*Official 13.0.2 Updated Pre-Order Beta Feedback* - Keep all Feedback in here please!

This is gonna seem like such a small thing, I fully expect the post to be ignored. But hear me out. Some of us (well, I can only speak for myself, I suppose) are really interested in following the various board takeovers (especially tycoons) around the world. In FM12 and before, I'd get information about takeovers by being subscribed to a league. In FM13, news about takeovers only comes when you're subscribed to individual clubs, which is of course deeply tedious. It'd be nice to have it re-attached to league subscriptions.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you had actually bothered to read my post, you would see that i said i used TEN different tactic and player combinations! what is so hard to understand what i am saying? I keep answering people like you who keep going on about single strategies when i have pointed out that they do not matter as i have tried ten in this very instance and contrary to your post have posted examples prior to this post but you are not the first misguided soul to accuse me of not doing so. You merely pick up the last post and get up on your high horse and beat the typical drum of YOUR TACTICS ARE WRONG! when like i say i tried TEN varying degrees of them. Now i know you are going to come back after not reading or understanding what i have said and will once again go on about my single tactical worth etc....

I do not doubt that you know tactics very well as your posting suggests. My point is that tactics if reasonably concieved even to the point of using the default settings should not result in the repeated defeat of superior teams by inferior teams period.

On another note and not in reply to the last person to mistake my meaning utterly, weirdly after drinking some wine and for laughs i loaded up FM13 at a point i was stuck and very frustrated, decided to put a cover defender and a stopper into two of my formations (i have never downloaded or used anyone else's formations in FM games) and won two games in a row with no swearing which is a new thing thus far.

Then i got my 5th chairman cash injection in 1 and 1/3 seasons this time for 11.25 million that b******, what's the point in my trying to be thrifty when he keeps throwing in money?

I think we already realise, your tactics are clearly not working. Please do try to keep tweaking and who knows, maybe 1 day soon, it will turn around for you :thup:

In fact, I have one other small & cosmetic suggestion that would improve my game-playing experience some. I love the competition build-up news items, and I'd like that when stadia are mentioned either as potential hosts for finals or as venues for international matches, that either there was a parenthetical which told me which club plays in that stadium normally or a link to the club. As it stands, I'm doing a lot of Googling whenever those news items come up.

I just had a player score from a throw in. As in literally. Long throw in to the penalty area missing a cluster and it going through the keepers hands. The commentry was something like "he certainly did mean that". I bet he didn't. :D The player taking the throw in was credited with it.

Had that happen in FM12 once, but not directly in, off a leg/scrum in front (and in BSP league, so not a top goalie)

Does anyone else find the ball difficult to see? I mean my eyes could be going, possibly... but I'm still a young lad so this is hopefully not the case. It's like there's not enough contrast between the white of the ball and the light green of the pitch. When the ball is in the shade it is easily visible. I often end up watching the shadow the ball creates, as opposed to the ball itself. perhaps a custom ball skin would fix the problem, although i don't know where i would find one

yea a couple of times.

a couple of other bits

some transfer fee demands are OTT, I got quoted this for Zouma

2E9C356B8B0C2DF2B7A3AC20AD666BEDB430998A

and is it me or is very fluid broken? I used to have a 4-2-2-2 very fluid as a basic tactic in FM12 that worked superbly well at home (quick 1 touch passes, players trying to win the ball etc) with zero tinkering. in FM13 now I use very fluid, players misplace every pass, don't close down etc, and the opposition was constantly atatcking (i thought the idea of players contributing was supposed to make strikers and wingers tackle back) yet i switch to fluid, player tackle, start to pass well etc.

so why is this not happening in very fluid?

Is there really going to be that bigger difference with the updated beta and the complete version we'll be getting in three days now? I'm talking graphics wise mainly. I can see the bugs being worked on as they have in the past years but this years graphical match engine improvements haven't wowed me at all like I thought they would.

For example the Director cam view at the beginning of the each match; showing random poorly rendered shots of the stadium you're about to play in and the lack of improvement in player movement on the field despite all of the added animations we were told about for this years release.

All in all I think the game is an improvement on last year's version and the more I play it, the more I enjoy it (as long as I'm winning :)

I like the increased feeling of being more able to effect the outcome of a match by putting to use your assistant's suggestions whereas in previous versions I've just shrugged them off.

