The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both the "ai" and the "ei" are pronounced like "eye" (ai also gets this sound in transliterations from many Asian names, e.g. Shanghai, Dubai; "Nein" (no) is pronounce like "nine")

So it's roughly Rr(eye)nairr M(eye)airr - the "er" at the end of each name is not a schwa-like "uh" like in English (burger) but actually treated as a proper 'e' and 'r' sound, more similar to "air" or "berry". German Rs get rolled unlike the weak English R, so I've put in two Rs for emphasis... Don't overdo it, but make sure you avoid the English "wr" sound that it the typical English R.

"er" is always pronouned as "uh" in German.

It would be more like R-eye-na M-eye-a

The third person masculine (er) is definitely not pronounced "uh", I'm not sure where you've got that from. Berger, for example, is not pronounced burger; that's just how the British commentators pronounce it...

The tranlisteration you posted with 'a' at the end is closer - R(eye)na Maya (like the civilization), assuming you pronounce an 'a' like an 'a' and not like 'ae' (depends on where you are from). The final 'r' does sometimes get lost in the pronunciation.

Mounier prounciation is probably best described as 'moo-nyay'. With the 'ay' as in 'play' in English. Not quite right, though close enough for simplicity. Here is the proper way to say it: http://fr.forvo.com/word/emmanuel_mounier/
I always thought it was Ike (As in bike)-rem.
The Ei- in Eikrem pronounced like the english a in "lady". The -krem part is pronounced like the french "creme" ... as in creme anglais (custard) :) But with a more rolling R. And the Wolff is better pronounced like a german would pronounce wolf, not like the english wolf. Think of the sound the oa would make in a english word like "board". But shorter.
Both the "ai" and the "ei" are pronounced like "eye" (ai also gets this sound in transliterations from many Asian names, e.g. Shanghai, Dubai; "Nein" (no) is pronounce like "nine")

So it's roughly Rr(eye)nairr M(eye)airr - the "er" at the end of each name is not a schwa-like "uh" like in English (burger) but actually treated as a proper 'e' and 'r' sound, more similar to "air" or "berry". German Rs get rolled unlike the weak English R, so I've put in two Rs for emphasis... Don't overdo it, but make sure you avoid the English "wr" sound that it the typical English R.

"er" is always pronouned as "uh" in German.

It would be more like R-eye-na M-eye-a

The third person masculine (er) is definitely not pronounced "uh", I'm not sure where you've got that from. Berger, for example, is not pronounced burger; that's just how the British commentators pronounce it...

The tranlisteration you posted with 'a' at the end is closer - R(eye)na Maya (like the civilization), assuming you pronounce an 'a' like an 'a' and not like 'ae' (depends on where you are from). The final 'r' does sometimes get lost in the pronunciation.

IPA: ['raɪ̯nɐ ˈmaɪ̯ɐ]

You can listen to the correct pronunciation here:

http://translate.google.de/#de/fr/Rainer%20Meier (click on the German one^^)

Thanks chaps :)

i always known it as Ay as in play then Yew. Ay-yew, heard french commentators and english ones call him that.

Well, english commentators would pronounce it that way, wouldn't they (The letter A pronounced in english as "ay", while most other languages, including french, would pronounce the letter A as "ah", more or less ... anyway, I'm sure there's room for different pronounciations depending on whether you're english, french, or ghanaian (the latter being Ayew's origins, allthough born in France). I got my info from here. The name is of the Akan language, so neither english nor french.

Perry Ng - Crewe youth player.

I'm pronouncing it Perry Ung but that's probably wrong.

Ng

Interresting, that one ... you could, if you so wished, call him Perry Woo or Wu, and you wouldn't necessarily be wrong... and the film director John Woo could spell his surname as Ng, if he wanted to ...

Ng

Interresting, that one ... you could, if you so wished, call him Perry Woo or Wu, and you wouldn't necessarily be wrong... and the film director John Woo could spell his surname as Ng, if he wanted to ...

Perry Woo it is then. I've given him a full-time contract just because of his amazing name.

Thanks Thomit!

• 3 weeks later...
Just taken over fiorentina and cant help but wonder how I pronounce Adem Ljajic's surname?

The "Lj" sound is difficult to explain...To English ears the closest thing is the "-lli-" sound in "million", but with less emphasis on the "l" sound

I'd even go for an "l-less" version as Ya-itch...

I have a Spanish (Basque) youngster called Ivan Ormaetxea.

I've been pronouncing it "Orm-AX-ya". Anyone know if that's right???

Or-mah-eh-CHE (as in "chess", but with a closer "e" sound)-ah

Wolff Eikrem

Both the ay-/eye- pronounciations are good for the "Ei" part of the name.

• 3 weeks later...

ahn-TO-lo-vich

Got some too. Wondering if any Dutchmen around here. Just some general questions about pronunciation.

1) the V (as in 'van den X') - is it read F like in German or V?

2) OO (as in 'Hoofdklasse') - is it read like in English or is it still close to O (as in 'on')?

3) ST (as in Stijnen) - is it SHT as in German or ST?

• 3 months later...
Bump time!

Ewout Gouw - Dutch

No idea how to pronounce his first name, and I've been pronouncing his last name so it sounds like "plough"

From one of those baby name sites, they suggest it be pronounced E-woo-out. The last name...no clue.

• 6 months later...
Two Dutch players here too:

Queency Menig

Quincy Hoogendoorn

How to pronounce those first names?

Both first names are not really Dutch, but English I guess.

Queency just like Queen+Sea

Quincy just like Queen=Sea but instead of the "ee" in Queen you pronounce it with a short "i" such as in winter, so Kwinsea

I'd imagine Gouw would be pronounced the same as in Raimon van der Gouw, which would be something like "How". I'm also probably completely wrong, because Dutch

Ewout Gouw is pronounced just like Raimon van der Gouw.

Ewout =>

E = A in day

w = same

ou = sounds like the "ao" in cacao. (try the "a" from away and combine it with the "o" in show) or like the "o" in wow, or like the "ou" in out

t = same

Ewout sounds like "A-waot"

Gouw =>

G = like the "ch" in Loch Ness

ou = sounds like the "ao" in cacao. (try the "a" from away and combine it with the "o" in show) or like the "o" in wow, or like the "ou" in out

w = same

So the best I can come up with is a w ao t Ch ao w -> Awaot CHaow

So actually not that difficult

ahn-TO-lo-vich

Got some too. Wondering if any Dutchmen around here. Just some general questions about pronunciation.

1) the V (as in 'van den X') - is it read F like in German or V?

2) OO (as in 'Hoofdklasse') - is it read like in English or is it still close to O (as in 'on')?

3) ST (as in Stijnen) - is it SHT as in German or ST?

-> V as in Volkswagen, so thicker/harder than the F in Fish

-> OO like the O in Show

-> ST without the H/J, like in STill, Story. // ij sounds like I or AI

I too like to commentate to myself (at least when the wife is out!), and I've got a Welsh teenager who is just breaking into the first team at present. Owain Tegid.

I'm happy enough with Owain (Owe-wain, if that episode of Gavin & Stacey serves me right), but as for the surname, I've no idea!

It's fair to say I've had my fair share of issues with this game, but one of my Greek regens is called 'Charalabos Tsoulias', so I've been going along with something like 'cha-RAH-bah-los 'SOO-lee-ass'.

Anyway, unconvinced I've just checked it on google translate. It's quite incredible what the English word for Tsoulias is. Check it out: http://translate.google.com/#el/en/%CF%84%CF%83%CE%BF%CF%85%CE%BB%CE%B9%CE%B1%CF%82

Archived