Argentina - Croatia, Thursday, 7pm BST

GunmaN1905

Saw the probable Argentinian lineup and I was so upset that I had to create a thread early. :D

Subašić; Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Strinić; Badelj, Rakitić; Rebić, Modrić, Perišić; Mandžukić.

Caballero; Mercado, Otamendi, Tagliafico; Salvio, Enzo, Mascherano, Acuna; Messi, Meza; Aguero. 

Probable Argentinian lineup for tomorrow, 3-4-3.

So, basically he didn't even invite Enzo Perez, then Lanzini gets injured, a player that plays in completely different role and can't be compared with Perez.
That would mean Perez wasn't needed and was called up because Sampaoli saw no other better backup.
Second game of the tournament, Enzo Perez is starting? Prime example that Sampaoli is completely lost and clueless.
Why did you take those other midfielders then if a guy who was at a vacation up until last week will start?

That back three will get killed in the air. They don't have a single tall player on the lineup.
Mandžukić and Perišić will have a huge advantage in air. And that's even before set-pieces come into play.

You have Pizarro, Paredes, Lo Celso, Perotti, Lamela, Di Maria, Perotti, Dybala, Higuain, Icardi on your disposal, but Salvio, Perez, Acuna and Meza are playing?
Even Pavon has shown more in just 20ish minutes than Meza.

Tbh, the only thing that can save Argentina tomorrow is Croatia choking or Messi having otherworldy performance.
Even then, it won't matter much, because it's obvious that anything more than quarter-finals would be a miracle for this team.
You don't change your complete gameplan after one game, especially knowing Argentina was dreadful with three at the back.

I get the point of some players not fitting the system and those guys would be perfectly fine if you didn't have any other options, but the guy literally leaves out three guys that scored 73 goals in CL and Serie A this season.
If you can't incorporate any of them in your team that means you're a clueless turd.

As for Croatia, Badelj is sort of a Biglia-like player. Good holding midfielder and a passer.
Not much will change and Croatia doesn't know how to play defensively even if they wanted to.

Sure, people think Argentina will dominate, but I can't see them controlling possession because their midfield is incapable of pressing and taking the ball.
Acuna, Meza and Salvio could help with that, but still we know Messi will jog around, Mascherano is ancient and Enzo Perez is also old and probably out of form.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if that's not the exact lineup, they will surely field a 3-4-3 and Acuna has already been on last press conference with Sampaoli.

The only doubt would be Enzo Perez spot.

Since Sampaoli has fetishes for certain players, Meza should be safe.

Idk, from what I've seen against Iceland he's great off-ball but offers nothing in the build-up.
It would be a perfect role for Dybala, 3-4-2-1 basically.

And two fullbacks as CBs in 3man defense against physically imposing players Croatia have? Not going to work out.

We've already seen both Allegri and Spalletti abusing opposition fullbacks who are usually shorter with Perišić and Mandžukić and far-post crosses.
Wouldn't surprise me if Kramarić starts and Mandžukić goes wide.

But as you said, all signs point to absolute shambles from Argentina.
So sad that they basically waste four World Cups and absolutely stacked teams with idiotic coaches. Pekerman, Maradona, Sabella and now Sampaoli.

Check the 2002-2010 squads. Those teams were stacked.
But they would always have idiotic coaches that ruined everything.

And it's already been shown by much weaker teams that defending can be achieved with supposedly mediocre players.
Argentinian front line is stacked.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Check the 2002-2010 squads. Those teams were stacked.
But they would always have idiotic coaches that ruined everything.

And it's already been shown by much weaker teams that defending can be achieved with supposedly mediocre players.
Argentinian front line is stacked.

Front line yeah but Higuaín and Agüero for example haven't replicated their club form and I don't think it was the coach to blame (generally yes, but not for their finishing).

Agree on the other squads, was talking about just this one.

Well, Acuña and Salvio definitely make more sense as wingbacks in a 3-4-3 than in a backline of 4. :D

I've lost my faith in Sampaoli after the 1st match, ridiculous lack of dynamism in the side tbh.

Sampoli is not in charge of the Argentina team, it's a team full of Messi's pals because he wants to control the team and get them to play through him

anybody with a brain would put Dybala in that team for something different because he is the sort of player who can win games for Argentina in the right position

This might be low key most entertaining game in this WC. Both teams are terrible (ok, this might be too strong of a word) at the back, with more than enough creativity and skill in midfield and attack.

So, judging by that logic, it'll end 0-0 or 1-0 to either side. This World Cup is like that :D 

2 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Just opened the thread. Got absolutely soaked by the splash of gunman's tears. Needs a warning in the title

Which tears? It's a win-win situation for me.

Either criminal organization led by money laundering players bottles it and bandwagon fans cry or Sampaoli and Messi get knocked out.

Higuain missing a sitter would be a cherry on top.

Brozović starting, not Badelj.

Even more running and pressing from Croatia.

Croatia has never lost second game of any big tournament:

96 Denmark 3-0
98 Japan 1-0
02 Italy 2-1
04 France 2-2
06 Japan 0-0
08 Germany 2-1
12 Italy 1-1
14 Cameroon 4-0
16 Czech 2-2

I reckon we'll see more than two goals for once. Both defences look a bit suspect, but Argentina's especially so.

My tip is for Croatia to win by a single goal. That's all I'll say for now, considering my (lack of) prediction skills. :D

"hey Pablo you played in the World Cup Final 4 years ago?"
"yes I did"
"lets just show Germany winning the game to make you feel better"

could have shown "highlights" of the tournament of him, rather than showing a moment he probably hasn't bothered with since he played the game :D

Archived