FM16 - First thoughts on the early disclosures.

What 'buzz' do you want them to make? This isn't FIFA, it's not EA. It's Football Manager, you know what you're going to get. A lot of good improvements have been announced, just without some of the fanfare that the initial feature announcement had.

Anyone who doesn't buy the game because they're disappointed with the 'buzz' the company makes around release time needs to have a word with themselves. I like the fact it's been more low key this year. The game is at the stage where it sells itself for the most part.

My current employers are one of the biggest companies in their field, yet they haven't had a television advert since 1988. Because people know the brand, and they trust it. Although on a far smaller size and scale, Football Manager is similar. I'd prefer it next year if they made no announcements, and users found out for themselves while playing the game what enhancements there were.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the lack of buzz: SI is a business. They have one purpose: to make money. Of course they will use social media because that is where the kids (= the money) are.

So if you don't like what they're doing, vote with your money and don't buy the game.

Buying something on the basis of "buzz" must be the most bizarre way to choose what to purchase possible. It would be a sure-fire way to guarantee you buy the product of whoever has the best marketing department, nothing to do with quality or how much it fits what you need at all.

You guys are seriously missinterpreting what i mean. I'm not saying that the new features aren't good. I like handfull of them, but most of them are just updates then features. That is also not bad thing, since it means the games becomes more dynamic. Which is great in my book.

What I personally think is that, in other releases, there were a lot of people commenting on these forums about the features, this year I don't see that. Maybe I'm just venting, since I have no doubt that FM16 will sell well. What I'm saying is that the forum community has simply been fergotten this year. It is aside from twitter and facebook, it is one of the main communities of the game. That is what i mean lack of buzz of FM16 on these forums.

It seems to me that the level of interest in FM 16 seems much much lower than previous years.

exactly, do not feel the usual excitement in the different fan forums I follow.

Well you would know........1999 you joined the forums, longest serving member i remember seeing lol!!! Yeah im sure some people love the sound of the new features and will love the game, and good for them, i hope thats the case! Just for me the new features hold absolutely no interest whatsoever and dont get me excited at all. Im really disappointed that once again it appears that the youth side of FM hasnt been improved. I know the restrictions on having under 16's in the game which is a real shame but this side of things really needs improving. Things like bringing academies into the game like clubs have in real life would be great. But Manager on the touchline, fantasy draft and create a club?? Just gimmicky to me and adds nothing to the game. But thats just me, im sure lots of people will love it as i said already.

Who knows, maybe ill be surprised and love the game, hope so, but cant see that happening at the moment.

agree with you; fantasy draft and club creation does not add any realism to the game and against the starting point of the series "realism". Manager's job is to manage an existing club; not to create a new one. So personally I am not happy to see these features are added to the game since its against "the realism" target even I will not get involved in these areas.

Instead of that I'd like to see more interactions with squad such as saying our star player that he is going to be key part of team, team will be built around him. Setting favorite players that will make it easier to get their interest the club we manage, etc, etc. As most of others, I have been waiting big differences for 3D match view, transfer fees and more interaction with training, failing tutors. Hope we will see these improvements in FM16.

Lastly, I always want to see more friendly face of SI - as early days. When I try to interact with the officials through the social media, I get direct responses (thankfully SI officials here are more kind). I feel the "being big enough, not a need of a single fan". I'm old enough to remember lovely interactions of Collyer's with fans here. Let me give a single example - many people wanted to see screenshots in high resolution; but this request is rejected many times. Steam says, the most used desktop resolution is 1920x1080 (Full HD) - so isn't this request acceptable!? How will we pre-order the game if we are not able to see the screenshots in our preferred resolution. Why to refuse it? We all know SI is a big company, FM is a world renowned game but being big should make you more close to fans who have big impact on you to be "big" for years.

Lastly, I always want to see more friendly face of SI - as early days. When I try to interact with the officials through the social media, I get direct responses (thankfully SI officials here are more kind). I feel the "being big enough, not a need of a single fan". I'm old enough to remember lovely interactions of Collyer's with fans here. Let me give a single example - many people wanted to see screenshots in high resolution; but this request is rejected many times. Steam says, the most used desktop resolution is 1920x1080 (Full HD) - so isn't this request acceptable!? How will we pre-order the game if we are not able to see the screenshots in our preferred resolution. Why to refuse it? We all know SI is a big company, FM is a world renowned game but being big should make you more close to fans who have big impact on you to be "big" for years.

They tried that a while back on these forums. All they got was abuse from users, so they made a decision not to use this forum as anything more than observation. Given the tizzy some people get into over the smallest things, I think they've made a perfectly correct decision.

They tried that a while back on these forums. All they got was abuse from users, so they made a decision not to use this forum as anything more than observation. Given the tizzy some people get into over the smallest things, I think they've made a perfectly correct decision.

Neil Brock did say that they're going to try and be a little more active in the general areas of the forum, but obviously they're working furiously on the game right now so I wouldn't expect this until after release.

One side of the community asks for SI to stop with the eye catching features & concentrate on improving the overall mechanics, another side complains that there are not enough eye catching features.

