*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

And yet in my own personal save, I have a tactic using a team with a low block, lower line and high pressing and I barely ever concede goals in behind, most against coming from crosses. 

image.png

Appreciate that's what you've seen, but there tactical ways to negate giving up certain types of chances. 

So the key difference is you keep a high level of pressing. That works in the game and players should try that. But IRL deep and narrow and little pressing won’t give the opponent opportunities by balls over the top. Not enough space. FM has always struggled with this set up IMO.

it’s these idiosyncrasies which separate FM from real life football which needs to be explained much better by SI.

the only other game I play is Civilization which has a comprehensive manual (access to which doesn’t make the game easy btw).

I think we’d all like to know why in this iteration our world class defenders are passing straight to the opposition under zero pressure. It’s clearly been programmed to happen. So rather than everyone tearing their hair out it’s SIs responsibility to explain this may happen and look out for the reasons why (fatigue, poor defensive cohesion, opposition tactics etc) so we can remedy it. Or acknowledge this as a ME problem and please tell the paying punters it’s being investigated.

Edited by SimonHoddle

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, SimonHoddle said:

So the key difference is you keep a high level of pressing.

yes he is keeping the pressing intense in the low block. Teams that play a low block tend to do that, the fact that you don't engage the opposition higher up doesn't mean you don't have to press intensely when they come into your own half 

6 minutes ago, DarJ said:

yes he is keeping the pressing intense in the low block. Teams that play a low block tend to do that, the fact that you don't engage the opposition higher up doesn't mean you don't have to press intensely when they come into your own half 

That's completely fine. But if you're playing a low block and are standing off teams (a tactic as old as football itself). They shouldn't just be able to lob balls over the top with impunity, with your defenders not reading or picking anything up whilst teams slice you open like it's nothing. I've played FM for years and have never known it be this bad.

Edited by cpfcrebel

Can someone of SI  explain this. attacking corner :

- In my tactics , 4 guys defending one guy in the frontal .

- in the game , 1-2 guys defending and zero in the frontal.

I m TIRED of see the CPU Always taking the ball in my corners.

22 minutes ago, cpfcrebel said:

That's completely fine. But if you're playing a low block and are standing off teams (a tactic as old as football itself). They shouldn't just be able to lob balls over the top with impunity, with your defenders not reading or picking anything up whilst teams slice you open like it's nothing. I've played FM for years and have never known it be this bad.

Typical, teams which sit low and deep, opp. tries to stretch from flanks and deliver-cross the ball into box or shoot. Going from flanks in hope that opp. defense will be open.

Edited by fc.cadoni

17 minutes ago, ScottishFM said:

There’s been so many valid points made in the previous comments about the ME that I don’t feel the need to repeat them.

However to summarise where I’m at with the game.  I’m at the stage where even when I’m doing well, I’m not enjoying myself. The ME is so incredibly tedious this year that it’s even making winning unenjoyable. 

I’ve never went back to a previous edition before but this might be the first year I do because I just can’t continue to force myself to play with this ME. 

Was fun during beta. Wish SI had more confidence in their vision. Same every year.

4 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

Was fun during beta. Wish SI had more confidence in their vision. Same every year.

Totally agree mate, no idea why they drastically changed it. I was messaging my mate on the night the Beta being released saying it was one the of the best I'd played. Such a drastic change only a few months later, now I wouldn't even recommend people buying FM23 if they have FM22 already.

Edited by ScottishFM

2 hours ago, DarJ said:

So when wouldn’t you press intensely?

Also, the amount of games where the AI has scored two or more goals and their xG has been below 0.7 is driving me insane - lost count the amount of games across multiple saves where teams have had 3-4 shots and got 2-3 goals. Relentless with it on this ME this year. 

vor 9 Stunden schrieb fc.cadoni:

Have been replaced with Trap Inside - Trap Outside

I found that my outside defense was inadequate without the "defend cosses" setting enabled.

