Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

I feel that the opt in beta is way worse tbh. It just feels like fm19 all over again with players being comically slow and always crossing/shooting even though a player is standing next to them. Then the fluidity of attacking that was a key feature of fm20 is just gone, as is the excitement of watching an attack. I think that this beta is just a bandaid fix of our issues but was handled by nerfing the capability of attacking players instead of buffing defenders. Issues of FM19 like headers finding an opponent more often than not are back again as well.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

- opponent player dribbles my player like he is prime Ronaldinho

Why specifically opponent players? I've noticed players in general more willing to run on the ball, it's a good thing

I didn't have the defenders lump the ball forward for a 1-on-1 problem but I noted it a few times last night, even when I had a Standard team mentality & standard D-line, the opposition pinged one over the top, we did a couple of times too  

Just now, Dequila said:

I feel that the opt in beta is way worse tbh. It just feels like fm19 all over again with players being comically slow and always crossing/shooting even though a player is standing next to them. Then the fluidity of attacking that was a key feature of fm20 is just gone, as is the excitement of watching an attack. I think that this beta is just a bandaid fix of our issues but was handled by nerfing the capability of attacking players instead of buffing defenders. Issues of FM19 like headers finding an opponent more often than not are back again as well.

What's your tactical familiarity and team cohesion? Players also make poor decisions based on this. You can't expect the team to play perfect football on first friendly of the season. More information will be good.

Edited by pats

It's as close to the max as possible, I've played almost a complete season like this and won most of the games. I mean the new beta isn't like superbad, I just think it's a step in the wrong direction because defenders still make the same mistakes, attackers just score less of the exploited mistakes, which keeps the suspension going for longer in a game but isn't what I'd like to see. That is obviously purely subjective but I feel like that is the right place to write feedback down.

5 minutes ago, Dequila said:

It's as close to the max as possible, I've played almost a complete season like this and won most of the games. I mean the new beta isn't like superbad, I just think it's a step in the wrong direction because defenders still make the same mistakes, attackers just score less of the exploited mistakes, which keeps the suspension going for longer in a game but isn't what I'd like to see. That is obviously purely subjective but I feel like that is the right place to write feedback down.

If you think something's not right in the ME do a bug report, note the match time's when see what doesn't seem right & submit the PKM :thup:

Just now, bobbyb12345 said:

First game in (public beta) and I'm 2-1 down thanks to a 30-yard screamer and a goal from a set piece. 

Have they just reloaded the 2019 engine?

One game is not a big enough sample. Those two goals could also be a co-incidence. 

Edited by pats

1 minute ago, Tiger666 said:

Of course. Telling people who you don't agree with to "behave" isn't helpful to anyone.

Albeit factually correct. Let's leave it at that before a plague of locusts descends. 

The updated match engine is top notch by the way. Looking forward to matchdays again. Top effort. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Why specifically opponent players? I've noticed players in general more willing to run on the ball, it's a good thing

I didn't have the defenders lump the ball forward for a 1-on-1 problem but I noted it a few times last night, even when I had a Standard team mentality & standard D-line, the opposition pinged one over the top, we did a couple of times too  

Opponents winger dribbled 3-4 my defenders and went alone with the GK, but must admit that was before I put to press him and tackle harder. After that it was good.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

Albeit factually correct. Let's leave it at that before a plague of locusts descends. 

The updated match engine is top notch by the way. Looking forward to matchdays again. Top effort. 

Are you insulting me because I point to flaws in the match engine?

I reported your posts, this is disrespectful of other peoples opinions

I hope the moderators are consistent with warnings whether you have a positive or negative opinion on current state of the game

Edited by thejay

By the way, has anyone who is managing in the lower leagues in England noticed the shockingly low level of determination among young players? A high percentage of young free agents have between 1-5 for this attribute. Is FM finally reflecting the entitled generation? Realistic if so. 

50 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

First game in (public beta) and I'm 2-1 down thanks to a 30-yard screamer and a goal from a set piece. 

Have they just reloaded the 2019 engine?

Hmm, before I signed off last night it was the first round of the Polka, basically Bundesliga teams vs the regional teams & you get some cricket scores

I watched all of the goals from the games, there were some well worked goals in there & long rangers, nothing out of the ordinary, but the majority of goals came from corners, penalties, free kicks & box scrambles from the free kicks. Only a small sample & I've nothing to compare it too but I'll keep tabs on it  

From my match, the 4 scored -1 from an indirect free kick, one from a corner, one from a long ball over the top & a header from a cross after a throw in     

From what I can find on whoscored

17/18 season in the league, Man City scored 73.5% of their 106 goals from open play, the lowest seems to be Bournemouth with 58% of their 46 goals scored from open play 

Be interesting to compare a season in FM 

Edited by Johnny Ace

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

By the way, has anyone who is managing in the lower leagues in England noticed the shockingly low level of determination among young players? A high percentage of young free agents have between 1-5 for this attribute. Is FM finally reflecting the entitled generation? Realistic if so. 

