Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a 20+ year veteran of the series, dating back to CM Italia, I've uninstalled FM17 for the following reasons that have made the game unrealistic and unenjoyable for me:

- no mechanism to use or create "false fullbacks"

- no way of getting ball-playing defender to move forward into midfield in possession to create overloads

- no way of getting a central midfielder to drop into the left or right half-spaces to cover advancing fullbacks in possession

- no new tactical features in FM17 makes the game feel stale, neglected in this area and not keeping up with advances in real life

- wingers do not stay wide in possession; an inverted wingback is almost always wider than a winger in the final third, regardless of whether "much wider" or "much narrower" team instructions are selected

- wingers/wide midfielders are far too wide in defence and central midfielders far too narrow, allowing opponents to effectively drive a truck through the massive open passing lanes in between

- players are rigidly and unrealistically locked into defined boxed positions on the tactics screen without the ability to move into the spaces in between/above/below, according to individual tactical preference

- lack of realistic, real-life pressing and more complex pressing options, e.g. lane-oriented counter-pressing, use of cover shadows etc

- highly simplistic training module that just doesn't make training feel as important as it is in real life

- inability to sign players from German leagues due to unrealistic lack of interest for no reason

- marking in the match engine has always been poor and never realistic

- inability to use positional grids to coach players and implement tactics that emphasise adequate and efficient spacing as is so important in the "positional play" philosophy (i.e. operating in half spaces; how many players can occupy an area, under what circumstances, where to position themselves in relation to teammates and when)

These are just a few of the things I can think of off the top of my head.

I've patiently waited for years for many of these things to be fixed and have tried countless permutations and workarounds in the current ME but I just can't get the enjoyment I'm looking for due to these deficiencies so I've uninstalled the game as it's not worth the stress of attempting things that just aren't possible on FM17.

I suppose it's difficult to get all these things working in a computer game simulation but it doesn't make it any less disappointing when you're expectations are not met. Maybe SI set the bar so high in years past that we came to expect too much?

It seems the more I learn about tactics, the more frustrated I get with the match engine and it's inability to reflect real life tactics more closely.

I hope SI fix these issues, and more, in future.

I look forward to reading about FM18 in around 10 months. I hope I'm impressed enough to buy it, as I have bought every other version over the years.

Anyone else finding it a bit too easy for underdog teams to force 0-0 draws with very defensive tactics? Im managing Roma and several Italian minnows have done it to me, and I also managed to do it myself away at Real and Bayern in the Champions League.

I'm not sure why I was under the impression that the "player on a hat trick takes penalties" issue shouldn't happen, but I was and apparently I was wrong. I just had my left back, with penalties 5, finishing 5 and composure 10 miss a penalty after he had earlier scored his career goals number 4 and 5 from set pieces. This happened at 48 minutes and we were leading 3-1 at the time. Absolutely zero chance I would let him take the pen in that situation if I had a choice. Thankfully didn't cost me any points as we went on to win 4-2 but still, it's incredibly stupid. At the very least it should only happen when the player is on your list of designated penalty takers.

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

Why do my 17 year old player with a "backup"-status get upset when I put him in the U23:s?

Because 'back up' is a first team squad player. 

A 17 yo needs 'youngster' or 'hot prospect' status to put up with being in u23's

1 hour ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Jesus, really?  They're still broken?

No, its much more complicated than that.

Do they have PPMs to stay wider?

What instructions have they been given?

Where is the space on the pitch?

Are the opposition showing them inside via opposition instructions?

What many users forget is that there are two teams on the pitch with two managers giving instructions.

1 hour ago, Cougar2010 said:

No, its much more complicated than that.

Do they have PPMs to stay wider?

What instructions have they been given?

Where is the space on the pitch?

Are the opposition showing them inside via opposition instructions?

What many users forget is that there are two teams on the pitch with two managers giving instructions.

What he's described is identical behavior to FM2015, when inverted wingbacks did not work as intended.  That was confirmed by SI, who also said they didn't have time to fix it.  For FM16, they removed the intended functionality and replaced it with the cut inside instruction, which is both redundant and nonresponsive.

One year on, and it's still my favourite part of the forum. 

We're just over a month into it, and the moan brigade are in full force......"Waaaaaahhhh, something's going against me and instead of trying to fix it, I'll post on the forum claiming it's a bug'

It's always the same,. Those who are enjoying the game are nowhere to be seen, because they're, you know, enjoying the game ,

Those who aren;'t, well, it depends on the overall  situation. But really, it's a game. Too many people think it should exactly mirror real life. But what IS real life? Answers on a postcard 

35 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

We're just over a month into it, and the moan brigade are in full force......"Waaaaaahhhh, something's going against me and instead of trying to fix it, I'll post on the forum claiming it's a bug'

It's always the same,. Those who are enjoying the game are nowhere to be seen, because they're, you know, enjoying the game ,

Those who aren;'t, well, it depends on the overall  situation. But really, it's a game. Too many people think it should exactly mirror real life. But what IS real life? Answers on a postcard 

very harsh indeed, if it makes you happy slating other people great job! see, I tried everything but whatever I do I always lose 7-8 games in a row (1st season). I do team meetings, do friendlies when there is a break versus easy teams, change tactic, change tactic within the match to 'surprise the AI', apply changes that my Assistant manager wants prior to the match and in-game, download tactics from various forums ... sign wonderkids from shortlists and so on. Never did I struggle in previous games, but in FM17 when your streak begins nothing will stop it. Then all of a sudden, in Jan its all easy then after season 2 then its all super easy and not challenging. My strikers miss a huge loads of one-on-ones its not my tactics as tactics dont make your players miss the shots (its morale) BUT certainly in FM16 this never happened to this extent! 

