Football Manager 2016 16.3.0 Feedback Thread

But that's the beauty of formations, and to an extent what every FM's tactical screen is about though - you set how you want your team to defend through the formation screen. You use roles, PI's & TI's to shape your team on the attack. As my defensive 4-1-4-1 functions as a highly counter attacking 4-3-3 (it anchors the defensive line nicer than actually using the counter attacking mentality though). If anyone is playing an overly attacking tactic (I've seen quite a few being popular this year) where you have 4 wide men and all 4 are pushing high up the pitch leaving 2 or 3 players to keep your team safe then quite rightly you are going to get utterly savaged by crosses and angled balls between the defenders.

No team sets out to defend poorly through their tactical line up, but some people are using formations which by design are poor defensively to try and gamble that their overwhelming surge down the flanks will prove more potent than the opposition doing the same.

It's not just overly attacking systems that suffer disproportionately from crosses in the match engine. Many real life defensive systems don't involve deep defensive lines or pressing of opposition fullbacks. Swansea used to let Phil Jones have as much of the ball as he wanted when he played rightback for United and it never did any harm.

If defending crosses is so important Ashley Williams (all 5'11 of him) would have taken Swansea down years ago.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could be wrong but I think you are overestimating the effect in many of those areas.

The rating has nothing to do with market value, wage demands, or AI team selection or if it does its very minimal.

Also in terms of of AI team selection & AI transfer targets fullbacks are being compared against other fullbacks so it doesn't make any difference if the ratings are inflated or not for that position except in the fairly rare cases where a player is natural in both the fullback & another position (DC, DM, MC, MR/L).

Player progression I'll give you and is the main one which would lead to fullbacks developing quicker than players in other positions but again the knockon effect is fairly minimal because all fullbacks will be progressing at a slightly faster rate and aren't competing with players in other positions for squad places.

I am no developer, but in my experience it does have quite an impact on those things. My backup' backup wing back that had a market value of 700.000 at the start of the second season is now at 7.000.000 of market value after half a season with an average rating of 7.82. His CA will have improved, too, but there is another young player in my team that has had his CA improved quite a bit, but he has only an average rating of 6.9. His market value did not rise at all. I don't know the exact algorithm behind market value, but the average rating has the biggest impact on that IMO, even if only indirectly through CA progression and/or reputation increase (think of the reputation boost through winning player of the month / team of the month / player of the year etc. awards.

For wage demands this is more or less the same, even if to a smaller extent, I admit.

I did notice that the AI picks high avr rating players over players with a higher CA and/or reputation if the difference is not too big. For transfers this is also true, while of course CA and reputation and a lot of other things play a role too.

The most important thing is, however, that just not every fullback has those rating boosts! I struggle to find a pattern, but my left wingback e.g. is a lot better but averages only 7.0. He just does not do as many (wrongly determined) key passes. No idea why.

This unbalances things even more, because my god-awful backup backup player is the league-wide best rated player, while better wingbacks have normal ratings. It's just really really weird.

Anyway, everyone will perceive this differently, so if you barely notice then that's great for you. Me I just feel weird playing this game right now, something feels off, not right. This has never happened before to me after the last update that always ironed out all (openly visible) flaws.

Hi guys just wondering is the new update changed any of the ME (Match Engine) like the ball hitting the crossbar and deflecting the opposite direction, injuries more likely to be realistic that sort of thing?.

I've not had this sort of thing as I've not tried it yet. Cheers

I'm still hoping to see the feedback thread progress beyond the circular arguments by the same group of people for the last few pages...

The same person is involved in just about every forum argument there is, I'm not sure why you're surprised :cool:

It's not just overly attacking systems that suffer disproportionately from crosses in the match engine. Many real life defensive systems don't involve deep defensive lines or pressing of opposition fullbacks. Swansea used to let Phil Jones have as much of the ball as he wanted when he played rightback for United and it never did any harm.

If defending crosses is so important Ashley Williams (all 5'11 of him) would have taken Swansea down years ago.

Swansea's defence has never really been the strongest aspect of their side though, I had a quick check of the tables and you don't look especially like conceding more this season than they have in previous years during the 8th-12th placed finishes. You could argue its almost that lack of defensive strength that has led to how this season has gone since the goals have dried up a bit.