I like it if that's the case. I've always felt that regens are too good and overpowered in general which I don't like. I'd rather sweat hard to find the gems among pile of average regens.

Noticed this last year - not sure I saw it enough but wondered whether this should be considered a bug?

Player gets injured, then stops playing due to injury, then gets annoyed because he's not starting. In my new public beta game for FM20, I've been in charge for two games, and a player was getting annoyed at not starting (red injury) then asked to speak to me after the second game (orange injury) saying he was unhappy about his lack of starts. Whole squad got annoyed with how I dealt with the conversation too. 

1 minute ago, bobbyb12345 said:

Noticed this last year - not sure I saw it enough but wondered whether this should be considered a bug?

Player gets injured, then stops playing due to injury, then gets annoyed because he's not starting. In my new public beta game for FM20, I've been in charge for two games, and a player was getting annoyed at not starting (red injury) then asked to speak to me after the second game (orange injury) saying he was unhappy about his lack of starts. Whole squad got annoyed with how I dealt with the conversation too. 

Players should take into account the fact that they were/are injured. If they don't (and especially if you have a save from just before the conversation) please report it in the bugs forum.

Defensive engagement for long balls is the single biggest improvement since the last update. Managing at a low level, I'd expect to see a fair number of long balls, but how the defenders are dealing with it is noticably better. Yes, they are still caught out on occasion (as it should be), but not to nearly the same extent as they were before. Also, since the update, I haven't seen a single shot from an impossible angle at the byline. There are more intelligent decisions all over the pitch. Still seeing a few long crossfield passes, but again, nothing like the regularity of before. Just played a home game vs Kidderminster and I can honestly say it was the best representation of lower league football I've seen in ANY FM match engine. 

Please don't update it again. I know it's still not perfect, but I can live with the imperfections, rather than an attempt to fix them which puts several other things out of kilter. 

Bravo SI. 

7 minutes ago, Iwabik said:

Ok, I've played 16 matches on the new ME and I'm really liking it. Obviously it's not perfect, but it's just sooo much better than the previous version. Any particular reason why this isn't the main beta?

Will be soon, I expect. Think they just wanted to see how it landed first. Or they might just wait and release the current version, it's certainly good enough to merit the full release. 

Not really a "moan" as such, because it's not really a bug - but has anyone noticed that when defending deep, players don't really pick up opposition players until they either have the ball or are about to receive it? 

Am I doing something wrong tactically, generally speaking? I don't really want to mark players super tightly, just more I want a full back moving in the general direction of their winger before the pass is made, not at the point he receives it. 

the public beta solved the ridiculous accurate long pass from player, good job. I see way less long pass than before, defender deal with long ball better. My Advanceplaymaker actually create some through ball foward, look really nicea

But its seem like there too many fouls and freekick ofc course. i think they need to reduce that

Another nice touch is the implementation of the playing time pathway scenarios in the conversation options when a player approaches you demanding more game time. You can now choose to suggest the player adopts a lesser role in the squad based on a new pathway. Nice QOL addition. 

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Another nice touch is the implementation of the playing time pathway scenarios in the conversation options when a player approcahes you demanding more game time. You can now choose to suggest the player adopts a lesser role in the squad based on a new pathway. Nice QOL addition. 

Not come across that one yet but sounds good. :thup:

The beta patch has done wonders for the match engine. I'm really amazed. So fun to watch and slowly but surely, players are starting to act like real footballers. Some small issues here and there, but I hope what they have now marks a milestone. 

Edited by rain94

37 minutes ago, dangngo6 said:

the public beta solved the ridiculous accurate long pass from player, good job. I see way less long pass than before, defender deal with long ball better. My Advanceplaymaker actually create some through ball foward, look really nicea

But its seem like there too many fouls and freekick ofc course. i think they need to reduce that

EDIT: quoted wrong post

Edited by pats

40 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

Not really a "moan" as such, because it's not really a bug - but has anyone noticed that when defending deep, players don't really pick up opposition players until they either have the ball or are about to receive it? 

Am I doing something wrong tactically, generally speaking? I don't really want to mark players super tightly, just more I want a full back moving in the general direction of their winger before the pass is made, not at the point he receives it. 

What's the anticipation and positioning ratings of your defenders? Are they good but still behaving oddly?

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

Defensive engagement for long balls is the single biggest improvement since the last update. Managing at a low level, I'd expect to see a fair number of long balls, but how the defenders are dealing with it is noticably better. Yes, they are still caught out on occasion (as it should be), but not to nearly the same extent as they were before. Also, since the update, I haven't seen a single shot from an impossible angle at the byline. There are more intelligent decisions all over the pitch. Still seeing a few long crossfield passes, but again, nothing like the regularity of before. Just played a home game vs Kidderminster and I can honestly say it was the best representation of lower league football I've seen in ANY FM match engine. 

Please don't update it again. I know it's still not perfect, but I can live with the imperfections, rather than an attempt to fix them which puts several other things out of kilter. 

Bravo SI. 

Just because its right for you they should not update? 

I posted several flaws with pkms in the bug forum and there are many more