England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

He should have played 4-3-1-2, as the squad he picked insisted, but I get the impression that, having seen the first game and performance, he felt obliged to stick with 4-3-3.

Only out I can give him, because he picked a load of central players and then played wingers. So odd. I thought England looked better in 4-3-1-2 before the tournament anyway. As in, from March onwards

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst Rashford deserves no blame, let's not forget all he did was hit the first man from a cross, hit the first man from a corner then dribble into the box leaving the ball behind.

Sterling was one of our better players. Just whenever he got the ball he had at times two people closing him down and no ****ers apart from Rose would come to give an angle for a pass. Kane stood like a lemon and midfield static.

Just ***** all round.

The same people saying we should go for a more cohesive team are the same people who were calling Henderson **** whilst making us a more balanced faster moving midfield and wanting Sterling subbed off when he was our only outlet last night to stick on a 3rd striker.

The same people saying we should go for a more cohesive team are the same people who were calling Henderson **** whilst making us a more balanced faster moving midfield and wanting Sterling subbed off when he was our only outlet last night to stick on a 3rd striker.

At least you can look forward to club football returning! Oh wait. Supporting Charlton and Russell Slade as manager :D :D

Like I said, Hodgson was the failure here - he didn't know his best system which meant he took players who didn't suit the one he chose. He took players either out of form or severely unfit and well, the team played shocking.

i've been defensive of Hodgson but sadly i think this is the case, he bottled it in the tournament.

we did what was expected in qualifying, nothing more, nothing less but slowly the team was changing and growing into something, we also found a system that suited them, worked and was used against the best teams in friendlies.

come to the tournament and suddenly we have a completely unbalanced squad and a system that seemed to have nothing tactically, nor suited the players in the unbalanced squad.

not saying everything would have been rosy if we had played the 4312 but it was the obvious choice and I don't understand why Roy abandoned it.

i'm sure there will be a massive 'inquest' now. the powers that be will say to us to fix england we need B teams, league 3, EPPP etc oh and by the way, say hi to our new manager Gareth

saying that i hope the fans don't have a meltdown and start booing the team and such, we have some good young players that could do well with a bit of encouragement and a positive approach

Sterling was one of our better players. Just whenever he got the ball he had at times two people closing him down and no ****ers apart from Rose would come to give an angle for a pass. Kane stood like a lemon and midfield static.

Well Kane seems to be made loads of excuses made for him in the media and after the Wales game it was he wasn't getting the service but yeah I'd say it's the opposite and he just made no runs and was an absolutely dreadful outlet throughout.

Must have created so many more chances with Vardy on the pitch than Kane in the second half against Wales and the Slovakia game.

At least you can look forward to club football returning! Oh wait. Supporting Charlton and Russell Slade as manager :D :D

Oh dear, hard to brag our tournament performance has made us suicidal and yet we were still able to put the second best team in Europe in their place.

Greg Dyke should have been on the phone to sack Hodgson before he had chance to resign. Shocking performance from the manager ad the players. Couldn't even defend against Iceland's long throw, just shows that we didn't put the effort in on the training ground. Roy probably thought he could just pick 11 players and win, he underestimated the opposition. Again. He is just an old-fashioned manager who is out of touch with the modern game.

The players were awful too. Rooney just showed why he isn't captain material. You need to be a leader, be able to motivate your team and lead by example. He couldn't even make a simple pass and clearly couldn't get his teammates up for the game. So poor that he was subbed for a rookie. The last few minutes is when you need your captain to stand up but he is not capable of it. The problem is, we don't seem to have anyone else capable of it either. Just a bunch of overpaid prima donnas who showed no desire to win the game whatsoever. We didn't even test their goalie in the entire match.

Fair play to Iceland, they had a gameplan, bullied England all over the pitch and fully deserve the win. I'll be cheering them on for the rest of their tournament.

Even though I enjoyed Rooney in midfield,

Don't want him to retire though, still think he's one of our best players. I honestly blame our failure on Hodgson

This is why we cant have nice things

So, does everybody that was of the opposite opinion still think it wasn't an utterly ridiculous and shambolic decision to take Wilshere?

Sturridge and Sterling proving just how bloody good Luis Suarez was too. Sturridge the most selfish footballer I've ever seen and Sterling just has no football brain whatsoever.

No, I don't think it was stupid to take Wilshere, as he's still our best CM.

It was stupid to take Barkley and not give him a single minute when we're struggling to break teams down mind.

