at least in individually matches this caused some of the more unfortunate ripples on match dynamics ever since initially FM 2015 (duties for attacking players not only linked to forward runs, but also contradictory to defensive/tracking behavior, and as such AI sides also having up to 3-5 players either retreating deep or parking at the half way line depending on which -- and all the match play that had to follow, scorelines included). Or early FM 2013, where due to a lack of closing down initially in the midfield, matches played out like handball with each side retreating to the box on dropping the ball. The long-term solution likely will be to get teams better defend as a unit, rather than effectively breaking them into separate units of x (which is how this effectively plays out). I have faith with this, as all of the previous was eventually addressed. CMs bunching is another thing though. Overall in particular in terms of attacking, there is some really neat stuff to be seen with some of the overhauls, and attempts at improving defenses are always to be applauded.

edit: Overall I want to repeat that it is preferably for SI to get some additional advice from their football contacts, rather than Beta Tester A, General Discussion poster B or even me. You will get different opinions on this, but preferably they need to be as educated as possible. The perennial injury moanees etc. have arguably have had too much of an influence on what is supposed to be a footie sim, after all. ;-)

1 hour ago, Svenc said:

edit: Overall I want to repeat that it is preferably for SI to get some additional advice from their football contacts, rather than Beta Tester A, General Discussion poster B or even me. You will get different opinions on this, but preferably they need to be as educated as possible. The perennial injury moanees etc. have arguably have had too much of an influence on what is supposed to be a footie sim, after all. ;-)

this! people who don't see the issue in defensive phase simply don't know how a set up defence should be played. it isn't a matter of opinion but knowledge. it doesn't mean the game is broken or unplayable as it is currently a deliberate design from SI that makes the current ME produce believable results while preventing the full back issue of last year. 

however, while most users don't see it, it is stillonly a little better solution than if SI chose to play a match on a triangle pitch to take the full backs out of the game :D seems like SI did what can't be done in tactics any more... they gamed the game to produce the result :D

1.thumb.jpg.547b61a5ed864b47fc8d3fcd0515d8db.jpg

24 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

this! people who don't see the issue in defensive phase simply don't know how a set up defence should be played. it isn't a matter of opinion but knowledge. it doesn't mean the game is broken or unplayable as it is currently a deliberate design from SI that makes the current ME produce believable results while preventing the full back issue of last year. 

however, while most users don't see it, it is stillonly a little better solution than if SI chose to play a match on a triangle pitch to take the full backs out of the game :D seems like SI did what can't be done in tactics any more... they gamed the game to produce the result :D

A specific thread was created to discuss this issue and so avoid such comments becoming lost in the general feedback thread.  Please try to use it :thup:.  It will also help SI keep track of the discussion.

Whether people see the issue or not is now largely irrelevant anyway as SI have acknowledged there is an issue and logged it for change.

25 minutes ago, Harpoon76 said:

I know SI state they don't discuss patches until they are released, but the scouting bugs (no estimate cost) don't half make transfer windows nigh impossible.  You scout a player but have no idea if they are in your budget or not.

Doesn't make it impossible. Make a bid and find out if he is in budget. You may unsettle the player and find him transfer listed a couple of weeks later and benefit from further reduction in price and wage demands.

56 minutes ago, Harpoon76 said:

I know SI state they don't discuss patches until they are released, but the scouting bugs (no estimate cost) don't half make transfer windows nigh impossible.  You scout a player but have no idea if they are in your budget or not.

Does make it a bit more difficult.  Hopefully a fix isn't too far away.  SI are pretty good at addressing issues like this.

7 minutes ago, ianscousemac said:

Does make it a bit more difficult.  Hopefully a fix isn't too far away.  SI are pretty good at addressing issues like this.

What are you talking about? The bug that causes a player's knowledge to reach 100% overnight when asking the pro to create reports?

17 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Is it the same two widgets?

Body language & performance for both teams?

Clicking on a player from the team rating widget to leave the match & go to their profile and then return to the match seems to reset the widgets.

As I said above though turning off replays has fixed it for me and the widgets haven't gone away since.

Tried it now and unfortunately it didn't work.
Clicked on a player from the team rating widget to leave the match and went to their profile. Returned to the match but the widget is still gone.

Turned replays on, watched a couple and turned it off. Didn't do anything either.
It's simply gone. I will try one more thing and that is to clear the cache to see if that works.

Clearing the cache worked.
Didn't come back automatically but i had to bring up the list again and this time, after clearing the cache, it stayed up so i could actually choose widgets.

Don't know why it just randomly disappeared though sometime in the middle of a long session.

13 hours ago, santy001 said:

Wing backs seem to be rising in prominence again. Very high on the assists. 

That may in part be owed to how poor defending is (from what I've seen) when faced against a front three at the moment. I've begun noticing that a lot of the time if there is only a 2 CB pairing they will both stand off collectively the 3 attackers (even with a DM present nearby) and it results in an awful lot of uncontested crosses which can be scored quite easily. 

In my game: Three best players in the league (based on average rating) are fullbacks. My fullbacks has over 10 asist every season.

Now had a chance to play the game for a few weeks and I have to say on the whole I am very impressed! I really like the new camera angle - hoping this is a pre-cursor to a kind of player cam angle / better TV angle / dug-out view as the view behind the goal can be a little limiting seeing the action in central midfield as you'd expect. Love the new pre-match warm-up, montage. Not won anything yet but wondering whether it extends to that type of scenario too

My only constructive feedback so far is..

> On the social feed, love it but there always seems to be the couple of positives and one negative approach. Totally accept that the social space is not always harmonious but perhaps some of the "not for me" or "he was crap" type ones could be replaced by an alternative suggestion i.e. the runner up to player of the month being suggested as a better winner, or another player better deserving of man of the match. Similarly it seems a little negative to contracts to youngsters; assuming the club even say that a youngster has signed a contract you'd have to be an ultra pessimist to lament it - so maybe a different approach for youth/first contracts than for seasoned professionals?

> Also on the social feed maybe 2 tabs - one for your team and another for general?

> Contracts - any chance you can fix the long-running issue of money not being linked to the contract. What I mean by that is I offer a kid £250 a week, the drop downs are £200 and £2,000, 5,000 and so on. Same with add-ons - £250 a week but bonus drop downs of £55, 1,200, 5,000 as opposed to more appropriate values linked to the base contract / contract type being offered such as £50, £100, £150 and so on

> Analysis - love this feature but have a feeling it will only be truly useful in a few versions time. At the minute it feels like a news report rather than analysis. Rather than telling me the story of the match I need it to tell me stats - who ran what, who kept the ball and conversely who didn't, who put in a real shift vs. who was on the periphery. Critically where did my chances/goals or their chances/goals come from. Over a few weeks I need them to call out themes i.e. a certain player keeps losing the ball in key areas by trying long-range passes. Basically stuff I can do things about. Then this feature will be awesome!

5 hours ago, ianscousemac said:

Does anyone know since the update to 17.2 if a 17.2 database folder is created?  My game says 17.2 but I can't find the folder.   17.0, 17.01, 17.10 and 17.12 are all present in the data folder. 

because there is no data change in this patch, so there is no new folder.

5 hours ago, smajliss said:

In my game: Three best players in the league (based on average rating) are fullbacks. My fullbacks has over 10 asist every season.

Wish I could have that. My right back is consistently the worst performer in the team. Had three different right backs in my current season, all of whom more than good enough to play the position, all of them with an average rating of 6.5 or less, it's becoming a real issue for me, Every other member of my back four get similar ratings, but the right back is always rated far lower. 

Archived