Tough to be SI. :D

I will be a very happy chappy if they are indeed working on the core mechanics.

I mean football is football, there isn't a great deal you can add without moving away from the simulation aspect of the series.

That was only a small minority, which I deplore, but many were from people with genuine concerns. Like you I remember, Paul Collyer in particular giving interesting information about the match engine & miss this. What I cannot understand is SI avoid the forums here due to abuse then go onto social media, which is in the news daily with stories of peoples nasty & vicious behaviour on it.

That was only a small minority, which I deplore, but many were from people with genuine concerns. Like you I remember, Paul Collyer in particular giving interesting information about the match engine & miss this. What I cannot understand is SI avoid the forums here due to abuse then go onto social media, which is in the news daily with stories of peoples nasty & vicious behaviour on it.

Yeah, not suggesting it was the majority or anything, but even one is too much. And often those with genuine concerns don't convey them in the most subtle of ways.

Social media is slightly different. You post a message, and then the comments, like you say, will just be full of bile and hate. But it's a pretty stand-offish way of posting information, with little actual interaction. In cases where you have interaction, they're usually sanitised with PR folk (this isn't SI specifically, no idea how they do it, just most companies) posting identikit messages rather than actual responses. On the forums it's different - you're directly interacting with a named member of the development team. And then they get abuse by people who couldn't spend two minutes doing what they've done.

If they're coming back to talk more on these forums, then great, but I can only see it ending badly with the usual "this is why we can't have nice things" verge-of-tears ending.

That is a quite simply to avoid. Be strict to comply the rules of both sides of the fence. I mean seriously i have seen discussions on these forums that several people of both sides (nasty critics and Holy defenders) deserved a timeout from these forums.

But that is in the past. I still think these forums have been somewhat fergotten in this year release and i think is wrong, that is all.

FM has 173k followers on Twitter.

FM has 969k likes on Facebook.

However, only 26k have viewed the thread, I think it makes sense why they prioritise their social media accounts and not the forums for updates.

As in previous years I eagerly anticipate the latest release. For roughly £23 it is by far and away the most value for money I've ever had from a game and go into my 16th series of CM/FM happy with how FM15 was. I hope that changes haven't been made for changes sake and that they have built upon the previous version. I never really pay too much attention to the new features however I did notice the sort of 'add a character' manager that you see in other games and that to me feels a bit...amateur, but I generally prefer to reserve my opinion until I've played the game so I will give it (and the rest) a fair chance. At 28 I'm fast finding other responsibilities in life and if it doesn't live up to my expectations I won't whinge or moan or berate the creators I will simply put it to one side and go speak to my girlfriend or something :cool:

However, only 26k have viewed the thread, I think it makes sense why they prioritise their social media accounts and not the forums for updates.

Doesn't it count everytime the same person views it too? therefore you're probably looking at halving that amount.

I swear this is the last FM i buy( probably not :D ) if those ridiculos scorelines when AI is using 3 man defence suicidal formations are back. It's an issue since FM 14 at least.

Indeed. The best thing about FM16 is that it surely cannot be as bad as FM14 or FM15....

Totally dissapointed here with that list of new features.

For a little history, I'm one of the older players, been playing since day one with the first Champ Manager release and faithfully bought every copy every year...that was until last years release, I didnt think the step from FM14 to FM15 was worth the buy.

Now I'm seeing the features for FM16 and it looks like I wont even bother again with this next version. Its seems the yearly release has restricted the creativity of the studio or they just have run out of "useful" things to add.

so true, i'm 34 y old, i've been playing the game als long as a i remember. And this is the first year i havent pre-ordered it already, and tbh dont think i will this year. i'll be skipping it this time i guess. Just looks like a revamp again, nothing excites me tbh

For me the major new features are completely useless, gimmicky rubbish. I don't want to play fantasy draft, I don't want to create a team, and I don't care what I look like on the touchline. However, the improvements in other areas make this more than worthwhile me spending £20-£30 of my hard earned on. I'll reserve judgement until I have played the game, but surely the match engine, transfers, match analysis tools, AI squad building etc have been evolved to make this game better than 15?

Buying something on the basis of "buzz" must be the most bizarre way to choose what to purchase possible. It would be a sure-fire way to guarantee you buy the product of whoever has the best marketing department, nothing to do with quality or how much it fits what you need at all.

Of course. Which is how most people go about it - bizarre as it may be.

The two best games in the entire series? I'll be happy if it's anywhere close to them.

Each to their own but the match engine on both versions was inferior to previous versions. With FM15 it got worse with each patch. The game was far too easy.

FM15 has been the easiest of the last few, no question, but at its easiest, it's still a million times more difficult than FM12 for example.

Conversely, I've found FM15 the toughest. Haven't managed to survive more than 18 months at a club since release.

This metric is pretty similar to my company. Social media is massive compared to our forums which have something like 12k registered members (as opposed to 1m Facebook users that check out our profile and almost 200k Twitter users following us)

We mainly work our social media channels now and have like 2 guys posting on the forum for tech support.

Yeah, not suggesting it was the majority or anything, but even one is too much. And often those with genuine concerns don't convey them in the most subtle of ways.