Also i guess trap inside means defend wide and trap outside means defend narrow?

Gakpo's deal bring up again my main problem with FM.

While summer transfer windows is open, we are stuck with an 'old' game. By the time it shuts and you want to start a save with a team after the summer changes you are still stuck.

The game comes out early November and then you are lucky to get a patch to 'fix' the game early December.

Now the January transfer window will go nuts and we will have it's DB 5-6 weeks after it shuts.

It feels to me like the game is always (at least) a month behind.

9 hours ago, ScottishFM said:

Totally agree mate, no idea why they drastically changed it. I was messaging my mate on the night the Beta being released saying it was one the of the best I'd played. Such a drastic change only a few months later, now I wouldn't even recommend people buying FM23 if they have FM22 already.

Because people complain so much about the little annotanaces that they change things to suit them without realising many are ok with it . The only issue was the over the head of the defense balls but for some reason the ME its now horrible and honestly its worse than FM22 and saying that then what was the reason for even having a release this year because noting actually improved across the whole game 

Edited by alian62

8 hours ago, Etebaer said:

I found that my outside defense was inadequate without the "defend cosses" setting enabled.

Also i guess trap inside means defend wide and trap outside means defend narrow?

Isnt it the other way around ? Trap inside (defend narrow) and trap outisde (defend wide) ?

Hello!

I'm bothered by the strange starting XI rotation by AI managers. I'm seeing things like key players being left on the bench in super important games (e.g. world cup finals) for no real reason (not injured, decent conditions).

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, ilyaf said:

Hello!

I'm bothered by the strange starting XI rotation by AI managers. I'm seeing things like key players being left on the bench in super important games (e.g. world cup finals) for no real reason (not injured, decent conditions).

Sounds like something which would be worth raising here, ideally with save game examples from the point just before strange selection issues are made - https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-bugs-tracker/753_match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

Details on how to upload save game files (although remember to please let us know the file name if you do so) here - https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/instructions-and-notes/how-to-upload-files-to-us-r98/

13 hours ago, SimonHoddle said:

So when wouldn’t you press intensely?

I press less when I play a low block and I’m more interested in denying space as opposed to winning the ball back through pressing. So in a system like this I will have tackle hard on as a team instruction or on specific players so through opposition instruction and maybe ask my wingers to mark the opposition fullback.

Another time I press less is when I see some players are to quick to go out of their position to go and press and I can’t see any other thing in the tactic that encourages that behaviour so I’ll ask that player to press less 

Am 27.12.2022 um 11:42 schrieb blejdek:

Isnt it the other way around ? Trap inside (defend narrow) and trap outisde (defend wide) ?

I guess that from the FM22 graphical application of the setting in the tactics menu where defend wide shows a channeling to the center and defend narrow shows a channeling ot the wide areas graphically via some shading of the color.

And i use stop crossing with trap inside to a very good result with good defnding of the wide areas - ofc it may also depend on the tactical shape and the player roles etc.

Edited by Etebaer

57 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

I guess that from the FM22 graphical aplication of the setting in the tactics menu where defend wide shows a channeling to the center and defend narrow shows a channeling ot the wide areas graphically via some shading of the color.

And i use stop crossing with trap inside to a very good result with good defnding of the wide areas - ofc it may also depend on the tactical shape and the player roles etc.

I get what you are saying yes. So I am really not sure which is narrow and which is wide in this context. 

I've lost count of how many times I acquire a young player via Transfer, the club accepts the bid and asks if the player can stay at that club for the rest of the season, I assume to continue his development. This is what the player wants as well. I oblige, only to see that club not play him at all. Ever. This happens ALL THE TIME. Surely I can't be the only one seeing this? 

On 27/12/2022 at 08:20, DarJ said:

I press less when I play a low block and I’m more interested in denying space as opposed to winning the ball back through pressing. So in a system like this I will have tackle hard on as a team instruction or on specific players so through opposition instruction and maybe ask my wingers to mark the opposition fullback.

