Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

13 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Anyone know what the crack is with Data Analysts and Sports Scientists? Attribute wise, and what knowledge you actually receive, what's the point/advantage in them?

There are a lot of threads about it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel Man Utd in this game are so dominant, I have started more than 20+ saves in England and in each time I go and see how the league table looks, they are on top, sometimes winning 4 times the league in a row, all the games they lost is just a mere 1-0's, just compare that to how they do IRL :p

Anyways, it isn't that much of big deal just that I feel I haven't seen one team being so dominant in previous versions, it was a mix.

16 hours ago, janrzm said:

Unfortunately that is the game telling you that your tactics aren't working, I'd personally prefer it if you just created less chances in the first instance. I was exactly where you are a week ago, 60% possession, 25 chances 0 goals and shots all over the place. Now it's gone full circle, I'm reaching the point where my fullbacks are my main providers and they look pretty similar to last year in terms of match winners. Still on my Newcastle save, 20 games in to the first season in the Premier League, Right back has 11 assists, left back 7.......

what tactic are you playing? I don't want to start a mass panic...but my LB Haidara was voted player of the year for me season 2 ... and my RB Tavernier was signing of the season. not worried as such, because for a lot of the season I played with no wingers... either a 4312 or 433 narrow... so would expect higher than usual output from my attacking full backs compared to say ... a 442 with full backs on support.

although my top 3 assisters were full backs with Anita my back up RB getting 11 assists... Tavernier just ahead and Haidara over 15. My AP, DLF and RPM less than 10 assists each (I know playmakers are often the assist of the assist).

34 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

what tactic are you playing? I don't want to start a mass panic...but my LB Haidara was voted player of the year for me season 2 ... and my RB Tavernier was signing of the season. not worried as such, because for a lot of the season I played with no wingers... either a 4312 or 433 narrow... so would expect higher than usual output from my attacking full backs compared to say ... a 442 with full backs on support.

although my top 3 assisters were full backs with Anita my back up RB getting 11 assists... Tavernier just ahead and Haidara over 15. My AP, DLF and RPM less than 10 assists each (I know playmakers are often the assist of the assist).

yeah full backs are still overpowered, and the better the players the better I achieve, my tactic is centrally focused yet my full backs get so many assists which is understandable but the better the fullbacks, the better my performances

18 minutes ago, penza said:

yeah full backs are still overpowered, and the better the players the better I achieve, my tactic is centrally focused yet my full backs get so many assists which is understandable but the better the fullbacks, the better my performances

I guess the big thing for me is making sure in a tactic favourable to attacking full backs... they cant achieve far better ratings and assists than a winger or inside forward would in a tactic suited to them.

i.e. 4312 where my attacking width is coming from full backs... yes they will get some assists... but if they get 30 assists and average rating of 8... can I see the same thing in a 343 with wingers? or 433 wide with inside forwards?

So far... not a problem but I will start to observe more closely. My full backs were the best players that season and got the most assists... but not crazy numbers as seen in FM16 ... and I believe I can replicate 10-20 assists from a winger based on my Arsenal BETA save. would be interested to see if people in the full version are seeing appropriate levels of assists/avg rating from players they deem to be the providers in their tactic.

I don't know if this is a bug or just a Spurs thing.  I started off the season with transfers blocked.  Leading the league and up comes the January transfer window and the Board give me a whopping £375K.  I am literally crying here watching other teams snap up my targets!  Especially as our overall balance is sitting a lovely £66m and we've made a £32m profit so far this season......

I've run into two issues. Not sure if either is a bug so haven't posted anything in the bugs thread. I've been running a save with Lokomotiv Moscow. I'm in March of 2017. The game was started with an editor file that opens the third division of Russian football as playable.

1. The Loko reserve squad - listed as the amateur team - has no matches scheduled. I can only schedule friendlies. I turned the Loko 2 affiliation in a loan-affiliation, but they apparently play so low in the pyramid that they have no matches scheduled either. I'm gonna start up a new test save tonight to see if this relates to the editor file. On FM16, both the reserve and youth team had fixtures.