There are different ways of defending of course, but height alone isn't the only reason I've mentioned Shawcross & Wollscheid, its merely an added bonus. If you're trying to play more of a high pressing system and that's not working and opposition players are just pinging crosses into your box from deep relatively unchallenged that's not an issue with crossing itself but probably needs some more focused feedback. Is your team too strong defensively through the middle? It can force teams out wide against you, and ultimately then it just becomes a game of playing the percentages. Same as long balls with a high defensive line.

Being too strong defensively, or too defensive can bring about its own problems. I'd consider myself something of an expert at creating 1-0 loss tactics, in that I can create an extremely effective defensive tactic that keeps opposition out of the box but then they just begin taking pot shots from where-ever they can get them. Sooner or later an awkward bounce or a wonder strike and the opposition has scored.

I think it's a bit of both. The wide players, especially if they are coming from deep, definitely aren't picked up, or closed down fast enough, so have a lot of space and time to pick out a cross. The forwards always seem to split the centre halves and the keeper remains rooted to the line.

Imo all the points you make are defending problems as I said

Did you read what I said? If not, I'll elaborate - a full-back, making a great run to the by-line, beating several, and then playing an inch-perfect reverse pass to an unmarked winger behind him (that's the key part), who then crosses for the striker. The full-back hasn't assisted, but instead of firing it across the face of goal (he was under pressure) he played a reverse pass into space. He didn't assist it, but that's a key pass.

But that's semantics. I'm not arguing that key passes are wrongly determined. As far as I'm aware, they have done for a couple of versions. But there is absolutely no way they would ever make a change that meant key passes were purely governed by their direction. That's over-simplifying massively, to say the very least.

Do you know that 'graphics' in this game are only for display? In fact, do you know that you can safely play the game 'text only' without any reference to 'reverse pass into space' and so on?

Do you know that 'graphics' in this game are only for display? In fact, do you know that you can safely play the game 'text only' without any reference to 'reverse pass into space' and so on?

And what has that got to do with anything I said, or anything I was replying to?

Not defending any side, but all of you complaining I would much rather we try to agree what's need to be done for next ME and make sure it's done. Even with issues it has this ME is miles better than any before. Potentaly with some improvements it can become great.

Now if SI felt this issue was too complex and decided not to fix it then we need to accept things as they are. We can maybe take advantage of this situation and help them. Imo if the 17 ME was as improved as 16 that would be a fantastic ME. And there's more than just crossing..

totally agree

I'm still hoping to see the feedback thread progress beyond the circular arguments by the same group of people for the last few pages...

Even i decided enough is enough when i last posted here (in my mind)...

So, good luck in finding constructive people from now on !

For the love of...people play the game, have some fun, some things are great and others not perfect but that's the nature of this game, it's been developing for years, it's still not finished and it may still take a few years but until then chill the hell out and try and enjoy it.

Just thought I'd share a quick bit of feedback on the "crossing issue"...

I've started a new save in the Swedish 4th division with Assyriska (a very poor side), and so far I've played five friendlies. In those five games we've managed to score 14 goals (against varying levels of opposition), and of those 14 goals only five have been from crosses. That equates to 35%, which is pretty much spot on.

I'm using a 4-2-3-1 tactic with full-backs on support and wingers on attack, and I'm actually really happy with the match engine so far. It's certainly an improvement on 16.2 that's for sure.

I'll report back in more detail once I've managed a full season.

Is it just me or in the 3D view the vast majority of the clean tackles does seems to be clear fouls? They don't even touch the ball. Every match i have something like a pass that does not reach the target player because he gets tackled when the ball is nowhere near him.

One thing that is troubling me a bit is how defenders don't go with forwards when they come up the pitch to receive the ball, which allows defensive clearances and hoofs forward to form the basis of an attack, because the one striker will come deep and collect the ball unopposed (while 3-4 defenders will be standing around guarding space). This is especially frustrating as I also play an anchorman and would expect him to pick up a striker coming deep/intercept a long ball.