I guess I just want to see more from the graphics ME side of things. I'm running the game on the highest graphical settings and the highest frame-rate etc...all my drivers are uptodate so I know that's not the issue.

Just hoping come Friday the game will look a little prettier :)

I find a lot of reasons for rejecting a transfer or a loan are still lacking, I often reject loans because the club's division is too low for the player's level, or a transfer because I have a player I loaned to the same club at the same position and I don't want to block his development.

No fix for league history, league games not adding to managers' history.

Now, there may have been a fix for crosses, but now I see long through balls completely destroying defences. My team plays possession football and few long balls, but now my defence clears by playing through balls to the strikers. Which is every manager's dream, but WTF?

Can I just reiterate this what tomasj said in the bold text, no league history in club's history screen. Also when this is fixed will it be fixed for all current save games or only newly started ones as this would be a real pain given I've started my main save?

Is this being fixed, SI?

I'm happy to see the player reactions to the ball being fixed. As since the patch to the beta, my only real complaints have been regarding players like Neymar or Ronaldo, somehow forgetting to move with the ball at their feet. They seem to start running then have to turn back for the ball. They're also completely unable to ever beat a man.

I've also noticed that the shooting is frankly woeful at least 80% of the time, and far too many times do my players stop, turn the backs to goal, and just stand with the ball waiting to be tackled. Oh and can we get rid of the "we've seen <player> getting skinned too many times today" & "<opposition player> is getting too much space, we should shut him down" They're annoying when you've asked the game to do that, yet it does not comply at all.

I am now in my 4th season with Man Utd, finished 5th the first season, winner the next two, and so far I'm halfway through the 4th, 2nd in the league. It's a good challenge this year but I feel like I'm battling the match engine, not using it to win. I've also won the Champions League 3 times in a row, while I've only one the league and challenge cups on my 3rd season. It's too easy to lose to teams like Norwich, while smashing Juventus a few weeks earlier with similar tactics. My 4-4-1-1 seems to work in most games though

I am reporting this as feedback initially, to get some confirmation as a bug.

I have some facepacks installed. I realise that these are not part of the SI package, and therefore it is nothing against SI if they don't work properly.

However they do work properly.

Except now that I am a national under 21 manager. When I am on the matchday squad selection day for an under21 international, if I click on a player there they come up without a face, even if they have one which works properly all the rest of the time. I wonder if it is something to do with the coding that makes their bar at the top come up orange (I am the Netherlands u21 manager) which also overrides their face. Regens faces still come up. I didn't think of trying it with a player whose face came automatically with the game, but will do so tonight

I'm unsure if this is a bug or not but I play FM on a laptop and the skin doesn't fit the boxes or cells in the game it isnt a major issue but I don't feel the game looks as good as it could with the colours overlapping columns etc

So after many years of lurking a game version has finally pissed me off enough to make an account and post here. First off, not trying to sound like an entitled douche but I've been playing FM for as long as i can remember, even though i bought FM 12 late i have over 300 hours of it logged on steam, so i like to think i know what I'm doing yeah? Started an arsenal save(usually start with a league 1 side, but hey its beta, might as well manage my favourite club) decent team, little improvements needed here and there, bought Jesus Navas, Takagi and Bender, should be good enough right? WRONG! lost against arsenal reserves in pre-season, put that down to team gelling, lost to Lille, same thing. Losing to Guanghzhou, now that's what started to **** me off, I play a 4-1-4-1 formation, pretty standard right? Short passing, creative freedom high enough, you know? The team doesn't listen to me, the goalkeeper even after reducing his creative freedom and passing to its minimum, thumps it forward, like my short arsenal players have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the ball.

Lost three games on the trot in the league, tweaked formation some more, won against dinamo in the champo 3-0, things getting better right? WRONG! Drew to Norwich and Qpr. Seething with rage i take on west ham, 20 shots on goal, 4 on target. "Hey Blueflash, turn down the long shooting!" is what you're gonna say right? It's never been above rarely for all but one of my players. 0-0 80th minute, Guy Demel picks up the ball, runs past Vermaelen on the left and somehow scores from 40 yards from a crosshot(?), I take that on the chin and keep playing, 2 minutes later, Matt Jarvis picks up the ball and curls it in from 35 yards, one shot, one on target, i'm down 2-0 to west ham, at this point, i turn off the game, uninstall FM 13 from my steam apps and wait for the January patch once again. Rant done, I'm going to bed.

u are playing one save, having a few bad results , see a few lucky goals and decide to uninstall FM ??