Another time I press less is when I see some players are to quick to go out of their position to go and press and I can’t see any other thing in the tactic that encourages that behaviour so I’ll ask that player to press less 

How successful have you been with those tactics?  It seems like low block/limited pressing systems are the ones that people have struggled with more than anything.  I don't know because I don't have FM23, but for the last several years it's been easier to play high line/intense press systems, since so many of the drawbacks are either limited in effect (match fitness/condition/injuries; it's too easy to keep players healthy and in shape while simultaneously mega-pressing for a full season) or totally nonexistent (developmental effects on the front or back ends of the age curve).

34 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

How successful have you been with those tactics?  It seems like low block/limited pressing systems are the ones that people have struggled with more than anything.  I don't know because I don't have FM23, but for the last several years it's been easier to play high line/intense press systems, since so many of the drawbacks are either limited in effect (match fitness/condition/injuries; it's too easy to keep players healthy and in shape while simultaneously mega-pressing for a full season) or totally nonexistent (developmental effects on the front or back ends of the age curve).

I don't have enough data to say if it works or not because I don't play an entire season like that. I only do it when there are important games I don't want to lose and in those few games they do what I expect 

On 26/12/2022 at 17:30, kingjericho said:

Think of this as a rule of thumb. 

Do you want to play a direct, wing play, kick and rush style? High mentality 

Do you want to play tiki taka, short passing looking for an opening, no long shots, build from the back? Low mentality 

Here is the clips about tempo.Maybe he's right.

https://youtu.be/36KjMZy_Alc

image.thumb.jpeg.eb8b2e055d16e391c57764282ac5a51b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8bd255e2dd99c3d47dffc971747998fa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d1de60c2a493b648bb88ab9bbdc919cc.jpeg

On 13/05/2020 at 00:53, Jack Joyce said:

@ScoreMore (Mico)

Think of Tempo as "how hard do I want my team to try and force the issue?". As Rashidi says above, lower tempo will mean your team are more patient when they get into the opposition's half and wait for a better opportunity. Higher tempo can lead to more rushed shots/killer balls as your players look to build attacks quicker to unsettle defences.

• Low tempo - patiently wait for an opening in the opposition defence then exploit it.
  • High tempo - try and force an opening with quick attacks that look to get at the opposition defence before they've had a chance to regain shape, or to ask more questions of them.

If you find that you're racking up a lot of shots against defensive sides without creating many actual good chances, that's usually a sign that your tempo is too high.

There's crossover here with how your team reacts in a transition, teams that look to counter will play with a high tempo in the transition in order to try and capitalise on the opposition being out of shape. This effect however is temporary and only happens in certain situations shortly after a turnover in possession.

In terms of dribbling, there's many factors that come in to a dribbling decision specifically. But in certain cases it could be possible that it leads to more, for example imagine a low-vision wide player that can't see a good passing option quickly. To avoid slowing down the tempo of your team's play they may look to take on their man. It's very situational based on attributes, PPMs and the position of teammates, but generally you're asking your players to make decisions quickly which can lead to more low % shots or dribbles if the player in question doesn't have great decision-making or vision.

image.jpeg

Edited by Aoyao

Why is there no Discuss tab option if you're managing International teams? There should be some way to talk to the older players and let them know they're not in your plans going forward after a World Cup cycle.  It's better than announcing the upcoming squad for the next International break and having them come to you asking why they've been dropped. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, rp1966 said:

How broken are interactions in FM23?  This broken ...

image.png.de464b2aab2c0f7b5f33241412c624e1.png

This question was asked in the pregame press conference before my first game of the 2026/7 season ... against Norwich.  The question itself relates to the final game of the previous season against already relegated Blackburn.

The next question correctly referenced Norwich. But this is par for the course this year - last season I had multiple Qs about relegation when I was just outside the European spots.

