Who should be England manager for 2016?

jmr

Who should be England manager?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be England manager?

Roy Hodgson, no doubt in my mind.

Only error he made- not bugging Terry to go.

Not taking Cole was a big one.

It should be Roy though, let Red Nev have more say on selection etc and eventually he can take over. Will stop supporting England if Redknapp ever becomes manager.

id like to see how well sean dyche does next season

Is this serious? :D

Stick with Hodgson but have a plan for who's to take over after Euro 2016.

Basically this. Heard Martinez mentioned which would be an interesting choice.

Who ever comes in 2016 has to follow the style Roy has implemented, otherwise what's the point of Roy having till 2016 if all he's going to do is not leave no blueprint and let the new manager have to start from the bottom again and try and implement a philosophy on a group of players that could have potentially crashed out in 2 consecutive group stages.

Martinez is just another flavour of the month manager, he's good but people have gone way overboard on him, I don't see how or why he'd be better than someone like Neville who will have been with the squad for 4 years in 2016. People are so scared of giving young English managers a chance in this country. It's not like Neville would be coming in cold.

But why would Neville be a better manager than Martinez who's been a premier league manager for several years now, winning the FA Cup with Wigan and keeping them up far longer than anyone ever thought, plus had a really good year with Everton? Just "being with the squad" doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a good manager.

Because managing Wigan and Everton is vastly different to managing England (or any national side for that matter)? I'm not saying Neville will definintely be better, but why not give him a chance especially since it seems like we're grooming him already?

I agree partly. Plenty of other nations have given young ex internationals a chance and I wouldn't be adverse to appointing Nev. I certainly support him. I like Martinez, he understands English football while also having a continental style which I think as a combination would give us a better chance on the international platform.

Gary Neville :lol:

What next? Jamie Carragher as replacement if he fails. I would prefer for the manager of the national team to at least have managed before and not make the England job his first gig.

While it could work, it would still be very risky and a big leap of faith.

Martinez is a good shout as long as the FA allow him to choose his team without pressure to pick certain "names". Still think Hodgson should stay on though.

A certain Mr B Rogers should be on that list. He should be put in charge right now. Even if he doesn't want to. Make him. Hold his family hostage or something. Get the queen round to tell him, I don't know. Pay him whatever he wants.

Give him the job, a long contract and just leave him to it.

Mike Bassett, England Manager v2.0 :lol:

Nah, in all seriousness i hope and it looks like it will be the case i want Hogdson to remain as manager through to the 2016 Euro's. He has done a good job imo since taking over, he got us to the Quarter Finals of the 2012 Euro's only losing to Italy on pens and he had only been manager for like 6 weeks prior the the Euro's.

Since then he has implemented a better style of football which intent on retaining the ball better and playing better as a team.

We had a good qualifying campaign for this WC, went unbeaten and scored a fair few goals whilst conceding just four times. We were drawn a tough WC group, a group that consisted of 7 overall WC wins from 3 of the 4 sides, two of the sides ranked in the top 10 and above us in the FIFA rankings also. Was always going to be difficult to get through that group (for Urugauy and Italy as well) and we were beaten narrowly 2-1 in our first two games despite playing some very good stuff compared to some of the football we have served up in recent years, certainly when in the major tournaments, the previous WC being the low point on the pitch imo.

Hogdson has since the 2012 Euro's given the younger players a chance, Barkely, Townsend, Sterling, Shaw etc, the future for the team based on these players looks very good on paper, we now need to keep our manager the same and let him continue to build the team during the build up to the next Euro's hopefully. Let these younger players be the future of the team, in the starting line up, get the experience and hopefully lead us to the next tournament, off the back of being first team players for the national team throughout the qualifying campaign and friendlies.

England are clearly going in the right direction for me, we have several very good young players breaking through, they have been to a WC now and most of them are under 22, this will have been an experience for them and of course we have not qualified but they now know what it is like being at a major tournament, the build up, the training, being away for several weeks etc.

Changing the manager know will be pointless imo, no good can really come out of it i don't think.

yeah if only neville had done more than pundity. Oh, he has?

There are loads of people out there with coaching badges and have been around strong managers though (McClaren a key example). I agree with the point in general for giving younger managers a go but ultimately for national teams, one month every two years is all that matters (unlike our Welsh brothers) and there isn't the time to blood a young manager to learn from his mistakes for a few tournaments as players aren't at their peak long enough. Admittedly there are very few enticing English options for the job but I'd still like to see some sort of experience in club management or at least the under 21s. Neville seems to hold the characteristics to be a decent manager I just think it would be too large a risk to give it to someone who has really become a popular option because of Monday Night Football.

Archived