Spain V Chile - 20:00 BST KO - Group B - BBC

Djstu23

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe how bad Spain were. 2 years ago they beat Italy in on of the most impressive performances I've seen in international football. Truly awful this year.

Chile were great though. Them vs Netherlands will be good :thup:

And as for Spain in general:

They've been awful all the way: poor goalkeeping, dodgy defending, lack of creativity in midfield and strikers, who aren't dangerous at all

But worse was the total lack of ideas- when the usual system didn't work (at it really didn't!), it seemed as noone had any clue what to do. The only things they managed to create today was a freekick from Cazorla, a good shot by Iniesta and that chance to Busquets.. And most of that came out of the blue. Not only did the team have no clue, but also the manager. Cazorla improved their game a bit, but other then that it didn't look at all, as if he had any idea to how turn things around

Spain actually looked clueless. Why didnt they start Mata or Fabregas instead of Costa who to me doesnt look fully fit? Looked a lot more slower and direct than usual aswell.

Chile were magnificent I reckon Brazil will get knocked out in the second round by whoever they play from this group. Chile were brilliant, Netherlands look very good and I think they were a bit complacent against Australia today.

Spain actually looked clueless. Why didnt they start Mata or Fabregas instead of Costa who to me doesnt look fully fit?

Made sense in theory - exploit space behind Chile, instill directness on their increasingly sluggish play. Unfortunately didn't work as Costa didn't look fit yes (and miscontrolled a few balls) and Pedro who was another similar attacking outlet had a very very anonymous match as well.

Spain deserve to go out after those two performances - or lack of i should say. Shocking stuff.

Not one player over the two games for Spain turned up, at all.

Think the Spain squad needs to be seriously changed now, get Xabi Alonso, Iker, Xavi and Torres, and maybe a few others out of the squad for good and give game time to De Gea, Mata, Morata, Koke, Thiago etc.

Maybe VDB will get the sack/resign after this?? Think he needs to take a fair bit of critiscm as well for picking a questionable squad in the first place. No Navas and no Negredo was a surprise. Navas was just what Spain lacked over the first two games, pace on the wings.

Three out of the last four WC winners out at the group stage. :eek:

As for Chile, well played to them, thought they were very impressive tonight and deserve to go through to the KO stages.

Robinho posted on twitter:

Mas a Espanha não era favorita ?

'But weren't Spain the favorites?'

A Brazilian replied:

"Weren't you in the World Cup Album?'

And lots of Spaniards insulting him too because he is not even in the World Cup.

For the time being, we seem to be back to times gone by, when great Spanish sides failed to turn up at major tournaments.

98, 06 & Euro 2000 & 04

One of my early memories of Spain is their loss to Nigeria in 98

02 they were cheated by the ref & 94 they were toe to toe with the finalists. While in Euro 96 they did an England in 12 and lost with penalties

I assume that prior years that I didn't watch they didn't qualify (Euros were only 8 teams ffs in 92) or were terrible

Think the Spain squad needs to be seriously changed now, get Xabi Alonso, Iker, Xavi and Torres, and maybe a few others out of the squad for good and give game time to De Gea, Mata, Morata, Koke, Thiago etc.

He was to be in the team before his injury

98, 06 & Euro 2000 & 04

One of my early memories of Spain is their loss to Nigeria in 98

02 they were cheated by the ref & 94 they were toe to toe with the finalists. While in Euro 96 they did an England in 12 and lost with penalties

I assume that prior years that I didn't watch they didn't qualify (Euros were only 8 teams ffs in 92) or were terrible

Spain were one of the original dark horses :D Packed with talent but never delivered

For the time being, we seem to be back to times gone by, when great Spanish sides failed to turn up at major tournaments.

1 tournament is hardly going back to times gone by :D especially after winning 3 on the trot.

Look at France, desastrous in 2002 after winning in 98, and in 2006 they reached the final again, with a lot of the same players.

I think Spain won't be having a lot of the same players though. Might need a refresh. Luckily for them they still are great at all youth levels but still, to come in and play the same way and as effectively as this group is difficult

They were sooo dominant but may revert to being merely excellent. Xavi/Iniesta was really the heartbeat of it so the world was waiting for them to start dropping off

I guess Iniesta may stick around, not sure how old. Xavi may fall away. Got some great players but that group they had all came together at the perfect time imo

Archived