Would be worth raising this via the bug tracker with a save game from just beforehand so the team can investigate further. Tracker here - https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-bugs-tracker/dynamics-interactions-press-conferences-club-vision-supporter-confidence-staff-appointments-meetings/

Save game upload details here - https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/instructions-and-notes/how-to-upload-files-to-us-r98/

Appears that the question was held over from the end of last season due to the ongoing narrative. 

Thanks. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Why is there no Discuss tab option if you're managing International teams? There should be some way to talk to the older players and let them know they're not in your plans going forward after a World Cup cycle.  It's better than announcing the upcoming squad for the next International break and having them come to you asking why they've been dropped. 

Don't disagree and worth raising here - https://community.sigames.com/forums/forum/680-football-manager-feature-requests/

Thanks. 

One thing has always bothered me in FM.
When, following a set piece (free kick, corner or line-out), a player 'out of position' finds himself in a position that is not his, but with the ball at his feet and an excellent chance of making an important action, but instead remains stationary or even prefers to go back (typical of central defenders) and then pass the ball to the usual midfielder.
I understand that some players aren't great crossers, or don't have great finishing, but I prefer to see them soundly miss the shot / cross, than to see them come back.

48 minutes ago, Choi seung won said:

SI's match team seems to be making a match engine that is different from the soccer trend.

In modern football, the influence of both wing forwards is very strong.

If you look at major big clubs, there are many cases where both wing forwards score higher than strikers.

However, looking at fm22,23, the influence of wing forwards (inside forwards, inverted wingers) is gradually decreasing.

In particular, the most recent match engine update turned both wingers into passing midfielders.

No dribbling, no daring breakthroughs, no shooting. It's just a back pass, a cross, hitting the end line and running.

increasingly disappointing.

No matter how many times I raise a problem in the bug trigger, it doesn't listen at all.

Yea the problem of IF not cutting inside is from the FM22 beta

We gave them like over 100 + examples and PKM's, this will never getting fixed

Hi all, 

I'm new here, was looking for a place to give some feedback. mostly about statistics vs reality. 
Many events in FM23 are completely unrealistic compared to what you could see IRL. 

The latest example that I just spotted is the amount of aerials won per game. My two center backs average more than 15 aerials won per game each. The maximum for a player in the Premier League this season is Mitrovic with 5.1 / 90 minutes. And the 2nd one Ben Mee only has 3.4 / 90 minutes. 

The biggest average per team in the PL is Brentford with 16 / 90 minutes. Even in Kick and Rush leagues like Championship, League One and League Two you don't see that many aerials per game, this is way off... 

Another which you will probably have all noticed, is the % of shots ending up on the posts. 

Most unlucky team in Premier League this season is Newcastle with 8 shots on the post, out of 230 shots (3.5% of shots). 

My team in FM23 see 8% of their shots on the posts. 

I love the game, sorry if I don't feedback on the hundreds of things that are amazing in FM23. But I'd just like to contribute to make the game even better! 

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, lelondonieng said:

Hi all, 

I'm new here, was looking for a place to give some feedback. mostly about statistics vs reality. 
Many events in FM23 are completely unrealistic compared to what you could see IRL. 

The latest example that I just spotted is the amount of aerials won per game. My two center backs average more than 15 aerials won per game each. The maximum for a player in the Premier League this season is Mitrovic with 5.1 / 90 minutes. And the 2nd one Ben Mee only has 3.4 / 90 minutes. 

The biggest average per team in the PL is Brentford with 16 / 90 minutes. Even in Kick and Rush leagues like Championship, League One and League Two you don't see that many aerials per game, this is way off... 

Another which you will probably have all noticed, is the % of shots ending up on the posts. 

Most unlucky team in Premier League this season is Newcastle with 8 shots on the post, out of 230 shots (3.5% of shots). 

My team in FM23 see 8% of their shots on the posts. 

I love the game, sorry if I don't feedback on the hundreds of things that are amazing in FM23. But I'd just like to contribute to make the game even better! 