2. My sponsorships expired at the beginning of January. No new ones negotiated. A lot of the sponsorships in Russia expire at the end of June, so it might just be waiting it out until then to arrange new ones. But its a bit worrisome as sponsorships are a huge part of the finances for a club in Russia. Simply put, the club is not financially sustainable without sizable sponsorship deals. Even winning the league only provides a relatively small prize. TV money is ridiculously low.

12 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

BigPapa, that sounds iffy. I'd upload the save if you could  

On point 2, I'm not sure TV money is big in Russia tbh. worth raising as a counter point though 

I'll check the default data without any editor files before I do. It might just be the file I'm using that messed up the fixtures.

And TV money isn't significant in Russia. So getting 15k for a televised match might be fine and accurate. Its more the lack of new sponsors that concerns me. I'm holding out hope that new agreements are made where most others end, in June. If not, the club won't be able to operate at all.

30 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Seriously? You achieve better with better players? 

Surely that needs fixed asap :lol:

thank you for the sarcasm! i was talking about the full backs its enough for both to be great and you beat the game....

5 hours ago, GSevensM75 said:

I don't know if this is a bug or just a Spurs thing.  I started off the season with transfers blocked.  Leading the league and up comes the January transfer window and the Board give me a whopping £375K.  I am literally crying here watching other teams snap up my targets!  Especially as our overall balance is sitting a lovely £66m and we've made a £32m profit so far this season......

No one experienced anything similar in the first season?  I'm just surprised that Levy only sanctioned £375K.

8 minutes ago, GSevensM75 said:

No one experienced anything similar in the first season?  I'm just surprised that Levy only sanctioned £375K.

Might be worth asking in the spurs specific thread as more people in there will have played as them. Probably just not that many people who picked that particular club.

16 minutes ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Might be worth asking in the spurs specific thread as more people in there will have played as them. Probably just not that many people who picked that particular club.

Good idea, although the Spurs thread is pretty inactive.  January transfer window shut and my Premier League rivals were spending galore and I was unable to do anything.  Very frustrating!

1 hour ago, penza said:

thank you for the sarcasm! i was talking about the full backs its enough for both to be great and you beat the game....

This is my experience also. They don't dominate every game to quite the extent of FM16 but the assists are still excessive IMO. So far after 28 games, my attacking midfield trio have contributed a realistic 14 assists. In comparison my CWB's have 27 between them.

2 minutes ago, janrzm said:

This is my experience also. They don't dominate every game to quite the extent of FM16 but the assists are still excessive IMO. So far after 28 games, my attacking midfield trio have contributed a realistic 14 assists. In comparison my CWB's have 27 between them.

My two first choice wide players have 40 assists between them, throw in the rotation and its 67, AMC and MC starting trio have 27 assists

Comes down to set ups

35 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

My two first choice wide players have 40 assists between them, throw in the rotation and its 67, AMC and MC starting trio have 27 assists

Comes down to set ups

I don't want any setup to ever be that dominant. But that's the game in a nutshell, too hard some don't like it, too easy is almost as bad but without the hair loss. :lol:  Very difficult to hit that balance, I guess we just need advances in Ai and ME but they only come with time. 

7 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

BigPapa, that sounds iffy. I'd upload the save if you could  

On point 2, I'm not sure TV money is big in Russia tbh. worth raising as a counter point though 

As a follow up, I removed the data files and started several new saves. The issue remained. Realized its because the reserve team - or what would be the reserve team - is set up as amateur, instead of being a normal U21 like every other Russian club has and like Loko had on FM16. Not sure if this is accurate but seems odd. Posted as a league bug, but not certain if that's the best place.

20 minutes ago, Bigpapa42 said:

As a follow up, I removed the data files and started several new saves. The issue remained. Realized its because the reserve team - or what would be the reserve team - is set up as amateur, instead of being a normal U21 like every other Russian club has and like Loko had on FM16. Not sure if this is accurate but seems odd. Posted as a league bug, but not certain if that's the best place.

