The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So IPA would be: [hʌntəla:r]

From what I am able to cross-reference on the Wiki-page on IPA as to the sound of those symbols, that seems spot on, but tbh I've never really understood much of IPA. I wish I did though. :(

It amazes me that Dutch is such a hard language for non-Dutch to work out the pronunciation of stuff. I always presumed it was similar in terms of word sounds to German, but being an ignorant Englishman I guess I was pretty wrong :p

Oh no, German and Dutch pronunciation are quite different. German has the stereotype of being guttural attached to it, but Dutch is in fact much harsher. German people struggle as much to get some of the Dutch sounds as the English do. Whilst on the other hand, German manages to have words in which already difficult sounds are repeated two or even three times, and Dutch people have problems pronouncing those. The German word for ice skating, schlittschuhlaufen, is a real tongue-twister, I don't think I ever pulled that off correctly at the first go.

What's the Dutch word for ice skating, out of interest.

Schaatsen. Pronounce as Schaat-sen. Ch like a hard G (not sj, not a g as in give, not a K-sound, but sG), aa like the a's in Aait! (Ali-G), e like in the.

I, as a dutchman, did realise that dutch is a language hard to grasp by foreigners, but that certain sounds were so hard to explain did surprise me a little.

Very common sounds to us, like ei, ij, ui and aa are just not used in english. And nor in German or french as far as I know.

Schaatsen. Pronounce as Schaat-sen. Ch like a hard G (not sj, not a g as in give, not a K-sound, but sG), aa like the a's in Aait! (Ali-G), e like in the.

I, as a dutchman, did realise that dutch is a language hard to grasp by foreigners, but that certain sounds were so hard to explain did surprise me a little.

Very common sounds to us, like ei, ij, ui and aa are just not used in english. And nor in German or french as far as I know.

I think we have to distinguish between sounds and sequence of letters.

The sequence 'ei' is also commonly used in German (e.g. Geist, Brei, Zeit..). The sound (IPA) for the German 'ei' would be [aI] like the 'i' in time. But is it the same sound in Dutch?

I can only think of a city with 'ui' in German (Duisburg) and it's pronounced [y]. French uses both the sequence 'ui' (I can only think of 'parapluie' atm) and the sound [y] ('bien sûr').

The sequence 'ei' is also commonly used in German (e.g. Geist, Brei, Zeit..). The sound (IPA) for the German 'ei' would be [aI] like the 'i' in time. But is it the same sound in Dutch?

No, it isn't. The Dutch 'ei' would be [ɛi]. The sound of the German 'ei' would be transcribed in Dutch as 'ai'. Similarly, the 'ui' isn't the same either; the Dutch is [œy].

Anyway, as you said before, we're going off topic here. :D

• 3 weeks later...
IIRC the sound "ll" in Argentinian is pronounced like a "dg+dg" (like in "badge", so I'd probably go for something like

Ba-TADG-ja (with "ja" as in "jar")

I though to LL's in spanish was pronounced like a SH so it would be Ba-Tash-Ha

So Paella would be Pa-edg-a? OMG I've been wrong all these years.. :D

Nah, "paella" is Spain-Spanish, so it's ok with the "l-ya" or "ya" pronounciation...

The "dg" bit is just a regional variation for Argentina, at least according to what I've heard.

In Portuguese you don't pronounce e's at the end of words, so he'd be "dwart barroso"

I'll send some a difficult ones:

Davit Pirtskhalava of Georgia

Ebrahim Zaraei of Iran

Josu Aurtenetxe of Spain

Mael Casenave of Reunion

Dah-vit Peert-skah-lavah

Eh-brah-heem Zah-ray-ee

Ho-sue Hour-ten-et-chay

My-el Cah-sen-arr-vay

An English regen, 'Corbett'

I pronounce it Corbit, as corbet sounds weird

Cor-bit?

Cor-bet?

