Final: Argentina vs France, 3PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

Darius1998

These people are just mad about football and regardless of if you like some of the players or not, they deserve this after 36 years of disappointment. This doesn't happen anywhere in Europe anymore, sadly.

https://i.imgur.com/9SS2xGd.jpg

Kind of ridiculous Milan has only 9 winners and Roma has 18.

Edited by GunmaN1905

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, skybluedave said:

These awards are always silly. Always subjective. The only one that really counts is the Fair Play Trophy tbf

Nah, 'lack of grit' consolation prize for also took part teams tbh ;) 

Messi’s second of the game, 108 minutes in, restored Argentina’s advantage with Cristian Romero provocatively roaring his celebration in Mbappe’s face. As it transpired, and while there were no protests at the time, that goal should technically not have stood as two of the South Americans’ substitutes were encroaching on the pitch on the far side as Jules Kounde desperately tried to hack the forward’s attempt from the goal line. The subs had spilled on in anticipation of Lautaro Martinez’s initial shot finding the back of the net, only for Lloris to palm it out for Messi to convert. 

L’Equipe would quote law three, paragraph nine of the Laws of the Game in their morning edition, stating that if, “after a goal is scored, the referee realises, before play restarts, an extra person — a player, substitute, substituted player — was on the field of play when the goal was scored then the referee must disallow the goal”. Yet no one alerted referee Marciniak and he remained blissfully unaware of the encroachment.

Screenshot-2022-12-19-at-16.40.40.png

Emi Martinez is definitely an example of a late bloomer, only making 15 appearances in 8 years at Arsenal before becoming a regular at Aston Villa at the age of 28, and only making his Argentina debut in 2021 at 29. Or did his 8 years going out on loan to various EFL clubs from Arsenal hold him back?

31 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Emi Martinez is definitely an example of a late bloomer, only making 15 appearances in 8 years at Arsenal before becoming a regular at Aston Villa at the age of 28, and only making his Argentina debut in 2021 at 29. Or did his 8 years going out on loan to various EFL clubs from Arsenal hold him back?

Haven't Villa fans been complaining about him recently? He had a good first season with them but he's never given the impression he's a top class keeper. Just seems to raise his game for Argentina.

Just now, Weezer said:

Haven't Villa fans been complaining about him recently? He had a good first season with them but he's never given the impression he's a top class keeper. Just seems to raise his game for Argentina.

Cech's arrival didn't do him any good though

1 hour ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Messi’s second of the game, 108 minutes in, restored Argentina’s advantage with Cristian Romero provocatively roaring his celebration in Mbappe’s face. As it transpired, and while there were no protests at the time, that goal should technically not have stood as two of the South Americans’ substitutes were encroaching on the pitch on the far side as Jules Kounde desperately tried to hack the forward’s attempt from the goal line. The subs had spilled on in anticipation of Lautaro Martinez’s initial shot finding the back of the net, only for Lloris to palm it out for Messi to convert. 

L’Equipe would quote law three, paragraph nine of the Laws of the Game in their morning edition, stating that if, “after a goal is scored, the referee realises, before play restarts, an extra person — a player, substitute, substituted player — was on the field of play when the goal was scored then the referee must disallow the goal”. Yet no one alerted referee Marciniak and he remained blissfully unaware of the encroachment.

This is the sort of thing Yuko or gunman post and then tell us the referee was biased against their team  Incredible that it's coming from a huge publication like L'Equipe

8 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Sorry, I forgot it as the penalty situation was similar, outplayed Upamecano both times.

Making you wonder, why isn't one of the best strikers utilized better instead of having to be some kind of secondary playmaker in midfielder?

Harsh. 

4 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Anecdotal, but when I played we fell victim to this exact situation, but the injustice was worse. We scored, and then because the other team had an extra person in the field of play it got chalked off.

We were livid. :D

5 hours ago, Weezer said:

I think he's a decent keeper and nothing more. Look at the goals he let in, got a hand to both Saudi goals (IIRC) and Mbappe's second, yet he let them all in.

Our fanbase is bigging him up to ridiculous levels after winning the WC though. Saying it'll take around 100m to prize him away and that he's undoubtedly world class. Laughable and a little cringe.

Edited by Baptista_8

It will be interesting now to see how some of the Argentine players fair in the coming weeks, mostly in the Prem. 

Will the likes of Martinez etc be back for games over Christmas/New Year, or will clubs allow them a nice bit of time off. Because it’s going to be hard psychologically go from 4 weeks of draining games ending on a high, to then following week pick yourself up for a meh domestic league/cup game.

Not like previous tournaments where you get few weeks break, then few weeks to ease back in (unless the clubs grant that time). 

16 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Argentina drew 2-2 in normal time against France.

England lost 2-1 in normal time against France, with a Kane missed penalty.

Yeah - MASSIVE difference there :rolleyes:

Edit: The quote seems to have screwed up, that was the "Argentina showed England how to play against France" quote.

Edited by m_fenton

Took the job when either no one else wanted it and the FA couldn't afford a foreign manager. Loads of people thought he was destined to fail as well, including Maradona, if I remember correctly.

To go from there to Copa America and World Cup winners with their best players either retiring or past their peaks is very special.

15 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Does anybody anywhere genuinely want any goal to be disallowed for that? The rule makes sense as you don't want subs running around on the pitch and what have you, but seriously it's a couple of subs one or two steps on the pitch about a million miles away from any action. It should definitely be a rule where discretion is applied as it was here.

L'Equipe have been utterly embarrassing in the aftermath of this game.

23 hours ago, Divinity said:

Anecdotal, but when I played we fell victim to this exact situation, but the injustice was worse. We scored, and then because the other team had an extra person in the field of play it got chalked off.

We were livid. :D

I hope you made sure someone from your bench ran on the pitch every time the opposition attacked after that :D 

11 hours ago, VamPook said:

Lautaro not only almost ruining Messi's world cup on the pitch 

Had to ruin an iconic photo as well 

FB_IMG_1671544388118.jpg

I think it's quite fitting that the GOAT footballer gets a mini Lautaro as a hat :D 

8 hours ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Same Mbappe that scored 4 times against him. Clearly a very good goalkeeper but his arrogance is mindblowing at this point.

i dont think its arrogance, i think its just good old fashioned trolling 

i think all the people reacting are forgetting what football culture is like in argentina, everyone loves the passion because you get the extremities of that both sides. extreme passion. extreme toxicity. 

1 minute ago, iamjerome said:

i think all the people reacting are forgetting what football culture is like in argentina, everyone loves the passion because you get the extremities of that both sides. extreme passion. extreme toxicity. 

Tell you one thing, I bet they absolutely adore him

On 21/12/2022 at 09:25, iamjerome said:

I enjoy ********* players and culture but there has to be some level of self-awareness and I think you look a bit of a tit trying to mock the guy that almost dragged his side to a second world cup win with a hat trick in a World Cup final.

He possibly just produced the greatest save of all time but all he’s making anyone talk about is his cringe antics :D