They will flag it in another area if it needs to be moved, Cheers

I took a break from the game after FM2014 and decided to come back for this. I have to say I'm disappointed by how little has changed, so I think I'll stay away completely from now on. I'd love this game, if this was my first FM, but since I've been around for a while, I'll have to let it go. It's not worth it.

Obviously the game is very good, the best of its kind, but so much is missing and so many things get very repetitive very quickly. (Being a professional writer, I could, if employed, triple or quadruple the amount of match commentary in a week, for instance.)

Injuries are still extremely straightforward, although in real life they are anything but. Nobody ever gets an injury setback ("We're sorry to report that Emre Can's hamstring has gone again, and he won't be making a comeback as quickly as we initially anticipated") or a surprise ("It appears that our initial diagnosis was a bit too stark, and we're happy to report that Emre Can should be available at least a week before what we previously assumed"). There are no notable individual reactions ("John Terry is utterly devastated by his crucial penalty miss in the final"). Idiocies abound in the match engine, which appears to be the same as it was in FM2014, except that goalkeepers make some extraordinarily stupid errors with alarming frequency.

And so on.

47 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

I took a break from the game after FM2014 and decided to come back for this. I have to say I'm disappointed by how little has changed, so I think I'll stay away completely from now on. I'd love this game, if this was my first FM, but since I've been around for a while, I'll have to let it go. It's not worth it.

Obviously the game is very good, the best of its kind, but so much is missing and so many things get very repetitive very quickly. (Being a professional writer, I could, if employed, triple or quadruple the amount of match commentary in a week, for instance.)

Injuries are still extremely straightforward, although in real life they are anything but. Nobody ever gets an injury setback ("We're sorry to report that Emre Can's hamstring has gone again, and he won't be making a comeback as quickly as we initially anticipated") or a surprise ("It appears that our initial diagnosis was a bit too stark, and we're happy to report that Emre Can should be available at least a week before what we previously assumed"). There are no notable individual reactions ("John Terry is utterly devastated by his crucial penalty miss in the final"). Idiocies abound in the match engine, which appears to be the same as it was in FM2014, except that goalkeepers make some extraordinarily stupid errors with alarming frequency.

And so on.

Great post . Hope SI can take something out of this. How hard can it be to ask 1-2 people to add hundreds and hundreds of new lines, both for ME , injuries and other interactions. I'd even do it for free! 

8 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Comes down to set ups

Setups do play a role, however I still feel fullbacks are slightly overpowered unfortunately. And whats with players ripping these first touch amazing crosses in this game. Happens too often, at all levels. Players are whipping in picture perfect crosses without a first touch. Needs fixing

1 hour ago, Preveza said:

Setups do play a role, however I still feel fullbacks are slightly overpowered unfortunately. And whats with players ripping these first touch amazing crosses in this game. Happens too often, at all levels. Players are whipping in picture perfect crosses without a first touch. Needs fixing

its getting so boring thus why I stopped posting on this forum. never disliked an FM game so much, used to love it. Uninstalled it :(

FM 2016 full-backs ruined that game for me.

FM 2017... 50% as bad as 2016, but still ruins the game for me. Again, in top 10 average ratings, 3/4 are full backs....

How can such a company miss this, and not fix after 2 years it's beyond my understanding...

6 minutes ago, Alexivan said:

FM 2016 full-backs ruined that game for me.

FM 2017... 50% as bad as 2016, but still ruins the game for me. Again, in top 10 average ratings, 3/4 are full backs....

How can such a company miss this, and not fix after 2 years it's beyond my understanding...

is it for the AI too or just you? I'm not seeing it so much this year. In my team ... yes full backs have most assists and highest rating.. but only in my current save using a 4312 narrow tactic where my full backs are the wide attackers. the AI teams aren't having the same issue. Can you send a screen shot of your current save player ratings from the league player stats screen?