Depends slightly on regional dialects. Either of your possible pronunciations is legitimate, as would "Cor-but" be. I would recommend you go with whichever way feels most comfortable to you :D

Pretty sure for most of the country, though, "Cor-bit" would be the expected pronunciation.

I'm from Argentina, sorry for my bad english, I will try to help.

I have an Argentine called García. How would the pronunciation of this name be different from Garcia?

The accent falls in the "i", that's all the diference.

In Portuguese you don't pronounce e's at the end of words, so he'd be "dwart barroso"

Ebrahim Zaraei of Iran

Josu Aurtenetxe of Spain

Mael Casenave of Reunion

That's Basque, in Basque "tx" sounds like "ch" (chat, for example).

I though to LL's in spanish was pronounced like a SH so it would be Ba-Tash-Ha

LL sounds similar to Li (like Lionel Messi) but often it is bad pronounced as SH ("Y" sounds like SH when it isn't used as a "I")

Nah, "paella" is Spain-Spanish, so it's ok with the "l-ya" or "ya" pronounciation...

The "dg" bit is just a regional variation for Argentina, at least according to what I've heard.

I'm from argentina and it is Pa-eh-sha

SezginetinkayaProfile_Attributes.png

is clearly a younger version of:

_38042095_alistair_darling.jpg

LOL!!!

Like I said before: I'm from Argentina, sorry for my bad english, and will try to help.

I have this doubts

Cvitanic

Hoebke/Höbke

See-bee-tahn-ich (ch like munich), at least that's how it's called here xD

He's a excelent striker too :p

Manuel Campisi

In google translator, translate english>spanish "Campisi manuel" and listen it, it's perfectly pronounced there. It's something like Man-oo-el cam(like webcam)-pee-see

I have a few I've always wanted to know in my squad:

Carlos Monje (Spanish)

Deniz Kalayci (German)

Alfredo Huarte (Spanish)

Imanol Goikoetxea (Spanish)

Car-los (like "lost" but without T) -mon (like money) and the last part it's very hard to translate... it's like he inHer

Alfred-oh War-teh

Eem-an-ol- and the surname its like Goicochea in this video, 0:05 . Tx in Basque it's like CH (in chat)

I'm from argentina and it is Pa-eh-sha

I won't go to disagree with a native speaker... ;)

However to me that "ll" sound still rings harder than regular "sh" (as in "she")... "zh" perhaps? ;)

@ 0.22 "Medina Bello..."

I won't go to disagree with a native speaker... ;)

However to me that "ll" sound still rings harder than regular "sh" (as in "she")... "zh" perhaps? ;)

@ 0.22 "Medina Bello..."

I'm not sure about the exact pronunciation of "sh" in english :p

In theory, it pretty similar to "LI", like Lionel messi, with a bit of "SH", but in the practice almost always it's said like in the video. "Y" Should sound like the vid.

Daniel Vazquez - Daniel Vaskehs

Sometimes Z is sounds like a S in Spanish. Atleast that is what my American Spanish professors told me.

I don't remember starting this thread.

Ebrahim Zaraei of Iran

Josu Aurtenetxe of Spain

Mael Casenave of Reunion

What you forgot to mention is how to say Barroso. Most english people would say: Bah-Ro-Sso. But, in Portuguese, when u see a single S in the middle of a word, in almost every case, you pronounce it like a mute Z. And the double R, it's like the H of Harbor. So it's Ba-ho-zo.

In some regions of Brazil and Portugal, people says the double R with the tongue vibrating in the front teeth. Imagine yourself trying to say some T's repeatedly and very fast paced. t-t-t

Kinda like the sound of a machine gun. :)

Oh yeah, almost forgot some names I have in my game and still don't know how to pronounce them:

Remy Beukers - Holland

Robin Mijnheer - Holland

Freek Busscher - Holland

Erjon Osmani - Germany/Albania (Osmani I think is Os-mah-nee, but Erjon I don't have a clue! Eh-rdj-on, maybe?)

Abdallah Yaisien - France/Egipt

Archived