Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recruitment changes look decent, the rest looks like stuff I'll be getting my assistant to do. Consider expectation truly tempered though I am aware you already warned us that Covid would impact the release.

Have you guys ever considered these Vlog type videos with staff working on the ME, lets us know what changes are coming ?

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

• Administrators
Just now, treble_yell_:-) said:

Recruitment changes look decent, the rest looks like stuff I'll be getting my assistant to do.

Have you guys ever considered these Vlog type videos with staff working on the ME, lets us know what changes are coming ?

We consider a lot, but given how much work our development team does, we prefer them working on the game rather than in front of the camera :D 

But yeah, maybe one year we'll go down that route. 

4 minutes ago, Lexis said:

- Speech mentality (aggresive ,passionate, etc) switched to the new terms. Some new dialog options written for them. Probably the same mechanics as before, once you figure out the best reactions you just go with that 95% of time.

- Backroom advice presented under another GUI.

- Useless Twitter reactions after matches that no one really cares about.

- Scouting requirements presented under different names.

- Different celebration at end of the season.

It is beyond me how these are presented as the main features of a new installment while asking for full retail price.

At least match engine looks better

A bit of an oversimplification on the first one in particular. 
I’ll ask the same question I find myself asking every year, what groundbreaking new feature are you expecting?

Also, yes, ME looks like it’s been worked on :thup:

Truly love that scouting meetings. Help to streamline the thinking and the targets that you know you want to get but might get sidetracked with other things that is happening. That's a huge :thup: from me personally. Liking the idea of the end of season review. It feel slightly lacklustre so I am a big fan of that. 

I think that biggest surprise of it all so far is the matchday UI being modernised. Should hopefully make the match a bit more interesting and interactive. So far, it is fantastic. :applause:

17 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

No more waiting, FM21 feature information is here with this headline feature showcase, delivered by life-long FM fan Spencer Owen who sheds more light on this year's key feature areas.

FM21's new additions and game upgrades put all of the focus on you, delivering new levels of depths and drama through improvements to these key areas:

- Interaction
- Matchday
- Recruitment
- End of Season

More information will arrive on October 19th with our headline feature blogs, diving into much more detail, laced with gameplay screenshots. What are you most looking forward to getting your hands on?

FM21 is coming November 24th, pre-purchase now for 10% off and early access, participating digital retailers only - 

The new recruitment module is what I'm looking forward to the most outside of improvements to the ME (wingers crossing and one on ones). It looks more realistic and modern so hopefully the DoF, Ass Man make intelligent suggestions. For example, I think we need a new left back. Who would your top 3 recommendations be etc. I dont want 3 32 year old has beens!

3 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Interactions, both in the form of press conferences and player interactions, are some of the most maligned features going. Press conferences in particular have been in desperate need of an overhaul for ages. They’ve hardly changed since they first came in - except moving from in the news item to in a dedicated screen. This at first glance looks to be that overhaul. Fingers crossed it’s been done well.

Training was redone last year, so I wouldn’t expect big changes there. 
CA/PA gets discussed all the time and I’m yet to come across a decent idea to replace the current system. 
Tell you what though, you’re on the money with international management, that needs looking at.

I agree press conferences have been due an overhaul. Doesn't look like this is it. It appears to be the same repetitive stuff we've had until now, with a slightly different flavor. I HOPE I am wrong.

Hoping the ME will be a redemption from last year's disaster.

10 minutes ago, Lexis said:

I agree press conferences have been due an overhaul. Doesn't look like this is it. It appears to be the same repetitive stuff we've had until now, with a slightly different flavor. I HOPE I am wrong.

Hoping the ME will be a redemption from last year's disaster.

From the teaser, it looked like you picked which journalists you talk to which at the very least feels more realistic. I’m hoping I can just ignore anyone that twists my words. We’ll find out more when the demo or beta is out I guess.

hace 7 minutos, Ruh Roh dijo:

I don't care about Steam achievements but come on, they better give you something for throwing like 50 water bottles.

Anyway I can see that the marketing is directed at players who don't really play the game the same way I do. I want to hear about the squadbuilding AI, I want to see if top players can do special things in the match engine, I definitely want to hear anything about the editor, I want to know if you're still just tying a hand behind your back by picking a non-gegenpress tactic. Things that have been kind of "off" for a while - is fatigue going to have a bigger impact this time?

I think there is still room to improve with squad dynamics and player interaction, like CK2/CK3 have definitely shown how lines of code with human faces grafted on can behave, generally, like people. But press conferences? What effect is it going to give besides a tiny morale boost/ding? How is it not going to feel repetitive again? What reasons are they giving me to not just delegate it?

Press conferences are there to give more realism to the game in case you want that sort of experience, or you can delegate them if you want to focus on the more fun aspects of the game. It is good that they are adding variety to a module that had become very stale, but press conferences should never have a big impact in other areas of the game. Nothing wrong with making the press conferences a bit more entertaining for the player while leaving them as essentially obsolete in regards to your work as a manager.

Love the look of the new trophy celebrations.

