*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dotsworthy said:

MLS teams also struggle with squad selection. I've seen an MLS teams spend most of their budget on great players and waiver them after 4 weeks because they can't manage international slots. It can become quite easy to poach all the good talent.

The way MLS transfers happen in the game, clubs make record signings only to waive them after the roster registration date. 

Got my DOF to negotiate a new contract for my very exciting up and coming young striker, he's on £400pw and he's managed to get him to sign a new 2 year deal for £300pw, wtf how can that be, he's not far away from the 1st team and there's no way he's accept less money, something not right here.

Finding this ME incredibly frustrating. I'm winning games but it's not enjoyable.

The most average of players can still clip a ball over the top of a defence with sniper-like precision. If that fails, a good goalkeeper mistake or a set piece goal. It's the same stuff, over and over again. Throw in the missed penalties, poor striker ratings, fatigue and it feels like a grind.

Edited by stevemc

8 hours ago, jc1 said:

Got my DOF to negotiate a new contract for my very exciting up and coming young striker, he's on £400pw and he's managed to get him to sign a new 2 year deal for £300pw, wtf how can that be, he's not far away from the 1st team and there's no way he's accept less money, something not right here.

What's you DOF's negotiating skill?

On 19/03/2023 at 00:15, eren39 said:

image.png.a0c89ef5775699946c49a384315746f5.png

I just come here to say that it breaks a lot my immersion the overpower of English football in the game. Here, 11/14 CL won by 6 different English teams. This has been happening since old FMs, but it clearly does not match the reality of the last years (2/10 or 3/11 last CL won by English teams). I certainly do not know if this is something that may occur in the future, but I strongly doubt it (even though I think the PL faces a much brighter future than, for example, the Spanish league). So SI, I understand you are an English company and you like English football and probably are more familiar with English football than with other leagues, but come on

Edited by el_manayer

I just hope the number one priority for FM 24 is dribbling and ball control....

It's such a shame dribbling does not exist properly in the match engine....and by dribbling I don't mean running past players I mean starring a run then stopping, turning with the ball, doing tricks etc...trying to duel a defender one on one with both players facing each other to see who makes a move first in that split second..

In football manager when a player runs towards a defender he either runs away wide ( to pass him ) or the defender tackles....there is no running back from the defender, no duel he immediately either engages or is ran past by...

Dribbling is always towards opposition defenders, the best players always go down the middle....in FM dribbling is only wide and always into space, never into opposition players..

21 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

I just hope the number one priority for FM 24 is dribbling and ball control....

It's such a shame dribbling does not exist properly in the match engine....and by dribbling I don't mean running past players I mean starring a run then stopping, turning with the ball, doing tricks etc...trying to duel a defender one on one with both players facing each other to see who makes a move first in that split second..

In football manager when a player runs towards a defender he either runs away wide ( to pass him ) or the defender tackles....there is no running back from the defender, no duel he immediately either engages or is ran past by...

Dribbling is always towards opposition defenders, the best players always go down the middle....in FM dribbling is only wide and always into space, never into opposition players..

Very much agree, up until now dribbling in FM has been about speed and beating your opponent with a "fancy dribble" that comes up as a relay message at the bottom of the screen. and that was it. Even a player with a 19 dribbling ability on his stats never saw any dribbling in the match engine. 
I think dribbling implementation should be a top priority in FM24, and I look forward to seeing dribbling from both wingers and central midfielders. 

Can't argue with that, players always dribble into space away from defenders and very rarely directly at a defender to beat them with skill. Quite often it looks like the player on the ball is scared of the opposition. The game has traits such as "Tries Tricks" and "Likes to beat opponent repeatably" , I'd like to see more use of those in the ME from the flair players  

5 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

What's you DOF's negotiating skill?