40 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I would be enjoying the game if I hadn't taken a job offer in Germany and then realised I can't actually any German players!

Now that is a game breaking bug for people managing in Germany.

It's Dave, man.  He's the guy - and there's always one or two - who claims things are Working As Intended even after developers have confirmed they're bugs.  

Dave, I'd love to try to fix inverted wingbacks, but they've taken away sliders.  Turns out the behavior is too hard to code, so now they're just wingbacks with the Cut Inside PI.  Much as I'd like to try, I'm pretty sure that side of the game is un-moddable.  If people could tinker with it, there'd be vastly better match engines, just as in Skyrim the best combat engines, particle effects and physics engines are fan-made.  But that part of Football Manager isn't accessible, so people who don't find the experience up to scratch are left to petition the developers for redress.

20 minutes ago, d879moore said:

Hey? 

I think TheMadSheep2001’s referring to this ↓

1 hour ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

It's Dave, man.  He's the guy - and there's always one or two - who claims things are Working As Intended even after developers have confirmed they're bugs.  

So we can't get any specific news to our inbox anymore?

I find the new (follow) model with the social media very distracting and tedious. It's very difficult to keep track of results in other leagues and cups.

Also the right hand side of the news screen isnt customizable which i think is a waste of screen.

Would love the ability to manually place people for set pieces. When the AI clears the ball from a free kick/corner out diagonally, that area is always exposed and basically allows them to run the length of the pitch. Really wish I could leave someone back in a wider position to prevent this.

Well I paid for the game so I expect something. I know it will be out when they decide it's ready to be out and I'm okay with it, but you can't say to me to not expect anything.
There aren't anything game breaking apart from those broken promises which are verging with unplayable for us in lower leagues, but there are many little things.

11 minutes ago, Firehouse said:

Well I paid for the game so I expect something. I know it will be out when they decide it's ready to be out and I'm okay with it, but you can't say to me to not expect anything.
There aren't anything game breaking apart from those broken promises which are verging with unplayable for us in lower leagues, but there are many little things.

You said you expected something in the next week, I'm saying you shouldn't necessarily get your hopes up for that timetable, irrespective of paying for the game.

This can't be right;

• Player asks to be transfer listed because of lack of football (fine, I did that).

• I offered him out multiple times during the January window.

• I even told him to find a club for himself, which he agreed to do.

• January window comes & goes, and no club wants to sign him.

• Window closes and he says he's "left angry by his managers refusal to sanction a move".

Do me a favour. What more can I do!?

20hstic.png

Then, surely my assistant and the player know the window has closed?

n380zr.png

EDIT: Just has exactly the same dialogue with Simon Moore too, another player that no one wants to sign :seagull:

Getting frustrated with players coming back from International duty 'jaded and needing a rest' or 'match fit but starting to get jaded'. I get 2 or 3 players having to be rested after most mid season internationals. I don't know if it's due to over training plus playing two fixtures or something else. 

21 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

Getting frustrated with players coming back from International duty 'jaded and needing a rest' or 'match fit but starting to get jaded'. I get 2 or 3 players having to be rested after most mid season internationals. I don't know if it's due to over training plus playing two fixtures or something else. 

If it is happening in the first half of the season then its generally an indicator that they didn't get enough time off in the previous summer.

Later in the season and its simply down to number of matches, once a player starts to get jaded you either have to choose to limit their play time to manage it or give them time off as per the physio to reset the jadedness.

30 minutes ago, stevemc said:

There's no need for speculation when its common knowledge the player is transfer listed, and has been offered out for 4-6 weeks. How is that not sanctioning a move?

Does it show in the 'promises' tab that he's happy that you've tried to sell him? 

4 minutes ago, qwerty22 said:

Very alarming to me this year is the return of unrealistic high scorelines.

In every round of fixtures there's a game where a team scores 4 or more goals.... all year and across all loaded leagues!!!

Looks silly so far.

Yesterday's EPL results

Watford 3 v 2 Everton, Burnley 3 v Bournemouth, Hull 3 v 3 Crystal Palace, Leicester 4 v 2 Man City, Arsenal 3 v 1 Stoke and Swansea 3 v 0 Sunderland, quite a few high scoring there, also Bournemouth beat Liverpool last week 4-3.

