The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
more fun than fan

True. It is so hard to write things "phonetically" without using the actually phonetic alphabet - and on top of that, being Danish, I have to keep in mind how an English-speaker would pronounce the spelling I choose... :lol:

Nick-lass Shoe-lay would be my uneducated guess.

-> for Niklas Süle

The s is soft, like a z in English.

The ü does not have any exact match in English. It's pronounced like the u in the French pronunciation of the word 'menu' (if you are more familiar with that)

the e at the end is not spoken as broadly as -ay would be. It's rather pronounced like the second a in 'manager'.

The first name is like Nicholas without the o

hth :)

Time to wake up this legendary thread. Dutch help needed this time.

Ricardo van Rhijn

Indy Groothuizen

Peter Leeuwenburgh

Differing from the first answer:

Ricardo fun 'rhine

Indy 'Groathuyzen (the 'g' being spoken very smokey, bit like collecting spit from deep in the throat, the r being rolled a lot)

Payter 'Laywenburg (that 'g' again..., just a hint of w in there)

Ricardo fun 'rhine

It is still important to note, though, that the R is not an "English" R. It also has a bit of that "throaty" quality like the G.

By the way, I'm kind of amazed that this thread even exists. Why don't people just google the names and find a YouTube video where it's pronounced in the native language?

It is still important to note, though, that the R is not an "English" R. It also has a bit of that "throaty" quality like the G.

By the way, I'm kind of amazed that this thread even exists. Why don't people just google the names and find a YouTube video where it's pronounced in the native language?

The r is rolled too and the 'ijn' is also a bit softer than the -ine would be, but I didn't want to overcomplicate things ;)

Again, YouTube is your friend: ;)

Rey pretty much like English "Ray", but with a more Dutch-sounding R (as described above).

Manaj with long and a short A, something like "Maa-nai"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived