FM14 - What club will you start with and why?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ehm, I usually start of with my favourite club Feyenoord, to check how good players are, but I don't really like top of the Eredivisie in FM.

Other than that either Arsenal/Dinamo Zagreb/Leeds/Roma or a smaller club. Not up to date on who plays were atm :p.

Either:

Southampton - I'm a supporter, and haven't played an FM save with them since FM10.

Fiorentina - the other club I support, got an incredibly good squad this year. A Scudetto challenge will be the first season aim.

Exeter City - Horrible finances and fan-owned, sounds like a challenge. Always liked them irl so need to do an FM save with them soon.

Basingstoke Town - hometown club and had my favourite ever save with them on FM12.

Kyoto Sanga - Managed to win a quadruple with Consadole Sapporo on FM12, want to go one better with Sanga.

Unemployed in a foreign country - LLM in Asia/South America/Eastern Europe seems fun.

I have 3 options;

1. Crewe Alexandra - Tis my current save on FM13, always admired the work they have done with the youngsters - Dario Gradi especially. It's a good challenge to do.

2. Burnley - My team. I don't want to put Ginger Mourinho out of the job though

3. Southampton - Same basis as Crewe with their youth academy but also have good finances and an ambitious squad. PLus Jay Rod play's for them

Sadly what I find time after time is reputation is all that matters. It doesn't matter how much money a lower reputation premiership team has, a quality player would rather go without a club than join a lower club (no matter what wages they can pay).

I hope that FM14 addresses this problem because you can't tell me that the only reason QPR got in big names last season was because of their reputation!

Exactly. This has been a crippling flaw in FM for years, and every year that more RL clubs go the excessive spending route, the more insane it seems.

Money > Reputation.

For the first time ever I'm not going to be Man Utd, I fancy a change and to experience other leagues.

So the plan is for 3 main saves:

1. A high level single team save, Barca / Real / Bayern, someone like that, still to pick the team.

2. A "Mourinho" save, start at a club of Europa league level outside England and then club hop after ideally winning something in each league 2-3 seasons max per club.

3. Small as possible, the rags to riches at one career, as obscure as possible, another single club save.

I shall play as Man Utd, because as we all know, we always do badly when the game first comes out. Therefore I can say that it's realistic that my players underperform and my tactics suck, just like Moyes!

On a serious note... Man Utd cos Fergie's gone and I always run a game with them. I'll also do a game in Wales at some point as well as a game as England/Wales manager to see if the International aspect has been upgraded/fixed.

Hearts for me, the club I support but also an excellent challenge! 15 point deduction thread bare squad with only 3 players over 21 and a transfer embargo for the season :) The joys of being a jambo. Keeping the club up and helping them get out of admin then re-building to have a crack at the title should be fun.

More than likely Tonbridge Angels, I managed to get them to the Premiership in FM13 and twice finished second but never won the league with them, also made a semi-final and a final of the CL but never won it, you could say I have some unfinished business with them.

I'm looking for a suggestion actually; for the last few years I've used Stevenage (when they weren't yet in the Football League) and then Gloucester City (because they're my hometown club and were finally playable!). However last year I really struggled with Gloucester because they'd finally fixed the ability to sign professional players to a semi-pro club, so I want to go back to a professional outfit, which means Conference Premier, and preferably a team that hasn't been in the League before (just for the romantic value). Do any of them fit the bill though?

Probably Barca, to get back into the game after sitting out FM13.

After that, one of:

- PEC Zwolle, Holland's suprise team so far, who were on top for 5 games

- Southampton, interested in their team

- Columbia. They're fifth on the FIFA ranking, so curious to get to know them

- Boca Juniors, my FM fav club

Will start with Lyon- one of my favorite clubs, but they've hit a rough patch lately, and I think it'll be a good challenge. Also thinking about a European journeyman save or picking a random Championship/League One side and seeing how far I can go with them.

I will be Blackburn Rovers since I am BRFC season ticket holder and life time fan.

but maybe take over Sheffield United aswell. should be doing much better than they are doing at the minute.

also other clubs I would look at are Portsmouth, Crawley Town and Stevenage are good clubs to take over. you know you will zero budget and have to prove your skills to get best out of the existing squad.

Archived