FM14 - What club will you start with and why?

Me too. Every single year I go in with the intention of playing one save only throughout the year. Only ever done that once.

I must start approxiamtely 100 saves per year. of which only about 10 are any good. This year on FM14 I will have no more than 5 saves...and if I start off well, I may only have the one save. I want one career. a 30years+ never done it, never got close. Here's to hoping...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will start my first save as Liverpool. I support them but haven't played a save as them for a fair few years now. Alongside that, I will do some sort of career but I'm not sure what yet.

How do you manage to play two side by side games? Never understood how its possible! :) Is it a different mind-set or...?

I usually play in the beta with Hearts, the team of my blood. Then in the full game, I'll pick a low-ranked team close to where I live at that time. Right now that's Manchester, so it's looking like Stockport, Stalybridge, Hyde or Macclesfield. Of those, the closest to my house is Hyde (it would have been Droylsden, but for last season's relegation from the Conference North) so I might go with them.

EDIT: AA Routplanner tells me that Stalybridge is 1.5 miles closer to me than Hyde, so I stand corrected! So perhaps them, then. Or Oldham Athletic if I fancy a start a bit higher up.

Arsenal as always, especially with Wenger doing sod all in the transfer market this year!

I'm intrigued - As a neutral, I though Wenger was incredibly shrewd in the transfer window -

he got two classic free transfers - one a promising youngster, one a familiar face, and spent the bulk of his budget on a proven world-class player.

What did I miss?

Anyone else going for a 'drag the country up by means of the club' kind of game?

May look at a Psv save looking at how real life form is going at the moment as it seems it could be a huge rebuild project for me, with sales of some key players will be a challenge to keep up with Ajax and a couple of other teams.

1860 munich are also another team im looking into or as said before Unemployed.

Either way I will manager Villa at some point during one of the saves.

I normally rotate between just managing Bristol City for a whole version and then doing a journeyman career the following version. On 13 I was City for the entire time so I will start unemployed and just see where the game takes me.

I may also have a dabble with City on the beta as this will be the worst we've been on the game for some time although I suspect in FM it will be quite easy to get them straight back up.

Was thinking about Norwich as they're my local club, but recently been thinking about TSV Munchen.

Actually... going to just go ahead and go with Norwich. Can't start with TSV until the German Lower League EDT file is released.

Like always I will have two saves. A Chelsea one and a 'Career Mode' one where I start Unemployed with Sunday League Footballer.

If I find a club I like and I have time to invest in it, I'll usually stick with it, but if I get a ****** club, I'll often just play to get approached by a better club. Started of at Dartford and got to AC Milan by the start of the 2021 campaign.

I'm still undecided who to be. Every FM I rarely have multiple saves, think this FM was the first time I did so because I struggled to settle down into a save.

Think the 2 main saves I'll be looking at will be Bayern Munich to enjoy being a big team that has a solid core and be able to sign a wide range of players and an unemployed journeyman save involving some different countries this time i.e. Instead of the usual England, France, Spain etc will have the likes of Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia etc loaded. Until the demo comes out won't fully know as there may be a new team that catches my eye because they have a couple of good youngsters.

Fancy Wigan a fairly deep and decent squad for the championship and a stint in the Europa League. I don't really carry my first save on too long anyway after I've tweeked my formation and got things ticking over the way I like I normally start afresh the Beta is really an experimental period.

I always 100% start with Sunday League experience and unemployed. Im usually a 1-2 save type guy and play long term. Had some fantastic saves over the last few FM's. Havant & Waterlooville, AGOVV in Holland were my two saves this time and both took me on succesfull journeys. No history and lower leagues with Havant & ended up in the Premierleague having a massively successful spell with my real life club Norwich City. Then started another save to tie me over until FM14 starting unemployed with AGOVV. Took that tiny club hidden in a forest to the top dutch league before leaving them to restore some glory at Feyenoord.

On FM14 Ill hopefully have a nice new laptop that can handle the amount of leagues I use to love playing with on FM12....so ill have a big wide world to explore instead of the 8 ish leagues ive had to make do with on FM13 annoyingly

i i fear i may not even get FM14 for a while. due to lack of time im still on my one and only save from FM13 and that is my pompey save where i have just completed season 11.

however if i do get FM14 i will probably do what ive done previously and that is just create my own challenge where i load as many leagues/nations as poss and basically just try and win as many competitions in as many differnt countries as possible. i don't impose any specific rules but if i win say the prem, then i probably wouldnt take another job in the prem for a while, move around other countries. obvs i might want to go back to a prem team if it will help me win the champs league. ive had some epic journey man saves by doing this. the only down side is that sometime it can take say 3-4 season to win the domesic league and by that time you have built up a pretty decent squad, but you have to be ruthless and move on. usually 3 season max.

Trying to break into the top 4 with Everton by the end of season 2. After that, keeping them in the top 4 and generating lots of cash to buy players and upgrade the facilities. Hopefully by that point some rich benefactor will finally purchase ownership of the club from Bill Kenwright.

This year in FM14 im going to start unemployed on sunday league past experience, then see which BSN/BSS team offers me the a job. then start a sort of journeyman save trying to get any of these clubs on my resume and take them to glory or other clubs that catch my eye.

AFC Wimbledon (as im a supporter)

Liverpool (also a supporter)

Werder Bremen

Fiorentina

Villarreal

Ajax

Barcelona

Difficult one for me.... It's been a while since I've managed an EPL team, so i'm tempted by the likes of Swansea, Everton and especially Southampton. But on the other hand I'm also tempted by an academy only challenge type of game, with someone like Crewe, but I don't know if I have the time to invest in such a game..... Ahh the choices!

Last year I went with Brentford and had fun with them (my first year playing FM as well).

This year, a toss up between Leyton Orient and Wimbledon based upon suggestions from this board. I am not really familiar with League One/Two teams (other than what I read in the news) but I am trying to pick a team near London so I can see them in real life come the end of March. The "Os" seem to be doing well so hopefully that reflects in player ratings, coach ratings, or team prestige so I have a good foundation to build on and they will probably be my first pick. Depending on how that goes, I'll fire up a Wimbledon save by the end of the year.

After the January update, I'll change to the Vancouver Whitecaps as they are who I follow and there seems to be quite a few MLS specific changes. Not as fun as taking a lower league English team and seeing how fast I can get them to the premiership but will be fun all the same since I am familiar with many of the players in the MLS.

Archived