If I am selecting tight marking on the AI striker as an opposition instruction, I would expect him to not be allowed to freely pick up possession between midfield and defence when I have both a central defensive pairing and a defensive midfielder. It defeats the purpose of tightly marking him if he is a lone striker or playing a role such as DLF, because his role is to come deeper to get the ball (which I am trying to stop!).

I am thinking maybe employing stopper could help this?

I think there must come a point where SI would want a stable ME. people feel this way because of constant changes of ME and also the fact they know that every new one brings new problems. We feel like being experiment mices sort of. But that's something that's expected from computor game.

What I mean with stable ME is not one that doesn't change and evolve but one that doesn't need drastic changes but small polishing. Untill the next one comes out. But that one is something completly new and preferably only needs just polishing. Time shouldn't metter. For example I would consider this years ME polished in next FM a stable ME. But if the next ME would be better as much as this one is better than previous (15) then it would be not just stable but maybe even great ME.

I know that this aproach would be something new and maybe unworkable but this way the People responsible for ME would buy them self time to improve the game long term and put off some pressure they experience every year with tweaking of it. Also my guess is that completly new ME needs much time to develop. For example if they decide to have stable ME for two or three years then they could have more time to greatly improve some other aspects of the game. I don't think people would feel cheeted with the same ME (which they know it will be replaced with stable but even beetter ME in two years or three) if the game was improved in some other things. Like improvement of AI teams replication of real football, attributes improvement, morale, training etc.

I'm not a fan of a stable ME if this gets in the way of progress. The current ME is the best yet and as long as I don't spill my coffee or kick over my monitor it seems pretty stable as well. My point being - I hated getting a new version of FM just to stick in my old formation and hey presto it looked exactly the same as the previous version apart from the colours had changed and now there was something that looked sorta like lemmings in the great lemming arena and some dude starts calling me "Spartacus". Needless to say, after a whole chorus of Sparticuses you essentially had SSDD.

This time, I thought we had SSDD until just into February of my 2nd season in the top flight (I was Bristol City) - I started struggling, losing, dominating yet losing, then just losing until I finally thought - keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is the very definition of madness. My mind snapped all sorts of weird stuff happened and I woke up in my neighbours dog kennel.

Upon returning to my P.C. I realised that I was going to have to change my approach - that the old - play the same formation all the time home and away wasn't going to cut the mustard. Personally, I like my mustard cut so I was forced down a path previously unseen in FM - mild amounts of critical thought, analysis and something other than possession & control. YEARS of possession & control challenged - losing games - ok I lost once maybe twice a season, but this was like 5 games without winning and my 15 point leads gone.

Anyway, initially, it seemed like something monumental had changed - but being of reasonable intelligence (if questionable sanity) I applied problem solving and came up with new strategem for the first time in years. To my delight though - the new ME allows different strategem, I've managed to get all sorts of different formats to work - now there's a reason to have different styles and formations - and now there is an engine that'll let you work in a far broader scope than any that have come before in allowing different ways to win games.

Granted, I've settled for control at home & counter away for the most part, but I've used everything from 4-4-1-1 2DM to 5-4-1 Diamomd, various takes on 3-4-3 and 5-2-3 which I'd use much more if it wasn't for the stupid message about being overwhelmed in midfield even though I'm 4-0 up and currently have 65% of the possesion. 3 strikers & a couple of bbm getting in on crosses from a couple of rampaging wing-backs - goals galore.

So, I vote against the status quo - I know some people seem to be unhappy about crossing or something - but the step forward in this version of the ME is worth whatever instability because it at least presents a new challenge and a whole bunch of options. As long as your generally improving, I'll take the occasional weirdness and inexplicable inexplicables if it means that's there's more to the game than finding one formation that works and winning every game with it. Theres' still massive scope for improvement but I really believe you on the right lines here. It's training that really needs reworked from scratch & tied in with the system & the ME and the rest.

I'm away - I was going to make a point about something but got all distracted by the shiny shinies!

Is the MLS Allstar game new? Two new saves in a row it has popped up and disrupted my pre-season. Commentary treats it like a meaningful competitive fixture and I don't know why Swansea keep getting invited anyway. Wish I could cancel it.

Also had a tour to Singapore organised but couldn't arrange any more friendly games because it was "too far to travel". We were already there and one game came pre-arranged.

