Players you hadn't heard of who impressed you most?

soccer.joel

I've racked up so many hours on Football Manager (coupled with the amount of football I watch) that there couldn't possibly be any players at a World Cup I've never heard of!

If you mean unfashionable players though, the Algerian keeper impressed me. M'Bohli? And Leckie, the Australian winger looked good too.

The USA full back, Yedlin I think his name was? Looked very quick and exciting going forward. Also most of the Costa Rica team :D Gamboa and Bolanos were good I thought, had never heard of them before.

I think the highest profile player I hadn't heard of was Divock Origi but I wasn't overly impressed with him.

I'd heard of most players at the WC but the ones that impressed me most that I hadn't heard of were Keylor Navas, Fabian Johnson, Kyle Beckerman, M'Bohli... that might be it actually. Everybody else that I hadn't known simply didn't impress me - Divock Origi being one.

Rojo by an absolute mile for me. Maybe I should have heard of him beforehand, mind.

Plays for Sporting CP. Never seen him play before the WC but knew of him through FM and others talking about him. Apparently a very good player. I think the WC backed that opinion up :D

Rojo by an absolute mile for me. Maybe I should have heard of him beforehand, mind.

Was a hero for my Spurs FM team.

My football knowledge would be so **** without FM and it's not that impressive anyway :D

Charles Aranguiz.

Bit baffled regular football watchers hadn't even heard of James Rodriguez, he was for a while the best player in Portugal, played regularly in the Champions League, then moved in a 45 million euros transfer last season lol.

Charles Aranguiz.

Bit baffled regular football watchers hadn't even heard of James Rodriguez, he was for a while the best player in Portugal, played regularly in the Champions League, then moved in a 45 million euros transfer last season lol.

Rodriguez featured in a "unknowns XI" in a paper I read today, would expect that people who follow European football might have at least known about him

the only ones I can really state as not knowing was probably Costa Rican players, apart from Navas who I've seen in La Liga a few times

Never heard of Rodriguez before the World Cup and still don't know who he plays for. I pretty much only follow the premiership and even then pretty much only Liverpool. So most of the players at the World Cup I either haven't heard of, or recognise the name but don't know if they're any good or who they play for.

I've racked up so many hours on Football Manager (coupled with the amount of football I watch) that there couldn't possibly be any players at a World Cup I've never heard of!

If you mean unfashionable players though, the Algerian keeper impressed me. M'Bohli? And Leckie, the Australian winger looked good too.

Leckie has been crap for Australia besides at World Cup. Can't play final ball and is only pace

Never heard of Rodriguez before the World Cup and still don't know who he plays for. I pretty much only follow the premiership and even then pretty much only Liverpool. So most of the players at the World Cup I either haven't heard of, or recognise the name but don't know if they're any good or who they play for.

Monaco .

I think I'd've looked at you blankly if you'd asked me what I thought of Hameez Rodriguez before the tournament started though.

I even knew it was pronounced Hamez :cool: Only because I recently had a Monaco game on in the background and the commentators kept saying it instead of Rodriguez.

I don't think seeing a name in FM quantifies as hearing about a player. However FM did make me aware of some players who I then judge based on their performance. I will never say I heard of a player because I seen them in a game. However, I was particularly interested in seeing Balanta play as I'd never seen him play before but recognized him from FM.

Players who stood out; Navas (seen him play before but never took notice)

Enner Valencia (only seen him in a friendly before the WC)

Beckerman

Yedlin

C. Sanchez

M. Diaz

Tejeda, Besic, Afful, Dominguez (Ecuador GK) + Djabou I agree with, but everyone else mentioned in here so far I had heard of before the tournament.

Except Kramer, I had never heard of him before. Wasn't massively impressed by him though.

Only others I might add to the impressive and I've never heard of would be Oshaniwa (Nigeria) and Hajsafi (Iran), but it's hard to add to the 5 above.

Haven't played FM for years and he isn't exactly a very known player IRL :)

Think Ochoa was like FM07/08.. that is 7 years :D so can't use that excuse!

Archived