Argentina - Croatia, Thursday, 7pm BST

GunmaN1905

Look at the **** Ronaldo has to play with, he puts up some imperious superhuman performances to drag the team through.

If messi put up half the showing ronaldo has this World Cup, his team would qualify with ease.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

If he hasn't shaken hands with the opposition then that's poor form yes. He's not the first and won't be the last to do something like that.

True. And looked like some of his team mates did the same which is lame. 

8 minutes ago, Sid1984 said:

Look at the **** Ronaldo has to play with, he puts up some imperious superhuman performances to drag the team through.

If messi put up half the showing ronaldo has this World Cup, his team would qualify with ease.

Difference is one team has a gameplan and a way to win the game and play to their strengths etc and the other, well.... Messi picks his mates. 

3 minutes ago, Sid1984 said:

Agreed, but I do feel the Portuguese team is more balanced. Next to this Messi just isn't the character that Ronaldo is, he hasn't got that insatiable hunger for succes and fame. 

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Difference is one team has a gameplan and a way to win the game and play to their strenghs etc and the other, well.... Messi picks his mates. 

Having a true leader as captain in the team who inspires teammates helps rather than just having a great player as captain. That influences the way of playing.

5 minutes ago, Sid1984 said:

Yeah but Portugal are set up with a tactical plan, which is a) set up to defend and b) set up to get the best out of Ronaldo.

Argentina are just a mix of clowns with seemingly no plan in place. Genuinely couldn't see Argentina doing anything if they had Ronaldo instead of Messi (although tbf Ronaldo probably would have scored the penalty)

2 minutes ago, Sid1984 said:

Having a true leader as captain in the team who inspires teammates helps rather than just having a great player as captain. That influences the way of playing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ronaldo makes stuff happen, Messi relies on his mates, Ronaldo would've likely provided a spark and galvanized his teammates rather than sulk and do naff all yet he'd have been berated for having to be centre of attention, more hypocrisy from OTF as usual concerning those two :thdn:

Ronaldo’s performances have been of an absolute insane level so very unlikely he keeps it up. If he didn’t the team would just be like Argentina this World Cup.

messi simply needed to perform a little bit and Argentina would qualify from this easy group.

Personally I was impressed that Messi listened to the people who accused him of being too greedy and taking too many shots against Iceland, but maybe not affecting the game at all in any way was a bit of an overreaction

Speaking of people going missing, Aguero managed the astonishing feat of not touching the ball for over 20 consecutive minutes of the first half, the sort of stat you could understand if he was playing for Andorra, but not for an Argentina side that was very much in the game at the time and needing to win. 

Even now Portugal being lauded is ********, they have a mess of a team and people are posting expecting Iran to beat them yet now they have a plan and better players simply to counter Messi's incompetence :thdn:

3 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

I'm usually pro Ronaldo if anything but there is no way Ronaldo or any other single player could do anything for this Argentina team in its current setup. Its absolutely appalling from front to back.

Think this sums it up. "Messi simply needed to perform a little bit" ffs :D 

That was such a sh*tshow from Argentina. That's what you get for fielding Johnny Sins in goal.

Argentina were so bad. Messi was non-existent, but the team didn't even try to involve him. And I fail to see what Meza offers what Lo Celso or Dybala can do. Hell, maybe play Acuna or Salvio as an actual winger, maybe they'll do better than Meza for once.

Having said that, Croatia were really good, and are being written off too early. Their main midfield pair are key players for Madrid and Barca FFS.

2 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Even now Portugal being lauded is ********, they have a mess of a team and people are posting expecting Iran to beat them yet now they have a plan and better players simply to counter Messi's incompetence :thdn:

Do you think Portugal has less of a cohesive plan that Argentina? Did you just watch Argentina? 

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Do you think Portugal has less of a cohesive plan that Argentina? Did you just watch Argentina? 

Portugal would look equally clueless as Argentina if Ronaldo was non existent like Messi was last 2 games.

2 minutes ago, Sid1984 said:

Messi has many qualities, leadership is certainly not one of them. Put Messi in Portugal instead of Ronaldo, they would be useless.