First friendly Naughton was man of the match with 14 key passes and 1 successful cross out of 12. Gylfi fuming after his 15 key passes, 3 assists, 6 successful crosses and a tackle get overlooked.

Is the MLS Allstar game new? Two new saves in a row it has popped up and disrupted my pre-season. Commentary treats it like a meaningful competitive fixture and I don't know why Swansea keep getting invited anyway. Wish I could cancel it.

Also had a tour to Singapore organised but couldn't arrange any more friendly games because it was "too far to travel". We were already there and one game came pre-arranged.

First friendly Naughton was man of the match with 14 key passes and 1 successful cross out of 12. Gylfi fuming after his 15 key passes, 3 assists, 6 successful crosses and a tackle get overlooked.

The MLS Allstar thing has been in for a while, I know I've been drafted into that game a few times although never really understood where its come from. Although I leave friendlies to my assistant manager after the first season so I always assumed he is in some way responsible.

One thing that is troubling me a bit is how defenders don't go with forwards when they come up the pitch to receive the ball, which allows defensive clearances and hoofs forward to form the basis of an attack, because the one striker will come deep and collect the ball unopposed (while 3-4 defenders will be standing around guarding space). This is especially frustrating as I also play an anchorman and would expect him to pick up a striker coming deep/intercept a long ball.

If I am selecting tight marking on the AI striker as an opposition instruction, I would expect him to not be allowed to freely pick up possession between midfield and defence when I have both a central defensive pairing and a defensive midfielder. It defeats the purpose of tightly marking him if he is a lone striker or playing a role such as DLF, because his role is to come deeper to get the ball (which I am trying to stop!).

Not really. Employing a stopper mostly just increases closing down which is something that only happens after the striker gets the ball. They'll still be free to drift into space before the ball reaches them.

The only actual solution I can think of would be specific man marking.

As AM said only specific man marking might make defenders chase attackers. But I wouldn't play that way.

But I totally agree with about tight marking. If a striker is tighly marked through OI than one defender should follow him around. And the other should be covering. Looks weird how easily strikers are picked with clearences between 3,4 even 5 defenders. What's even more weird is the fact that strikers are closed down immediatly after striker receives the ball. The basic idea of closing down is to anticipate things in advance. This issue is something it needs a look imo. Nice example of what I said about polishing. Another thing about this issue, do you notice how good attackers are with ball control when receiving long balls. Those defense spliting first touches?

I'm sure this is a bug but I would like some opinions from you guys. Player X want's some first team football, I promise him,

duration of promise is about 180 days (!), that's way beyond his contract expiry date.

And of course I can't offer him a new contract because he is "unhappy". That's not logical to me, or am I missing something?

It's a bit of a grey area but most likely that is the kind of default time frame the game would give you to honour your promise so 2 or 3 weeks later he isn't requesting a transfer.

I'd log it and upload a save game at least so SI can have a look around.

As AM said only specific man marking might make defenders chase attackers. But I wouldn't play that way.

But I totally agree with about tight marking. If a striker is tighly marked through OI than one defender should follow him around. And the other should be covering. Looks weird how easily strikers are picked with clearences between 3,4 even 5 defenders. What's even more weird is the fact that strikers are closed down immediatly after striker receives the ball. The basic idea of closing down is to anticipate things in advance. This issue is something it needs a look imo. Nice example of what I said about polishing. Another thing about this issue, do you notice how good attackers are with ball control when receiving long balls. Those defense spliting first touches?

I also dread the annoying hoofing of the ball forward by defenders straight to strikers which pick up the ball like it's glued to their feet.

If you think it's a bug then definitely raise it. Not much will get done about it here, apart from people theorising on whether it is or isn't a bug. By which time it could've been raised and had an SI dev look at it, and tell you for sure.

I think the biggest problems has to be closing down and positioning of certain players/roles. It has been a problem for a while and I don't understand why it hasn't been addressed. Multiple players are still closing down one player leaving massive gaps especially when defending and that is where it impacts the most. I play with 2 disciplined DM's and they close down excessively regardless of player/team instructions and as a manager you feel powerless.