Social media is slightly different. You post a message, and then the comments, like you say, will just be full of bile and hate. But it's a pretty stand-offish way of posting information, with little actual interaction. In cases where you have interaction, they're usually sanitised with PR folk (this isn't SI specifically, no idea how they do it, just most companies) posting identikit messages rather than actual responses. On the forums it's different - you're directly interacting with a named member of the development team. And then they get abuse by people who couldn't spend two minutes doing what they've done.

If they're coming back to talk more on these forums, then great, but I can only see it ending badly with the usual "this is why we can't have nice things" verge-of-tears ending.

I have a spreadsheet full of stock answers that I put up when I'm working on Twitter. It's the most practical way because God forbid you make a typo on the Internet when you try to help people!

How do you keep getting jobs? ;)

Quite a few of those look like you left at the end of the season, was that your choice more often than not?

Most of the end-of-season departures fall into one of two categories- relegated to a non-playable division (hence, sacked) or just not offered a new contract. I think the only ones I left through choice were the two in China- the very short stints at Baxy and Hainiu.

As for the lack of buzz: SI is a business. They have one purpose: to make money. Of course they will use social media because that is where the kids (= the money) are.

So if you don't like what they're doing, vote with your money and don't buy the game.

Yeah.... it's not just the "kids" who are on social media either.... Across all of the demographic, they will hit far more people than on this forum. It's as simple as that

That is a quite simply to avoid. Be strict to comply the rules of both sides of the fence. I mean seriously i have seen discussions on these forums that several people of both sides (nasty critics and Holy defenders) deserved a timeout from these forums.

But that is in the past. I still think these forums have been somewhat fergotten in this year release and i think is wrong, that is all.

That's exactly what we do grade. We've been lenient in the past and people took advantage, and we won't make that mistake again.

Agree more info should find it's way back to the forum. I personally miss all the videos.

Yeah.... it's not just the "kids" who are on social media either.... Across all of the demographic, they will hit far more people than on this forum. It's as simple as that

Plus the "kids" moved from Facebook a bunch of time ago. Snapchat and Instagram are their things now. The early 20s crowd use Twitter still as well.

I still don't see what harm it would have done for one employee of SI to make a sticky at the top of the forum page to list all of the new features and what is going to happen with the game. It would have taken literally 5 minutes. What they seem to be saying as a company is we don't care about the official forums we just want as many followers or likes as we can get on social media.

I still don't see what harm it would have done for one employee of SI to make a sticky at the top of the forum page to list all of the new features and what is going to happen with the game. It would have taken literally 5 minutes. What they seem to be saying as a company is we don't care about the official forums we just want as many followers or likes as we can get on social media.

http://www.footballmanager.com/football-manager-2016-features-plus

To another website. Not like we have had for the last x amount of years then?

Not trying to wind things up here, but you just have to look in the Tactics and GPTG forum and see the numbers of people and posts dwindling. People are using other websites and other forums to post. Maybe that is the way that SI want it? Just I can remember 4 or 5 years ago masses of guides on tactics, a lot of individual player guides and team guides and we just don't seem to have them anymore.

I am 'old school' if you like and this is the first, and usually only, place I come to check on FM stuff and it just feels like it is dying.

To another website. Not like we have had for the last x amount of years then?

Not trying to wind things up here, but you just have to look in the Tactics and GPTG forum and see the numbers of people and posts dwindling. People are using other websites and other forums to post. Maybe that is the way that SI want it? Just I can remember 4 or 5 years ago masses of guides on tactics, a lot of individual player guides and team guides and we just don't seem to have them anymore.

I am 'old school' if you like and this is the first, and usually only, place I come to check on FM stuff and it just feels like it is dying.

It's not "another website" It's the official website, where the game is also sold so its wholly valid to have it there.

All the guides are in the same place as usual. But lots of people actually like having their own websites and blogs to host their content too. The face of social media has changed massively over the last 5 years, and its become easier and easier to set up your own website/blog and have complete creative control.

Yes, but these are the official forums where we have always, as far as I can remember, had a sticky thread where SI members of staff (usually Miles) has updated with all the new features that are coming out. I just don't see what has changed that dramatically over the last 12 months?

And I agree, there are far more websites out there now, but is that not more reason to put some effort in here to keep people coming back?

It's not "another website" It's the official website, where the game is also sold so its wholly valid to have it there.

All the guides are in the same place as usual. But lots of people actually like having their own websites and blogs to host their content too. The face of social media has changed massively over the last 5 years, and its become easier and easier to set up your own website/blog and have complete creative control.

even on the official website you provide offers the latest news that are 10 days old. if you look at official SI games website the news are from June. now, i am in no place to tell si how to do their campaign but at least i can notice that official developer's website is totally outdated, including the official forum and official game website.

i can't recall any game or any developer that puts less effort in their official websites.

I can't understand people saying FM15 match engine is rubbish...I had real difficulty with the previous versions but the 3D match engine in my view has been absolutely quality, tactics do frustrate me but that probably bodes from wanting to win every single game you play and getting in a sulk when something doesn't go quite right. FM for the price is the most value for money I've ever had!

Archived