The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One from me. It looks simple but how would I say Joslain Mayebi?

He's my Cameroonian keep, so I guess it would be a French name. I'm torn between May-ebb-e and My-eeb-e, or variations thereof.

Adama Pailler

That "ll" sound is quite tricky to explain (similar to the Spanish one), so let's go with

Paay-yeh

(like in "pay" but with longer "a")

One from me. It looks simple but how would I say Joslain Mayebi?

Going for the standard French version, it's

May-ye-be

How do you pronounce Stepan Kacafirek? He's from the Czech Republic, if that helps.

I pronounce it as Ste-pan Ka-sha-fear-ek. Am I right?

I would have said Ka-cha-fear-ek. Eastern European languages tend to put a harder sound on c from what I have seen.

Stepan is Shtep-an.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Llangefni Town is who i'm managing at the moment, but i'm not sure how it's pronounced. I think it's:

Lang-ih-fen-nee

But i'm not too sure :S

LL is pronounced like this: place tip of tongue gently behind front teeth as if you where saying the letter "l" in liverpool. Then you just gently blow using your tongue to control the sound. any way it is pronounced llan - gev - nee

Personally I pronounce it

Maan-well Noy-Aah

thanks, wasnt one of the ways we were arguing about tho :/ i thought it was sort of said with a capital Y sound (like why), my mate thinks it is noor (as in poor)

• 2 weeks later...

Kick starting the pronunciation thread after it got buried by the deluge of bug and 'can't play the game' threads.

What I'm absolutely stumped on is how to pronounce names beginning with Kv in Norwegian. I can't recall the actual name of the player because I think he was a grey, but here are some examples:

Kvalheim

Kvinglaug

I can only presume the K is silent.

There's also Dv, as in Dvergsdal. Is it another silent letter?

Kick starting the pronunciation thread after it got buried by the deluge of bug and 'can't play the game' threads.

What I'm absolutely stumped on is how to pronounce names beginning with Kv in Norwegian. I can't recall the actual name of the player because I think he was a grey, but here are some examples:

Kvalheim

Kvinglaug

I can only presume the K is silent.

There's also Dv, as in Dvergsdal. Is it another silent letter?

Neither K nor D(v) are silent in those names.

Now, even though i'm norwegian, i'm unable to come up with a good way to help you with the pronounciation of those names :p

Yeah, i know. Quite useless. I blame the swedish air :D

LL is pronounced like this: place tip of tongue gently behind front teeth as if you where saying the letter "l" in liverpool. Then you just gently blow using your tongue to control the sound. any way it is pronounced llan - gev - nee

Another way to try and explain the wonderful Welsh Ll is that it sounds very, very similar to the lisp that Sid the Sloth has in Ice Age. I couldn't begin to write it phoneticly in English, but anyone who speaks Welsh will be able to hear that it's not "Thid the Thloth" but "Llid the Lloth". That's how I explain the Ll to anybody who asks. Although I do pick and choose the Ll in the fore/surname Llewellyn. If it's Llywellyn, both should be Ll, but I usually don't do it for the second one, which is actually the varient spelling Llywelyn.

Manuel Neuer

Manuel - Man Well. Simple enough.

Neuer - 'eu' in German sounds like the 'oy' in oyster. Noy-er would be a reasonably good phonetic translation, where Noy rhymes with the surname 'Hoy' (Chris Hoy, Will Hoy et al.).

I do enjoy the Dutch newgens' names. I can speak German, but I did a semester of Dutch at University too, so I know about ui/uy, ij/ei, ou/au, oe, ee, oo, aa, ooi, sch and the silent sch, like in Den Bosch. I can't say them perfectly of course, but it's certainly fun to try.

Joslain Mayebi

It's from a while ago now, but he's now my team's backup keeper and we say Yos-lane My-'A'-bee. Where the 'A' means the letter 'A' as in A B C. But I've never studied French so I don't know...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Finnish newgen, who's name I need some help with - for fake press conferences in the shower and the like.

Janne Kytöaho.

I've been pronouncing it: Yan Kie-toe-ah-hoe. But I'm pretty sure I'm just butchering the language, as we English so often do.

I think Glenn Ver-bow (as in take a bow)-head-ey (as in the end of the word hey)

Looks like Vfer-bow-huh-der to me. The 'hede' is throwing me. Double e, 'ee', in Dutch/Flemish is the english 'ay' as in Hay/May/Bay but I'm not definite on the correct pronunciation here.

Archived