I am reporting this as feedback initially, to get some confirmation as a bug.

I have some facepacks installed. I realise that these are not part of the SI package, and therefore it is nothing against SI if they don't work properly.

However they do work properly.

Except now that I am a national under 21 manager. When I am on the matchday squad selection day for an under21 international, if I click on a player there they come up without a face, even if they have one which works properly all the rest of the time. I wonder if it is something to do with the coding that makes their bar at the top come up orange (I am the Netherlands u21 manager) which also overrides their face. Regens faces still come up. I didn't think of trying it with a player whose face came automatically with the game, but will do so tonight

It's not a bug and it only applies to the Dutch national teams, it's due to licensing again. Similar to how there are no real players in the Germany team.

I'm not having any speed issues at all on my mac. The game processes really quickly.

The only real lag I see is going to 01/07 and 01/01 when all the transfers happen and my inbox is filled. This takes much longer than 2012 but overall speed is good. That's with a fair few leagues running and a large DB.

Pc Performance 5*

34 Leagues - Fm 12 & Fm 13

Players loaded Fm 12 93,000 Fm 13 91,000

Game start = 1 * rating for both

1 month holiday - No Job

Fm 12 = 8 mins 30 seconds

Fm 13 = 21 mins 55 seconds

Fm 13 PC: 326362 beta update = 20 mins 33 seconds - not the improvment I was looking for.

Thats more than double the time.

I really hope this is not the case for the full game. May aswell stick to FM 12

• Administrators
Pc Performance 5*

34 Leagues - Fm 12 & Fm 13

Players loaded Fm 12 93,000 Fm 13 91,000

Game start = 1 * rating for both

1 month holiday - No Job

Fm 12 = 8 mins 30 seconds

Fm 13 = 21 mins 55 seconds

Fm 13 PC: 326362 beta update = 20 mins 33 seconds - not the improvment I was looking for.

Thats more than double the time.

I really hope this is not the case for the full game. May aswell stick to FM 12

Jonfun, you've raised this on the tech forums for which I've already said it's something that's being looked into, please if you're going to post this elsewhere at least acknowledge the fact we've already said we're aware of it and looking into it. Thanks.

I'm mentioning this problem everywhere on the forums, but SI ignores it by saying it must be our PC's...

The best part is the fact that some funny guys say it's faster than FM12

No they don't they've said (many times) it's being investigated, but don't let the truth get in the way of your mini rant :)

This isn't a bug or anything more of a question. Why is the Man of the Match no longer called 'Man of the Match' and why are they called 'Player of the Match'? On the season statistics the column is for PoM instead of MoM.
Because of the licencing issues.

Licencing issue? Surely the phrase "man of the match" hasn't been copyrighted!? OK, the world has gone mad: http://eddykimani.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/ek-use-man-of-the-match-phrase-at-your-own-risk/

Finally got to sit down with the Beta last night.

Very impressed with the game - I really like the development lists, transfer targets, etc. I think that is an excellent inclusion to the game.

The only thing I don't like about it is that when you go to add a player to a list it jumps to that screen - wish it was just a little pop up box where you can set the min asking price, etc. and then confirm it and it brings you back to the screen you were on.

It's only a small thing, but got annoyed having to flick back forth between screens - especially when I was browsing heavily for new talent.

And the other thing - I really thought SI looked into this - they video blogged about it - it's still far too easy to sign lots of players using the 48 month transfer exploit.

It's not an exploit.

Hahaha +3 for that one! I took my FM12 fav tactic and thought it would just slot into FM13 perfectly, took a good month of changing and tweaking before it worked, funnily its now probably more realistic than it was before!

Until FM14 comes out and you suddenly realise that your tactic was exploiting FM13. ;)

Ok, last night i posted some stats before and after the beta patch, saying that, after installing it, it was almost impossible for my team to win despite having possession and more shots in almost every game.