I'd be interested in any response from someone about this. But managers sticking to their preferred formations is pretty out of control. Like literally, a manager who prefers one striker up front will rotate two World Class strikers (think Aguero and Sanchez) just to keep his one up front. It feels unrealistic to me.

1 hour ago, jc1 said:

Yesterday's EPL results

Watford 3 v 2 Everton, Burnley 3 v Bournemouth, Hull 3 v 3 Crystal Palace, Leicester 4 v 2 Man City, Arsenal 3 v 1 Stoke and Swansea 3 v 0 Sunderland, quite a few high scoring there, also Bournemouth beat Liverpool last week 4-3.

Sure but I've been seeing too many 6-2's, 8-3,s and 5-2's

Hurts the immersion tbh

11 hours ago, qwerty22 said:

Sure but I've been seeing too many 6-2's, 8-3,s and 5-2's

Hurts the immersion tbh

Some tactics used by the AI like 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 wide tend to generate these high scoring games. I suspect that the lack of a DM hurts these teams on defensive phase. I edited out the 4-2-3-1 wide with the editor and changed it 4-2-3-1 DM wide which i believe is more closer to tactics used by real life teams i ran in some tests and the results are closer to reality.

49 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Some tactics used by the AI like 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 wide tend to generate these high scoring games. I suspect that the lack of a DM hurts these teams on defensive phase. I edited out the 4-2-3-1 wide with the editor and changed it 4-2-3-1 DM wide which i believe is more closer to tactics used by real life teams i ran in some tests and the results are closer to reality.

nice how did you do that?

50 minutes ago, penza said:

nice how did you do that?

I used the editor, i searched all staff by prefferred formation , select them all  and changed the 4-2-3-1 wide to the 2 Dm's version.

also you have to edit the nation tactical preferences as new staff picks their tactics from that page. You have to start a new game for this to take effect.

And also maybe it's worth waiting for the new update and see what new fixes it has.

18 hours ago, stevemc said:

It says this:

sg49e8.png

Go to the "promises" tab at the top of the home screen, that will tell you how long you have left to fulfill the promise and what the player thinks about it. It will probably give you a completion date of the next transfer window.

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

I used the editor, i searched all staff by prefferred formation , select them all  and changed the 4-2-3-1 wide to the 2 Dm's version.

also you have to edit the nation tactical preferences as new staff picks their tactics from that page. You have to start a new game for this to take effect.

And also maybe it's worth waiting for the new update and see what new fixes it has.

I  see thats great thanks! so only Staff and national tactical preference nothing more?

1 hour ago, CityAndColour said:

Go to the "promises" tab at the top of the home screen, that will tell you how long you have left to fulfill the promise and what the player thinks about it. It will probably give you a completion date of the next transfer window.

Thanks, I'll have to check that. But the conversation happened in December, so would a promise last for 2 windows?

It seems that the way the game calculates errors is still a bit broken. I conceded a goal in my last game that was absolutely horrific. My right-back took a throw-in (they really need looking at) back to my centre-half, who was under no pressure whatsoever, near the penalty spot who controlled it before then freezing. My keeper came charging out and proceeded to trip over the ball which allowed their striker to score into an empty net.

It really was as ugly as it sounds and this was in the Championship, not the lower dregs of Non-League! Anyway, my poor right-back got given the 'key mistake leading to a goal' - how on earth can the game calculate that it was his fault when two other players made horrendously buggy errors?

Just on a run into the last few games of the season (Managing Rangers) and have a double header vs Celtic 4 days apart.

I won the league the game before the first game vs them

Lost 3-2 away in the league game

2nd game is a Scottish Cup Semi-Final (with me now going for a treble)

Celtic play their reserves....

Anyone else seen anything like this ?

I've moaned (with a bit of feedback within the moans of course) about quite a few things in this thread, and here i go again :brock:

I hate feel either A) 4-4-2 formation is overpowered (possibly due to Leicesters achievements last season) or B) The game just doesn't do a good job at all of showing why it's effective. I play a high press, passing, attacking game. Now against 4-4-2 my team does always dominate possession and create loads of chances. The frustration then comes in how often in these games chances are missed which shouldn't be (not that chances aren't missed, it's more the frequency of good chances missed against this formation). Then if i lose the game the way the goals are scored are often very frustrating (hense why i'm here right now). I'll use the last game as an example. I lose 2-0. Neither goals were clean good goals. First one was came from a cross, and a header from about 15 yards. Nothing header went up in the air, for some unknown reason keeper rushed out after he headed it and it went in. Second goal came from a goal kick and it was one of those moments that follow where you know a goal is going to come. IT goes to the opposition winger and it's one of those times where the defender just runs away. The cross that follows is fumbled by the keeper for a striker to come in. Again, these things happen and that's not the problem. The problem for me is how often these happen when i play my main tactic against 4-4-2. My team struggling against them due to my tactic (yes, i know it's my tactics) but rather than the game being played out in ways that it's clearly my set up it's flawed, too often the goals are ridiculous and leave you extremely frustrated and writing rants like this.

That is all :D

Archived