Group B (BBC One from 6:30pm BST, kick-off 7pm) - Iran v Portugal (BBC One) / Spain v Morocco (BBC Four) - ALL PERMUTATIONS LISTED

git2thachoppa

Current Group B Table

VuF7DiI.png

Relevant Tiebreakers: Goal difference (GD), goals scored (GF), head-to-head result, fair play ranking (basically number of yellows, 2nd yellows and reds), drawing of lots

Spain is currently ranked above Portugal on fair play.

iran___portugal_world_cup__2018_by_jafar

Winner takes all, though Portugal only need a draw.

Even if Portugal sit back on their advantage again (whether a lead or draw), Iran pose more of an attacking threat than Morocco, not just in domestic form, but in set pieces where they've forced an own goal and had a goal ruled offside, so we might see something.

Iran give possession in safe areas, play the percentages and a psychological game, but will that be effective against a guy who can score from anywhere and is in form? If anyone might know how to stop Ronaldo, it's fellow Portuguese Carlos Queiroz, who coached the boy into a man at Manchester United, and has already written himself into Iranian history. A win here, or a draw and shock Morocco win, would be the greatest achievement in Iranian football.

maxresdefault.jpg

Spain only need a draw to qualify

Morocco are out, but manager Herve Renard is demanding the goal-less, point-less side leave the World Cup with something. Spain are expected to steamroll over Morocco with no mercy, but the Africans saw an unimaginative Spain struggle to score with a deflection against Iran and nearly lose that lead, not helped by self-sabotage and now a manager who makes questionable substitutions.

List of all Scenarios

Spain win, Portugal win: Both go through, whoever gets the biggest win (GD) or scores more if GD is same (GF) will finish first, otherwise fair play and then drawing of lots decides.

Spain win, Portugal/Iran draw: 1st - Spain, 2nd - Portugal

Spain win, Iran win: 1st - Spain, 2nd - Iran

Spain draw, Portugal win: 1st - Portugal, 2nd - Spain

Spain draw, Portugal/Iran draw: Spain and Portugal go through, whoever has the highest scoring draw finishes first, otherwise fair play and then drawing of lots decides.

Spain draw, Iran win: 1st - Iran, 2nd - Spain

Spain lose, Portugal win: 1st - Portugal, 2nd - Spain

Spain lose by 1 goal, Portugal/Iran draw: 1st - Portugal. Spain finish 2nd, unless Iran score 4 more goals in their draw (e.g. Spain 0 - 1 Morocco, Iran 4 - 4 Portugal )

Spain lose by 2 goals or more, Portugal/Iran draw: 1st - Portugal, 2nd - Iran

Spain lose, Iran win: 1st - Iran, 2nd - whoever loses by less (better goal difference) or scores the most in equal losses (goals scored) finishes 2nd (e.g. Spain finish 2nd if they lose 3-1 and Portugal lose 2-0). If both teams lose by the equal scoreline, fair play or drawing of lots decides.

I don't think I messed up anywhere...

• git2thachoppa changed the title to Group B (BBC One from 6:30pm BST, kick-off 7pm) - Iran v Portugal (BBC One) / Spain v Morocco (BBC Four) - ALL PERMUTATIONS LISTED
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious to see how this one will go. Definitely feel Spain will have an easy one with Morocco being already eliminated. Portugal could still mess up but it would be of course embarrassing if they did. Besides that, Iran needs a result from this, so they can't go in the same way as they did against Spain. 

How much fight will Morocco really have, especially if they're on the back foot? I expect Spain to win that one.

Iran have the potential to trouble Portugal, Ronaldo aside, they haven't looked amazing. Iran's approach will be interesting but I expect a 'moment' to give Portugal a 1-0 win in a tight game. I think even if Iran defend a fair bit, the longer it's 0-0 they can come out even in the last half hour rather than go at Portugal early and risk needing to come from behind

wasn't impressed by Portugal against Morocco but they have Ronaldo so they will probably win 1-0.  Spain should ease through to the winner of the group as they have a bit more about them than Portugal do

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/what-cristiano-ronaldo-hotel-window-12785398

Cristiano Ronaldo was forced to come to his hotel window on Sunday night to tell a large group of Iran fans to keep the noise down.

At least 50 Iran supporters turned up at Portugal's team hotel in Saransk, Russia, armed with Vuvuzelas, horns and a giant drum.

Then, in a bid to stop the Real Madrid star and his international team-mates from sleeping, the crowd began chanting and playing their instruments outside the four-star Mercure hotel.

Portugal play Iran on Monday night in their final Group B game. A defeat for either side could see them crash out of the 2018 World Cup.

Poor show from Iran's supporters

3 hours ago, decapitated said:

It's nothing new so I don't have a problem with it. :D Roles reversed, Portuguese would've done the same.

Iran used to be the nicest, sporting side in the world. It didn't get them very far. Now they have an edge, now they play the Spanish at their own game. As long as it's done right and with reason, we have to accept that it's football, especially if you're the underdog. I'm not expecting them to try and dislocate Ronaldo's shoulder, but giving him a hard night's sleep isn't the end of the world.

4 hours ago, Nordan said:

Four days of 'which game to watch, the one I don't watch is probably gonna be more entertaining'. :(

Russia vs Uruguay obvious choice, Belgium vs England the same. The rest is up in the air.

For me it's whichever one is on the HD channel (Freeview user).

Jahanbaskhkhkhkshsh in for Ansarifad. No surprise.

Still want to see Ghoddos knock down another Goliath, but hard to leave anyone out after a win and a flukey loss to Spain if all teams.

Iran's fans.

Mark Lawrenson.

The other game is one button away.

Ah well. I've made my choice so I'll stick with it. Ronaldo hasn't scored yet after the first five minutes, so that's encouraging.

Proper commentator's curse. Commentary team talking about how the one thing Morocco lack as a striker and Iniesta and Ramos both leave the ball for Morocco's striker

Don't think you can blame Big Save Dave for conceding a one on one created by comedy passing in defence

Trouble with Spain is they're quite good going forward too. Iniesta with an assist at both ends now...

Archived