Interactions with the media and players has long needed an overhaul, so that is more then welcome. I get people might be underwhelmed by that, but people have constantly moaned about that feature for years, so an overhaul is only a good thing.

I know there many not be some amazing new massive features, but that doesn’t bother me, I don’t feel the game needs it. Cant wait for fm21 now.

Yep, in fairness the whole press conference thing and interaction has been stagnant for years. I and others have moaned about this so it HAS to be good they are doing something about it. I am still a little concerned that the whole body language thing has the potential to really mess up moral, but will just have to wait and see.

I would like to see more on the ME and training though. The pitch textures looked poor in the videos - although this never bothers me as I still play in dots anyway. Hopefully on 19th we might get some news on the ME, fingers crossed.

Good effort SI.

Just now, akm.91 said:

Looks like the same generic, robotic movements. Stadiums still look they’ve been designed by someone that’s never actually visited a stadium. Looking forward to my large corner tv screen and picnic benches down in the lower leagues  again this year 🤦🏻‍♂️

That was not what you wrote. You wrote:

12 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

nothing on graphics

And I pointed out to you that they did talk about it in the video and that they have improved certain systems around the graphics engine. Does that mean the graphics are 100% now? Of course not, but your statement is factually wrong, there's no way around it.

And being so bombastic as you are? No matter what they would have presented you have already decided. So simply don't buy it then. It's not like the are forcing you. Or just wait until release and try the demo and decide then. There's no reason to come in here and try to bring down everyone who are hyped about the new game.

Glad to see the player/press interactions have been changed. Hopefully the ME is cleaned up a bit, because outside of that I really enjoyed last years game.

I'm just happy there's going to be an FM21 tbh, it's been a truly dire year.

Liked the new video even if I only really care about recruitment of the four new features. The revamp of interactions could be very good if it is more than just a change in name tags, though I'm not sure that it is from what we are seeing.

In general I really like how the game has progressed towards realism in terms of squad building (recruitment and player development) over the last few years, and it seems FM21 will add to this.

Now hopefully we can get a good ME to match after two bad years in a row.

PS: to all who are complaining about the lack of revolutionary new features, this was never going to be the year. And don't go around saying they shouldn't release a new game without big new features because I may die if I don't get a new FM every year. The game needs incremental improvements more than anything else anyway (except on the graphics department, at some point we have to evolve from Playstation 1-level graphics)

Just now, akm.91 said:

Take your own advice and don’t comment if you can’t handle any criticism of the game. 

I’m entitled to offer my opinion that the headline features are woeful. Sorry not sorry. 

Sure. but don't write factual errors then, at least.

1 minute ago, kidd_05_u2 said:

Liked the new video even if I only really care about recruitment of the four new features. The revamp of interactions could be very good if it is more than just a change in name tags, though I'm not sure that it is from what we are seeing.

In general I really like how the game has progressed towards realism in terms of squad building (recruitment and player development) over the last few years, and it seems FM21 will add to this.

Now hopefully we can get a good ME to match after two bad years in a row.

PS: to all who are complaining about the lack of revolutionary new features, this was never going to be the year. And don't go around saying they shouldn't release a new game without big new features because I may die if I don't get a new FM every year. The game needs incremental improvements more than anything else anyway (except on the graphics department, at some point we have to evolve from Playstation 1-level graphics)

Except last year wasn't the year either :)))))) When is that year that you are talking about?

I don't even want to mention the state of the game in a couple of years when it went live and the kind of bugs it had, god knows how it's QAd lol.

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

Just hope this doesn't mean even more screens and buttons to have to click through. 

It's a tricky balance for SI really, on one hand they need to show new visible features to sell the game, on the other hand it's really getting far too much. I hope I don't have to go through recruitment meetings before signing players. I hope I don't have to chat with my players daily to be competitive. I hope I don't need to dismiss a bunch of annoying staff advice before every single match. It's likely that all of these will be optional, like so many other things already in game, but even just turning off all the optional fluff is a chore.

I've had friends trying to get into the game and giving up immediately because it's so overwhelming, even after I've directed them to the settings to assign all the stuff to staff, because even that screen itself is completely overwhelming! 

Maybe try to direct them to FMT, which is more streamlined, but still the main core experience?

hace 2 minutos, Lexis dijo:

Except last year wasn't the year either :)))))) When is that year that you are talking about?

I don't even want to mention the state of the game in a couple of years when it went live and the kind of bugs it had, god knows how it's QAd lol.

From memory (I may be wrong or missing big things): FM 17 had the full revamp of the tactics module. FM 18 the scouting module. FM 19 had the full revamp of the training and development system. FM 20 fell a bit short in terms of big shiny features, but had improvements in most areas (except for the gigantic step backwards in the ME).

8 minutes ago, XaW said:

Sure. but don't write factual errors then, at least.

10 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

Take your own advice and don’t comment if you can’t handle any criticism of the game. 

I’m entitled to offer my opinion that the headline features are woeful. Sorry not sorry. 

Lads if you can't communicate nicely, you won't be communicating at all. We shouldn't be having to say this repeatedly