Are you suggesting Argentina are struggling because Messi lacks leadership qualities?

Anyway, I just wonder where all the defenders and CMs are in Argentina? Do they not produce them anymore because if the current batch is the best they have to offer... :lol:

4 minutes ago, Sid1984 said:

Messi has many qualities, leadership is certainly not one of them. Put Messi in Portugal instead of Ronaldo, they would be useless.

I do agree with that, I feel Messi isn't the type of leader Ronaldo is. Messi also shouldn't be forced in that role which he is at the moment. Still see Ronaldo at that EC Final coaching his team from the sideline more than their manager did :D. Could not see Messi even doing such a thing, and that is fine but just to underline the difference between the two. Argentina should always have someone like Mascherano as their captain, I feel if you take that pressure away from Messi and simply make him 'one of the players' he will automatically feel less pressure and probably perform better. 

At Barça he is also the captain at times, but those two situations are incomparable imo. At Barça there are the foundations for him to be captain, at the Argentinian national team not. 

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Yes I did watch and your question is neither here nor there on the scale of things whilst im not bothered whether they did or did not have a plan however I wouldn't be surprised if Croatia put 3 past Portugal too yet team spirit plays a big part too, Portugal have fighters and wouldn't give up and if they did Ronaldo would be pushing his teammates not walking around with his head down doing naff all.

Anyway I'm out as I agree with this man:

12 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why does it always have to be Messi vs Ronaldo?

There's a topic for that on football forum.

My God. We were atomic. Mandžukić, Rebić and Perišić are probably K.O.-ed right now- that was a triple marathon. I knew that Caballero and the back line had to be put to the sword. And we did it, A victory among the greatest for the checkered ones. Messi forced into retirement by a merciless defense.

20 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Are you suggesting Argentina are struggling because Messi lacks leadership qualities?

Anyway, I just wonder where all the defenders and CMs are in Argentina? Do they not produce them anymore because if the current batch is the best they have to offer... :lol:

Not sure but they could definitely field a better defence and midfield than they have even without producing anyone else.

But clearly a long way from Samuel, Ayala, Redondo etc. 

Such a great game...Croatia were utterly fantastic and Argentina were just bland.  Best games so far - Spain V Portugal...Germany V Mexico...and now this one, Croatia V Argentina...such a good world cup so far.

wish I had put some money on Argentina getting the early exit home, a world class looking attack but a shocking defence/midfield picked in the squad taken by the manager.  What Argentina would give for a Redondo in midfield and Samuel in defence. even somebody like Coloccini is better than what was put out tonight

I feel Argentina might need Messi to retire for them to rebuild and progress properly, despite the fact it sounds stupid on paper

Well, they didn't take Samuel and Zanetti in 2006, Zanetti and Cambiasso in 2010.

Some would say them having this kind of defense and midfield now is karma.

Dybala-Icardi-Lautaro trio to win it in 2022.

Sampaoli said that it's the team's fault for not helping Messi.

Then another reporter asked Aguero about as he was exiting the locker room and Aguero replied with something like who cares about what he says.

5 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Brozović starting, not Badelj.

Even more running and pressing from Croatia.

Croatia has never lost second game of any big tournament:

96 Denmark 3-0
98 Japan 1-0
02 Italy 2-1
04 France 2-2
06 Japan 0-0
08 Germany 2-1
12 Italy 1-1
14 Cameroon 4-0
16 Czech 2-2

The run continues then. 

Just caught up with the game. The back three was terrible and a waste of 55 mins.

They went to a four and were so much better, then Sampaoli ****ed up by bringing on Dybala. They were doing just fine at that point, putting on pressure, building momentum. The Dybala sub killed it. Not because of him, but because they lost a central midfielder and ended up with Mascherano-Meza in the middle. And Meza doesn't strike me as a player that can play that role.

They need a draw tomorrow. An Iceland win and they're going to be praying for a four goal swing (at least). And Iceland don't look like a side that will get thrashed by anyone. And if they're concerned they'll just park the bus like they did vs. Argentina and make sure they don't lose heavy

Archived