I also feel that players leave the opposition to much space in the middle of the park and I feel this crucial as this is where games are won and lost. Because of these problems I have stopped playing the game simply because in don't want to adapt to the ME instead of trying to play with realism.

That's my constructive feedback.

I think the biggest problems has to be closing down and positioning of certain players/roles. It has been a problem for a while and I don't understand why it hasn't been addressed. Multiple players are still closing down one player leaving massive gaps especially when defending and that is where it impacts the most. I play with 2 disciplined DM's and they close down excessively regardless of player/team instructions and as a manager you feel powerless.

There are also IIRC no roles available in the DM spectrum that are not playmakers AND don't have Tackle Harder.

I found out in time the problem switches. Used a tactic which stopped the crosses from being a bigger issue. Then i got burned with the center backs, always caught up to high. Fixed that now most teams score by playing some sort of Barcelona tiki-taka inside the box. Every time they play the ball until they find an unmarked man and he blasts it in. But since the update the latest fashion is my player coming from the back and slide tackling the ball into open space just in time for the opposition attacker to breakthrough the goal. Haven't found a decent way to counter that one. :)

Only way to beat the system and win is to outscore the other guy...simple as that !

Noticed one more thing about the latest patch: number of times my fullback takes a throw-in close to my goal, throws it to the center back, the center back gets closed down and tackled by the opposition striker, and striker scores or narrowly misses the chance. Main issue seems to be the decision making to throw it to the center back who is 1 yard away from the striker. Happened two or three times in one game and a few times in other games. Might be worsened by my tactical set-up, but I think this kind of thing probably shouldn't be happening regardless of tactical set-up, even if throw-ins are set to "short".

I'm not a fan of a stable ME if this gets in the way of progress. The current ME is the best yet and as long as I don't spill my coffee or kick over my monitor it seems pretty stable as well. My point being - I hated getting a new version of FM just to stick in my old formation and hey presto it looked exactly the same as the previous version apart from the colours had changed and now there was something that looked sorta like lemmings in the great lemming arena and some dude starts calling me "Spartacus". Needless to say, after a whole chorus of Sparticuses you essentially had SSDD.

So, I vote against the status quo - I know some people seem to be unhappy about crossing or something - but the step forward in this version of the ME is worth whatever instability because it at least presents a new challenge and a whole bunch of options. As long as your generally improving, I'll take the occasional weirdness and inexplicable inexplicables if it means that's there's more to the game than finding one formation that works and winning every game with it. Theres' still massive scope for improvement but I really believe you on the right lines here. It's training that really needs reworked from scratch & tied in with the system & the ME and the rest.

I'm away - I was going to make a point about something but got all distracted by the shiny shinies!

I agree with you about this ME being step forward but I'm not sure if that could be said for previous MEs. And that's exactly my point, it's about quality not improvement for the sake of bringing ''new features''. I think this ME is massive improvement over FM15, but I wouldn't call it stable since there are still many issues. I would much rather have this ME in next years game, improved and cleared of the biggest issues than a whole ''new one'' with new problems. I hope that many FM fans feel the same. Having such ME would also mean that FM has achieved certain degree of realism and stability that it doesn't need drastic changes from game to game or even from patch to patch. Just small improvements which would only add to it's realism.

Having said that I would love it if every FM brings new ME clear of fundamental bugs or as improved as this one compared to FM15 but I'm not sure if that's possible...so that's where the hole point of having stable ME comes from.

Is it normal if a manager with "fairly poor" relations with me accepts offers for an unhappy player for 30M +8M after 50 apparences and refuses 40M+30M after 50 apparences from me (he wanted 160M)? It's basically impossible to buy a player from him.

I agree with you about this ME being step forward but I'm not sure if that could be said for previous MEs. And that's exactly my point, it's about quality not improvement for the sake of bringing ''new features''. I think this ME is massive improvement over FM15, but I wouldn't call it stable since there are still many issues. I would much rather have this ME in next years game, improved and cleared of the biggest issues than a whole ''new one'' with new problems. I hope that many FM fans feel the same. Having such ME would also mean that FM has achieved certain degree of realism and stability that it doesn't need drastic changes from game to game or even from patch to patch. Just small improvements which would only add to it's realism.