Obviously brilliant to get him to accept £100 less per week and an extra year, it's just not realistic and would never happen. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Can't argue with that, players always dribble into space away from defenders and very rarely directly at a defender to beat them with skill. Quite often it looks like the player on the ball is scared of the opposition. The game has traits such as "Tries Tricks" and "Likes to beat opponent repeatably" , I'd like to see more use of those in the ME from the flair players  

Interesting, I feel like the majority of dribbles I see go straight into the defender, lose the ball and you get countered. That even seems to happen regularly to players with 18+ dribbling skills. But I totally agree that you rarely ever see a player beat another with a dribbling in a narrow space.

2 hours ago, el_manayer said:

I just come here to say that it breaks a lot my immersion the overpower of English football in the game. Here, 11/14 CL won by 6 different English teams. This has been happening since old FMs, but it clearly does not match the reality of the last years (2/10 or 3/11 last CL won by English teams). I certainly do not know if this is something that may occur in the future, but I strongly doubt it (even though I think the PL faces a much brighter future than, for example, the Spanish league). So SI, I understand you are an English company and you like English football and probably are more familiar with English football than with other leagues, but come on

I think it's a money problem, in FM the best foreign teams never seem to be able to stay competitive. I don't think I have seen Bayern in more than one semi final in the 8 seasons my save game is running, Barca and Real usually go out early as well. Itlian clubs seem to do somewhat better but usually in the semi final it's like 2-4 English teams in recent season it seems.

2 hours ago, Flohrinho said:

Interesting, I feel like the majority of dribbles I see go straight into the defender, lose the ball and you get countered. That even seems to happen regularly to players with 18+ dribbling skills. But I totally agree that you rarely ever see a player beat another with a dribbling in a narrow space.

It depends on where the dribble happens. I agree that attempted dribbles tend to result in a loss of the ball in the first 2/3rds of the pitch, but once you get to the attacking 3rd it's pretty clear that taking a man on is lava.

Wide players on attacking duties are particularly bad about it. Receive ball -> get shown outside and make a dash for the byline -> stand on the ball and lollygag until you get tackled happens 20+ times per game against underdogs that pack the box. The IFs/IWs is actually more willing to take a man on directly than their attack duty counterparts, presumably because they tend to receive the ball deeper on the pitch.

Once wide players are level with the top of the box it's like they can smell that bloody byline and neither man nor beast is going to keep them from it.

1 hour ago, ajw10 said:

Has anyone else noticed this weird bug where the Emirates Stadium changes to the Arsenal Stadium only to change back again?

if its arsenal stadium in european games think i read its to do with not having the licence for stadiums with sponsorship naming rights

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, ajw10 said:

Has anyone else noticed this weird bug where the Emirates Stadium changes to the Arsenal Stadium only to change back again?

I mean this happens IRL, on UEFA matchdays it is known as the "Arsenal Stadium"

52 minutes ago, EdL said:

I mean this happens IRL, on UEFA matchdays it is known as the "Arsenal Stadium"

never realised or new that as they say you learn somthing new every day 👍

• SI Staff
37 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

yeah but it doesn't just do it for Europe, it randomly does it for league matches too

If you have a save where it happens please log it, but I'm not aware of a known issue on it.

13 hours ago, jc1 said:

Obviously brilliant to get him to accept £100 less per week and an extra year, it's just not realistic and would never happen. 

Higher matchday appearance fees, goal bonus, things like that perhaps?

So, the way it works seems to be, FM really does not want you to rotate players and will do everything to punish you (anyone who isn't a regular starter or better wants to leave for more playing time even though they're getting 36 games or more a season).  But, if you don't rotate, and you're playing in Brazil for example where sometimes 3 matches happen in one week, you will get highly fatigued and injured players almost non-stop?  Are we saying that IRL, players want to play every game back to back and want to be out for 6 weeks a season with injuries?

A question on this actually, how many starts does one need to be considered a "regular starter"?  Is that the same as "Important Player"?  Why don't you get credit for starting them in really important Cup matches when you actually need your best players?