Hi and thanks for the post. Yeah it is something we're always looking at with statistics and how they reflect with real life. Our stats aren't always compiled and recorded exactly as they are in real life (so in terms of say what constitutes a cross for instance - does that include set pieces? Does a blocked shot that hits the post count as hit woodwork etc?) but that's something we're trying to get aligned.

With our match engine above everything else we want it to look like football and reflect football as much as possible. So that the outcome and balance is as close as we can get it. Would be pointless to have a situation where nearly every single stat aligns with real life, but games all end up with 10 goals in them for instance. That's why as we work to balance, we'll prioritise realism in some areas over others - so say goals per game, or number of shots, bookings, injuries etc - those that have a big impact on results and the overall game itself.

Saying that, we're always looking to fine tune and feedback is useful from within the community. We are aware for instance that shots that hit the woodwork is higher than it should be, but the number of goals per game is close to RL. If we make changes to say make shots slightly less accurate, we may end up with a situation where less shots are hitting the post which is great, but there are less goals in games which would be bad. 

So yes, please do provide feedback and raise any issues via our Bug Tracker here - https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/

Just understand that with something as complex as the match engine, there's a big difference between spotting an issue and being able to make changes that improve the overall experience. 

Thanks. 

Still don't understand how "FM is too easy". I started a new save with Salzburg and I am now watching my five star players losing match after match after match against inferior teams. Five in a row so far. They all meet me with the same weird boooooring defensive Mickey Mouse tactic, and there's absolutley nothing I can do about it. My players are doing the exact opposite of what I want them to do, the heat maps and walls of text that is there to "help" me are confusing and intimidating, and if I ever manage to get a shot at their goal, there's always an offside or a 5.8 season average goalkeeper with the save of the year to stop the fun. Listen to my idiot assistant manager, you say? The guy with tactical knowledge 20? Well, nothing he suggests work. Fact is, I do better (read lose with fever goals) if I completley ignore his nonsense. No exaggeration, this game will give me an aneurysm one of these days.

4 minutes ago, Viking said:

Still don't understand how "FM is too easy". I started a new save with Salzburg and I am now watching my five star players losing match after match after match against inferior teams. Five in a row so far. They all meet me with the same weird boooooring defensive Mickey Mouse tactic, and there's absolutley nothing I can do about it. My players are doing the exact opposite of what I want them to do, the heat maps and walls of text that is there to "help" me are confusing and intimidating, and if I ever manage to get a shot at their goal, there's always an offside or a 5.8 season average goalkeeper with the save of the year to stop the fun. Listen to my idiot assistant manager, you say? The guy with tactical knowledge 20? Well, nothing he suggests work. Fact is, I do better (read lose with fever goals) if I completley ignore his nonsense. No exaggeration, this game will give me an aneurysm one of these days.

FM is easy if you use tactics which Match Engine can't handle. It is also easy because AI squad management is awful, for example, they can ruin wonderkids by playing old players, but you as a human will give that wonderkid much more playing time so you will develop him into world class player.

But if you are playing with some tactics that makes sense to you, or you are trying to replicate some existing tactic/playing style, then it can be hard because ME can't replicate those tactics well.

For example, if you want to copy Barcelona tiki taka and to have inside forward as your main goal scorer, in some FM versions you can't do that because simply, ME does not represent Inside Forwards properly.

If you want easy wins - you can always do that, there are always tactics that are exploiting ME, you can download them or you can play trial and error until you find the tactic which works the best with current version of ME. If you want a challenge, use realistic tactics and don't exploit transfer market.

Basically, you are the one who is choosing if the game will be hard or easy.