I didn't play FM2016 (see above), so I didn't realize the full-back thing was a continuing issue from before. Full backs do get an awful lot of assists.

I'm not sure if they're related issues, but AMCs don't seem particularly useful, or useful at all. AML and AMR are fine.

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

is it for the AI too or just you? I'm not seeing it so much this year. In my team ... yes full backs have most assists and highest rating.. but only in my current save using a 4312 narrow tactic where my full backs are the wide attackers. the AI teams aren't having the same issue. Can you send a screen shot of your current save player ratings from the league player stats screen?

I've simulated a full season, playing a 100k player database, just to check this. I wasn't involved a bit in managing any team.

In the TOP5 leagues worlwide, simulated in FULL details, there's at least 2 fullbacks in the TOP10 average ratings. I even had in Premier League both Arsenal full backs in the TOP 10. I didn't even checked the assists charts after i saw this.

4 minutes ago, Alexivan said:

In the TOP5 leagues worlwide, simulated in FULL details, there's at least 2 fullbacks in the TOP10 average ratings. I even had in Premier League both Arsenal full backs in the TOP 10. I didn't even checked the assists charts after i saw this.

You should as the ratings on previous were in large parts also bumped because every crap played by the backs was picked up as a "key pass" purely statistically, which bumped their ratings all by themselves additionally. Never trust purely numbers. That doesn't only go for shots, cccs, anything. That goes for every single number in the game. (And I agree it's real bad if they aren't at least somewhat reliable, though I will never succumb to the unlogics that stats and numbers would ever paint a fully picture).

While this is not game-breaking, it totally breaks the immersion for me. I can never judge a fullback in this game, because of these broken stats.

Though, after 2 years of dissappointment in FM and checking different IRL stats, there is one thing that we may miss in the whole big picture : 

IRL, usually, player like Pogba tend to be overrated, even by football experts or stats sites like WhoScored, for example.

Then, player position; strikers/attacking midfielders tend to always have better ratings, due to their contributions on scoring goals.

This is why, in every player statistic sites, in every TOP AVR chart, you will get overwhelmed by those kind of overhyped players/positions.

Meanwhile, FM, being a souless computer, doesn't gives a **** about the name/position of the player, and thus, probably, rewards other positions that IRL they get underrated, and looks out of place in FM.

5 minutes ago, Alexivan said:

While this is not game-breaking, it totally breaks the immersion for me. I can never judge a fullback in this game, because of these broken stats.

Though, after 2 years of dissappointment in FM and checking different IRL stats, there is one thing that we may miss in the whole big picture : 

IRL, usually, player like Pogba tend to be overrated, even by football experts or stats sites like WhoScored, for example.

Then, player position; strikers/attacking midfielders tend to always have better ratings, due to their contributions on scoring goals.

This is why, in every player statistic sites, in every TOP AVR chart, you will get overwhelmed by those kind of overhyped players/positions.

Meanwhile, FM, being a souless computer, doesn't gives a **** about the name/position of the player, and thus, probably, rewards other positions that IRL they get underrated, and looks out of place in FM.

yes this is more the case and why im not too concerned by FM17 compared to FM16 ... im asking a lot of my full backs and im winning so they are going to be vital and get the ratings/assists to back that up. What would be a concern is if I cant get the same output from wigners in say a 343 where im asking them to do a lot of work. i.e. full backs in a 4312 im asking them to defend all the wide space alone and be my attacking width

so in a 343 id be asking my wingers to defend the wide space alone and be my attacking width ... can they also get a seasonal avg rating of 7.5 + and can they also get 20 assists each... to be tested. seems like others are having good results from wingers.