4 hours ago, chemik said:

So, the way it works seems to be, FM really does not want you to rotate players and will do everything to punish you (anyone who isn't a regular starter or better wants to leave for more playing time even though they're getting 36 games or more a season).  But, if you don't rotate, and you're playing in Brazil for example where sometimes 3 matches happen in one week, you will get highly fatigued and injured players almost non-stop?  Are we saying that IRL, players want to play every game back to back and want to be out for 6 weeks a season with injuries?

A question on this actually, how many starts does one need to be considered a "regular starter"?  Is that the same as "Important Player"?  Why don't you get credit for starting them in really important Cup matches when you actually need your best players?

IIRC it's 75% of league games started.  Not from the bench....started.  Never, ever promise players playing time.  Always go for squad player every time unless it's someone you really, really want to keep and have no option to keep him.

14 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

IIRC it's 75% of league games started.  Not from the bench....started.  Never, ever promise players playing time.  Always go for squad player every time unless it's someone you really, really want to keep and have no option to keep him.

So I went with this idea until I realized that the reason every team was coming in and unsettling and signing my well established players was because they were designated as squad players.  The AI knows to send teams after your guys if you aren't giving them regular or important player status when they are highly rated by the game.

Playing time promises is a wicked trap by the designers.  They don't want you having a satisfied team of really good players.  I get it, kind of.  The fun and addiction of the game does come from the constant battle to keep your roster in tact, give opportunities to youth, or hit the market trying to find someone to replace that really awesome player that some team inexplicably met the obscene release clause you built into the contract that was millions over their actual value.

On 17/03/2023 at 17:22, Gilberto Silva said:

Ok, so a player came to me demanding a new contract but my wage budget doesn't allow me to pay him what he wants. 

Why is there not an option to explain this in the following interactions with the individual player plus when having a team meeting with the squad? None of the options I can select explain that we don't have the funds, it's baffling.

FM interactions in a nutshell: you are presented a wealth of irrelevant options to choose from, and all of them resulting in a *********.

1 hour ago, molsen said:

FM interactions in a nutshell: you are presented a wealth of irrelevant options to choose from, and all of them resulting in a *********.

One of them is literally "the club cannot afford to offer you a new deal"....

On 18/03/2023 at 00:36, warlock said:

There can be. I do think it's something that changed in the FM23 match engine - in previous versions I played almost every match on 'positive' mentality but this year it soon became obvious that my sides were generating too many poor shots on goal. So this year I've played almost every game on 'balanced', and even then it seemed we were too attacking. So I've started adding 'shoot less often' to the worst culprits. B2B and other midfielders are the worst offenders.

I used to have a rule of thumb for a successful game: about 10-15 shots on goal; 7-10 shots on target; 1-3 goals per game. Actually, that's still my rule - it just seems like it's harder to achieve this year. FM23 seems to generate upwards of 15 shots on goal but only 3-5 of those on target. It's one of the obvious 'red flags' in most ME complaints now: I had 30 shots on goal but lost 0-1, How is that possible???? Well, because you're generating a lot of really poor chances, duh! And it seems to be inherent in the ME - I've seen the same in saves with Darlington and Man Utd, so I don't think it's related to player-quality or level of football.

My conclusion? It's easy to generate a lot of poor chances; we need to work at creating fewer, better-quality chances.

Yh but how? If you’re set to a slow build up, work ball into box, no counter attacking, and PIs of don’t shoot…what you got left in your locker???

9 hours ago, chemik said:

Yh it’s one of their new things for 23. Fatigue everyone! I guess it’s designed to make you think about selection more but it’s not realistic. CBs don’t get shattered IRL…maybe mentally but not physically. Some super fit players on my team are in need of a rest 2 months into season. All a bit silly. Which sums up 23 IMO. silly balls over top of deep lying defences, silly fatigue issues and absurd mistakes made by world class defenders. 

can’t blame SI for trying to jazz things up but not enjoying this anymore.

1 hour ago, SimonHoddle said:

what you got left in your locker???