For as much talk as there was about improved defending in FM23, I don't see it at all. Maybe it is because I am in the lower leagues, but keeping a clean sheet is practically impossible without luck. In other words, there is nothing a human player can do to best set up the team to first and foremost negate the attack. It is really sad, especially given how successful defensive tactics were at the World Cup. I hope someone who mostly plays top-level leagues will quote this saying that the defending is better at the higher levels, but, after reading through these comments, it doesn't seem likely. I ***really*** hope there is a good patch coming that makes defending possible. This current iteration of the ME means, in my experience at least, you HAVE to try to control possession or go out on the attack, or else you'll be cannon fodder. 

2 hours ago, Marko1989 said:

AI squad management is awful,

You can easily win games, too, just by resting players during fixture congestion because the AI will run their best players ragged without care. 

On 26/12/2022 at 22:38, ScottishFM said:

This, was even excited by the patch notes but the ME has been ruined.

A reason why I stopped playing FIFA as it eventually got patched down to the lowest common denominator.

1 hour ago, kepz said:

For as much talk as there was about improved defending in FM23, I don't see it at all. Maybe it is because I am in the lower leagues, but keeping a clean sheet is practically impossible without luck. In other words, there is nothing a human player can do to best set up the team to first and foremost negate the attack. It is really sad, especially given how successful defensive tactics were at the World Cup. I hope someone who mostly plays top-level leagues will quote this saying that the defending is better at the higher levels, but, after reading through these comments, it doesn't seem likely. I ***really*** hope there is a good patch coming that makes defending possible. This current iteration of the ME means, in my experience at least, you HAVE to try to control possession or go out on the attack, or else you'll be cannon fodder. 

FM 22 defending was a lot better, especially the center backs in my opinion 

But attacking play in FM23 is better, in the final third FM22 was so robotic. 

Suprised there isn't any mention of the shooting. Is it just me that sees the majority of shots go way over the bar?

Also, I remember in the game preview it was said players would open their body and curl shots into the far corner with their stronger foot..... again, anyone seen this?

The more I play the more I see exactly the same things play out, oh and the only difference between wingers and inside forwards/wingers is when they get to the byline wingers will cross, if/iws will stop, turn into their strong foot and cross. No skills, no taking on their man, no cutting inside and shooting on their strong foot.

Boring and repetetive.

Just had a beauty of a goal. My left FB blasts one from the opposite side of the area, which deflects off a defender, bounces high over the keeper's head, comes down, hits the far post and bounces into the net. 

I'm still laughing.

It seems playing in EPL you can get around the limit on u21 abroad signings  by arranging an end of contract signing for one (for after the next period commences) and then using the 'Buy Now' function.

I had about 4 transfers arranged for the end of last season cancel on me on the day due to the limit (why did the game let me arrange them - and if it was going to cancel some but not others why didn't it let me choose which?), but I was just able to add another in Jan using the above method.

:thup:

12 hours ago, Viking said:

FM is as easy or hard as you want it to be . People cheat so it can be easy.  

10 hours ago, dabest said:

Suprised there isn't any mention of the shooting. Is it just me that sees the majority of shots go way over the bar?

Also, I remember in the game preview it was said players would open their body and curl shots into the far corner with their stronger foot..... again, anyone seen this?

The more I play the more I see exactly the same things play out, oh and the only difference between wingers and inside forwards/wingers is when they get to the byline wingers will cross, if/iws will stop, turn into their strong foot and cross. No skills, no taking on their man, no cutting inside and shooting on their strong foot.

Boring and repetetive.

I often see players opening their body and shooting a curling shot with their preferred foot. Mainly midfielders. But might just be my setup.

10 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

I often see players opening their body and shooting a curling shot with their preferred foot. Mainly midfielders. But might just be my setup.

I've got Schjelderup and Bowen in the AML/AMR slots - that kind of goal is very common in my team - especially from Bowen.

On the shooting over the bar - yes; feels a bit too common. Especially from edge of box when taking a couple of strides forward would mean the same shot trajectory would take it into the roof of the net. Players seem a bit scared of running into the area and shooting - it's like the 18yd line is the 'shoot' marker.

Edited by rp1966