Having said that I would love it if every FM brings new ME clear of fundamental bugs or as improved as this one compared to FM15 but I'm not sure if that's possible...so that's where the hole point of having stable ME comes from.

Fair enough point mate, the fact is it really depends on the individual as to whether these instabilities constitute a game spoiling issue - for me - any shortcomings in the new ME are completely outweighed by the massive step forward. Actually, on your point about a bug free version of this ME in the next version - I'd be happy with that - there are other areas that need rebuilt from scratch - well one inparticular - that being training.

If you have issues on the pitch and it's not tactical - then as a manager or a coach you'd fix der dem issues on the training field - or you'd try to. One way or another a system for training that is completely tied in with how your team will perform on Matchday - clearly showing (in essense rewarding) your efforts and plans from training being executed in the ME. The current system for training and player developement is the games weak spot and given I can't really say anything positive here - I'll just leave it at that.

New Match Engine rocks though.

Dear S.I., will you fix the long delay when asking your player to suggest to you a new player to buy?
If you think this isn't working correctly you should raise it as a bug with an example save.

If you think this isn't working correctly you should raise it as a bug with an example save.

... So nobody else had this problem? Very strange... :)

An example save it is not necessary, it is in the game itself whatever.

Try asking a player of yours for a suggestion to buy a new player: from the moment I click on it, to the moment when the list of the 4 possible questions appears, it last 30-60 seconds.

... So nobody else had this problem? Very strange... :)

An example save it is not necessary, it is in the game itself whatever.

Try asking a player of yours for a suggestion to buy a new player: from the moment I click on it, to the moment when the list of the 4 possible questions appears, it last 30-60 seconds.

That's more than likely an issue on your end, which is why we ask that your report it so that SI can help you resolve it.

Clearing your cache (can find it in Preferences) is usually a good place to start.

I'm not usually one to moan but I'm not enjoying this patch at all so far.

1) Crossing issue - no need to go into detail here as by the looks of it and me scanning this whole thread it's clearly an issue. You just know you're conceding every week to a back post bloody cross at some point in the game, I think someone mentioned the positioning of the defenders which is correct. They're just not defending or getting in the right positions at all. No matter what you do tactically either.

2) Long shots - I am getting countless 'worldies' scored against me. Granted I don't think usually enough long shots go in so I'm a slight hypocrite here but it would at least be nice for my players to score some too!!

3) Goalkeepers - If I see a GK (in my case De Gea) try and save another shot that's going wide I'm going to scream!! It's so frustrating seeing that and I'm quite frankly amazed that's not been fixed. Crossing issue I can accept could lead to other ME issues but surely SI didn't miss GK's throwing themselves outside of the post to make a save?

Like I said though I'm not one to moan as can probably be seen by my post count which is rather low but I've seen some issues in this patch and the game overall that have bugged me (pardon the pun) Still like mostly everyone else I'll try new things to help me and carry on playing this wonderful game. Not going to sit here and say 'I'm not playing the game' or 'Next year I'll buy it when I know it's probably patched' blah blah blah because I know I'll still be waiting like kid at Christmas for Steam to start downloading the game.

Will also check out the tactics section to help. Hate doing that usually because I like to work things out myself but struggling this year.

Ever since I have updated to 16.3 my team have become a shambles. In terms of ME I have had CM's passing the ball back to keeper from halfway line only to give away a corner, only about 5% of my shots are on target or the Opp. GK has a worldy, my defenders dont tackle very often and none of my players seem to know how to pass. I have been using the same tactic as in the 16.2 version, and it even started well in this save. My pre season was excellent and the tactics worked brilliantly up until the 2nd game of the season and then it seemed all problems happened at once. I don't understand. Should I try re-installing?

I hear you. Exactly the same has happened for me, only for me to be told over and over NO ME CHANGES were made.

How can I get back to 16.2.0!?????

Black screen problem when starting is still there with windows 10. At least we deserve a fix for that.

CTRL + ALT + DELETE, then get back in the game, then CTRL + ALT + DELETE when it hangs again and back to the game again. Do this until you reach preferences and set it to windowed mode. Then it works ok (that's the only way I know of getting the game to start).

Archived