12 hours ago, Alexivan said:

I can wholly relate to the immersion thing, as for me the ratings I've never paid much attention to them, but it's other areas I care about likewise. There is obviously Maths behind them (to simplify: player misses key tackle, rating goes down, vice versa it goes up), plus in real football ratings I encounter the most are wholly subjective affairs. On FM naturally they bleed over into other areas of the game, as they draw direct links to:  A player's awareness of his own performance. Awards depending on which (World Player Of The Year etc. seems to factor in reputation higher than others compared to purely performance ratings which is how it arguably should be). How the player is assessed in terms of performance by every manager in general, which affects interest shown too. And several more. And that would be the bigger issue [for me].

The issue at least sometimes isn't the actual genuinely play happening entirelly, but the stats algorithms which are purely Maths assessing that second by second play and how stuff is weighted in. I still find it highly dubious how post-match reports are so focused on (shot) numbers pretty much entirelly. Sometimes those reports can be outright comical, like when one side spams lots of crap shots and was reportedly hugely unlucky/superior, whilst the other has 1/3 of those attempts but all the best chances fall to them --  same as a side never stretching a defense from open play and spamming the bulk of attempts from set pieces galore -- the game does not recognize that any. It's not only comical, it is hugely misleading to the player, who would likewise take that as gospel and conclude well just unlucky. But then the game has made very few (and some very questionably) statistically distinctions between finishes in matches for ages. You won't get this to a point where actual football analysis is, in particular as actually analysis assesses the quality of each shot and applies a value individually -- and a human eye is doing all that. See more advanced stats appearing in popular media in recent times, such as Expected Goals. However if the game were to start making an actual distinction at least regarding the source of the build-up, which isn't even a subjective stats (though there would be made a cut-off when the move is counted as such), that were a finely start. Translated to player ratings, the less subjective stuff is weighted in here (how much of a key pass was that key pass?), the probably better. But that is probably a tough task.

Generally agree though that inevitably even looking at the play, this will never fully replicate actually football. Take the positioning shapes talked about for instance, there arguably aren't that many sides that defend as teams often do on FM, with widespread teams affording forwards barely getting behind the ball, etc..

20 hours ago, Preveza said:

Lets just hope the next patch is gameplay heavy and irons out a lot of these issues in the ME. 

they wont fix it for the same reason that they didnt for fm17 as if you try to fix that then another area will become 'OP' so to speak if not they would have fixed it for FM17. It is an issue but not a game-breaking one thus will see.

24 minutes ago, penza said:

they wont fix it for the same reason that they didnt for fm17 as if you try to fix that then another area will become 'OP' so to speak if not they would have fixed it for FM17. It is an issue but not a game-breaking one thus will see.

Well that's not true. mostly because full back defending was looked at before release...

Please  don't pass on incorrect speculation as fact.

• SI Staff
On 07/12/2016 at 07:04, xzar_monty said:

More variation would be great, of course. However, I think you underestimate the work and resources involved. To quadruple what is there in the match engine commentary would mean writing over 270,000 words - I am not entirely sure you would manage that in a week! We also have to factor in proof-reading, coding it all in and testing. This is before we even think about translating it all into another 16 languages which also involves further language specific testing.

On 12/7/2016 at 12:16, Preveza said:

Lets just hope the next patch is gameplay heavy and irons out a lot of these issues in the ME. 

This. We're still playing the beta ME so I'm hoping the next update will include some nice enhancements.

And please...fix the goalkeepers. Some of the animations are poor to say the least.

Just to clarify to people with SI doing the scouting things.
Greenland is not a part of North America, but rather Denmark/Scandinavia - noticed the flaw when I hovered my mouse over the Scouting Knowledge area.
Hope this is corrected for FM18 and onwards.

It is quite frustrating to look through this thread and others and see people complaining about issues that were present in FM2016 and were extensively reported.  I'd really like to play a version of FM that had both a reasonably functional promise system and functional inverted wingbacks and sweepers.

2 hours ago, mcswifty said:

Just to clarify to people with SI doing the scouting things.
Greenland is not a part of North America, but rather Denmark/Scandinavia - noticed the flaw when I hovered my mouse over the Scouting Knowledge area.
Hope this is corrected for FM18 and onwards.