After seeing the advice wwfan gave to someone else, i started tweaking my tactics, instead of trying other formations. Kept the 4-4-2, changed my forward from poacher to deep lying forward in order to link my midfield to the attack. Since i already had a deep lying playmaker, i changed my ball winning MC from defend to support. Result was that my MCs started keeping a higher line and pressing more, instead of falling back near the edge of my box and leaving space to the opponents. I also noticed that my ball winning MC was set to man marking which obviously had to change.

I also made some minor changes to the instructions for my full backs. The result was 3 wins in 3 games.

Btw i have 38 leagues, around 90,000 players loaded but no speed issues or any complains about processing.

Its nice that my game problems have not been fixed and you have closed my thread in the bugs forum. I have been playing your games since the first one with fake players on the Amiga. I am a loyal customer that buys this game every year. This is how you treat me. Tell me off because I point facts out to people in a thread they read that could stop people from buying the game. You have said you are looking into the problem but you have not said anything along the lines in what it could be.

• Administrators
Its nice that my game problems have not been fixed and you have closed my thread in the bugs forum. I have been playing your games since the first one with fake players on the Amiga. I am a loyal customer that buys this game every year. This is how you treat me. Tell me off because I point facts out to people in a thread they read that could stop people from buying the game. You have said you are looking into the problem but you have not said anything along the lines in what it could be.

Five times I've told you in that thread we're looking into it. There is a slowdown issue we're looking into. I closed your thread as you kept asking for updates, we can't update every single post for every single issue. Please show a little bit of patience. Thanks.

ok

A few bits of (hopefully) constructive feedback on the ME

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I like the new ME. It's taken some getting used to compared to FM12 but the initial signs are very encouraging.

Having watched 3 or 4 games on "full match" there are a few issues with the engine.

Ball Physics

Without exception, when the ball bounces it gathers an unnatural amount momentum - this goes for short passes as well as long balls.

Pressing

IMO this works well in general. Players close down when asked when the opposition has possession (this goes for both the user and AI). Where it falls down is when the ball is loose or a pass is attempted that is poorly executed, resulting in what should be at least a 60-40 or 50-50 situation. More often than not the nearest "defending" players will routinely ignore the ball when they should at least be attempting an interception of some sort.

Also, very occasionally, when a through ball is played a central defender will make a mad dash up the pitch (rather than attacking the ball) leaving the attacker with a free run on goal. This is possibly just the DC making a complete arse of the offside trap - they do however travel a very long way up the pitch before turning to (rather optimistically) chase the striker.

Offsides

There have been a couple of disallowed goals that have not implemented the offside rule correctly - the "confirmation lines" on the replay showing "offside" when in fact the player was clearly onside.

Phase 1

Player A is offside and not interfering with play (offside given here on replay)

Player B passes to player C (who is onside)

Phase 2

Player C passes to player A (now very much onside) who scores.

Unfortunately I don't have the pkm as I had a crash immediately after the game.

This isn't to be confused with refereeing errors which have seen good goals chopped off with the "confirmation lines" in the correct place. I hope that makes sense!

Goalkeepers

Gives me palpitations every time a high ball comes into the box!

Often dive very early on shots at close range.

I still can't get ronaldo to stop getting too many yellow cards for diving. Just seen on the 'liverpool database issues' thread that someone is having the same problem with suarez (9 in 14 games!). Please please look into this. It's a real issue and one that might be hard to notice.

ps; see my previous post for more

• SI Staff
I still can't get ronaldo to stop getting too many yellow cards for diving. Just seen on the 'liverpool database issues' thread that someone is having the same problem with suarez (9 in 14 games!). Please please look into this. It's a real issue and one that might be hard to notice.

ps; see my previous post for more

Is this an ironic post? Hats off if so :-)

Really good post, simply put I've seen this ME play football that fm2012 can’t get anywhere near, yes some of the bugs are very infuriating but most of it is excellent and some bits are sublime, if the bugs get sorted it will blow all the earlier games away.

I was getting a bit worried about games against bigger clubs after my Luton town team played Tottenham in the FA cup and won, then beat Aldershot in the next round, no real surprise, then we beat Millwall 4-0 fortunately I’d saved the game just before, so reloaded it and replayed it several times I lost every time so the 4-0 was just a fluke win.