Everything I need. This from a new save I started with Brentford on Sunday:

image.png.c70cd079955fc52542d68fa1e1391314.png

Not really struggling for goals, and that's before we have decent tactical familiarity.

This from my last save, with Darlington, midway through season 2 in the VNL, having won the VNN at a canter in season 1:

image.png.f4419e5988da6a7c4b6f1d42ee2512fb.png

The same basic tactic, again no problems in attack.

8 hours ago, Lempicka said:

Matchday experience is beginning to feel a bit groundhog day.

• Defender slows down or stops to allow the attacker to run though on goal.
  • Long ball over the top, defender misjudges it, forward through on goal.
  • Poor headed clearance, straight to opponent - when there's no pressure and more viable spaces to head the ball into.
  • Deflected crosses that loop up in the air and the keeper collects unchallenged.
  • Defenders skillfully pass their way out defence. Now there's loads of options on, but the ball just gets booted aimlessly up the pitch.

I'm seeing the same things at all levels and with different tactics.

Yep same here. Uninstalled and gone back to FM21. Such a pity

Wanted to start a save after the winter update which would be a short term one so I thought I'd delegate pretty much everything to my staff and just run through pre season to see if this would be a viable playstyle.

Loaded up with Red Star in France. In the 5 weeks up to the start of the season my DOF has basically done nothing with the staffing. No HOYD appointed. Had only a chief scout and one scout with room for 3 more and he didn't hire any nor did he set up any recruitment focuses. 2nd team and youth team staff are basically threadbare with the u18 squad having zero coaching staff.

I also started a short save with Roma and their starting first team coaching staff is very understaffed with only 5/14 coaches and no general category coaches apart from the assistant manager and manager. As a player I would place adverts for all the vacant positions and fill them up within 2-3 weeks. However AI controlled Roma doesn't add any staff at all despite being really understaffed.

Yes, to get the best advantage you need to take charge of most things yourself but there should be a basic viability to actually delegating these kinds of things to the AI.

15 hours ago, Lempicka said:

• Poor headed clearance, straight to opponent - when there's no pressure and more viable spaces to head the ball into.
  • Deflected crosses that loop up in the air and the keeper collects unchallenged.
  • Defenders skillfully pass their way out defence. Now there's loads of options on, but the ball just gets booted aimlessly up the pitch.

Totally agree, it's just the same thing over and over. Very frustrating, I think I'll just go back to FM22.

2 hours ago, Sundaytwist said:

Totally agree, it's just the same thing over and over. Very frustrating, I think I'll just go back to FM22.

Havnt noticed repetition.  Lots of different goals scored.  Not muchnover the top but I do play very low defence and instruct my defenders to drop back 

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Lempicka:

Honestly I don't see these things very often. Successful throughballs or long balls towards the striker I see even much less than before the update.

I'm always watching the full match.

6 hours ago, gpassosbh said:

Anyone knows if it's confirmed that will be a new main patch or just a minor one? What is the speculation date for release?

I'm not sure there even is a patch coming, just a final data update - which I hope will be within the next week or so.

7 hours ago, MatchWinner said:

I'm not sure there even is a patch coming, just a final data update - which I hope will be within the next week or so.

Patches have finished . Only a Data update remains . On towards FM24 in this ridiculous cycle

After a few weeks playing on the most recent patch update I have a few takeaways of things that I’m seeing regularly.

Set pieces in general seem to be completely nerfed, that goes for shooting too. Im seeing a lot more shots straight at the keeper and hitting the bar.

Away games are like a roulette on most levels, I feel like this was more balanced pre-patch but has always been bad IMO.

On a positive note, I’m really enjoying the wingers and fullbacks with their roles and how they play.

6 hours ago, alian62 said:

Patches have finished . Only a Data update remains . On towards FM24 in this ridiculous cycle

While you might be right, SI has never said they will do more updates or not. Please don't say this as a fact rather than what you think.