The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yah-nis gay. or maybe zh-ay, cant remember how french pronounce "g's"

Vermaelen- Vehr-may-len

Jorge Seilaverossi (assuming he's Italian)- Hore-hey Say-la-ver-os-si

I think Vermaelen goes something like vermahlen, at least that's how I heard it on TV. I guess a Dutch speaker could say.

Jorge is pronounced like you said, but it's a Spanish name, not Italian.

I'm still waiting for help with Yannis Geay, French guy.

As far as im aware Xavi is pronounced Chavi.

Can anyone help me pronouncing Ciprian Marica. The Romania striker. and Joseba Etxeberria

Marica, I believe is pronounced "Sip-ree-an Ma-ree-ka".

Etxeberria is Basque, so the tx is a sort of ch sound, I think. With Spanish pronunciations of J's, this leaves me with "Ho-seh-ba Etch-eh-ber-ree-a". This also leads me to believe that a Basque centre-back that I used to buy on CM 2000/01 called Txutxi should be pronounced Tchu-tchi, but I would mind some clarification - it bugs me every time I remember it!

The French guy, Geay, would I guess be sort of like Jay, but with the the J drawn out quite a bit. (I did French for quite a bit at school and uni, and that would me my attempt! Might still be wrong, mind!)

I think Vermaelen goes something like vermahlen, at least that's how I heard it on TV. I guess a Dutch speaker could say.

Jorge is pronounced like you said, but it's a Spanish name, not Italian.

I'm still waiting for help with Yannis Geay, French guy.

Oh, now that you mention it, in FIFA, it's pronounced vermahlen so you're probably right. Re: Jorge Seilaverossi, I was talking about the last name, which sounds Italian.

Also, I ocassionally wonder about Kim Källström. I understand that the "ällström" bit is pronounced along the lines of "ellstrum", but I've heard commentaries on TV and computer games pronouce the K in the surname as both a "K" and a "Ch": which is right?

In Swedish "Kä..." is always "che" as in "chess"

P.S.

As for Quagliarella, the "g" isn't really silent... but the "gli" sound is quite hard to reproduce for non-native speakers...

It's similar to Spanish "ll", as in "Villa" (another FAQ of this thread), but with more emphasis on the "g" sound.

Audio here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5OGNJO8OqI

In Swedish "Kä..." is always "che" as in "chess"

P.S.

As for Quagliarella, the "g" isn't really silent... but the "gli" sound is quite hard to reproduce for non-native speakers...

It's similar to Spanish "ll", as in "Villa" (another FAQ of this thread), but with more emphasis on the "g" sound.

Small correction: It should be pronounced like 'Shellstrum', not 'Chellstrum'. (Like in 'she')

Small correction: It should be pronounced like 'Shellstrum', not 'Chellstrum'. (Like in 'she')

Hmm, isn't depending on which dialect/regional variation you use?

However I still think the "sh" sound happens just for the "sje-ljud" (if you go for the "easy way" to say it)... "känna" doesn't have the same "sh" sound as "sjuk"... If anything, it's closer to the "ch" sound in "tjej".

Or close enough without going into complicated phonology descriptions :)

P.S. then again, if you're a native Swedish speaker, I'll just shut up :)

P.S.

Yep, you're right. I just recently had this explained to me by a native and i totally forgot about it :p. He told me that most english speakers can't ever say it correctly, but apparently i can :). It's an odd sound though, something that you won't be able to say properly unless someone demonstrates it to you in person, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
My spanish regen Adrian Intxausti' date=' I have always struggled to say his name[/quote']In-chow-sti, more or less.

Generally, there are three ways to pronounce 'x' in Spanish - a bit like an h, as in the native pronunciation of 'Mexico'; the Catalan 'sh'; and the Basque 'ch.' Which pronunciation is right depends on the origin of the person in question - Xavi's name, since he is Catalan, is pronounced "Sha-bi" whereas the nearly identically spelled, but Basque, footballer Xabi Alonso would be pronounced "Cha-bi Alonso."

Confused yet?

Couple of my regens names I'd like to be able to say properly:

Txema Arrieta (Spain)

Cícero (Brazil)

Txema would be pretty much like 'Chema' (ch as in church, not ch as in loch or chemistry).

Cicero would be pronounced almost exactly the same as the famous Roman, just with a long 'i' instead of ashort.

Mix-oo Pat-eh-lie-nen. That's how i've been pronouncing it all these years and that's how it was pronounced on Phoenix Nights :D Peter Kay and Paddy McGuiness can't be wrong!

Ha. Thats him. Miku Panty-lining.

Why was he on Pheonix Nights?

In Italian, when the letter "g" is followed by the letter "l", the g is silent. So in this case it would be pronounced, phonetically, as Kwa-lee-ah-reh-lah

I can't agree on this one :) the g is definitely NOT silent, though it could be a nice approximation of the pronounciation, the LEE part is wrong to me.

the italian syllabification of Quagliarella is Qua-glia-rel-la and that helps phonetically.. "glia" can be said "gli"+"a" where the "ah" pronounciation is fine but needs to be said fast together ;)

the "gli" part is like "ʎʎ" in IPA, and there isn't really an example of an english word to it,

well probably if you think of how is said:

- the double L in "pollo" in spanish AND

- the "lli" in "a million pounds" AND

- accentuate it a bit you can get the sound of it :)

My spanish regen Adrian Intxausti' date=' I have always struggled to say his name[/quote']

In-chow-sti. The Tx in Basque is pronounced Ch is Spanish.

As far as im aware Xavi is pronounced Chavi.

... and Joseba Etxeberria

E-che-be-ria

• 1 month later...
any offers on this one??

The "ǎ" letter is more or less the same with a schwa (ə), and the "ş" with "sh".

Cǎtǎlin Şuleap = /kətə'lin ʃu'leap/ ~ kuh-tuh-leen shoo-leh-up. You can listen to his last name here (13 and 17 seconds in):

David Pleat this is your life.

Luton Town manager

Tottenham manager..............sacked........kerb crawling incident

Leicester.............sacked

Back to Luton.

Sheffield Weds.....Resigns

Tottenham ....director of football and not a prossie in sight this time.

Famous quote There’s Thierry Henry, exploding like the French train that he is

Gawd Bless Pleat :D

• 2 months later...
How about this one, a regen of mine.

Michael Xhofleer (I know how to pronounce Michael, but not the surname)

I think it's a Dutch name, no clear on how to pronounce that though. I would guess "Zo-fleer" if I had too.

I'm Dutch, but I've never heard this name before in my life....

However, assuming it is Dutch, it would be pronounced x-oh-f-lair.

If that makes any sense.

Archived