Geography wise it is in North America although it does belong to the Kingdom of Denmark.

Wasnt sure where to ask, but just got a message about Brexit. It mentions that the Bosman ruling has been scrapped and no player will be able to sign PCAs or move freely at the end of their contract without compensation.

What exactly does this consist of? Does it cover the whole world or just the UK?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wasnt sure where to ask, but just got a message about Brexit. It mentions that the Bosman ruling has been scrapped and no player will be able to sign PCAs or move freely at the end of their contract without compensation.

What exactly does this consist of? Does it cover the whole world or just the UK?

Just the UK - Brexit = British exit from the EU.

2 hours ago, Stewart91 said:

Geography wise it is in North America although it does belong to the Kingdom of Denmark.

Yes, I'm sorry about that. I spoke too soon without knowing the entire details of the geographic regions.
However, I must proclaim to SI, that it should fall under Scandinavian scouting areas as....

Ethnic groups 88% (Inuit and Inuit-Danishmixed ), 12% Europeans, mostly Danish.

- As stated on Wikipedia.
And also since its Administrated by Denmark.
And that the main languages used there are danish and inuit.

And on a more personal note - I hope to see them join the playable leagues next year. :D

The board secretly selling players without letting you know and not even letting you dispute the transfer is extremely annoying. This is a game we are supposed to be able to have some light-hearted fun with yet your hands become completely tied and bad offers are accepted.  I've never had this issue happen so frequently before and especially not with offers so consistently low, it makes it impossible to effectively manage smaller clubs.

At the VERY least you should have given us the emotional satisfaction to try dispute the claim and have it rejected so I as a manger can quit the club solely due to the interference from the board, which I'm sure many managers would do as selling a player without ANY input from the manager is something that simply does not happen.

There has to be some sort of reasoning and compromise from the board so you at least get a chance to say ANYTHING and there NEEDS to be a threaten to quit option as a club is not going to let go of a manager bringing the club their biggest succeses in their history over a lousy offer they could get any day of the week.

It's not clever and it's not realistic, it's just artificial challenge that takes fun out of the game. We already have to deal with players being unhappy, with the board pressuring sales and with low release clauses being forced in contracts by players...all this I can put up with, but the board accepting offers without ANY input and encountering a moment in game where hey SUPRISE your player is gone, that's not cool.

By the way I did quit afterwards and in the following interviews from the media there was no option to even communicate my dissatisfaction with the board regarding this issue or pretty much any issue.  I basically had to answer "Hey I quit because I'm looking for bigger and better things". This would obviously be a very frustrating experience for any manager and we don't even have the option to vent in game if we please.

@Woodg SI: Very well, I stand corrected on that and am happy to admit my error. But it has to be said that the lack of ambition in the match commentary is disappointing.

What I find most amusing is that back in the days of CM 03/04, there was quite a lot of discussion about this on the forums. I provided a smallish sample of what I thought were good commentary lines. The ones that appeared in the next version of the game are still there in FM2017 (the fact that SI took and used them is perfectly fine, of course).

The most notable "new" line that I keep seeing is a variation of "It deserved a goal at the end of it", which is thrown around with astonishing regularity and often in places where it certainly doesn't fit.

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

@Woodg SI: Very well, I stand corrected on that and am happy to admit my error. But it has to be said that the lack of ambition in the match commentary is disappointing.

What I find most amusing is that back in the days of CM 03/04, there was quite a lot of discussion about this on the forums. I provided a smallish sample of what I thought were good commentary lines. The ones that appeared in the next version of the game are still there in FM2017 (the fact that SI took and used them is perfectly fine, of course).

The most notable "new" line that I keep seeing is a variation of "It deserved a goal at the end of it", which is thrown around with astonishing regularity and often in places where it certainly doesn't fit.

"that was a fine save!" .. [when it was a mishit cross going 5 yards wide and the keeper shuffles across to put it out for a corner]

Archived