Who should be England manager for 2016?

jmr

Who should be England manager?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be England manager?

There are loads of people out there with coaching badges and have been around strong managers though (McClaren a key example). I agree with the point in general for giving younger managers a go but ultimately for national teams, one month every two years is all that matters (unlike our Welsh brothers) and there isn't the time to blood a young manager to learn from his mistakes for a few tournaments as players aren't at their peak long enough. Admittedly there are very few enticing English options for the job but I'd still like to see some sort of experience in club management or at least the under 21s. Neville seems to hold the characteristics to be a decent manager I just think it would be too large a risk to give it to someone who has really become a popular option because of Monday Night Football.

The thing is though, I don't think you need a huge amount of experience for national team management, you need to be sensible with tactics and player/squad selection, and I think Neville has that. You only get a few days with the players so the actual coaching part is pretty inconsequential, the man management and game plan is more important, and again I think that's where Neville excels and will continue to get better when he watches the England players over the next two years. In an idea world he'd get more time learning but there just aren't any decent candidates, especially if you want someone English (which I do). By the way I don't want Neville in right now, I'd give Roy until 2016 and see how that goes, if we do well then he can carry on until 2018.

None of the above, obviously we have to take into consideration what may or may not happen within the next 2 years, but if we were appointing now, I'd like to see Martinez given a go. Whether he'd want it or not would be another matter.

Not sure if the poll is entirely serious seeing as there are scotsman in there. Fergie has said before that he would never manage England.

Mourinho i think is someone that would be very interested in the job as he has said recently that he was very close back in 2007 iirc and it's a job that he would like when he gets older.

Roberto Martinez would be a leading candidate if he keeps improving as he is currently doing.

Gary Neville will be in the running i guess after Hogdson as well, simply because of the playing career he has had and his work with Sky Sports that has generally been very well received and of course by being around the coaching set up the past few years. Though i would like to see him get some experience as a manager beforehand.

Neville has zero experience of management though?

That isn't necessarily a problem depending on who works with him.

Dunga (zero experience back then and turned out to be average as a manager) had Jorginho as assistant, Jorginho had some experience (not much, but still...) and did fairly well as a manager after the World Cup, while Dunga struggled without him.

Surely jmr can't be serious re: Neville and Martinez? Martinez is a fantastic manager and will only improve and prove any remaining doubters wrong. As for Neville, there's no real indication that he'd actually be able to make the transition to management.

Off of that list, I reckon Hoddle could do a good job. The only downside to him is that he's been out of the game for so long. Also, not really sure Hodgson has 'deserved' to stay on until the end of the coming Euros.

Hoddle :D

That would be like when Newcastle brought in Kinnear as their manager.

We just need a footballin philosophy and stick by it. Don't even mind having someone like Pulis in charge playing defensively if it gets results. Hodgson has a vision now, which is at least a start.

If the FA has the same list as this, I can't see things changing

Sir Alex won't take the job- if he didn't came out of retirement to help Man U last season, he won't do this. Plus he has previously stated that he doesn't want to manage England

Hodgson is probably not the right man for the job, but Hoddle, Neville and Keagan? :D

From the more serious contenders- I seriously can't understand why so many people want Redknapp? He's old, he has a tendency to cause trouble, his character is dubious and his managerial achievements aren't exactly out of this world. Mourinho is a great manager, but his personality is definetly not what England could use now. Adding more arrogance and believe in being special is not necessary

As I see it, the best candidate would be Brendan Rodgers- he wants to play attractive football, he's good at working with youngsters and also seem as a much more down to earth, then British managers usually are. Give him some time and I think that he could create good results

If the FA has the same list as this, I can't see things changing

Sir Alex won't take the job- if he didn't came out of retirement to help Man U last season, he won't do this. Plus he has previously stated that he doesn't want to manage England

Hodgson is probably not the right man for the job, but Hoddle, Neville and Keagan? :D

From the more serious contenders- I seriously can't understand why so many people want Redknapp? He's old, he has a tendency to cause trouble, his character is dubious and his managerial achievements aren't exactly out of this world. Mourinho is a great manager, but his personality is definetly not what England could use now. Adding more arrogance and believe in being special is not necessary

As I see it, the best candidate would be Brendan Rodgers- he wants to play attractive football, he's good at working with youngsters and also seem as a much more down to earth, then British managers usually are. Give him some time and I think that he could create good results

Agree with most of your post,i thought Harry a few years ago but now he's to old same as Roy there are some old continental managers but Roy@Harry are not in their league lol

I'd choose the best tactician I could find,i voted Jose but Rodgers/Martinez and my favourite Pulis(very underestimated) as cheaper options!

PS I don't care what way we play/formation as long as we get results!

We don't need someone with a philosophy. We need an astute manager who can look at the players available and decide what the best tactics are which will get the maximum level of performance. I'm not convinced Hodgson is that man, but we don't really have any older English heads in the game now.

So reluctantly, stick with Hodgson.

Archived