Also stupid to take an excessive amount of central strikers and then use them as wingers. Sturridge is pretty terrible on the wing.

I still find it hard to understand how people can consider playing somebody that unfit and rusty in a major international tournament was even close to a good idea. I'd say I'm glad they're not England manager but ****ing Roy Hodgson did it anyway :D

You maybe make exceptions for true world class stars, but not Jack ****ing Wilshere ffs!

So, does everybody that was of the opposite opinion still think it wasn't an utterly ridiculous and shambolic decision to take Wilshere?

Sturridge and Sterling proving just how bloody good Luis Suarez was too. Sturridge the most selfish footballer I've ever seen and Sterling just has no football brain whatsoever.

Not hardly. I feel like a guru as I've ended up calling most things so far for England, only thing I got was that I had Iceland scoring 3 last night :D.

Wilshere, hand to hauled off against Slovakia but he was the man to save the game last night.

As I've said before, it's all so predictable that it wasn't a surprise.

One thing that made me laugh last night was Hoddle saying our defenders are not used to long throws in the Premier League :D

The league is the breeding ground for that style of football and we got bullied, just like the same defenders do for their clubs. Last night was clearest yet that we lack a leader at the back of the same ilk as JT/Rio/Carragher.

He should have played 4-3-1-2, as the squad he picked insisted, but I get the impression that, having seen the first game and performance, he felt obliged to stick with 4-3-3.

Only out I can give him, because he picked a load of central players and then played wingers. So odd. I thought England looked better in 4-3-1-2 before the tournament anyway. As in, from March onwards

He was either stupid or cowardly not to adapt his system. It's not like the players where strangers to, or uncomfortable playing a 4-3-1-2. 4 years wasted. England are physical fit, technically adept, mentally weak and tactically inept. We need a manager who can deal with the latter too, and is ruthless enough to toughen then up, because there is a serious inability to handle pressure in this side.

The England rugby team really don't get enough praise by the English media, they have an incredibly **** poor tournament but then come back much stronger incredibly quickly....The England football team is about as useful as a wet paper bag incredibly consistently. Suppose there is some consistency I guess?

The England rugby team really don't get enough praise by the English media, they have an incredibly **** poor tournament but then come back much stronger incredibly quickly....The England football team is about as useful as a wet paper bag incredibly consistently. Suppose there is some consistency I guess?

After the debacle in the World Cup, your team came back and won 10 out of 10, conceding three goals. You were top seeds, and it wasn't that taxing a group, but you did pretty much everything that could be asked of you prior to another tournament.

Hart and Rooney did last night. Hodgson hasn't shown up anywhere apart from that pisstake of a statement

Rooney saying he will still be available for selection, hopefully the next manager is not stupid enough to pick him

Rooney is still Englands best player hands down, and has been for a long time, Take Rooney and (your captain) out of the team, i don't think England would as much.

What the hell are you on about :D

I'm surprised you haven't noticed Dier. Before last night's game I thought he'd been a bit wasteful of possession in attacking positions. But last night he made more incisive passes than Alli or Rooney did.

Thought Rooney was quite good at creating chances for Iceland.

I know I'm probably not allowed to comment since im Dutch and we are not even there, but that said, how can you make Rooney a CM when he has the first touch and technical skills of an amateur footballer. All balls jump from his feet.. How can you play a passing game with a playmaker like that.

Biggest problem for England was the midfield and playing a formation with wingers without playing wingers.

Hopefully this shambles of a team in this tournament will stop some going on about Rooney being a 'quarterback' or assuming the 'Pirlo' role in his later years, as he just doesn't have the technical ability to play that role. And neither do the rest of the team to adapt to a system that uses that role.

Ironically Kane's awful performances mean Rooney probably would have been a better option up front after all the pre-tournament talk of shoe-horning him into the XI :D

Only just realised Rooney equaled Beckham's outfield caps record. Did that even get a mention? Probably not a game to celebrate it...

I think this says a lot really. As well as having most outfield caps he is our record goal scorer. Although Rooney has been a top player for Man Utd & done well for England over the years, he can hardly even at his peak be described as world class, & there is no way even in my lifetime he is in the top ten English players who have represented this country, & isn't fit to lick the likes of Bobby Charlton's boots. We play far more internationals these days, many of which are against very poor teams which is why players gains so many caps & goals.

Back to last nights games. Rooney was abysmal, except for his penalty, & we might as well have been playing with 10 men throughout. He is also no leader, & there didn't seem to be anyone who could lead among the players who played in the finals for us, which is one of our problems.

Archived