Is this an ironic post? Hats off if so :-)

There is no doubt that these players are olympic quality divers but they get caught way too often in FM13. How many times has saurez seen yellow for diving this season? He didn't even get a yellow for a blatant dive vs stoke. The ref has to be 100% sure as a yellow equals accusing the player of cheating. I really think it's an issue. Compare the FM13 stats to real life for yourself

Setting any players CF to a minimum is asking for trouble.

From the above, I'd suggest that this is what you are doing wrong:

You have all your advanced players on an Attacking duty, but have your central midfield sitting very deep. This will result in a degree of disconnect between your strata. To fix this, I'd suggest that you make sure one of your FBs (probably the one behind Carzorla) is a WB/Attack, as this will encourage him to overlap. You also need an FC in a support role, as the attack roles will detach them from the DLP, who will be so deep he cannot feed them. A fluid philosophy will actually contribute to the problem, as by default it detaches the defence from the attack somewhat. A balanced or very fluid philosophy would reduce this detachment.

I'd also be wary about increasing the tempo, as the standard strategy doesn't open up the required space. A quick tempo will mean that players are having to interchange quick passes in a relatively small area, which will result in a lot of mistakes, especially if the tactic isn't gelled. If you have shortened passing, this will be even more problematic. The quick passes in tight spaces and the disconnect between attack and midfield will result in players getting trapped in final third positions with nobody to pass to and shooting wildly.

Tried out your suggestion, remarkable improvement observed, thanks. Still a lot of glaring

bugs though, i think i've worn my voice hoarse screaming at Sirchesney to pass it short.

• Administrators

I'd suggest people who only recieved a beta code initially and not the main activation code read this for clarification on how to update your game to the full version come release - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/323815-Important-Information-for-those-who-have-Pre-Ordered-NOT-through-Steam-Full-Game-Activation

Yes, to clarify the fixes I posted are for the next update which will of course be the release version.

Beta has been fantastic for us this year, despite the rantings of a small minority. We'd be in a bit of a mess for release day without it; I am under no illusions as to how rough around the edges the ME was when beta first came out. But a beta is a beta and I am sure 99% of you understood that there would be issues and hopefully we have solved the worst of them! That was always the plan anyway ;)

I also intend to do a fairly quick post release ME update in the first month or so once we've had a chance to recharge some batteries and take stock of what improvements we can make in that time frame.

Glad the beta has been a success, certainly one of the better ideas to come out of SI towers in recent years. Overall I've not had as much fund with a release of Fm in years, especially with a bog standard dodgy and biased database. Which leads me to my only concern, the editor. There has been far too much skirting around any questions about it which has me worried as its a vital tool for the longevity of the game, without it I'd be done almost already before the game comes out. Is it coming out? We are not expected to pay extra for it? Questions similar have been asked but never answered, hope I'm just being paranoid.

• Administrators

Made a right hash of that announcement, have updated it.

If you pre-ordered and paid and the email states it's the 'full' version, it WILL update automatically come 00:01am. In trying to stop confusion I may have created a bit more - sorry about that :D:(

(Have deleted a few posts in here as they'd only add to the confusion - thanks for posting as you made me double check!)

Which leads me to my only concern, the editor. There has been far too much skirting around any questions about it which has me worried as its a vital tool for the longevity of the game, without it I'd be done almost already before the game comes out. Is it coming out? We are not expected to pay extra for it? Questions similar have been asked but never answered, hope I'm just being paranoid.

No skirting as far as I'm aware, it was just not included in the Beta (as with Network play) but will be included on Friday at no extra cost.

After all this time I think I can finally honestly say that the new UI, while looking pretty, is actually less functionally convenient that the old. Since I know SI doesn't care won't change anything, I'll just quickly note some things:

1. The infamous match report when clicking a result

2. No restart scout assignment button (and overall poor assignment UI, I had hopes it would be reworked when talking about new UI)

3. When you are viewing a player there is no indication where he is currently playing - competition and nation. In previous version that was in the bottom 15px bar. Now it is hidden in the top search menu, which requires a lot of clicks, scrolling and is obtrusive.

4. The match stats widget is unnecessarily large (borders and buttons) and doesn't have the graphical representation from previous games (the checkbox in prefs is only for the split view screen, not widget).

5. In players stats it is impossible to follow the row - https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kmd791ithw92akj/Braintree%20v%20Boreham%20Wood_%20Stats%20Away%20Stats.png

The only positive thing is that I love the split view, but number 3 trumps everything for me

Archived